PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other PEACH: Spell Parry Feats

Altrunchen
2017-12-31, 09:43 PM
Introduction:
A friend of mine was talking about how martial classes (i.e. fighter, rogue, monk, etc.) get completely outstripped at higher levels in 3.5e. In fact they were talking about how bad the fighter class is as higher levels all around. To be honest, it made me feel kind of bad for fighters. So I figured that maybe if I make a series of feats that enable fighters to protect themselves against spells to some extent that it might make the class more playable at higher levels. So I made a series of feats for that exact purpose. What do you guys think?

Spell Parry (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spell_Parry_(3.5e_Feat))
You use your magical weapon to nullify an incoming spell.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +10, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon.
Benefit: If you are the target of a spell or spell-like ability while you are not denied your Dexterity bonus to your armor class, then you may make a Spell Parry attempt. When you do so, make an attack roll using the magical weapon you selected for your weapon focus feat. If the attack roll is greater than or equal to the spell's DC then the spell is nullified.

If you are the target of a spell or spell-like ability while you are not denied your Dexterity bonus to your armor class, then you may make a Spell Parry attempt. If the spell targeting you requires an attack roll against you, then you make an opposed attack roll using the magical weapon you selected for your weapon focus feat. Otherwise, compare your attack roll to the spell's DC. If your attack roll is greater than or equal to the required number, then the spell does not affect you. Spell Parry attempts count against the total number of attacks of opportunity your character can make in a turn. (Thanks to Hugh Mann (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?163747-Hugh-Mann) for this revision)
Normal: You are unable to make a Spell Parry attempt.
Special: A fighter may select Spell Parry as one of his fighter bonus feats.
https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/y3/ccj16trqx40d.gif

Improved Spell Parry (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Improved_Spell_Parry_(3.5e_Feat))
Your likelihood of parrying an incoming spell improves.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +15, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon, Spell Parry
Benefit: If you make a Spell Parry attempt and fail then you may re-roll your attack roll to see if you successfully parry and nullify the spell.
Normal: You may not re-roll the attack roll of your Spell Parry attempt upon failure.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Spell Parry as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Greater Spell Parry (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Greater_Spell_Parry_(3.5e_Feat))
You are skilled enough at parrying spells that you can even deflect them back at their caster.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +20, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon, Spell Parry, Improved Spell Parry
Benefit: When you make a successful Spell Parry attempt, you may opt to reflect the spell back at the caster so that they are subject to it instead.
Normal: You may not reflect the spell back at the caster.
Special: A fighter may select Greater Spell Parry as one of his fighter bonus feats.
https://m0.joe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/15160003/ezgif-4278743209.gif

Epic Spell Parry (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Epic_Spell_Parry_(3.5e_Feat))
Your spell parry attempts have a chance of automatically succeeding.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +25, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon, Spell Parry, Improved Spell Parry, Greater Spell Parry
Benefit: When you you make a Spell Parry attempt you have a 25% chance of automatically succeeding regardless of the spell's DC or your attack roll.
Normal: You must make Spell Parry attempts as normal.
Special: A fighter may select Epic Spell Parry as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Hugh Mann
2017-12-31, 10:06 PM
Some spells can target multiple creatures. As currently written spell parry can negate the effects of the spell on everyone targeted. You may want to make is so thatperson that parried the spell is immune to the spell rather than simply negating the spell.

It also can work on spells that don't have saves, like many touch/ranged touch spells. You may want to change it to have the attack DC to match the spell DC Or an opposed attack roll.
-Currently is also might automatically reflect all spells that have no saves. For instance, magic missiles.

You may also want to declare that the feats are fighter bonus feats.

The feats can give infinite parries a round, while can be fairly good for players, but is vastly more useful for Bosses. In general it is more efficient for a boss to AoE the party, while most boss killing spells tend to be single target. Maybe there could be a limit to spells parried, like AoO.

Altrunchen
2017-12-31, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the response. :)

I do have some questions though.

Some spells can target multiple creatures. As currently written spell parry can negate the effects of the spell on everyone targeted. You may want to make is so thatperson that parried the spell is immune to the spell rather than simply negating the spell.

How would you suggest I phrase the wording exactly?

