PDA

View Full Version : Rolled stats in order for a 1 shot. What class to play?

KingWhipsy
2017-12-30, 12:39 AM
The stats rolled are:
STR: 13
DEX: 14
CON: 16
INT: 13
WIS: 16
CHA: 13

I've tried cleric twice in the past and don't like it and don't like druid much either. Unfortunately those are the classes that work best with the stats I rolled. We will be level 6 and the party so far is a ranged battlemaster, assassination rogue, kensei monk, lore bard, and then me. So GitP, what class/multiclass works best with these stats and fills the party void best?

gloryblaze
2017-12-30, 12:41 AM
Elf or aarakocra ranger would work well (bump dex to 16), either the twf variety or the archer variety

Talamare
2017-12-30, 01:59 AM
Barbarian, maybe Fighter

Enough Dex for Medium Armor
Tons of Con for HP
High Wis for Save Protection

has everything you need to be a Tank

Crgaston
2017-12-30, 09:26 PM
Your stats are screaming Monk or Ranger, but looks like the party could use some AOE. So maybe a half elf Draconic sorcerer- Con saves, +1 HP/lvl and AC boost. Put your +1s in Str and Dex for 14/15/16/13/16/15, then bump your Dex and Cha at L4. 4 16s is NOT shabby. You could have the 4 16s with Tabaxi as well, or Drow. A Tabaxi Draconic Sorc would be lots of fun to RP.

(Or a High elf if you were more interested in Int... Heck, this might be a good opportunity to do a Bladesinger.)

Fighter1/Sorc5 might work as well, using a longbow/heavy crossbow (Archery FS) for your ranged damage and loading up on utility cantrips and debuff/control spells. With the armor proficiency and 4 extra fighter HP you wouldn’t be as dependent on Draconic Sorcerer, either, so maybe Divine Soul if you wanted a little extra healing ability.

This is a tough assignment. Those stats are decent for SO much.

E’Tallitnics
2017-12-30, 10:05 PM
With that spread I'd play the standard human. Congratulations! You can now play any class, in any order, that you wish...

You'll have 20 levels in which to dip into, and out of, classes as you wish. Cherry picking class features as you go. You'll be the MacGyver of your party! Never really good at any one thing, but you'll always have something you can do to help out your party or hinder your opponents.

Have fun!

sambojin
2017-12-30, 11:17 PM
Depending on just what stuff you can take, and if you'll possibly get a level in this one-off, what you want is a Bugbear melee Battlemaster. ASI the odd Str/Dex at 4th, and then choose a feat for 6th. Smash stuff good, with BM die options. Either Sentinel or PAM would work fine. +5' reach is nice, though it would be better with both feats, but stats are needed for it to work. Or ASI your main attack stat at 6th as well (BM dice do give you a few options so melee isn't completely boring). Polearm Master is good enough though (there's nothing about reach in it, so bonus action tap away).

If you do get another level, and are allowed to use it, go for a lvl of Mystic. No prerequisites, big AC+ possible, and more bigness if you want to think about it. Or a lvl of Warlock for Hex. Basically, anything. Mystic v3 is the best 1lvl dip ever, but anything's good.

Is having both reasonable strength and dexterity a waste? Of course. But you'll have lots of stats at that point. 16/16/16/13/16/13 at the minimum. So yeah, quite good. You can do lots. You're probably as good of an archer as the other battlemaster at lvl6, but you can do so much more. 3 melee attacks FTW :)

Heaps of options with those stats, so why not choose something silly but moderately effective?

A Firbolg wouldn't be terrible with those stats, but that's mostly because I like the race. Free magic is good magic. I don't even know what class I'd choose for it. Well, druid or cleric, obviously, but since you don't like them, there's a few other ways you could go.

2D8HP
2017-12-30, 11:33 PM
The stats rolled are:
By Crom those are good rolls!

Except that you already have a Rogue in the party, I'd enhance what you rolled well in, and play a Wood Elf Rogue, with Expertise in Perception and Stealth.

At first level you'd roll d20+8 for Perception, and d20+7 for Stealth, not too shabby!

As others have suggested, Ranger would be good, and with that high CON a Barbarian would have a high AC with Unarmored Defense.

The high WIS could also go towards are Monks Unarmored Defense as well.

sambojin
2017-12-30, 11:49 PM
Two monks are better than one. Maybe a Firbolg open-hand Monk? Or a "you decide, whatever" monk? At least you get a few magic tricks from racial (mini-invis, disguise, etc), you can ASI Dex to 16, and you'll have a tiny bit of armour for the effort. Str is kind of wasted, but meh. You could be packmule at least :)

So many options..... I'm almost certain that a melee Bugbear BM with a possible splash of Mystic or even Rogue is inherently "better" though. With even bigger wasted stats.

