PDA

View Full Version : Best uses for a Bag of Devouring? Or ideas I should not try lol

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-01, 12:47 PM
My elf bard has a brand new Bag of Devouring and I'm looking for the best uses of it, or bad ideas to not even try, or even funny ideas.

I've been waiting for an O/P bad guy to pop up then try to save the day by sliding this over their head. I'm sure there is some more fun to be had with it though as a torture device or something.....

Here is the description:

This bag superficially resembles a Bag of Holding (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Bag%20of%20Holding#h-Bag%20of%20Holding) but is a feeding orifice for a gigantic extradimensional creature. Turning the bag inside out closes the orifice.

The extradimensional creature attached to the bag can sense whatever is placed inside the bag. Animal or vegetable matter placed wholly in the bag is devoured and lost forever. When part of a living creature is placed in the bag, as happens when someone reaches inside it, there is a 50 percent chance that the creature is pulled inside the bag. A creature inside the bag can use its action to try to escape with a successful DC 15 Strength (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ability%20Scores#h-Strength) check. Another creature can use its action to reach into the bag to pull a creature out, doing so with a successful DC 20 Strength (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ability%20Scores#h-Strength) check (provided it isn't pulled inside the bag first). Any creature that starts its turn inside the bag is devoured, its body destroyed.

Inanimate Objects (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Objects#h-Objects) can be stored in the bag, which can hold a cubic foot of such material. However, once each day, the bag swallows any Objects (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Objects#h-Objects) inside it and spits them out into another plane of existence. The DM determines the time and plane.

If the bag is pierced or torn, it is destroyed, and anything contained within it is transported to a random location on the Astral Plane.

Atalas
2018-01-01, 01:41 PM
actually had a conversation about this with a guy at the local game shop. Learn Mage Hand, have it carry the bag the furthest distance you can in front of you during a dungeon crawl. It then has a chance to eat any creature encounters, at the cost of potential loot.

Uses that may be a very bad idea: portable latrine, garbage disposal, halfling/gnome carrybag

Kuulvheysoon
2018-01-01, 01:51 PM
It's an excellent place to put your overly gaudy accessories if you've got a kender in the party?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-01, 01:52 PM
Portable latrine!

This will totally fit with my character trying to convince the rest they party will be more difficult to track if they place their waste in the bag.

I might even start texting the Ranger about it now.

Rebonack
2018-01-01, 02:34 PM
Have someone in your party Restrain or Paralyze a baddie and then stuff them into the bag.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-01, 07:18 PM
Have someone in your party Restrain or Paralyze a baddie and then stuff them into the bag.

Yes again.

I can see this as an in combat thing, a sleeping enemy can't possibly roll a save.

Also if an enemy is awake and restrained the threat of having their head or even a hand put in the bag would be terrorfying

bc56
2018-01-01, 09:18 PM
If you are a caster with Mage Hand, it is a thief-proof storage container. You can retrieve your valuables using Mage Hand, but a thief is probably going to be pulled into the bag, and they won't be likely to make the Strength check to escape.

Mellack
2018-01-01, 09:22 PM
It would be highly thief-resistant (nothing is thief-proof), but a real pain to try to keep anything in. Once each day any objects in it get spit into another plane. Depending on your DM ruling, that may not be at the same time each day. So you are probably taking as great or greater chance of losing your stuff as having it stolen.

Armok
2018-01-01, 11:48 PM
I made the mistake of giving a bag of devouring limited sentience. Now the party regularly uses it to dispose of the bodies of their enemies to "keep it happy with us".

They used to be such good, pure souls...

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-02, 12:38 AM
I made the mistake of giving a bag of devouring limited sentience. Now the party regularly uses it to dispose of the bodies of their enemies to "keep it happy with us".

Nice, nice. Dexter would approve of that use! IRL if I had one maybe I could save on the trash bill. Eventually I'd get my hand stuck in it though.

On that line, any of your DM's ever make it difficult or dangerous to use it? Meaning you almost get shoved in?

Waterdeep Merch
2018-01-02, 12:41 AM
My players killed my reoccurring big baddie once this way. After duping them multiple times, leading them directly into a hell rift, surrounding the party and cutting off their escape, and (attempting) to dispose of an important NPC just to piss them off (essentially taking the monk and cleric out of the fight in order to save them), the party fighter got a good grapple off while the bard used mage hand to put the bag on his head. A villainous monologue got cut hilariously short, the players felt clever, everyone high five-d everyone else, they still talk about that kill to this day.

