PDA

View Full Version : What is the gestation period of dwarves in Stickverse?

brian 333
2017-12-30, 02:45 PM
So, what is it? Depending on your source, dwarves live two to five times longer than humans, but that may be irrelevant since blue whales have about the same lifespan as humans and mature in only ten years.

However, Kudzu is old enough to begin echolalia which, at least in my family, implies he is at least nine months old. So, if dwarves have a gestation and growth period similar to humans, it could be as little as eighteen months since Hilgya last saw Durkon. However, without knowing the dwarven growth pattern it could conceivably be two to four times that duration, so as much as six years.

Kish
2017-12-30, 02:47 PM
Only Rich could tell you, and he's not going to until/unless it's revealed in-story.

hamishspence
2017-12-30, 02:57 PM
Given that Haley received her letter "eight months before" the Order of the Stick was founded, and given that Tyrinaria was created "two years before" the present strips - then it's possible that (as of this thread)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?153099-How-much-time-has-passed-since-the-beginning-of-OotS&p=8569129&viewfull=1#post8569129

only 16 months had gone by since the events of Dungeon Crawling Fools, and the start of the strip.

Jasdoif
2017-12-30, 02:58 PM
Only Rich could tell you, and he's not going to until/unless it's revealed in-story.The closest comment we have on the subject is an unwillingness to "delve too deeply into differences in maturity and/or child rearing between species".

Which isn't at all close to an answer :smalltongue:

SavageWombat
2017-12-30, 03:25 PM
My understanding (IANAB) is that gestation periods have little to do with lifespan and much more to do with body mass at birth. So I would put dwarven gestation period at slightly less than human. However, since we do know that lifespan affects childhood development length - at least as far as elves go - the baby may therefore spend a longer time in infancy than a human.