PDA

View Full Version : What's the best name for this sword?

S@tanicoaldo
2017-12-31, 01:15 PM
What's the best name for this sword?

So in my setting there is a sword that is made from the skin of a god and melted and mixed in iron.

Is it better be called:

God-Iron Sword or Iron god sword?

Which name sounds better?

Feddlefew
2017-12-31, 01:21 PM
I'd emphasize that it's made out of God-skin rather than iron, personally.

The Skin-Taker hungers for more skin.

Draconi Redfir
2017-12-31, 01:31 PM
of the two, god-iron sounds better to me.

"Flesh of *Gods name here*" could also be neat.

Xuc Xac
2017-12-31, 01:45 PM

Isn't that always the way? You get so carried away with the skin eating...

RazorChain
2017-12-31, 01:53 PM
Or it could have a proper name? Like Ascalon, Durindal, Caliburn, Hrotti or Gungnir

S@tanicoaldo
2017-12-31, 02:17 PM
I'd emphasize that it's made out of God-skin rather than iron, personally.

In the original draft the skin of the god would be of a god of iron, who was literaly made of a type of divine iron, but since this is a dark fantasy setting I figured that this would sound much more sinister.

I used the term skin but now in retrospect that was mistake, flesh would be much more appropriated.

I can't focus on the flesh or skin aspect because the fact that it was made out of a god is not known, they only now it's made of an alloy of divine origin.

But the "The Skin-Taker hungers for more skin." but is not far off.

So in this setting the empire employ dark wizards to summon and communicate with the gods, the problem is that they are terrible at it and always end up F-ing up the summoning rituals, one deity for example ended up without a corporeal form as had to be sealed up in a statue, unable to move or act.

The god used in the sword he was actually the first god summoned by the Empire, a god of wisdom and honor, but they botched it even harder than the other future summonings.

You see, all they got was his screaming, undying severed head. The wizards then dissected it and studied it (while it was constantly screaming), and once they learned all they could, they smashed it into pieces and used them to forge the sword. The worst part? It's still alive. The sword itself is insane from agony and hate, and still wants to have its full body, so it tries to suck out the souls of any gods it wounds, making it one of the few weapons that can harm divine beings, the tragic part is that the god used to be honorable and wise now is reduced to a depraved, insane and mindless cannibalistic object feeding on the flesh and essence of his own kind in the hopes of ending his own pain.

The sword is also known as Godslayer, but to me that name feels a little cheesy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl8sORIPjAM

RazorChain
2017-12-31, 04:30 PM
Or you could call it God Layer?

Vitruviansquid
2017-12-31, 04:44 PM
The object is what the object is, the name came later.

So who wielded or discovered it? If that person had a flair for the dramatic, the sword might be named something like "Fleshdrinker" or "Godbane." If that person was a simple, hobbitlike type of character, it might be called "Chopper" or something simple in that vein. If that person is an academic who wanted to be accurate about what it was, it may very well be called the "God-Iron sword."

Nifft
2017-12-31, 04:59 PM
So in my setting there is a sword that is made from the skin of a god and melted and mixed in iron.

The Scab.

Godscab.

Godflenser.

Leatherjack (knife).

The Scab That Picks YOU.

JellyPooga
2017-12-31, 05:04 PM
"Ferrum Dei", the Iron God.

"Carnes Ferro", the Flesh of Iron

Latin is great for epic sounding names...

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-31, 06:12 PM
Or it could have a proper name? Like Ascalon, Durindal, Caliburn, Hrotti or Gungnir

I second this. Although giving it a name that is something in a foreign language slightly corrupted is also a good idea, if you're lazy like me and can't think up names good.

Alternatively, I'd go for Godforged, Skyforged, Heavenforged, or something similar. Of course the bloody sword has iron in it, most swords do, what's special is that it has something of divine origin in it.

