PDA

View Full Version : question about dropping an item in combat.

Davrix
2018-01-01, 04:40 AM
So I know I've read somewhere on here that in the PH there is something that stats it takes one action to doft a shield. But i also know it stats that drawing a sword is part of the attack action and so doesn't use up your action by doing so.

So my question is basically if I am wielding a Glaive and decide to drop it does pulling my sword and shield out count as part of the draw of a weapon in the attack action? Cause this kind of begs the question. If your default is sword and board and combat starts are you pulling them out as part of the attack action then or are we cheating and should only be pulling the sword out and having to spend an action dofting the shield :)

P.S.

Little drunk and not caring if I spelled this all right :P And I get weird idea's when im drinking about DnD Is that odd?

JackPhoenix
2018-01-01, 05:19 AM
Drawing a (single, without Duel Wielder) weapon is part of an attack action, but it still takes your one "free" object interaction for a turn. You can draw a sword, then you either have to spend an action (or bonus action, for thief rogue) or wait until your next turn to take your shield from wherever you store it, then it would take an action to ready your shield. If your fighting style involves weapon and shield, you should keep your shield ready in a potentially dangerous area before the combat starts.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-01, 06:02 AM
an action to ready your shield

This is the crux of the issue. Donning a shield is always an action, as per page 146 of the PHB. I'd allow dropping a glaive as a free action and drawing a sword as an object interaction in the same turn, but equipping the shield is going to cost an action whether you're doing those things or not.

Lombra
2018-01-01, 07:24 AM
You will use your action to don your shield and can draw the sword. Dropping something does not count as an item interaction AFAIK.

Dalebert
2018-01-01, 11:00 AM
You're right, Lombra. Dropping something (including concentration on a spell) is free. You just stop holding it.

opaopajr
2018-01-01, 12:32 PM
You drop because it's free and costs you nothing, don shield as an action as per don/doff armor rules, and one free interaction with environment draw your sword. It's remarkable quick and easy to determine in 5e. :smallsmile: Going back is also not hard: you drop sword as it's free, doff shield as an action (unsecuring it basically, which allows dropping your shield for free afterwards if you want,) and the interact with the environment to pick back up your glaive.

A robust chassis! Robust! :smallcool:

Davrix
2018-01-01, 03:49 PM
Oh i get the part about dropping the sword and being able to draw another as part of the free item interaction and it would take an action to doft the shield but here is where my brain falls on its face.

Party is around the campfire and lets just say everyone is armed.

*monsters Jump out*

Now setting aside the fact of surprise or anything of the sort.

Anyone who doesn't have a sword and shield can instantly and freely draw their weapons for the fight on the first round no problem, even the guy with the big honking sword or longbow :)

So by the rules is the sword and board tank the only one who gets screwed by this? His weapon and shield are slung behind his back or however you want to term it. Does he have to spend a whole action just to get his shield ready while the rest of the party gets to fight? That seems really counter intuitive for the Tank character to be fiddling with his shield going Hang on guys you tank while I put this on!

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-01, 04:22 PM
So by the rules is the sword and board tank the only one who gets screwed by this? His weapon and shield are slung behind his back or however you want to term it. Does he have to spend a whole action just to get his shield ready while the rest of the party gets to fight? That seems really counter intuitive for the Tank character to be fiddling with his shield going Hang on guys you tank while I put this on!

That's how it is. Seems realistic, that it would take a bit longer to get a shield out of storage than it would to draw a sword. I'd fully expect people to have their shield equipped permanently while marching/dungeoneering (unless they're holding a torch or something). And like, it's wrong to think of shield proficiency as an automatic, always-on +2 to your AC. You aren't entitled to have that +2 all the time and there will be times you have to fight without it.

Maybe in these situations you should make use of the longsword's versatile property?

Davrix
2018-01-01, 06:13 PM
That's how it is. Seems realistic, that it would take a bit longer to get a shield out of storage than it would to draw a sword. I'd fully expect people to have their shield equipped permanently while marching/dungeoneering (unless they're holding a torch or something). And like, it's wrong to think of shield proficiency as an automatic, always-on +2 to your AC. You aren't entitled to have that +2 all the time and there will be times you have to fight without it.

Maybe in these situations you should make use of the longsword's versatile property?

Oh i get that and I'm not really arguing the fact. But it is an amusing thought of a party walking down the road and everyone gets to ready their weapons but the sword and board fighter in the first round if bandits jump out.

It also begs the question I wonder how many tables just dont think of it this way. Most groups I know of would just assume your default weapon set is always going to be out and ready. I've never really come across one that asks that sort of question.

Mellack
2018-01-01, 09:18 PM
If you are walking down the road in hostile areas, why wouldn't you have your shield on? Sure it is heavy and somewhat uncomfortable, but so is that plate armor. Now I would expect you to take off the shield when camping, but not for marching. Your views may differ, and if so that should factor into your choice of character.

Laserlight
2018-01-01, 09:37 PM
Oh i get that and I'm not really arguing the fact. But it is an amusing thought of a party walking down the road and everyone gets to ready their weapons but the sword and board fighter in the first round if bandits jump out.

It also begs the question I wonder how many tables just dont think of it this way. Most groups I know of would just assume your default weapon set is always going to be out and ready. I've never really come across one that asks that sort of question.

I just ran a fight where the party was climbing a cliff, and got ambushed on a ledge halfway up. The s&b fighter didn't get to use his shield.

Of course, the archer and polearm fighter didn't get to do anything until they could find a place to perch without clinging to the rope.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-02, 06:08 AM
I just ran a fight where the party was climbing a cliff, and got ambushed on a ledge halfway up. The s&b fighter didn't get to use his shield.

Of course, the archer and polearm fighter didn't get to do anything until they could find a place to perch without clinging to the rope.

This is why you should always prepare feather fall!