PDA

View Full Version : I Made My Own Version Of Pun-Pun

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 09:30 PM
Hey everybody. As the title said I made my own version of Pun-Pun. I used the kobold favored class: Sorcerer. And yes he does have a last name and a good backstory. Here's Pun-Pun character sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1437544 I'm focusing on Evocation spells mostly on it. So tell me what you think. Positive and negative feedbacks are appreciated.

Desril
2017-12-30, 09:37 PM
You don't know what Pun-Pun is, do you? :smallconfused:

InvisibleBison
2017-12-30, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to take Maximize Spell as your 6th level feat and take something you can actually use as your 1st level feat?

He does know what Pun-Pun is; look at the description section of the character sheet. This character is named after the famous Pun-Pun, he isn't supposed to be him.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 09:45 PM

I know who Pun-Pun is. Didn't you read the title of this thread said?

ericgrau
2017-12-30, 10:30 PM
You don't get bonus spells known for having a high charisma. Only bonus spells per day.

Wouldn't it make more sense to take Maximize Spell as your 6th level feat and take something you can actually use as your 1st level feat?

Maybe, but I often find I want to take at least 1 metamagic feat before I can use it because that's the only way to fit it in. Still it could wait until level 3 or 6.

I get that this isn't meant to break the game and perhaps not even be optimal, but we can at least go for good casual fun. Let's see you seem to like to go boom or flash and are relying on the Player's Handbook. So something simple.

Spells
Level 0 (4): Light, ghost sound, open/close, prestidigitation. Next: any, probably detect magic.
Level 1 (2): Color spray, burning hands. Next: mage armor, magic missile, trade color spray for ray of enfeeblement, feather fall. Later trade away burning hands too.
Level 2: Future pyrotechnics, false life, invisibility
Level 3: Future fireball, slow

Prestidigitation: Read the spell, cleaning, flavoring, other stuff that just looks cool.
Open/close: Every door in the dungeon in case it's trapped
Color spray: Level 1-3 enemies
Burning hands: Level 2-4 enemies
Pyrotechnics: Make sure you explain to your party that they must close their eyes in the first round after they take their turn. You carry a torch, or better yet an everburning torch. Wait until all your allies' eyes are closed, close your eyes then cast pyrotechnics. You can also make a code word to tell them to close their eyes again if needed. If you sneak up on an enemy from 200+' away, that works too. Shoot a flaming crossbow bolt at the enemy camp if needed.
Mage armor, false life: Cast them ahead of time to keep you safe and so when a fight starts you can attack right away.
Ray of enfeeblement: Strong individual enemies.
Magic missile: Backup only if fireball, slow and ray of enfeeblement won't work well.
Invisibility: Good to cast on the whole party to sneak past things. Cast on doors to see into the next room. Cast on an item you want to hide. It's a lot of fun.

Feats: spell focus (transmutation), level 3 greater spell focus (transmutation). Level 6 not sure, depends on plans.

Familiar: Get a toad for the HP because you're really vulnerable at levels 1-2 and I don't want to over-complicate things.

There, hopefully that will be easy, fun to play and flashy.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 10:38 PM
You don't get bonus spells known for having a high charisma. Only bonus spells per day.

Maybe, but I often find I want to take at least 1 metamagic feat before I can use it because that's the only way to fit it in. Still it could wait until level 3 or 6.

I get that this isn't meant to break the game and perhaps not even be optimal, but we can at least go for good casual fun. Let's see you seem to like to go boom or flash and are relying on the Player's Handbook. So something simple.

Level 0 (4): Light, ghost sound, open/close, prestidigitation. Next: any, probably detect magic.
Level 1 (2): Color spray, burning hands. Next: mage armor, magic missile, trade color spray for ray of enfeeblement, feather fall. Later trade away burning hands too.
Level 2: Future pyrotechnics, false life, invisibility
Level 3: Future fireball, slow

Feats: spell focus (transmutation), level 3 greater spell focus (transmutation). Level 6 not sure, depends on plans.

Get a toad familiar for the HP because you're really vulnerable at levels 1-2 and I don't want to over-complicate things.

Prestidigitation: Read the spell, cleaning, flavoring, other stuff that just looks cool.

Future spells
Pyrotechnics: Make sure you explain to your party that they must close their eyes in the first round after they take their turn. You carry a torch, or better yet an everburning torch. Wait until all your allies' eyes are closed, close your eyes then cast pyrotechnics. You can also make a code word to tell them to close their eyes again if needed. If you sneak up on an enemy from 200+' away, that works too. Shoot a flaming crossbow bolt at the enemy camp if needed.
Mage armor, false life: Cast them ahead of time to keep you safe and so when a fight starts you can attack right away.
Ray of enfeeblement: Strong individual enemies.
Magic missile: Backup only if fireball, slow and ray of enfeeblement won't work well.

There, hopefully that will be easy, fun to play and flashy.
That the one and only book I know. Unless if there's better spells and prestige class, I'm all ears. And I'm not going to go crazy and overpower with the famous Pun-Pun abilities which I forgot to mention it earlier.

ericgrau
2017-12-30, 10:45 PM
There are lots of good spells in spell compendium too. And lots and lots of good prestige classes too. That depends which books you use and what you want to do. Prestige classes aren't until level 5 or 6 anyway, so you have plenty of time to ask before you pick one. I'll let others help with those since I'm not very good at prestige classes.