If you wanted to have a laugh, Bugbear Moon Druid 3/Fighter BM 3 could be fun. Fight, HP sponge, cast, etc, etc. There's nothing stopping a bear being anatomically "larger" than those other bears. I'll have to check RAW, but natural weapons are essentially "weapon attacks" and "melee weapon attacks" for the most part. So BM die compatible.

Oh god, he changed into a bear!

Oh god, now he's changed back, and has armour as well!

Just have fun :)

Jgosse
2017-12-31, 08:17 AM
The stats rolled are:

I like the highelf blade singer idea but would do fighter 2/blade singer 4.

DEX: 16
INT: 16

Or maybe a half elf paladin.

DEX: 16
CHA: 16
Str or int 14. Both have advantages . Play with sub rase options in SCAG.

Goliath barbarian

Str 16
Dex 14
CON 18
INT 13
WIS 16
CHA 13

Good tank build. Ac 16/18 depending if you use a shield .

A monk build is also possible.

Or anything with the right variant human.

Zalabim
2017-12-31, 09:12 AM
The stats rolled are:

I've tried cleric twice in the past and don't like it and don't like druid much either. Unfortunately those are the classes that work best with the stats I rolled. We will be level 6 and the party so far is a ranged battlemaster, assassination rogue, kensei monk, lore bard, and then me. So GitP, what class/multiclass works best with these stats and fills the party void best?
Let me try to break down your party:
Ranged battlemaster - Dexterity based, prefers range. May work in melee with crossbow expert. Medium or light armor, probably 16 or 17 AC. D10 hit die.
Assassin Rogue - Dexterity based, may work in melee or range. Prefers surprise though, and surprise prefers range. Light armor, probably 16 or 17 AC. D8 hit die.
Kensei Monk - Dexterity based, may work in melee or range. AC unknown, 15 would be low up to (rolled stats) 20 AC in melee. D8 hit die. Basically a bunch of unknowns.
Lore Bard - Charisma based. May work in melee or range, but light armor so AC 14 to 16 and D8 hit die.
Fill in the blank - This party really needs a heavily armored melee cleric, obviously.
But really, this whole party is leaning on Dexterity pretty hard, so bringing a character who keep stealth as an option would leave you with good team synergy. The bard is the only spellcaster right now, so probably can't handle that whole load alone. Backup healing would be nice so you aren't relying entirely on the bard (aka wizard 2.0 - now with extra squish), even if you try to cover non-healing support roles like crowd control. It's possible that the whole rest party will be squishy and playing keepaway, so someone who can perform its role while in melee is recommended, but keep ranged options open so you aren't tanking needlessly. With the battle master, monk, and bard you have three party members (and a good healing supply) who all benefit from more short rests, so that's a synergy to consider. Finally, with your stat line you can even play off of one of your dump stats, but I wouldn't try to play off two or more.

Verdict - Of the twelve classes, I'm throwing out Paladin for wrong stats, Cleric and Druid for preference, Fighter for redundancy or heavy armor and melee focus, Barbarian for melee focus, and Sorcerer/Warlock/Bard for redundant (and lower) ability score with the lore bard. This leaves Ranger, Monk, Rogue, and Wizard. In all cases, I want to plug Healer as a good feat that's good with this party.

Ranger is the simplest fit. Pick a +2 dexterity race and the spell list supports stealth, a little area effect or crowd control, and a healing spell in an emergency.

Monk is my second string recommendation, with a lot of good archetypes besides Kensei for this party, like Long Death (most melee, but temp HP and Fear), Sun Soul (extended range and burning hands), and Way of the Four Elements (melee, but anti-crowd support with Shatter and Hold Person as generic suggestions).

For rogue I'd recommend Arcane Trickster to still take some support spells the bard can't fit in. Here it's important to consider what skill roles the current rogue and bard have already chosen, so you can broaden the party's competence. It's probably scout and face, so you'd have room for handling traps, lore, or information gathering/filtering with investigation and insight.

While Wizard is a weaker option for your stats, and another squishy PC in a may-be-paper-thin-already party, you may end up with the highest Int score in the party, wizard or not. I'd probably try Abjurer, and not try to gish with bladesinger, for example.

[*All recommendations in order of most recommended to least recommended*]

opaopajr
2017-12-31, 09:30 AM
Your party is a distance first-strike combat, high exploration, high social party. Play up to that. Go 'batman' wizard (where you use mostly support trick spells) and go to town.

Race is almost inconsequential to me here. Only real stand outs for me are regular human (because you have 3 odd stats) or variant human (because you can plug up 2 odd stats and get a feat). Me personally? I'd go Lightfoot Halfling so you can hide behind your already stealth-ready allies, because funny.

