PDA

View Full Version : Opposed rolls for grabbing items

Captain Cap
2018-01-01, 12:16 PM
In the Player's Handbook is said that you can use a disarm attempt to grab or snatch an item worn by the target. It's specified that the attacker gets a bonus if the item is poorly secured, so I assume the attempt still requires an opposed attack roll, but... which weapon the defender has to use?
The rules are much more ambiguous if we consider the fact that you still need to win an opposed roll even after you have immobilized your opponent in a grapple: an immobilized character shouldn't be able to attack at all.

Venger
2018-01-01, 02:34 PM
In the Player's Handbook is said that you can use a disarm attempt to grab or snatch an item worn by the target. It's specified that the attacker gets a bonus if the item is poorly secured, so I assume the attempt still requires an opposed attack roll, but... which weapon the defender has to use?
The rules are much more ambiguous if we consider the fact that you still need to win an opposed roll even after you have immobilized your opponent in a grapple: an immobilized character shouldn't be able to attack at all.

he uses whatever weapon he's using

the rules aren't ambiguous (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#disarm) in the least. you're not immobilized in a grapple

Captain Cap
2018-01-01, 03:57 PM
With immobilized i meant pinned: in that case the attacker can attempt to grab an item, but if the defender is pinned, how can he make an attack roll?

he uses whatever weapon he's using

But the weapon used should be the target of the attempt (step 2), in this case the target is not a weapon.

Venger
2018-01-01, 04:00 PM
With immobilized i meant pinned: in that case the attacker can attempt to grab an item, but if the defender is pinned, how can he make an attack roll?

But the weapon used should be the target of the attempt (step 2), in this case the target is not a weapon.

He can make an attack roll because the rules say he can (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)

Fizban
2018-01-01, 09:39 PM
Defending yourself from a disarm against a non-weapon is just wiggling away, and unless you're actually paralyzed or unconscious or otherwise helpless, you can still wiggle. Pinning doesn't make you helpless, just very close to it- you're still allowed grapple checks. And as the grappling modified attack rolls show, high BAB makes you better at wiggling.

Incidentally, I'd rule that "loosley secured" must include anything that's been stored "within easy reach" so it can be drawn easily. Which makes yanking the sword out of their scabbard before they've drawn it much easier.

Captain Cap
2018-01-02, 03:46 AM
Ok, but what about this

Is my interpretation right? If yes, wouldn't be too easy to snatch items from an opponent? if not, which limitations I have while pinned, must it be considered an attack in a grapple? And if I wield two weapons, can I choose the weapon to use, even if the target is one of them?