PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers' League online

quark12000
2018-01-01, 12:24 AM
Does anyone know how to join this? I've Googled it, but either I'm missing something or there is nowhere to play. I have no experience with online roleplay, but I'd like to play some 5E and there's really nowhere near where I live to play it. Thanks.

Strangways
2018-01-01, 12:42 AM
Does anyone know how to join this? I've Googled it, but either I'm missing something or there is nowhere to play. I have no experience with online roleplay, but I'd like to play some 5E and there's really nowhere near where I live to play it. Thanks.

Adventurers League is basically just a set of rules overlaid on top of the D&D 5th edition rules, designed to make characters portable, so you can play the same character in different games with different DMs. So the rules cover such things as logging the XP you earn during a game and that sort of thing. If you don’t care about that, you’re free to play D&D without regard to the AL rules, and many people do. There are many online D&D games on Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds which are not AL games.

If you’re basically just interested in playing D&D online because there’s nowhere to play face to face near where you live, then I’d just check the listings at Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. There’s also a subreddit for people looking for online D&D games, though I don’t recall the name of it.

If you actually want AL-compliant D&D games, check out this link:

http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play

If you plan on attending a D&D gaming convention someday (and you should, because they’re 3 or 4 days of solid, morning till night, face to face D&D gaming and a lot of fun) then you’ll want a D&D compliant character (or multiple characters) ready for when you go.

quark12000
2018-01-01, 01:02 AM
Adventurers League is basically just a set of rules overlaid on top of the D&D 5th edition rules, designed to make characters portable, so you can play the same character in different games with different DMs. So the rules cover such things as logging the XP you earn during a game and that sort of thing. If you don’t care about that, you’re free to play D&D without regard to the AL rules, and many people do. There are many online D&D games on Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds which are not AL games.

If you’re basically just interested in playing D&D online because there’s nowhere to play face to face near where you live, then I’d just check the listings at Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. There’s also a subreddit for people looking for online D&D games, though I don’t recall the name of it.

If you actually want AL-compliant D&D games, check out this link:

http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play

If you plan on attending a D&D gaming convention someday (and you should, because they’re 3 or 4 days of solid, morning till night, face to face D&D gaming and a lot of fun) then you’ll want a D&D compliant character (or multiple characters) ready for when you go.

I'd love to go to a D&D convention, but either they don't come around here or I never hear about them.

I thought all online D&D was Adventurers' League; I'll check out the online sites you mentioned. Is one better than the other (i.e., easier for a non-computer expert like myself to use)?

quark12000
2018-01-01, 01:37 AM
Hold on. It looks like they both require voice chat? Are there any sites where you can just type in what you want to do?

sithlordnergal
2018-01-01, 03:46 AM
https://www.alonlinetools.net

This site allows you to find, join, and DM AL games and Epic Events. It also allows you to have an online record of your log sheets for your characters, and will automatically calculate Gold, Exp, Downtime, Renown, Magic items, and Adventures played for each character. You can also easily put things down like spending downtime to level up or acquire items.

Oerlaf
2018-01-01, 04:37 AM
In fact, an AL game only requires the characters and DMs following AL-legal rules. Even play-by-post games are considered AL-legal, if all the sides follow the rules from AL players' and dungeon masters' guide

quark12000
2018-01-01, 10:23 AM
https://www.alonlinetools.net

This site allows you to find, join, and DM AL games and Epic Events. It also allows you to have an online record of your log sheets for your characters, and will automatically calculate Gold, Exp, Downtime, Renown, Magic items, and Adventures played for each character. You can also easily put things down like spending downtime to level up or acquire items.

Cool, that's just what I was looking for. How about this question?

Hold on. It looks like they both require voice chat? Are there any sites where you can just type in what you want to do?

LtPowers
2018-01-01, 10:45 AM

Myth Weavers currently has an Adventurer's League community with several games running. https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39160

Powers &8^]

NecessaryWeevil
2018-01-01, 12:35 PM
I've played text-only (no voice) games on Roll20.

sithlordnergal
2018-01-01, 03:28 PM
I have also done text only games on roll20. Though they do tend to be a bit slower then games with speech.

quark12000
2018-01-01, 07:46 PM
I've played text-only (no voice) games on Roll20.

Every one I've seen so far is either "Video and Voice" or "Voice only".

And the Fantasy Ground one, apparently you pay a monthly fee to play. No, thank you.