An Illusionist might be real fun for this group!

Citan
2017-12-31, 09:45 AM
The stats rolled are:

Hi! Great rolls ;) Lets see...

With that spread I'd play the standard human. Congratulations! You can now play any class, in any order, that you wish...

You'll have 20 levels in which to dip into, and out of, classes as you wish. Cherry picking class features as you go. You'll be the MacGyver of your party! Never really good at any one thing, but you'll always have something you can do to help out your party or hinder your opponents.

Have fun!
I'd tend to agree with that. ;) You could mix and match many great things if you're into multiclassing. Even without, you'd still boast very interesting stats if you consider one ASI spent on +1 bump of two stats. ;)

Your stats are screaming Monk or Ranger, but looks like the party could use some AOE. So maybe a half elf Draconic sorcerer- Con saves, +1 HP/lvl and AC boost. Put your +1s in Str and Dex for 14/15/16/13/16/15, then bump your Dex and Cha at L4. 4 16s is NOT shabby. You could have the 4 16s with Tabaxi as well, or Drow. A Tabaxi Draconic Sorc would be lots of fun to RP.

(Or a High elf if you were more interested in Int... Heck, this might be a good opportunity to do a Bladesinger.)

Fighter1/Sorc5 might work as well, using a longbow/heavy crossbow (Archery FS) for your ranged damage and loading up on utility cantrips and debuff/control spells. With the armor proficiency and 4 extra fighter HP you wouldn’t be as dependent on Draconic Sorcerer, either, so maybe Divine Soul if you wanted a little extra healing ability.

This is a tough assignment. Those stats are decent for SO much.
Well, 4E Elements fits very well here, as well as Sun Soul: although 4E is a rather late bloomer, whereas Sun Soul gives good immediate benefits and lower cost Burning Hands.

Besides that, I'd argue that a Gnome Eldricht Knight paired with Bladesinger (better AC, better concentration) or Evoker (friendly AOE) would be perfect: either one as main and other as dip, or both as a balanced dual-class (more painful to level though).

Or just go Ranger as other people say, there are a pretty balanced and versatile class in themselves... :)

Ivor_The_Mad
2017-12-31, 05:27 PM
I'd try a ranger. I like them and they are pretty fun. They can also be used for close quarter combat and stealth. They also have a bit of magic.

Nidgit
2017-12-31, 10:50 PM
Ranger is the obvious pick, but since you're playing at Level 6, why not go Paladin? DEX is a little easier to run but STR is viable too. More importantly, you're adding a +3 to everyone's saving throws and get some solid spellcasting to go with it.

You'll be tough and decently competent no matter what you pick, but I agree with everyone else saying more spellcasting should be a priority.

sambojin
2018-01-01, 12:19 AM
Except me (grumble, grumble). I stand by my melee Bugbear BM suggestion. You'll be like the other ninja/monk. But good. And with real armour too.

Citan
2018-01-01, 05:55 AM
Ranger is the obvious pick, but since you're playing at Level 6, why not go Paladin? DEX is a little easier to run but STR is viable too. More importantly, you're adding a +3 to everyone's saving throws and get some solid spellcasting to go with it.

You'll be tough and decently competent no matter what you pick, but I agree with everyone else saying more spellcasting should be a priority.
Didn't notice that OP was starting level 6.

Then (Ancients) Paladin would be a great addition to the team as a single-class: Ensnaring Strike and other smite spells for single target control, Moonbeam for crowd control, Aura of Protection immediately, Aura of Warding on next level, Misty Step for emergency escapes...
Or another Oath to boost your kinda weak attack roll.

With that said, Ranger has some arguments too (beyond the already strong point of "rolled stats totally fitting"): Ensnaring Strike again, Pass Without Trace, Silence, Healing Spirit, and later Wind Wall, Plant Growth or Lightning Arrow.
So really for a single class I'd stay on Ranger (Hunter) if you want easiest to play and versatile.

Then comes Bladesinger: if you care about Extra Attack go pure, otherwise pick one level of...
- Fighter for constitution proficiency, TWF style and light armor proficiency if you plan on using Haste and unleash melee hell.
- Draconic Sorcerer for constitution proficiency, "perma-MageArmor", additional cantrips and utility spells if you plan on using only cantrips.
I'd go with second option personally simply because here the choice of a pure caster would be to bring magical oomph to the party, so self-buffing with Haste would ruin the premise (using spell slots, blocking concentration).

Now if you want some crazy multiclass, you could go Bladesinger 2 / Hexblade Warlock 1 / Draconic Sorcerer 3:Forgot that party really needed a powerful caster, so probably not a good idea, sadly, because your stats scream for funky multiclass. :)