As for spell compendium it has swift expeditious retreat and nerveskitter, which are both good level 1 spells. You can skip feather fall then. You could nerveskitter the person with the lowest dexterity so everyone else can finish their first turn as quick as possible and close their eyes.

I thought you wanted lots of flashy spells but I see now you wrote a lot of evocation. If you want more evocation, you could replace greater spell focus (transmutation) with greater spell focus (evocation). Replace pyrotechnics with flaming sphere. Later trade flaming sphere for scorching ray. Get empower spell as your level 6 feat. Get resilient sphere as your 4th level spell. Replace slow with haste or sleet storm. Keep the rest the same. That way you still get to do a lot of good evocation but you get other choices too. You still shouldn't go all evocation; it's not good to have too many duplicates of the same thing.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 10:59 PM
There are lots of good spells in spell compendium too. And lots and lots of good prestige classes too. That depends which books you use and what you want to do. Prestige classes aren't until level 5 or 6 anyway, so you have plenty of time to ask before you pick one. I'll let others help with those since I'm not very good at prestige classes.

As for spell compendium it has swift expeditious retreat and nerveskitter, which are both good level 1 spells. You can skip feather fall then. You could nerveskitter the person with the lowest dexterity so everyone else can finish their first turn as quick as possible and close their eyes.

I thought you wanted lots of flashy spells but I see now you wrote a lot of evocation. If you want more evocation, you could replace greater spell focus (transmutation) with greater spell focus (evocation). Replace pyrotechnics with flaming sphere. Later trade flaming sphere for scorching ray. Get empower spell as your level 6 feat. Get resilient sphere as your 4th level spell. Replace slow with haste or sleet storm. Keep the rest the same. That way you still get to do a lot of good evocation but you get other choices too. You still shouldn't go all evocation; it's not good to have too many duplicates of the same thing.

Yeah I already want to focus on Evocation do he can cause most damage to encounters and maybe Abjuration.

ericgrau
2017-12-30, 11:10 PM
Ok how about this then:

Spells
Level 1 (2): Color spray, burning hands. Next: mage armor, magic missile, trade color spray for ray of enfeeblement, swift expeditious retreat. Later trade away burning hands too. Maybe for nerveskitter or feather fall.
Level 2: Future flaming sphere, false life, invisibility. Replace flaming sphere with scorching ray.
Level 3: Future fireball, mass energy resistance. Or scintillating sphere (spell compendium) is better than fireball if your group doesn't mind the higher power.
Level 4: Evard's black tentacles

Color spray: Use levels 1-3.
Burning hands: Use levels 2-4.
Ray of enfeeblement: Good against strong individual enemies. Good with empower spell. Goes well with fireball which is good for groups, or when you can't get a clear shot with your ray.
Magic missile: Backup only if fireball and ray of enfeeblement won't work well.
Invisibility: Good to cast on the whole party to sneak past things. Cast on doors to see into the next room. Cast on an item you want to hide. It's a lot of fun.
Evard's black tentacles It's really good to trap some enemies in this and then fireball because fireball won't hurt the tentacles.
Mass energy resistance: Use to protect your group from fire so you can fireball some more. When you first enter a dungeon cast it on your group. Out in the wilderness you might not have time to cast it, but maybe you still could if some of the enemies are hiding and you are waiting for them to appear.

Feats: Empower spell. Use on ray of enfeeblement, scorching ray, fireball and magic missile. You can even empower false life, at least until you maybe switch to heart of earth (spell compendium). Your next feats depends on your plans. Maybe get what feats you need for a prestige class. Maybe point blank shot and precise shot for rays.

Familiar: Get a toad for the HP because you're really vulnerable at levels 1-2 and I don't want to over-complicate things.

Prestige classes: I'm not good at this so I'll let others help. You could do a forum search for "mailman build" for some ideas.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 11:12 PM
Ok how about this then:

Spells
Level 1 (2): Color spray, burning hands. Next: mage armor, magic missile, trade color spray for ray of enfeeblement, swift expeditious retreat. Later trade away burning hands too.
Level 2: Future flaming sphere, false life, invisibility. Replace flaming sphere with scorching ray.
Level 3: Future fireball, mass energy resistance. Or scintillating sphere (spell compendium) is better than fireball if your group doesn't mind the higher power.
Level 4: Evard's black tentacles

Ray of enfeeblement: Strong individual enemies. Good with empower spell
Evard's black tentacles It's really good to trap some enemies in this and then fireball because fireball won't hurt the tentacles.
Mass energy resistance: Use to protect your group from fire so you can fireball some more. When you first enter a dungeon cast it on your group. Out in the wilderness you might not have time to cast it, but maybe you still could if some of the enemies are hiding and you are waiting for them to appear.

Feats: Empower spell. Use on ray of enfeeblement, scorching ray and later fireball. After that it depends on plans. Maybe get what feats you need for a prestige class.

Prestige classes: I'm not good at this so I'll let others help. You could do a forum search for "mailman build" for some ideas.
Ooooh la la. I love it. I'll change my character sheet for this list.