To combine the two, let's bastardise some French. Epedieu (from épée de dieu). Or maybe German, Gottesschwert works well on it's own an unlike French doesn't require butchering. Both based on a relatively literal translation of 'god sword'. A nice OOC hint for players who work out you're using a foreign language (allowing them to feel smart if you're using it's nature as a plot twist).

S@tanicoaldo
2018-01-01, 01:09 PM
"Ferrum Dei", the Iron God./QUOTE]

Huuunnn... I liked that!

[QUOTE=Vitruviansquid;22710917]The object is what the object is, the name came later.

So who wielded or discovered it? If that person had a flair for the dramatic, the sword might be named something like "Fleshdrinker" or "Godbane." If that person was a simple, hobbitlike type of character, it might be called "Chopper" or something simple in that vein. If that person is an academic who wanted to be accurate about what it was, it may very well be called the "God-Iron sword."

The very dark wizards who summuned him in the first place forged and named the balde.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-01, 02:46 PM
I have a question: How are the players finding out this name? I don't know if Dark Wizards are going to leave behind hints of the sword's origin, just in case. If they wrote down the name onto the sword, I'd make the name quite obfuscating on the basis that the wizards are probably arrogant and won't think that looters would understand the 'riddle'. Through I don't see why they wouldn't just put on a random name to confuse people.

I assume that the party won't have the nicest of interactions with these dark wizards. They rarely do.

PopeLinus1
2018-01-01, 03:02 PM
The Ang-Riv Sword

(Sindarin)

Mastikator
2018-01-01, 03:07 PM
Swordy McSwordyface

ToysInTheAttic
2018-01-01, 04:10 PM
Swordy McSwordyface
Haha.

Iron-Flesh Sword? God-Flesh Sword? Maybe if the god is dead or the sword is all that's left of him, just use the god's name.

God-Cleaved, implying it was cleaved from a God.

God-Price, implying a pound of flesh price kind of thing...

Keltest
2018-01-01, 05:08 PM
The God-Iron Sword, Forged in the Heat of Ten Thousand And One Mountain-Smiths' Fires, Quenched With the Blood of an Unborn Universe.

Or Teddy, to his friends.

Xuc Xac
2018-01-01, 05:17 PM
God-Cleaved, implying it was cleaved from a God

"Cloven" is the word

LordEntrails
2018-01-01, 05:32 PM
If the sword is old, then it could have a dozen different names. Somewhere in history someone is going to wield the sword and either not know it's previous name(s) or not want to use them and give it a new name. In short, different groups are likely to call it different things and many of them won't know that the sword has more than one name or the other names for it.

ToysInTheAttic
2018-01-02, 06:35 PM
"Cloven" is the word
No, it is not. Cloven is uncommon as a past tense of "cleave," and is more commonly used as an adjective.

2D8HP
2018-01-02, 06:44 PM
In the original draft the skin of the god would be of a god of iron, who was literaly made of a type of divine iron, but since this is a dark fantasy setting I figured that this would sound much more sinister.

I used the term skin but now in retrospect that was mistake, flesh would be much more appropriated.

I can't focus on the flesh or skin aspect because the fact that it was made out of a god is not known, they only now it's made of an alloy of divine origin.

But the "The Skin-Taker hungers for more skin." but is not far off.

So in this setting the empire employ dark wizards to summon and communicate with the gods, the problem is that they are terrible at it and always end up F-ing up the summoning rituals, one deity for example ended up without a corporeal form as had to be sealed up in a statue, unable to move or act.

The god used in the sword he was actually the first god summoned by the Empire, a god of wisdom and honor, but they botched it even harder than the other future summonings.

