PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How do I build a flavorful Stone Sorcerer?

Azreal
2017-12-31, 01:41 AM
The short of it is I'm working to build a Stone Sorcerer who is at least decent at clubbing people over the head and using his spells.

What I'm looking for mostly are really good thematic spells to use with the overall theme of using Earth for basically everything.

Bonus points the Homebrew race I'm using is +2 Str and +1 Dex, what kind of Stat spread do ya'll suggest so I'm not awful at everything.

UnwiseAlistair
2017-12-31, 03:32 AM
Are you rolling or standard array?

Azreal
2017-12-31, 03:41 AM
Point Buy. Standard 27.

Requilac
2017-12-31, 11:49 AM
Here is what I would recommend for the ability score arrangement. The fact that your AC is dependent on constitution instead of dexterity because of stone’s durability means that you do not have to put so many points into dexterity.

Strength: 12+2=14
Dexterity: 13+1=14
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 14

As for spells, here is what I would recommend. you did not specify level so I am going to only list cantrips and 1st level spells.

Acid splash: acid damage is typically associated with the earth element in D&D for some reason I don’t quite know
Blade ward: you have the endurance of a Stone after all.
Infestation: once again the similiarity is rather remote, but there are a whole lot of insects in soil and underground.
Mold earth: do I really need to explain this one?

Absorb elements: earth is one of the fantasy elements after all.
Catapult: could look very cool if you are throwing rocks with this
Chromatic orb: if you use it to deal acid damage, because once again acid is somehow associated with the earth element in D&D.
Earth tremor.: do I really need to explain this one?

Here would be what my spell load-out would be if I were creating a stone sorcerer.
Cantrips: acid splash, blade ward, infestation, mold earth
1st level spells: absorb elements, earth tremor,

Azreal
2017-12-31, 02:07 PM
Oh man. Sorry we are starting Level 3 for this.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though it’s been super helpful

PartyChef
2017-12-31, 02:23 PM
I would max Cha and Con. Dip Hexblade to be SAD. Use a shield and know the shield spell to be virtually untouchable. Alternate between GFB or BB for melee, EB for range, and thunderclap if surrounded (although it might be better to get out of there at some point).

I am also a huge fan of subtle social spells and twinning buffs. I used to twin dragon's breath until Crawford ruined that one.

Clone
2017-12-31, 03:27 PM
I'm currently playing a Stone Sorcerer in a trio of spellcasters (soon to get a 4th fighter, thankfully) but up until now I've been our primary tank.

My suggestion would be to pump CON as high as possible and take spells which don't use saving throws or spell attacks.
Focus on melee buffing such as Shield, Absorb Elements, Blur (quickening this has been AMAZING), Mirror Image etc and eventually grabbing Haste and other buffing goodies.
Taking Booming Blade and/ or Green Flame Blade is a must to fight in melee in higher levels.

Besides that, flavouring spells to work in different ways is your best bet, especially if you have a theme in your head.
I used Avatar Earthbenders and Taliyah, from League of Legends, as an inspirational base so I flavoured abilities around metal and stone manipulation.

For Shield I'd do a hand motion or stop the group, causing a pillar of stone to jam its way between me and the target (causing it to miss).
Blur and Scorching ray use a similar theme where large chunks of earth or stone start to float around my Sorc. Whenever an attack missed via disadvantage, it was because these stones rammed into the weapon of the attacker. My DM allowed for Scorching Ray to do magical piercing instead of fire, so Scorching Ray is either stone blocks (flavoured to be the ones I use with Blur) or metal javelins launching at the target using my stone skin or whatever else is earthy nearby.

I use a bunch of goofy spells like catapult and alter self, so I haven't flavoured too much, but I plan on tweaking the description of my spells to follow the themes.

Hope this helps!

Requilac
2017-12-31, 05:26 PM
3rd level, huh? Here are some 2nd level spells that would be thematically appropriate then.

Dragon’s breath: You can use this to spit acid, which as I previously stated is a damage type associated with the earth element
Dust devil: this should be pretty obvious.
Earthbind: this is an extremely niche spell, but other than that it is still thematically appropriate
Levitate: cast this one a bouldersand it could look very cool
Maximillian’s earthen grasp: this spell looks visually awesome and is definitely suitable for a stone sorcerer
Shatter: it is almost like a mini earthquake

Were I to play a stone sorcerer this would be my revised list of known spells: absorb elements, catapult, earth tremor, earthen grasp

FabulousFizban
2017-12-31, 06:06 PM
3 words: little witch academia

the sorcerer's stone pulls magic from nearby leylines and generates magical energy. Magic cannot be used unless in proximity to a sorcerer's stone. A single sorcerer's stone could power an entire school, for instance... It has a large area of effect. The farther from the stone, the weaker your magic becomes. Major cities could have one, making magic weaker in the wilderness. Or maybe just making arcane magic weaker, so divine magic - clerics, druids, rangers etc, maintain their power, but the arcane classes are weaker away from civilization.

EDIT: Hahaha I completely misread the post. I am going to use this sorcerer stone in my games now though.

SharkForce
2017-12-31, 06:44 PM
make sure you choose your metamagic to work well with your spell selections, or rather, vice versa (choose your metamagic first, then make sure your spells fit). then reflavour your spells as needed, where possible.

danpit2991
2018-01-01, 12:52 AM
add salt maybe some paprika

definitely take mold earth