It also can work on spells that don't have saves, like many touch/ranged touch spells. You may want to change it to have the attack DC to match the spell DC Or an opposed attack roll.
-Currently is also might automatically reflect all spells that have no saves. For instance, magic missiles.

If I'm not mistaken, can't every spell have a DC calculated for it even if it the text doesn't grant a saving throw? Are you sure changing this aspect is entirely necessary?

You may also want to declare that the feats are fighter bonus feats.
Already taken care of on the wiki pages.

The feats can give infinite parries a round, while can be fairly good for players, but is vastly more useful for Bosses. In general it is more efficient for a boss to AoE the party, while most boss killing spells tend to be single target. Maybe there could be a limit to spells parried, like AoO.
Or maybe we should have spell parries use up AoOs?

Hugh Mann
2018-01-01, 02:08 AM
How about this
Benefit: If you are the target of a spell or spell-like ability while you are not denied your Dexterity bonus to your armor class, then you may make a Spell Parry attempt. If the spell targeting you requires an attack roll against you, then you make an opposed attack roll using the magical weapon you selected for your weapon focus feat. Otherwise, compare your attack roll to the spell's DC. If your attack roll is greater than or equal to the required number, then the spell does not affect you.

As for the DC thing I realize I wasn't that clear. I meant to ask you if the feat intended to only be used against spells that have saves listed in the spell description.

And as for the AoO thing, yeah, it would probably make sense to have parries use up AoO.

JNAProductions
2018-01-01, 02:26 AM
By the way, BAB doesn't go up to 25. It caps at 20.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-01, 02:31 AM
One more thing. It might be cool to have a parry that lets you protect you allies as well.

Guardian's Spell Parry
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +18, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon, Spell Parry
Benefit: When a creature within range of your magic weapon is targeted by a spell or spell-like ability, you may attempt to parry the spell. This functions as a normal spell parry, except that you take a -4 penalty to your roll and if you succeed the target creature is unaffected by the spell. If the spell targets multiple creatures then you can only protect one of them, this includes yourself.
Normal: You must make Spell Parry only on spells that target you.
Special: A fighter may select Guardian Spell Parry as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I am not confident about this though. I made this because I noticed that as RAW you can Spell Parry with a bow and arrow, and I thought it would be cool to try shooting down spells from a distance while also making it useful for melee fighters.

Morphic tide
2018-01-01, 02:37 AM
By the way, BAB doesn't go up to 25. It caps at 20.

Importantly, the +1 per 2 levels Epic BAB actually qualifies for feats. It just doesn't give extra iteratives.

JNAProductions
2018-01-01, 02:39 AM
Importantly, the +1 per 2 levels Epic BAB actually qualifies for feats. It just doesn't give extra iteratives.

Ah, it does? Oki.

I was not clear on that.

Altrunchen
2018-06-12, 03:18 PM
How about this
Benefit: If you are the target of a spell or spell-like ability while you are not denied your Dexterity bonus to your armor class, then you may make a Spell Parry attempt. If the spell targeting you requires an attack roll against you, then you make an opposed attack roll using the magical weapon you selected for your weapon focus feat. Otherwise, compare your attack roll to the spell's DC. If your attack roll is greater than or equal to the required number, then the spell does not affect you.

As for the DC thing I realize I wasn't that clear. I meant to ask you if the feat intended to only be used against spells that have saves listed in the spell description.

And as for the AoO thing, yeah, it would probably make sense to have parries use up AoO.

Sounds good to me, go ahead and make the edits to the wiki so that you can have credit for your contribution. :3

I'll meanwhile edit the OP and give you credit for your stuff.

As far as DC goes, I think it might re-legitimize fighters a bit more if we let it work against spells that don't grant saves. Letting the fighter parry the Power Word: Kill spell aimed at a gravely injured ally could make for a pretty awesome moment.

One more thing. It might be cool to have a parry that lets you protect you allies as well.

