PDA

View Full Version : Oozes

dyslexicfaser
2007-08-22, 04:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a tiny/small/medium sized ooze?

I'd been thinking of a way to turn an ooze into a PC or NPC - Awaken works on trees and animals, but Im not sure it would for a mindless creature - but the first step is finding a reasonably-sized one.

All the things I found - Gelatinous Cubes, Black Puddings, and the like - would need a hefty LA before even trying, due to HD and such.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-22, 04:29 PM
You could ask your dm if you can play without racial HD.

I don't know. You could also ask your dm if you can play as a permanently reduced ooze.

Captain van der Decken
2007-08-22, 05:34 PM
Googling medium ooze gets me this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040916a) this (http://forums.rpghost.com/showthread.php?p=746561#post746561) and this (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersOtoR.html)(scroll to the bottom).

Joltz
2007-08-22, 05:44 PM
Oozes are naturally powerful, so you're going to have some form of LA regardless. If one of my players wanted to play an ooze without having horrible LA I'd looks for some flaws, curses, ect they could have and reduce the LA a little. Actually, ooze HD are pretty weak. I'd consider not giving them any LA just because they have a lot of HD. This requires a lot of thinking.

Anyway, I take a quick look through my MMs and I find...
Reason Stealer--a medium sized mindless ooze that can "eat" people's minds to gain sentience for one day. (MM II)
Conflagration Ooze--It's large size, but it's already intelligent. (MM III)
Snowflake Ooze--medium size, mindless (MM III)
Summoning Ooze--medium size, it's already intelligent and it has some summoning spells as spell-like abilities (MM III)

There are probably lots of other oozes that would work in other books. In one book (PHB II or DMG II, whichever describes organizations) it describes an intelligent gelatinous cube NPC. It's the leader of the sewer worker's guild XD

I think the easiest thing to do would be to look through some homebrewed oozes and pick one. If your DM supports you he can probably find a good reason to make any ooze sentient. If all else fails you could even make a new type of ooze...

ooh, do you really what to be ooze type, or do you just want a "blobby" kind of character? Phasms (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/phasm.htm) look like oozes (when they're not shapeshifted). Ouch they have a lot of hit dice though. Oh well, just throwing thoughts out...

dyslexicfaser
2007-08-22, 06:30 PM
Doesn't have to be oozes specifically, I just really liked the idea of playing something that's normally considered to be at the bottom of the foodchain, int-wise - I guess I was influenced by the slime wizard from that Dominic Deegan webcomic.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-22, 06:47 PM
My Elemental Plane of Flesh (see signature) has oozes of all sizes, from Tiny on up. None of them have LA's listed, but they could be modified to have an Intelligence score.

DracoDei
2007-08-22, 06:52 PM
Thri-Kreen or Scorpionfolk? Insects are mindless... although the anthropromorphic aspects might kill the feel for you...
Anyway there are plenty of oozes in a variety of sizes on these boards...

DraPrime
2007-08-22, 07:07 PM
Just ask the Vorpal Tribble. That guy has made so many monsters that he's probably got a medium sized ooze.

Icewalker
2007-08-22, 07:11 PM
My suggestion is to homebrew a LA+0 ooze, or get someone to do it for you. Does VT still have that request thread up?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-22, 07:24 PM
There was an Arcane Prestige Class... I *THINK* it was in Tome & Blood, not sure if it got ported to 3.5, called Oozemaster which lets you take on various Ooze traits, eventually turning into an Ooze yourself...

jjpickar
2007-08-22, 07:29 PM
The Oozemaster is in Masters of the Wild. It is made of win though you get charisma drain. Fun fact: They actually suggest this PrC for bards.:smalltongue:

Durin_Deathless
2007-08-22, 08:46 PM
the 3.5 version is in Players Guide for Faerun towards the back with other vile classes. its called Slime Lord. it originated with the drow (they have a god of oozes).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-23, 07:13 AM
Just ask the Vorpal Tribble. That guy has made so many monsters that he's probably got a medium sized ooze.
Just did a quick inventory... and it seems I have an ooze of every size from Large to Colossal, and I have a swarm of fine-sized oozes and diminutive ooze.

In other words all sizes but what he's looking for. Figures don't it?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-23, 08:25 AM
In one of TVT's challenges (Defenders of good, I think), I made a Positive Energy Slime (I forgot the name offhand) which was attracted to undead and had a Disruption effect on it's natural attacks... (which would go off every turn if it engulfed an undead...)

IIRC, it was Medium.