PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attack help

eyeman927
2017-12-31, 09:11 PM
So in a campaign I'm in were gearing up for a big boss fight against oozes and the rouge asked me for help to find a way to sneak attack them even for partial damage just so shes not entirely useless I'm playing a smite monk so I shouldnt have a single issue but I am worried that one of tge primary damage dealers will become the hide in invisibility the whole fight anything you guys know about would be great THANKS!!!!

KillianHawkeye
2017-12-31, 09:34 PM
Which game version are you playing?

eyeman927
2017-12-31, 09:46 PM
Which game version are you playing?

3.5 and outside of penetrating

Necroticplague
2017-12-31, 10:06 PM
So in a campaign I'm in were gearing up for a big boss fight against oozes and the rouge asked me for help to find a way to sneak attack them even for partial damage just so shes not entirely useless I'm playing a smite monk so I shouldnt have a single issue but I am worried that one of tge primary damage dealers will become the hide in invisibility the whole fight anything you guys know about would be great THANKS!!!!

Hiding in invisibility probably won't help you, given how Oozes have Blindsight.

And, unfortunately, there's no way to Sneak Attack Oozes, outside of an ACF it's probably too late for you take.

Aracor
2017-12-31, 11:57 PM
Deathstrike Bracers from the Magic Item Compendium will help.

The Viscount
2018-01-01, 02:36 PM
3.5 and outside of penetrating

By that do you mean that the penetrating strike ACF or the lightbringer penetrating strike ACFs are not allowed? Because those would solved this problem.

Venger
2018-01-01, 02:37 PM
By that do you mean that the penetrating strike ACF or the lightbringer penetrating strike ACFs are not allowed? Because those would solved this problem.

penetrating strike doesn't work on oozes because they can't be flanked.

KillianHawkeye
2018-01-01, 02:46 PM
He probably means that it's too late to take an ACF because the character is already in play.

Doctor Awkward
2018-01-01, 02:48 PM
penetrating strike doesn't work on oozes because they can't be flanked.

Theoretically, they could if one has Darkstalker.

The feat has a line at the end permitting you to flank creatures with all-around vision. While this special quality is normally reserved for beholders and similar creatures, it's probably not a stretch to ask the DM to treat oozes the same way.

Venger
2018-01-01, 03:47 PM
Theoretically, they could if one has Darkstalker.

The feat has a line at the end permitting you to flank creatures with all-around vision. While this special quality is normally reserved for beholders and similar creatures, it's probably not a stretch to ask the DM to treat oozes the same way.

That's not the issue. Oozes are immune to flanking because they have no discernable anatomy. They are in fact blind and do not have all-around vision. it's a reasonable houserule, though.

Doctor Awkward
2018-01-01, 08:28 PM
That's not the issue. Oozes are immune to flanking because they have no discernable anatomy. They are in fact blind and do not have all-around vision. it's a reasonable houserule, though.

Something about that didn't sound right to me so I went to double-check.

It's swarms that are specifically stated to have no front or back and no discernible anatomy (and are thus immune to precision damage and critical hits).

The entry for Oozes in the Monster Manual glossary simply states they are immune to critical hits and flanking, without giving a reason why. It says the same thing for Elementals.

Very strange.

Venger
2018-01-01, 11:19 PM
Something about that didn't sound right to me so I went to double-check.

It's swarms that are specifically stated to have no front or back and no discernible anatomy (and are thus immune to precision damage and critical hits).

The entry for Oozes in the Monster Manual glossary simply states they are immune to critical hits and flanking, without giving a reason why. It says the same thing for Elementals.

Very strange.

in any instance, you cannot use penetrating strike on oozes because they cannot be flanked

KillianHawkeye
2018-01-01, 11:19 PM

Very strange.

Oozes and elementals (even ones that have a more humanoid appearance) also lack a discernible anatomy and have no real front or back. Oozes, in particular, are amorphous.

This detail seems to have been left out of the 3.5 Monster Manual glossary section, but it was written explicitly in the original 3E version for both elementals and oozes. It might be worth noting that the description of an ooze's blindsight ability on page 201 of the 3.5 Monster Manual says that "an ooze's entire body is a primitive sensory organ that can ascertain prey by scent and vibration within 60 feet", which is more than enough to explain their immunity to flanking.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-02, 06:26 AM
Deathstrike Bracers from the Magic Item Compendium will help.

Use this with a way to remove Dex to AC or if you have the right feat then Crit him in order to activate SA.

Oozes are Immune to Flanking so you need another way to activate the SA.

All the other ways I know need flanking.

Darrin
2018-01-02, 08:49 AM
Cast aberrate (BoVD, Sor/Wiz 1) or essence of the dragon (RotD, Sor 2) on the ooze. Aquatic escape (CSco, Dru 1), aspect of the wolf (SC, Dru/Rgr 1), or lesser spider form (DotU Sor/Wiz 1) could also work, although casting a "Range: Personal" spell on another creature can be tricky without a Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC) or Channel Spell shenanigans. Once the creature type is something other than ooze/construct/elemental/plant/undead, you can sneak attack it.