You see, all they got was his screaming, undying severed head. The wizards then dissected it and studied it (while it was constantly screaming), and once they learned all they could, they smashed it into pieces and used them to forge the sword. The worst part? It's still alive. The sword itself is insane from agony and hate, and still wants to have its full body, so it tries to suck out the souls of any gods it wounds, making it one of the few weapons that can harm divine beings, the tragic part is that the god used to be honorable and wise now is reduced to a depraved, insane and mindless cannibalistic object feeding on the flesh and essence of his own kind in the hopes of ending his own pain....
"Mournblade", "Screamsword", "Lifedrinker", or you could go with "Fleshdagger"

Rainbownaga
2018-01-02, 07:16 PM

Aren't most of those descriptive in their native tongue?

Xuc Xac
2018-01-02, 07:18 PM
No, it is not. Cloven is uncommon as a past tense of "cleave," and is more commonly used as an adjective.

It's not the past tense. The past tense is "cleaved", "cleft", or "clove". "Cloven" is the past participle, which is used in the passive construction (e.g. "it was cloven").

You could just use "cleaved" and treat it like a "regular" verb, but regular verbs are the weak verbs of old English and irregular verbs are the strong verbs. When naming something created through deicide, I think it's better to use the stronger and more archaic option (unless it's being named by plain old workaday hobbitses).

RazorChain
2018-01-02, 08:15 PM
Aren't most of those descriptive in their native tongue?

Hrotti means a brute in the sense of brutally violent individual

Gungnir means the swaying one

Nobody can agree on what Durendal means

Ascalon is supposed to be named after the city of Ashkelon

As for Caliburn...yes if we go back to Welsh and call it Caledfwlch which is supposed to mean hard breach/cleft

Squiddish
2018-01-02, 09:35 PM
Decairn, The Ichor-drinker, the Fleshrender, the Steely Cataclysm

(The above is all one name, or alternately, one name and a bunch of aliases/titles)

Anonymouswizard
2018-01-03, 12:19 PM
Geoff. Nobody is sure why, but it insists on being referred to as such.

LibraryOgre
2018-01-03, 12:49 PM
[God's Name's] Nail.

It has a few meanings. Is it the deity's finger (or toe) nail? Is it a nail, in the sense of "Thing you hit with a hammer"?

bc56
2018-01-03, 12:56 PM
I personally like these names:

godeater
Devourer
Souldrinker
Agony
The Blade of Torment

RagingBluMunky
2018-01-03, 01:09 PM
Agony, as its strikes channel a portion of the pain of the trapped being into the victim.

Failure/Defeat, as it was their first failure to summon a god.

Original Sin, depending on how they view their failures.

I think something short is best. Maybe it's just me, but I find shorter weapon names more intimidating.

Hazeeb
2018-01-03, 09:45 PM
If its a play on skin then go with something that plays on the kind of wounds it deals.

The God Flayer
The Skinning blade
The Flesh Taker

Divine Ruin
Pain blade
The insatiable blade
The endless hunger

Nifft
2018-01-04, 02:06 PM
Steve the Sword

Rust, the iron that is blood

Pleather, the Leather that Pierces

icefractal
2018-01-05, 03:20 PM
The very dark wizards who summuned him in the first place forged and named the balde.How do they feel about doing so? Are they like "Hell yeah, we turned a god into a sword! That's real power, not just any mage could do that!"
Or is it more like: "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, this went horribly wrong. We need to hide the evidence! Make it into a sword, pretend it was never anything else, and we don't speak of this again."

Personification
2018-01-05, 03:32 PM
I feel like the name you are looking for is "Nightblood", but only if you want to use the sword to destroy evil. Other options are the Bands of Mourning and Shardblade.

As a separate point, the origin story reminds me a bit of that of the Aesir Mimir, but in reverse. Mimir was beheaded, but then his head was dipped in magical water of wisdom and he became a god of wisdom and an advisor to Odin, while still being a disembodied head.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-01-05, 07:21 PM
"Mournblade", "Screamsword"

Two things.

1-Do you know what copyrigth is? ;P

2- Funny enougth there are actually two swords, one is called Screamsword, the aspect of his mind was divided in two forming two swords, the useless aprt of scremaing and madness was sealed away in the Screamsword the anger and ahte in the other one.

Screamsword is kind of useless since anyone who wields it go mad.

I have a question: How are the players finding out this name? I don't know if Dark Wizards are going to leave behind hints of the sword's origin, just in case. If they wrote down the name onto the sword, I'd make the name quite obfuscating on the basis that the wizards are probably arrogant and won't think that looters would understand the 'riddle'. Through I don't see why they wouldn't just put on a random name to confuse people.

I assume that the party won't have the nicest of interactions with these dark wizards. They rarely do.

The swords is legendary, used by the empire as safe masure againts the wrth of gods and spirits.

How do they feel about doing so? Are they like "Hell yeah, we turned a god into a sword! That's real power, not just any mage could do that!"
Or is it more like: "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, this went horribly wrong. We need to hide the evidence! Make it into a sword, pretend it was never anything else, and we don't speak of this again."

They were like, "Iteresting... The god seems to still hunger for a whole body and seems to feed on divine essence. This could be used as a form of weapon".

And the players know it's divine and can kill gods but they don't know about the dark and morbid origin. The party warrior is thrilled witht he concept of godslayer sword, little does he know.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-06, 07:43 PM
The swords is legendary, used by the empire as safe masure againts the wrth of gods and spirits.

Soooo...What's the legend? You don't seem to make boring settings, so I assume that someone is going to ask or you could even work it in. If you write out the legend, the name could arise from that.

Else, I'd focus on the fact it protects the empire. Do these gods or fey have particular features? You could play off of that, such as if the fey tend to have wings you could call it the Wing-Cutter, because screw those guys, let's rub it in their face.

FabulousFizban
2018-01-07, 01:00 PM
gigagear god iron

or bloodtongue

sabernoir
2018-01-07, 07:14 PM
What's the best name for this sword?

Is it better be called:

God-Iron Sword or Iron god sword?

Which name sounds better?

My advice, NEVER use English when naming something. Almost all current English names are actually just decended from other languages.

I would call this sword Deus In Ferro, a rough change from the Latin for God In (Iron/Steel).

S@tanicoaldo
2018-01-08, 11:51 AM
Soooo...What's the legend? You don't seem to make boring settings, so I assume that someone is going to ask or you could even work it in. If you write out the legend, the name could arise from that.

Else, I'd focus on the fact it protects the empire. Do these gods or fey have particular features? You could play off of that, such as if the fey tend to have wings you could call it the Wing-Cutter, because screw those guys, let's rub it in their face.

The legend is just that "A sword that can kill gods when they return" there is also a part where only the emperor can use it but that part is fake and everyone knows that.

You see people rarely ask where the magical artifacts come from, no one wonder(Most of the time) about who forged excalibur do they?

Each god is unique, but I decided to go with God-Iron Sword anyway, thnaks for the insights guys.

My advice, NEVER use English when naming something. Almost all current English names are actually just decended from other languages.

I would call this sword Deus In Ferro, a rough change from the Latin for God In (Iron/Steel).

Yeah, that wouldn't work for me sicne Deus and ferro are literally the names for God and iron in my native language so it kind of sounds underwhelming. :/

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-08, 02:53 PM
You see people rarely ask where the magical artifacts come from, no one wonder(Most of the time) about who forged excalibur do they?

Depends. Many Norse weapons have particular origins (such as Mjolnir) or the weapon used to nearly mortally wound Lleu Llaw Gyffes had very particular origins. Excalibur at least had the excuse that it was highly likely the Lady of the Lake found or made the darn thing.

FabulousFizban
2018-01-11, 09:17 AM
hammercock x

Red Fel
2018-01-11, 12:58 PM
Punchline - the sword is given to a subliterate barbarian who, when asked about his weapon, shrugs and simply says, "Is sword. Why name?"

Because, to paraphrase Sandor Clegane, who names their sword?