PDA

View Full Version : I'm Planning To Play A Male Human Fighter In D&D 3.5 Game

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 12:19 AM
Hey everybody I'm going to play Jimmy Johnson, A Neutral Good Male Human Fighter. I just completed my character sheet of Jimmy Johnson. I just need help of what kind of pretisge class is good and useful for Jimmy Johnson. Here's his character sheet. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1442005 So what do you think of Jimmy? Positive and negative feedbacks are appreciated. :smile:

Darrin
2017-12-30, 06:33 AM
What sourcebooks are available? Is Tome of Battle available? How about Dragon Magazine? Online sources ok? Third party/homebrew?

Also, do you want to focus on the standard PA/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper Ubercharger route, or do you want to try something different?

Marlowe
2017-12-30, 06:37 AM
Who is giving you 1500 gp for Full Plate at first level?

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 07:16 AM
What sourcebooks are available? Is Tome of Battle available? How about Dragon Magazine? Online sources ok? Third party/homebrew?

Also, do you want to focus on the standard PA/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper Ubercharger route, or do you want to try something different?
All of them. And I'm playing a powerhouse fighter.

Who is giving you 1500 gp for Full Plate at first level?
Oops. I should have check out the price.

WesleyVos
2017-12-30, 09:13 AM

I’m the DM in that game. Dragon Magazine is out - I don’t have access to it, and there is some weird stuff in there anyway. Third party and homebrew are by approval only.

Game is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545941-Arenas-of-Nysos-(D-amp-D-3-5e)), for those who want a peek at the rules (or who may want to join).

Otherwise, Bartmanhomer, take the advice these guys give you. They know of what they speak.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 02:00 PM
I’m the DM in that game. Dragon Magazine is out - I don’t have access to it, and there is some weird stuff in there anyway. Third party and homebrew are by approval only.

Game is here (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545941-Arenas-of-Nysos-(D-amp-D-3-5e)), for those who want a peek at the rules (or who may want to join).

Otherwise, Bartmanhomer, take the advice these guys give you. They know of what they speak.
Thanks DM. :smile:

Venger
2017-12-30, 03:23 PM

Game is here (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545941-Arenas-of-Nysos-(D-amp-D-3-5e)), for those who want a peek at the rules (or who may want to join).

your link is broken.

WesleyVos
2017-12-30, 03:25 PM
your link is broken.

Fixed. That's what happens when you're trying to post from a phone while feeding the baby breakfast...

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 04:05 PM

What are those? How does that work?

KillianHawkeye
2017-12-30, 04:20 PM

PA is Power Attack, the feat that lets you exchange accuracy for damage with your melee attacks. There are a lot of things that can be taken to improve Power Attack, some of them involve doing a charge attack. An "ubercharger" is a build that is specialized for doing a metric ton of damage when charging (and ideally killing the enemy and sometimes anyone else standing nearby).

This is considered a pretty standard build style because it's one of the easiest ways to get a lot of melee damage, but you end up with a character whose turn always begins with the words "I charge..."

Darrin
2017-12-30, 06:11 PM

Ok, the basic Ubercharger build starts something like this:

Race: Human
1) Barbarian 1. Feat: Power Attack. Human: Extra Rage. Spirit Lion Totem -> Pounce (Complete Champion), Whirling Frenzy ACF (Unearthed Arcana)
2) Barbarian 2: Bonus: Improved Trip (Wolf Totem).
3) Fighter 1. Feat: Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown). Bonus: Power Lunge (Ghostwalk).
4) Fighter 2. Bonus: Improved Bull Rush.
5) Fighter 3.
6) Fighter 4. Feat: Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer). Bonus: Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior).
7) Continue --> Fighter 18.

Every round, charge something if you're able. Pounce (from Spirit Lion Totem) gives you a full attack whenever you charge. Assuming you have Str 18, Whirling Frenzy (from Unearthed Arcana) kicks this up to Str 22, so your damage is going to look something like:

7 (average for greatsword) + 12 (Str +6 x2 via Power Lunge) + 18 (6 x 3 from Power Attack/Leap Attack) = 37

At 6th level, you get three attacks when using Whirling Frenzy. If all three attacks hit, you're doing 100+ damage, each attack that does 10+ damage gives you a free trip attempt via Knock-Down, and if at least one of those trips is successful, you get a fourth attack from Improved Trip.

Your attack bonus is 6 (BAB) +6 (Str 22) -2 (Whirling Frenzy) = +10.

The downside is Shock Trooper horks up your AC. You're at -2 AC for charging and -6 AC from Shock Trooper, but get a +2 dodge bonus from Whirling Frenzy, so -6 AC total. Your combat strategy is to hit so hard on your charge that whatever you hit is dead and thus doesn't get a chance to counter-attack. Be wary of ranged attacks or other melee opponents that can close into melee range with you, as you'll likely be the proverbial "broadside of a barn".

There are a few other ways to add additional damage multipliers, such as charging with a lance, a Valorous weapon (+1 enhancement, Champions of Valor), and a couple other obscure feats that will be difficult to qualify for.

Barbarian 2/Fighter 18 can rack up the Melee Weapon Mastery line of feats and still get Weapon Supremacy (PHBII) at 20th level. If you've got room, pick up Travel Devotion (Complete Champion) at 9th/12th/15th for 10 rounds of move + charge + pounce.

PaucaTerrorem
2017-12-30, 06:20 PM
And take Craft: Sandwich

Jimmy Johnson...

Malroth
2017-12-30, 06:26 PM
There are basicly 4 categories of Fighter that actually function.

1) Uberchargers who are kings of Damage, have no defenses and squish pretty much anything level appropiate before it gets a move.
2) Area controllers who use combat reflexes with improved trip and means of increasing their reach, usually high defense low damage but keeps party safe
3) Dungeon crasher bull rush/knockback fighters who smash things into walls for their offence. Kinda like a hybrid between the previous two but doesn't function as well in their specialty.
4) Quasi Initiator, Take multiple instances of Martial Study and Martial Stance to pretend to be a Martial Adept. Great versitility but not as good as an actual tome of battle class.

WesleyVos
2017-12-30, 06:39 PM
There are basicly 4 categories of Fighter that actually function.

1) Uberchargers who are kings of Damage, have no defenses and squish pretty much anything level appropiate before it gets a move.
2) Area controllers who use combat reflexes with improved trip and means of increasing their reach, usually high defense low damage but keeps party safe
3) Dungeon crasher bull rush/knockback fighters who smash things into walls for their offence. Kinda like a hybrid between the previous two but doesn't function as well in their specialty.
4) Quasi Initiator, Take multiple instances of Martial Study and Martial Stance to pretend to be a Martial Adept. Great versitility but not as good as an actual tome of battle class.

Bartman, I agree with this. The arenas I set up are not going to be easy, so specializing (rather than going jack-of-all-trades) is a good idea. Either of the first two options is really good. The other possibility is multiclassing into something that synergizes with your concept to add some versatility. From what I can gather, your concept is a traditional fighter - good with a sword, lots of damage, right?

DEMON
2017-12-30, 06:42 PM

Game is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545941-Arenas-of-Nysos-(D-amp-D-3-5e)), for those who want a peek at the rules (or who may want to join).

Oh mommy, reading this I really feel like joining with a simple Orc Druid build, but the 1st quarter is always a busy period at our work, so I'll have to pass, sadly.

To OP, regarding his build: Starting at 2nd level, Dungeoncrasher is already on the table and so is (non-DC) 1st level Goliath Build.
Personally, I'd go a reach weapon (guisarme) and a +STR composite longbow and dump CHA to hell and below, unless you intend to utilize that skill.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 07:20 PM
Bartman, I agree with this. The arenas I set up are not going to be easy, so specializing (rather than going jack-of-all-trades) is a good idea. Either of the first two options is really good. The other possibility is multiclassing into something that synergizes with your concept to add some versatility. From what I can gather, your concept is a traditional fighter - good with a sword, lots of damage, right?

It's got high strength damage plus Power Attack so yeah.

WesleyVos
2017-12-30, 10:24 PM
It's got high strength damage plus Power Attack so yeah.

Then yeah, I'd at least pick up your next two levels in barbarian (we can refluff the class; it's the mechanics you need). After that, we'll see.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 10:27 PM
Then yeah, I'd at least pick up your next two levels in barbarian (we can refluff the class; it's the mechanics you need). After that, we'll see.

