PDA

View Full Version : I feel like an idiot - Junk

Dib
2007-08-22, 05:33 PM
I suppose its not common knowledge... but seeing as how it went unsaid I'm not really sure... I get why it's funny in the comic... but I only just found out what a RL Junk is... Am I alone? Or did othe rpeople not know?

ChopSticks28
2007-08-22, 05:41 PM
Considering this joke has been mentioned about a bazilion times in each thread in the forums, yes, I guess you're alone. But it took me a while to realize it too.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-08-22, 05:41 PM
I suppose its not common knowledge... but seeing as how it went unsaid I'm not really sure... I get why it's funny in the comic... but I only just found out what a RL Junk is... Am I alone? Or did othe rpeople not know?

Some other people were confused as well. I wasn't even sure myself. I thought it was only for the female anatomy, not the male. That's why I thought the joke was odd.

Dib
2007-08-22, 05:43 PM
Some other people were confused as well. I wasn't even sure myself. I thought it was only for the female anatomy, not the male. That's why I thought the joke was odd.

Barring anatomy... I was thinking more along the lines of Junk being a kind of japanese boat... which I did not know until recently...

Dihan
2007-08-22, 05:49 PM
A Junk is a Chinese ship, not Japanese. :smallwink:

blackspeeker
2007-08-22, 06:41 PM
WHOA ITS A TYPE OF BOAT TOO! I just thought it was a euphamism.

dogmac
2007-08-22, 06:46 PM
I knew about the boat, but had never heard of the euphamism. I think it is an American thing. You know, the same lot who find nothing funny in rooting for your team.

Gatekreeper
2007-08-22, 06:51 PM
Wait, rooting for your team? What's funny about that? :smalltongue:

Eriol
2007-08-22, 07:07 PM
Wait, rooting for your team? What's funny about that? :smalltongue:
I've heard that in Australia (and maybe NZ too) "root" is a euphamism for "having sex" (kind of like "shag" in Britain, etc).

As for the comic, it was more obvious when it was "the" comic of the day, as then the left navigation menu has the comic name up, but when going through the archives directly from one strip to the next, the names aren't obvious, hence why you could never know.

Advance Strat..
2007-08-22, 07:13 PM
never realized a boat could actually be called junk, i just thought they all kept calling the boat a piece of garbage, along with belkar's stupid little joke about it.

Kish
2007-08-22, 08:21 PM
The title of the comic which introduced the junk was, "It's a Type of Boat."

yoshi927
2007-08-22, 08:47 PM
I always used it interchangeably with "stuff", so now I feel awkward. :smallbiggrin:

Dib
2007-08-23, 04:49 AM
Oh yeah, that was the name of the strip... though I didn't get it at the time either...

cheesecake
2007-08-23, 06:16 AM
the only reason i knew was back when i was in high school a girl told me she wanted to play with my junk, and i didn't figure out what junk was til saturday night!

but i also knew that a junk was a type of ship.

Ecalsneerg
2007-08-23, 12:27 PM
I have never heard the term 'junk' used...

...but it is fairly easy to derive from the context. I mean, wasn't the 'package' joke obvious.

FrostXian
2007-08-23, 01:03 PM
I've heard that in Australia (and maybe NZ too) "root" is a euphamism for "having sex" (kind of like "shag" in Britain, etc).

Wait.. then Shaggy in Scooby Doo is..

...my childhood..

Dib
2007-08-23, 01:11 PM

...my childhood..

I think its cos he's actually shaggy in appearance... your childhood is safe (for now)... Screw is another common one... how the hell did we get on to this subject?

Edit: And I've only ever heard Junk used once in that sense... and it was in a song... a song I don't like... by a group who play a kind of music I don't like... so yeah... I'm going off course again...

Setra
2007-08-23, 01:19 PM

...my childhood..
He's just shaggy in appearance. That still doesn't protect him from his addiction. Scooby Snacks = Drug.

On another note, I knew both the boat, and the slang term. I think they mentioned the boat type during Rush Hour 2...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-23, 01:30 PM
And of course, the phrase, "She's gotta lot of junk in that trunk!" takes on a whole new meaning! :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-08-23, 01:32 PM

As for the comic, it was more obvious when it was "the" comic of the day, as then the left navigation menu has the comic name up, but when going through the archives directly from one strip to the next, the names aren't obvious, hence why you could never know.

see...in America they spell it 'rutting'...it can be applied to sex acts or to just messy behavior. Comes from pigs who 'rutt' around in the mud...'acting dirty'. Never heard 'rooting' as a euphemism for anything other than cheeing...

now, among our circle of friends...'Take one for the team', has been twisted to include some pretty amusing things.

The junk thing...I had heard a long time ago that a 'junk' was a kind of boat. I think they listed Junk in the old D&D books as a boat you could buy between galleon and something else. I didn't remember until I read the strip title 'It's a kind of boat'...I thought what is? Then I read the comic and the bad bad bad double entendres just made me laugh.

ref
2007-08-23, 01:58 PM
@DibTheBountyHunt: Can I safely bet that a box was involved in the song? :smalltongue:

@Dogmac: So, have you ever tripped over a tree? :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Grumlich
2007-08-23, 03:14 PM
Sometimes I really love this forum.

Lissou
2007-08-23, 03:19 PM
Isn't "it's the name of a boat" the title of the first strip with that joke?

Dib
2007-08-23, 04:27 PM
@DibTheBountyHunt: Can I safely bet that a box was involved in the song? :smalltongue:

I have made a point to avoid the song as much as possible so don't know all the lyrics... but I don't think there's a box... :smallconfused:

dogmac
2007-08-23, 04:35 PM
Well given that I am competing for the title of clutziest human on earth, yes, I have. :smalleek:

Elurindel
2007-08-23, 04:57 PM
Actually, you're not alone. I had no idea what they were talking about, until the sheer weight of innuendos began to press down so heavily that I thought that he could only be referring to one thing

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 05:56 PM
Actually, you're not alone. I had no idea what they were talking about, until the sheer weight of innuendos began to press down so heavily that I thought that he could only be referring to one thing

Same here - I had only heard the slang term referenced once before, and used towards a female ("WHATCHA GONNA DO WIT' ALL THAT JUNK, ALL THAT JUNK INSIDE THAT TRUNK?" "I'M GONNA GET GET GET YOU DRUNK... LOVE DRUNK, LOVE DRUNK OFF OF MY HUMP! MY HUMP MY HUMP! MY LOVELY LADY LUMP!" Stupid Black Eyed Peas... stupid Fergie...) And I figured out the boat thing since they were pointing at the boat and the strip title was "It's A Type Of Boat".

Damionte
2007-08-23, 07:07 PM
WHOA ITS A TYPE OF BOAT TOO! I just thought it was a euphamism.

Hahahahahaaaaa.

That was well timed.

for anyone else who didn't know.

READ A BOOK !

StupidFatHobbit
2007-08-23, 08:48 PM
see...in America they spell it 'rutting'...

No. Rooting and rutting are two different words. In British English we use "rutting" the same way you use it. "Rooting" is pronounced differently and has a different (though somewhat connected) meaning.

littlechicory
2007-08-23, 09:41 PM
See, the euphamism for gayness I've heard most is "pitching for the other team".

You learn something new every day. :smallsigh:

Tirian
2007-08-23, 09:45 PM
for anyone else who didn't know.

READ A BOOK !

Or at least go play Kingdom of Loathing. :wink:

ref
2007-08-23, 09:49 PM
Well given that I am competing for the title of clutziest human on earth, yes, I have. :smalleek:

Oh really? And how about a root? :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallcool: