PDA

View Full Version : Unique characters

Rama_Lei
2007-08-22, 07:21 PM
Who for you are "unique characters" in comics. We've all gone through the feeling that the only difference between the telepaths is how scantily clad they are, and who smashes harder for the bruisers. who are the truly unique ones.

For me, many of the characters in Runaways are fairly unique. Specifically Nico. Her powers, are cool, her personality is cool her wardrobe is cool, etc. Old Lace and Chase are pretty cool too.

Hulking is another great character, who's interesting and fun to read.

Hoorex
2007-08-22, 09:01 PM
Spider-man

Tallis
2007-08-22, 10:44 PM
Humbug. He uses recordings of insects as weapons.

Jerthanis
2007-08-23, 01:48 AM
As soon as I saw the premise of the thread I said to myself, "Oh man, I'll totally mention the Runaways, specifically Nico's Staff of One.", then I read the rest of the post and I said to myself, "Well, I can still mention Spider-Man!"

obviously I've got to be inhumanly fast on the draw.

I'd say the Thing is actually really unique, since he's got a hideous visage which causes him pain every time he thinks of the monster he's become, and he really passionately wishes he were normal, to live a normal life... but he knows he has a responsibility to his team, and to the world. His strength and durability has saved the world dozens of times, and his brushes with normalcy have been maddeningly brief. Even the shining star of the happy part of his life, Alicia, turned sour for him. It takes a unique type of strength to be Ben Grimm, and thankfully for all of us, Aunt Petunia's favorite ever-lovin' blue eyed Thing has that kind of strength in spades. And certainly not the type of strength that can be measured by the tonnage of his lifting capacity...

EvilJames
2007-08-23, 04:30 AM
Malphast from PS238 sure he's a parody of spawn but he's a much better character than spawn has ever been his powers are not totally unique but he is totally lacking in over dramatic rage and angsty whining, and that has to count for something.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-23, 07:12 AM
In the old days, Dr.Strange. Going with magic was brave.

I think Cyclops is pretty unique actually, with Havok too. I mean laser beams coming out varying bodily appendages is an interesting, if not slightly worrying idea.

It goes without saying, Howard the Duck.

GoC
2007-08-23, 09:57 AM
Rogue's powers where pretty unique.

Finn Solomon
2007-08-23, 10:56 AM
Jesse Custer is pretty darn unique, there are few Texan John-Wayne-esque heroes left nowadays.

comicshorse
2007-08-23, 11:02 AM
John Constantine was when first written, less so now as he's been the basis for other characters.
The Grendel spirit, from all of the Grendel series by Matt Wagner

kpenguin
2007-08-23, 11:17 AM
In the old days, Dr.Strange. Going with magic was brave.

If we're looking back at the old days, Superman. I mean, he was the first superhero. How original can you get?

Tirian
2007-08-23, 12:14 PM
I am a real fan of the Kesel run of Hawk and Dove, and I love that he created in Dawn Granger a Dove whose prime superpower was that she was as logical as super-strong characters are strong.

Elliot Kane
2007-08-23, 12:44 PM
Illyana 'Magik' Rasputin.

And I'll second the Kesel's Hawk & Dove, too. They were great :)

Dalenthas
2007-08-23, 01:15 PM
Iron Man. I mean, how many other super-heros are ex-arms manufacturer alcoholic womanizers who only fight for what's right because it's right?
Plus, power armor == win.

Of course, there have been a couple copy-cats since he first showed up over 40 years ago, but every good hero's had a few of those.

GimliFett
2007-08-23, 01:40 PM
Anyone from Strikeforce: Morituri! I loved that book! Oh and the characters from DP7 were all good, too.

Specifically, I've always had a thing for Husk, from Generation X. And, of course, Nightcrawler, the swashbuckling, acrobatic, teleporting elf. Loved him back in the day!

For the lesser known, Spider-Ham, the spider bitten by a radioactive pig! :smallbiggrin:

Stam
2007-08-23, 01:48 PM
I sorta like Jolt, in both her original form (which was mostly original) and in her current one (Living Lightning copy, so unoriginal?).

Charcoal, the burning man.

Rocket, from Icon & Rocket. I think kinetic energy absorption wasn't new back then, but someone doing so by use of an item might have been...and as a hero concept (grouchy, mouthy sidekick) she wasn't half-bad.

GimliFett
2007-08-23, 01:51 PM
Oooh! Speaking of Rocket... Anyone else remember fondly the Rocket Raccoon comics? Good stories and art for anthropomorphic animal comics.

Joran
2007-08-23, 02:48 PM
For me, many of the characters in Runaways are fairly unique. Specifically Nico. Her powers, are cool, her personality is cool her wardrobe is cool, etc.

I like how she's one of the very few Asian superheros that doesn't know kung-fu or some other martial arts.

Griemont
2007-08-23, 04:19 PM
Iron Man. I mean, how many other super-heros are ex-arms manufacturer alcoholic womanizers who only fight for what's right because it's right?
Plus, power armor == win.

Of course, there have been a couple copy-cats since he first showed up over 40 years ago, but every good hero's had a few of those.

\o/ Winner. :smallcool:

I was actually also going to mention Iron Man for the fact that he works with the government instead of against it.

...And people despise him for it. :smallannoyed:

GimliFett
2007-08-23, 04:22 PM

I was actually also going to mention Iron Man for the fact that he works with the government instead of against it.

The only time I ever really liked Iron Man was when he formed Force Works. That was a good team and an awesome book!

EvilJames
2007-08-24, 01:33 AM
also The TICK. Nigh invulnerability for the win.
(Night of a Million Zillion Ninjas was a truly awesome trade and I recommend it to every one ever)

Kaelaroth
2007-08-24, 03:52 AM
Cloak and Dagger.
Moonstone.

Before she became superbly annoying: Scarlet Witch.

T.Titan
2007-08-24, 05:35 AM
If we're looking back at the old days, Superman. I mean, he was the first superhero. How original can you get?

Not very:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_%28novel%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Danner

He withstands all attempts at getting him to tell how he opened the vault, escapes, and lifts a car into the air. It is this scene which is depicted on the cover of Action Comics #1 as being accomplished by Superman.

Whoracle
2007-08-24, 07:25 AM
Spider Jerusalem from Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

- Small
- Bald
- Tattoed
- No superpowers whatsoever
- Brain desease
- Acid-tongued a**hole
- Nevertheless fighting for what's right, maybe even for what's good, depending on your POV.

psycojester
2007-08-24, 07:34 AM

So you think that people should get in line and support him being a fascist asshat purely because he's working for the government?

BRC
2007-08-24, 09:53 AM
Spider Jerusalem from Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

- Small
- Bald
- Tattoed
- No superpowers whatsoever
- Brain desease
- Acid-tongued a**hole
- Nevertheless fighting for what's right, maybe even for what's good, depending on your POV.
I wouldnt call Spider a super hero, but he is awsome.
Come to think of it, I'm going to make a spider jerusalem avatar.

Jack_Banzai
2007-08-24, 12:21 PM
Nexus.

Badger.

Judah "The Hammer of God" Maccabee.

Starman (Jack Knight).

and of course

MIRACLEMAN.

Attilargh
2007-08-24, 12:28 PM
Dream and Death and the other Endless. They're pretty unique.

EvilJames
2007-08-24, 01:39 PM
Nexus.

Badger.

the Badger is awesome!!

SalientGreen
2007-08-24, 02:01 PM
I liked Ghost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_%28Dark_Horse_comics%29) back when....

Klerik
2007-08-24, 08:06 PM
Squirrel Girl comes to mind :smallbiggrin:

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-26, 07:15 AM
Hellboy & the rest of the BPRD are pretty unique. Especially Roger & Johann Kraus.

Nightwing
2007-08-26, 08:47 AM
Malphast from PS238 sure he's a parody of spawn but he's a much better character than spawn has ever been his powers are not totally unique but he is totally lacking in over dramatic rage and angsty whining, and that has to count for something.

Witch one is he?

EvilJames
2007-08-26, 12:49 PM
Witch one is he?

I'm not sure If I understand what you are asking
he's the kid that was born from the union of a being of chaos and a being of order that the teachers had to go and personally meet so he could go to school at Ps238 a few issues back. In the last issue he and the conspiricy theory kid (whose name I can remember off hand) were trying to locate tyler who had been teleported to another dimension

Drider
2007-08-26, 02:22 PM
1.Thor
2.Uatu
3. silver surfer/galactus

T.Titan
2007-08-26, 05:41 PM
1.Thor

Considering the number of gods running around in most comic universes and the fact that he's just taken from an existing mythology.

Dihan
2007-08-26, 06:25 PM
Doorman, the Defenestrator, Bueno Excelente... In fact, all of the members of the Great Lakes Champions/Avengers/X-Men/whatever they settled on, and Section 8.

sealemon
2007-08-27, 02:49 PM
Superman, for being the first. (I know the concept was based on various inspirations; using that argument though, nothing is actually new.)

Spider-man, For introducing a new concept in superhero comics: The secret identity can be every bit as important as the spandex-wearing identity, if not more so.

Iron Man, for introducing the concept of a scientist hero who's smart enough to build himself some freakin' sweet armor to fight crime, not just a few gadgets.

Jesse Custer.

ravenkith
2007-08-27, 04:54 PM
Superman, for being the first. (I know the concept was based on various inspirations; using that argument though, nothing is actually new.)

Spider-man, For introducing a new concept in superhero comics: The secret identity can be every bit as important as the spandex-wearing identity, if not more so.

Iron Man, for introducing the concept of a scientist hero who's smart enough to build himself some freakin' sweet armor to fight crime, not just a few gadgets.

Jesse Custer.

I love it.

There's just no need for anyone to explain Jesse Custer appearing on ghte list. :smallbiggrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-28, 09:02 PM
it all comes down to writing. Almost any character, written well, is entertaining and fun to read. When written badly, even Deadpool can suck.

Foeofthelance
2007-08-28, 10:19 PM
I'm going to suggest Witchblade and Darkness, simply because when it comes to arcane powers, origins, and problems, nothing suits better then an NYPD cop and a NJ gangster who've managed to inherit the child of the Light and Dark, and the powers of the Dark itself, respecitvely.

ravenkith
2007-08-29, 09:00 AM
I'm going to suggest Witchblade and Darkness, simply because when it comes to arcane powers, origins, and problems, nothing suits better then an NYPD cop and a NJ gangster who've managed to inherit the child of the Light and Dark, and the powers of the Dark itself, respecitvely.

Actually.......

The darkness is basically evil incarnate.

His opposite number is not actually Witchblade, but rather The Angelus.

The two represent the forces of light and darkness, complete chaos and total order, and have battled each other, in one form or another, down throughout history.

During the course of their constant struggle, they have manufactured 13 different weapons to be used by mortals on their behalf. The witchblade gauntlet is actually just one of these weapons.

However, IIRC, it is the only weapon that was worked on by both the darkness and the angelus, making it one of the more powerful ones.

Sidenote: In addition, in the same 'universe' of comics exists the Magdelena, which is an order of supposedly Jesus-descended females with the ability to make men face the evil they've done, which, if they have any conscience at all, can be utterly debilitating. I suspect that the 'original magdalena' was not jesus-descended, but rather, just another creation of the angelus....

Man that universe was cool.

Threeshades
2007-08-29, 10:57 AM
I'd like to mention Lobo, as I do in every thread in this forum ^^

If only for being the only character in the Marvel and DC universe who isnt wearing a skin tight latex suit in funny colors (i know he hasnt always been like that) Okay a few characters have their latex suits in black and white or even gothier but its still latex suits.

And Fillerbunny.

Logic
2007-08-29, 07:32 PM

If only for being the only character in the Marvel and DC universe who isnt wearing a skin tight latex suit in funny colors (i know he hasnt always been like that) Okay a few characters have their latex suits in black and white or even gothier but its still latex suits.

And Fillerbunny.

Latex? Seriously, you need to read more. Latex is rubber-esqe (hence why condoms are called "rubbers) while nearly every character you mention wears SPANDEX. I know latex wearing superheroes exist, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Foeofthelance
2007-08-29, 09:06 PM
The darkness is basically evil incarnate.

His opposite number is not actually Witchblade, but rather The Angelus.

The two represent the forces of light and darkness, complete chaos and total order, and have battled each other, in one form or another, down throughout history.

During the course of their constant struggle, they have manufactured 13 different weapons to be used by mortals on their behalf. The witchblade gauntlet is actually just one of these weapons.

Yup, the Darkness is evil, which is probably why it's wielded by a gangster whose great-great ancestor made a deal with the Devil.

The Witchblade, on the otherhand, has been stated as being a mix of both the light and the dark, and was intended as some sort of balance between. The Witchblade itself is supposedly male, representing the Dark and its desire to destroy, which is why it requires a female host, so choose how to use it to destroy to protect creation.

Sidenote: In addition, in the same 'universe' of comics exists the Magdelena, which is an order of supposedly Jesus-descended females with the ability to make men face the evil they've done, which, if they have any conscience at all, can be utterly debilitating. I suspect that the 'original magdalena' was not jesus-descended, but rather, just another creation of the angelus....

Actually, considering the ties Magdelena has with the Church, as well as the Angelus's attitude as presented in the Firstborn books, I'm fairly sure the Magdelena's origin story is probably true. The Angelus has proven just as destructive as the Darkness, as well as being more willing to work with a corrupted soul. Jackie, for all his faults, at least tries to keep the Darkness in check unless its a matter of 'business', whereas the Angelus has killed at least one person looking for a host, before settling on Constantine, who recently tried to beat Sara to death in the bottom of One Police Plaza with a chain whip.

Attilargh
2007-08-30, 05:55 AM
If only for being the only character in the Marvel and DC universe who isnt wearing a skin tight latex suit in funny colors
Oh really (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor)? :smallwink: Also, the Swamp Thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Thing).

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-30, 06:02 AM

And Fillerbunny.

um...Lobo was a Wolverine rip-off, I believe. And plenty of DC heroes don't wear spandex. The original GL, for one. Hawkman.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-30, 07:17 AM
Oh really (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor)? :smallwink: Also, the Swamp Thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Thing).

I cannot believe I didn't mention Swamp Thing. Funny thing is, I just got done re-reading Alan Moore's run on old Fungus Face. Also, if manga are allowed then I'd like to include Dark Schneider from Bastard!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastard%21%21)& Himura Kenshin the hitokiri battosai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himura_Kenshin) from, obviously, Rouroni Kenshin.

Threeshades
2007-08-30, 08:03 AM

tuxedos and nothing dont count.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-30, 09:50 AM
I cannot believe I didn't mention Swamp Thing. Funny thing is, I just got done re-reading Alan Moore's run on old Fungus Face. Also, if manga are allowed then I'd like to include Dark Schneider from Bastard!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastard%21%21)& Himura Kenshin the hitokiri battosai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himura_Kenshin) from, obviously, Rouroni Kenshin.

Since Swamp Thing has his Marvel double Man Thing and Kenshin is a katana using assassin, I wouldn't call them unique.

Hawriel
2007-08-30, 10:36 AM
you cant bash a character for not being unique because some one later rips of the idea.

That being said yes superman, batman, flash, spiderman, Captain America, Sub-mariner, are all unique characters. they, and others, have become archetypes for most comic characters created sence.

I really dont think Iron man is Unique at all. normal guy no powers but rich as hell. tragidy happens. he uses mony to make gadgets to fight crime. sounds like batman to me. Ironman just has armor instead of a batmobile.

so characters that I think may be unique. Mostly because I dont know any thing like them befor they where created.

ghostrider. swampthing. not many coming to mind right now.

I do have to ask what you consider unique. to its. origional personality, origional power/ability set. origional consept. origen/motivation. It also could be a new perspective on somthing old that sets them apart from what came befor.

Stam
2007-08-30, 11:08 AM
The original Bucky, as displayed in the 12-edition redo of Captain America that was put out some time ago. The one that delved into lots of history for him...the one that had one of his ancestors in the Civil War?

Sidekick as an entrepreneur (sp?) who discovered the main character's secret, and is not in the business solely for the goodness of it, was totally cool.

Ing
2007-08-30, 12:51 PM
Dues ex Machina is a fairly original take on the genre.

Spider-man fairy tales is good too

Question was fairly unique (and damn awesome)

Grod_The_Giant
2007-08-30, 02:09 PM
Dues ex Machina is a fairly original take on the genre.

most of Morrison's stuff is unique and different...Doom Patrol, for example. His run on JLA was full of epic, exciting, high-threat enemies for a team of the most powerful heroes in the DCU without resorting to angst and character flaws, just good plot...

sealemon
2007-08-30, 02:53 PM
um...Lobo was a Wolverine rip-off, I believe. And plenty of DC heroes don't wear spandex. The original GL, for one. Hawkman.

Wolverine parody, actually. 90's Xtreme comic book writing parody as well. Very funy character, but not that unique, no.

I really don't think Iron man is Unique at all. normal guy no powers but rich as hell. tragidy happens. he uses money to make gadgets to fight crime. sounds like batman to me. Ironman just has armor instead of a batmobile.

The armored suit, as opposed to just a gun or a few gadgets as had been done by every street level super in the past from the Green Hornet to Sandman to The Batman. The fact that Stark uses high tech armor, instead of plot armor, is unique. Not to mention he's one of the few supers I can think of who is constantly evolving. How many suits has he gone through so far? 8? 10? I've lost count. How many other supers can you think of who have changed their looks and power sets even half as many times (And I'm talking about changes that stick, as opposed to four armed Spidy or Electro Supes).

Now that I think of it, Booster Gold is fairly unique; Unlike Luke Cage, Booster really IS in it for the money. Like him or loathe him, that was a pretty unique concept for a superhero.

Logic
2007-08-30, 03:58 PM
How many suits has he gone through so far? 8? 10? Though the appearance hasn't changed from each version to the next, at the prelude to CIVIL WAR, he is on his 29th version of his Armor. I am pretty sure he has changed it twice since then, because of events during CIVIL WAR.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-30, 05:38 PM
Since Swamp Thing has his Marvel double Man Thing and Kenshin is a katana using assassin, I wouldn't call them unique.

Kenshin's pretty unique. Calling him a katana-wielding assassin is like saying Deadpool is a guy with two swords. It's way too generic.To be more specific: He's a disillusioned revolutionary warrior who realised that after all the death he had caused in the name of change, the new world he envisioned did not exist. The most efficient killer in the world then decides, rather than take up a place of authority promised to him by the government he helped rise to power, to disappear and defend a small dojo in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention he refuses to kill, and uses a reverse-blade sword (aka a sakabato). Not to mention the fact he was made to look purposely feminine. Let's not forget as well that through all the carnage and death he has caused, all the darkness he has seen in the hearts of others, as well as his own, he refuses to believe people are irredeemably evil. He's not your standard manga samurai who decides to run around doling out lethal justice to every single criminal he finds. Compared to most "katana wielding assassins" I'd say he's pretty unique. Hell, compared to most contemporary comic book heroes he's unique.

As for Swamp Thing/Man Thing? Meh, Swamp Thing, as a character, is unique. Just because he has a Marvel Clone doesn't mean he can't be unique. Looking like someone else does not mean he is the exact same character (if that were true, all those spandex addicted muscle-heads would be even moreso boring). Swamp Thing is a very unique character. Check out Moore's run on Swamp Thing if you need proof. He took what was ultimately considered a "goofy" or "hokey" horror monster and turned him into one of the most interesting comic book characters I've ever seen. I won't go into any detail here because, well, i'd have to put in more spoilers, and i don't want to because, well, i'm too lazy.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-30, 06:31 PM
Kenshin's pretty unique. Calling him a katana-wielding assassin is like saying Deadpool is a guy with two swords. It's way too generic.To be more specific: He's a disillusioned revolutionary warrior who realised that after all the death he had caused in the name of change, the new world he envisioned did not exist. The most efficient killer in the world then decides, rather than take up a place of authority promised to him by the government he helped rise to power, to disappear and defend a small dojo in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention he refuses to kill, and uses a reverse-blade sword (aka a sakabato). Not to mention the fact he was made to look purposely feminine. Let's not forget as well that through all the carnage and death he has caused, all the darkness he has seen in the hearts of others, as well as his own, he refuses to believe people are irredeemably evil. He's not your standard manga samurai who decides to run around doling out lethal justice to every single criminal he finds. Compared to most "katana wielding assassins" I'd say he's pretty unique. Hell, compared to most contemporary comic book heroes he's unique.

He's an archetype that represents an entire generation of Samurai. At the end of that era there were thousands just like him.

In that he has more of a historic basis than Japanese Culture cash-ins like Marvel's Silver Samurai, he's unique in that he's taken more seriously than some characters. But there are plenty of characters with badass skills and emotional issues.

As for Swamp Thing/Man Thing? Meh, Swamp Thing, as a character, is unique. Just because he has a Marvel Clone doesn't mean he can't be unique. Looking like someone else does not mean he is the exact same character (if that were true, all those spandex addicted muscle-heads would be even moreso boring). Swamp Thing is a very unique character. Check out Moore's run on Swamp Thing if you need proof. He took what was ultimately considered a "goofy" or "hokey" horror monster and turned him into one of the most interesting comic book characters I've ever seen. I won't go into any detail here because, well, i'd have to put in more spoilers, and i don't want to because, well, i'm too lazy.

As a plant monster he's not unique. If you're talking about how he's handled, that's a differant but interesting criteria than the one I was using.

Now that I think of it, Booster Gold is fairly unique; Unlike Luke Cage, Booster really IS in it for the money. Like him or loathe him, that was a pretty unique concept for a superhero.

Isn't he also in it for t3h w0m3n?

Gundato
2007-08-31, 06:28 AM
The fact that Stark uses high tech armor, instead of plot armor, is unique.

Uhm, his high-tech armor IS plot armor. Any situation he comes across, he almost always ends up making his suit work. Albeit, that is a problem with almost every single tech-based hero.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-31, 07:47 AM
*snip*
As a plant monster he's not unique. If you're talking about how he's handled, that's a differant but interesting criteria than the one I was using.
*snip*

As a plant monster? No, not in the slightest. He was beaten by about 30 or so years by The Heap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heap_%28comics%29). Though, for consolation in uniqueness: he later discovers that he is a Plant Elemental, which is relatively unique compared to just being another mutant or chemical accident freak.

Tamburlaine
2007-08-31, 08:35 AM
I second Abe Sapien and the whole of the BPRD, they kick seven shades of ass.:smallcool:

T.Titan
2007-08-31, 10:20 AM
Meh, Swamp Thing, as a character, is unique. Just because he has a Marvel Clone doesn't mean he can't be unique.

Actually they both came out the same year (man thing a month earlier), and i remember reading that the guys that invented them lived together when they invented the 2, so they tried to make them as different as 2 monsters made out of muck can be. /here it is: http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2005/06/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-3.html

Blue Paladin
2007-08-31, 12:09 PM
He's an archetype that represents an entire generation of Samurai. At the end of that era there were thousands just like him.Um. Being the exact opposite of the rest of his generation is an archetype? I suppose, if you consider Drizzt the archetypical drow...

The lampshade is hung right there in the subtitle, Meiji Kenkaku Romantan. The story of the Meiji swordsman. It evokes a "huh?" reaction, as the reader thinks, "wait, there were no swordsmen allowed in the Meiji era." Of course, most Western readers would be unaware of that fact, so I can see why people think, "oh, he's just another samurai."

He breaks the law (like all people still bearing a katana), yet was responsible for putting the government into power (and is respected as such, accordingly). He is a master of one of the deadliest sword arts in the land, but wields a backwards blade. He speaks to the highest government officials the same casual way he speaks to average people on the street.

Name any samurai who regularly defeats his opponents and leaves them alive. EDIT: Through choice (as opposed to incompetence, or writer fiat).

But there are plenty of characters with badass skills and emotional issues.Badass skills and emotional issues. So... you're saying Kenshin = Batman = James Bond = let's say Deadpool. Therefore, none of them is unique.

Yeah, wha?

Somebloke
2007-08-31, 01:11 PM
What I always found refreshing about Kenshin- as opposed to many of the clones (Trigun springs to mind) that have recently emerged was his attitude. A killer who respected life, a haunted man who none the less was ready to play the fool to make a child smile and did nice things- an emotionally complex character with much less angst than practically all of his fellows.

Tiben
2007-09-01, 12:00 AM
Unique. I think that Megatron From the Show Beast Wars was unique. because in that show he embraced the "evil bad guy" thing so much that he made it an art form

EvilJames
2007-09-02, 02:32 AM
Unique. I think that Megatron From the Show Beast Wars was unique. because in that show he embraced the "evil bad guy" thing so much that he made it an art form
He was also the master of darwinism he purposly surrounded himself with people he couldn't trust because he believed it made him stronger and he was always on top of his game because of it.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-02, 05:54 AM
Actually they both came out the same year (man thing a month earlier), and i remember reading that the guys that invented them lived together when they invented the 2, so they tried to make them as different as 2 monsters made out of muck can be. /here it is: http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2005/06/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-3.html

I knew that. I just didn't mention it because it doesn't change the fact that they both have their analogue.

So... stupid arguement time...

Um. Being the exact opposite of the rest of his generation is an archetype? I suppose, if you consider Drizzt the archetypical drow...

He's not the exact opposite of his generation at all. He's a disinfranchised swordsman with no purpose in the Meiji Era. He's a prime example of his generation.

He breaks the law (like all people still bearing a katana),

A lot of places have anti-vigilante laws you know and most superheroes break them.

yet was responsible for putting the government into power (and is respected as such, accordingly). He is a master of one of the deadliest sword arts in the land, but wields a backwards blade. He speaks to the highest government officials the same casual way he speaks to average people on the street.

I hate to say it, but those are getting close to Mary Sue traits. Not that it's iimpossible to do them well.

Name any samurai who regularly defeats his opponents and leaves them alive. EDIT: Through choice (as opposed to incompetence, or writer fiat).

That's a hero thing. There are loads of heroes who get away with not killing anyone despite using deadly martial arts and weapons.

Psychotic
2007-09-03, 11:26 AM
Deadpool. He knows he's a comic book character for crying out loud! If you've ever played Marvel Ultimate Alliance, you know how cool he is.

Blue Paladin
2007-09-04, 12:03 PM
He's not the exact opposite of his generation at all. He's a disinfranchised swordsman with no purpose in the Meiji Era. He's a prime example of his generation.You miss the point. Other disenfranchised swordsmen wanted to hold on to what they had in the past (see the Raijuta arc for examples). Kenshin lost everything he had for the future. Also, having no place is not quite the same has having no purpose; Kenshin finds a purpose, despite still having no place in Meiji times.

A lot of places have anti-vigilante laws you know and most superheroes break them.Most superheroes bring in their targets to "the authorities", making them little more than glorified citizen's arrests. Relatively few cross the line into actual vigilantism.

I hate to say it, but those are getting close to Mary Sue traits. Not that it's impossible to do them well.Why hate to say it? Kenshin explicitly embodies everything the author wishes were true of his own personality. Hitenmitsurugi-ryu is born out of years of Watsuki's own off-and-on sword training, video games (specifically Samurai Shodown), and his own imagination (souryuusen was created because he thought it "looked cool"). How much more Mary Sue do you want it?

That's a hero thing. There are loads of heroes who get away with not killing anyone despite using deadly martial arts and weapons.Samurai put down a person in as few strokes as possible; the vast majority of swordstrokes are killing strokes. The reverse-blade sword is Kenshin's writer fiat. I'm still looking for any other example of an honest-to-goodness, sword swinging samurai who leaves defeats their opponents, leaving them alive and generally healthy (no lost limbs etc) the way Kenshin does.

Also, could I get an explicit response on my previous analogue? Kenshin is as unique among Meiji swordsmen as Drizzt is unique among drow. Discuss.

2007-09-04, 12:11 PM
Deadpool.

Maybe not too special in the powers department, but knowing you're in a comic book, and being able to attack the writers of said comic book, is pretty cool.

Plus he's funny.

Tiki Snakes
2007-09-04, 02:41 PM
Deadpool.

Maybe not too special in the powers department, but knowing you're in a comic book, and being able to attack the writers of said comic book, is pretty cool.

Plus he's funny.

I'm going to agree and disagree. Deadpool is not unique because he knows he is in a comic book (I understand She-Hulk does the same?). He is Unique, though.

As you'll know if you've seen his pretty face. ;)
Nice take on the whole regeneration thing. Especially some of the tactics he gets up to. breaking his both his own arms and legs to escape a trap, for example.

Stam
2007-09-04, 05:17 PM
As you'll know if you've seen his pretty face. ;)
Nice take on the whole regeneration thing. Especially some of the tactics he gets up to. breaking his both his own arms and legs to escape a trap, for example.

I've seen that before, though. Dunno who did it first, though - Wolverine or Deadpool - but Wolvie's ignored damage quite often to escape from traps. Breaking bones wasn't common when they were adamantine-laced, of course, but during his stretch as a bone-claw guy he did that.

(I think they should have left him like that, actually. How did he even get the adamantine back in?)

Forrestfire
2007-09-04, 05:32 PM
Rorschach, from the watchmen

Lord of the Helms
2007-09-04, 06:02 PM
(I think they should have left him like that, actually. How did he even get the adamantine back in?)

Apocalypse did it.

LadyFae
2007-09-04, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has brought them up yet, but I direct you towards any member of The Freshmen. A silly super-hero group, it's true, but between ...odd ... super powers and interesting premises, these guys have to be on the list of the unique super heroes.

Stam
2007-09-04, 09:54 PM
Apocalypse did it.

Hrr. Must have missed that, but I suppose I can guess it'd be similar to Archangel's little run-in with the same chap.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-05, 07:45 AM
Rorschach, from the watchmen

Despite being a stand-in for the question.

Not that this mean's Rorschach isn't original, it's just fun how these things work out.

DeathQuaker
2007-09-05, 09:50 AM
Since someone mentioned Kenshin, I'm assuming bringing in Japanese comics is okay.

So how about Yomiko Readman, AKA Agent Paper? Woman who loves reading so much, she fuels paper with her passion and enables it to do anything she can imagine -- block bullets, slice through steel, make a giant functional paper airplane.... or an origami butterfly that flutters of its own accord through the air?

Okay, eventually the creator of said character eventually introduced the similarly powered Paper Sisters (but they have their own quirks, and quite a different background from Yomiko).... but still a pretty unusual idea.

Lord of the Helms
2007-09-05, 04:41 PM
Hrr. Must have missed that, but I suppose I can guess it'd be similar to Archangel's little run-in with the same chap.

Basically, Wolverine was captured by Apocalypse's Skrull allies while the X-Men were on a mission to space and replaced by a Skrull, shortly after he had recovered from his period of increased beastlikeness. Apocalypse pitted Wolverine in a fight against Sabretooth (recently adamantiumned-up, probably by Weapon X) to determine which of them should be the new death. Wolverine beat Sabretooth, Apocalypse gave Sabretooth's adamantium to Wolverine and brainwashed him into his servitude. Wolverine, ironically, killed his Skrull doppelganger in battle against the X-Men, had a run-in with the Hulk and later was beaten back to his senses by various X-Men (Nightcrawler, Angel, Shadowcat, Cerebroed-Psylocke and others). Thus he was back, plus adamantium.

...Does it HAVE to make sense? :smalltongue:

Stam
2007-09-05, 05:59 PM
Oh, right. *the right neurons rub together* I remember that one. The Skrull-Wolverine actually got so into the role that he jumped in front of the bullet like the real one would have.

No, it doesn't have to make sense, but I liked him better with limitations!

EvilJames
2007-09-07, 02:35 AM
The funny part about Deadpool is that he is Marvel's answer to DC's Lobo, who in turn is a parody of Marvel's Wolverine.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-07, 03:36 PM
The funny part about Deadpool is that he is Marvel's answer to DC's Lobo, who in turn is a parody of Marvel's Wolverine.

Deadpool is also very similar to DC's Deathstroke the Terminator.

There is no originality.

Thimble
2007-09-07, 10:54 PM
May I add Peter St John (http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/m/mandala.htm) to the mix? I've never seen a Super Hippy turned into a Super Politician before (conservative, yet). He works as a character, too - one of Grant Morrison's finest, I'd say.

T.Titan
2007-09-09, 02:55 PM
Deadpool is also very similar to DC's Deathstroke the Terminator.

There is no originality.

Can you say "parody"? Guess who Deadpool was based on?

Oh, and i remember seeing somewhere a DC comic where Deathstroke meets a paralel universe version of himself that was a good-ish guy with a healing factor and a screwed up sense of humor. Apparently he was raised by the other parent then main Deathstroke. It was pretty funny.