Guardian's Spell Parry
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +18, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon, Spell Parry
Benefit: When a creature within range of your magic weapon is targeted by a spell or spell-like ability, you may attempt to parry the spell. This functions as a normal spell parry, except that you take a -4 penalty to your roll and if you succeed the target creature is unaffected by the spell. If the spell targets multiple creatures then you can only protect one of them, this includes yourself.
Normal: You must make Spell Parry only on spells that target you.
Special: A fighter may select Guardian Spell Parry as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I am not confident about this though. I made this because I noticed that as RAW you can Spell Parry with a bow and arrow, and I thought it would be cool to try shooting down spells from a distance while also making it useful for melee fighters.

Using a bow? That sounds awesome. If you want then go ahead and add that to the wiki, I think it's a great idea. Though I think that since it requires a BAB of +18 that you might as well make Improved Spell Parry a prerequisite too. What do you think?

EDIT: I thought about it some more and I think the overall -4 penalty could be improved upon on too. Perhaps it's a penalty or even a bonus based on the size category of the creature you're defending? Because while this feat does allow you to be a spell-tank, if you're an ECL 18 character then something less punishing might be in order as well. Maybe instead of a penalty protecting an ally with it provokes an AOO? Because you're focusing on another target than one that might be near you?

Another option would be to make it a lower-level feat that has a penalty that scales based on the number of targets you're trying to defend. That way you could try to protect the whole party from the spell, but it's way harder.

Maybe something like:

Feat:
Min BAB:
Max Number of Allies to Defend:
Attack Roll Penalty per Ally Defended:

Guardian's Spell Parry
+14

1 per 8 levels

Improved Guardian's Spell Parry
+16

1 per 6 levels

Greater Guardian's Spell Parry
+18

1 per 4 levels

Epic Guardian's Spell Parry
+20

1 per 2 levels

Where each previous feat requires the others. That way you REALLY have to commit if you want all these benefits. But the option to commit that much is still there. What do you think?

JoshuaZ
2018-06-13, 10:08 AM
I really like this idea and it seems to fit well with a serious mechanical failing in 3.5/PF which is that one expects warriors to be able to do something like this in a lot of narratives.

A few more suggested feats if you don't mind:

Absorb Arcana
When you deflect a spell you can temporarily absorb some of its magic into your weapon.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +12, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, Spell Parry, wielding a magic weapon.
Benefit: Whenever you successfully Spell Parry with a magic melee weapon if the spell was at least first level and the caster level of the spell was at least two-thirds the caster level of your weapon then for the next 1 minute the effective enhancement bonus of your weapon is increased by 1. Multiple uses of this feat do not stack.

Spell Parry Amplification [Epic]
When you reflect a spell back at its caster you can channel a small amount of extra magic into it.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +20, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Focus, wielding a magic weapon, Spell Parry, Improved Spell Parry, Greater Spell Parry.
Benefit: When you choose to reflect a Spell Back using your Spell Parry and you performed the Spell Parry with a weapon you have Epic Weapon Focus, you may choose to amplify the spell. If so, the effective caster level of the spell when it is returned to the caster is treated as 2 higher 2 for purposes of damage dealt and penetrating spell resistance. The save DC is also increased by 2.

Spell Parry Mastery
You are particularly skilled at parrying spells.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +10, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization wielding a magic weapon.
Benefit: When you use a Spell Parry with a weapon you have Weapon Specialization in, you get a +3 bonus to the relevant attack roll.

Parry not with the Blade but with the Mind [Psionic]
You can use your own mental prowess to guide and strengthen your weapon when used to parry a spell.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +10, Combat Expertise, Int 13, Weapon Focus, Psionic Weapon, wielding a magic weapon.
Benefit: When you attempt a Spell Parry and you have psionic focus, you get a +2 bonus to the attack roll. You may choose as part of the Spell Parry attempt to expend your psionic focus in which case this bonus increases to +4.

Saintheart
2018-06-13, 10:54 AM
You could create a companion weapon quality for these feats, too, particularly since you have to have a magic weapon to attempt a Spell Parry. Call it the Spellbreaker quality, worth a +1 or so, adds a +2 to your opposed attack roll for the purposes of a Spell Parry attempt and nothing else.

Wonder if you could do something with Iaijutsu Focus out of OA on this...

https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-pdb/909209/4f63660b-7b97-4d7d-8a0a-19fbea02b0af/orig