That will things everything then. :frown:

WesleyVos
2017-12-30, 10:33 PM

Huh? Not sure what you meant by this. The barbarian class is just a name. I've seen it played as a fighter who enters a state of absolute concentration, blocking out all distractions and focusing on the fight (rage/whirling frenzy and uncanny dodge), and exceptional physical training makes him run faster (fast movement). Illiteracy would be waived, as he can already read and write. That gets you your two levels of barbarian without you being an uncouth lout that foams at the mouth.

Darrin
2017-12-31, 07:59 AM

If you *must* start with a level of Fighter 1 first, then you can reorder some things, but you'd probably have to lose Extra Rage until later. If you're doing arena battles, then Whirling Frenzy 1/day may be all you need for now. (You also lose out on 8 skill points.) Take Weapon Focus instead, and get started on Melee Weapon Mastery:

1) Fighter 1. Feat: Power Attack. Bonus: Weapon Focus. Human: Improved Bull Rush.
2) Barbarian 1. Spirit Lion Totem -> Pounce. Whirling Frenzy ACF.
3) Barbarian 2. Feat: Knock-Down. Bonus: Improved Trip (Wolf Totem).
4) Fighter 2. Bonus: Power Lunge.
5) Fighter 3.
6) Fighter 4. Feat: Leap Attack. Bonus: Shock Trooper.
7) MOAR Fighter, etc.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-31, 03:19 PM
Huh? Not sure what you meant by this. The barbarian class is just a name. I've seen it played as a fighter who enters a state of absolute concentration, blocking out all distractions and focusing on the fight (rage/whirling frenzy and uncanny dodge), and exceptional physical training makes him run faster (fast movement). Illiteracy would be waived, as he can already read and write. That gets you your two levels of barbarian without you being an uncouth lout that foams at the mouth.

Oh sorry about that. But that will change his alignment and his deity that he worship.

GrayDeath
2017-12-31, 03:36 PM
Why would that be the case?

Barbarians can be Neutral Good without Trouble, and there is no limit in whp/What they worship, as they are not Clerics.....

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-31, 03:40 PM
Why would that be the case?

Barbarians can be Neutral Good without Trouble, and there is no limit in whp/What they worship, as they are not Clerics.....

Really. I didn't know that. :eek:

Knaight
2017-12-31, 03:47 PM

Well, as long as this is on the table:

First thing first, you want to pick a weapon. Sword and shield is generally the best option, where you use a dagger (so you can throw it) and buckler (encumbrance). Then you want to make sure you take Weapon Focus: Dagger, and Weapon Specialization: Dagger, plus a Toughness or three. It should really help the concept. Make sure you use medium armor, to get the best of both worlds. Hide in particular is a good option, given all the rust monsters and heat metal spells around.

WesleyVos
2017-12-31, 04:48 PM
Well, as long as this is on the table:

First thing first, you want to pick a weapon. Sword and shield is generally the best option, where you use a dagger (so you can throw it) and buckler (encumbrance). Then you want to make sure you take Weapon Focus: Dagger, and Weapon Specialization: Dagger, plus a Toughness or three. It should really help the concept. Make sure you use medium armor, to get the best of both worlds. Hide in particular is a good option, given all the rust monsters and heat metal spells around.

Fixed that for you. Be kind to the new player.

Oh sorry about that. But that will change his alignment and his deity that he worship.

Also, Bartman, I don't enforce alignment restrictions, so barbarians need not be chaotic or neutral. On top of that, we're essentially taking the mechanics of the class and tossing all the fluff associated with it, which makes the alignment restriction make no sense anyway. His rage ability is (I assume) going to be closer to an absolute combat focus instead of frothing-at-the-mouth. In that case, even lawful would make sense.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-31, 05:39 PM
Fixed that for you. Be kind to the new player.

Also, Bartman, I don't enforce alignment restrictions, so barbarians need not be chaotic or neutral. On top of that, we're essentially taking the mechanics of the class and tossing all the fluff associated with it, which makes the alignment restriction make no sense anyway. His rage ability is (I assume) going to be closer to an absolute combat focus instead of frothing-at-the-mouth. In that case, even lawful would make sense.
Oh that's good to hear.

Endarire
2017-12-31, 07:08 PM
Hood (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=7200), letting you one-shot or one-round anything you can hit since 2007.

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-03, 06:00 PM
I could always tried Fighter/Barbarian/Bear Warrior. :confused: