PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Items Equipped while Wild Shaped: ?

Endarire
2017-12-30, 03:51 AM
I checked the Druid SRD entry and the Rules Compendium 26, but still feel conflicted about our GM's interpreted what happens if a Wild Shaped creature equips an item without a Wilding Clasp/similar ability while Wild Shaped.

My interpretation was that, once shaped, the item no longer melds into my form if I can wear it. For example, if I'm a dinosaur, I have a neck, and, thus, can safely wear magic amulets. The GM has cited, "Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the assumed form and becomes nonfunctional."

Anything in FAQ/errata/official sources to clarify this?

Thankee!

Crake
2017-12-30, 04:07 AM
I checked the Druid SRD entry and the Rules Compendium 26, but still feel conflicted about our GM's interpreted what happens if a Wild Shaped creature equips an item without a Wilding Clasp/similar ability while Wild Shaped.

My interpretation was that, once shaped, the item no longer melds into my form if I can wear it. For example, if I'm a dinosaur, I have a neck, and, thus, can safely wear magic amulets. The GM has cited, "Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the assumed form and becomes nonfunctional."

Anything in FAQ/errata/official sources to clarify this?

Thankee!

Ask your DM if he's happy with your character becoming a walking back of holding while wildshaped? Because if his interpretation is correct (any gear put onto you in your wildshaped form immediately melds into your form), then you can just keep equipping filled backpacks and having them meld into your form over and over and over, to allow you to carry practically infinite gear.

The melding thing happens when the transformation occurs, once the transformation is over, no more melding happens.

Deophaun
2017-12-30, 11:29 AM
1) Grapple enemies while wild shaped
2) Claim you are now wearing grappled enemies.
3) Enemies meld into you and become nonfunctional (aka dead).

jdizzlean
2017-12-31, 11:22 AM
the way it works is all the crap you're carrying around as a human/elf/whatever melds into you when you wildshape. the only things that function while you're wildshaped are those that have wildling clasps or have the wild enhancement. if you turn into a dino, and a party member comes up and puts a magic item on you afterwards, it'll function normally.

Endarire
2017-12-31, 07:11 PM
I'll talk with the GM about this, because otherwise my Druid has turned into a Katamari (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePcDSutt_Ww)!

mattie_p
2018-01-01, 09:21 AM
I'll talk with the GM about this, because otherwise my Druid has turned into a Katamari (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePcDSutt_Ww)!

I fully endorse this interpretation.

finaldooms
2018-01-01, 09:40 AM
Im honestly commenting on this cause i saw katamari...my friend hates,playing those around me because if you change katamari to balls it makes sense and he hates that

Also im guessing i read that wrong..the neck item was already on when you changed? Or someone put it on you..if first then yes you need wilding clasps or else it no longer functions. .if other then it should work like a normal magic item yes?

Crake
2018-01-01, 09:50 AM
Im honestly commenting on this cause i saw katamari...my friend hates,playing those around me because if you change katamari to balls it makes sense and he hates that

Also im guessing i read that wrong..the neck item was already on when you changed? Or someone put it on you..if first then yes you need wilding clasps or else it no longer functions. .if other then it should work like a normal magic item yes?

From what I understand, it is indeed the latter.

animewatcha
2018-01-02, 01:04 AM
A little bit of a dysfunction. When you are about to wildshape. Claim that you are carrying the world.

Oooo, wildshape with a sphere of annihilation as part of your gear.

Fizban
2018-01-02, 01:15 AM
FAQ uses the usual wording for polymorph, but Wild Shape was errata'd into being alternate form with caveats instead of polymorph with caveats. The errata says "add this paragraph," and the first line of the added paragraph is "Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional." So the RAW ruling is pretty clear cut.

As for carrying the world, you can't carry things above your maximum load so good luck with that. Someone said you need str 240 to hit planetary weight I think?

Endarire
2018-01-04, 03:45 AM
The GM's interpretation was that non-Wild items equipped while Wild Shaped melded anyway. Touching creatures or objects alone didn't count as equipping them. Weight still mattered.