All according to plan.

Kane0
2018-01-02, 01:05 AM
Do you have access to Suggestion? Hell, even a simple charm or deception will do it.
"Hey, want to participate in the lucky dip?"
"Feeling lucky? Toss a coin in the bag and you get whatever you can grab from inside"

Mith
2018-01-02, 02:57 AM

For some reason Pikmin comes to mind.

JellyPooga
2018-01-02, 04:48 AM
Here's some odd things about the Bag;

- As an action, you can try to escape, but you're devoured at the start of your turn. Better not reach in after you've already taken an action on your turn...

- The bag is an orifice for a creature. Supposition; this creature has several orifices (i.e. Bags), otherwise, destroying the bag or not "feeding" it would kill the creature by starvation. When an item in the bag is spit out to another plane, presumably it's spit out of another Bag (unless it also has non-Bag orifices). Does that mean that every now and then, the owner of a Bag should get a random "prize", spit out from someone elses Bag on another plane?

the_brazenburn
2018-01-02, 11:50 AM
I've always wondered what would happen if you somehow "freed" the extradimensional creature in the bag. How would you do this, and what would be the end result?

This, by the way, falls squarely into the "very bad idea" category.

JellyPooga
2018-01-02, 11:59 AM
I've always wondered what would happen if you somehow "freed" the extradimensional creature in the bag. How would you do this, and what would be the end result?

This, by the way, falls squarely into the "very bad idea" category.

The creature isn't trapped in the bag...the bag is one of its feeding orifices, like some kind of a weird inter-planar, portable maw. The creature itself, I get the impression, is some infathomable extradimensional horror of Lovecraftian proportions and conceit; beyond all imagination...ok, now I want to make a GOOlock that worships the Bag of Devouring creature.

ErHo
2018-01-02, 12:47 PM
If you have a Kobold or Goblin problem, put googly eyes on it, and place it in their camp overnight. By the morning they will have discovered it, begun to worship it and feed half their number to it as sacrifice to appease it.

Problem solved

Burnteyes
2018-01-02, 01:14 PM

I applaud both you and your party.

Burnteyes
2018-01-02, 01:21 PM
If you have a Kobold or Goblin problem, put googly eyes on it, and place it in their camp overnight. By the morning they will have discovered it, begun to worship it and feed half their number to it as sacrifice to appease it.

Problem solved

Zombie plague cure?... Mage hand holds it open while minor illusion creates a "Help me, help me" cry. The zombies head into the nom.

ErHo
2018-01-02, 04:23 PM
Zombie plague cure?... Mage hand holds it open while minor illusion creates a "Help me, help me" cry. The zombies head into the nom.

+100 XP for ingenuity!

danpit2991
2018-01-02, 04:32 PM
use it to line a pit trap that way you dont have to get rid of the bodies

Burnteyes
2018-01-02, 04:36 PM
+100 XP for ingenuity!

1 inspiration point

Strike the Sun
2018-04-24, 01:41 AM

I also had an idea to bestow sentience upon such a bag... An idea... That requires both Charisma... And... Either bravery... Or stupidity.

You need to get the bag to like you, as your party sought out to, or else this won't work. That is where the Charisma comes into play...

But as for the interchangeable other requirement? Stay with me here... Using the Bag of Devouring... As a Portal.

Additional steps and precautions may be required.

KorvinStarmast
2018-04-26, 07:38 AM
The creature isn't trapped in the bag...the bag is one of its feeding orifices, like some kind of a weird inter-planar, portable maw. The creature itself, I get the impression, is some infathomable extradimensional horror of Lovecraftian proportions and conceit; beyond all imagination...ok, now I want to make a GOOlock that worships the Bag of Devouring creature. Yes. This. :smallcool:

Amdy_vill
2018-04-26, 08:20 AM
use it to get rid of items: evidence of a crime, magic items you don't need/can't give away(probably because of curses or power)... ect

you could also string up people and threaten to put the in it.

Joe the Rat
2018-04-26, 08:30 AM
Disposal seems the best use here, though the various combat and intimidation options are clever.

You might need a little minor illusion for threatening someone, unless your bag actually makes the "Nom nom nom" noises while waiting.

I wholly endorse the GOOlock Patron idea. Haagenti the Devourer sounds like a good name to attach to it.
(now you just have to sell your DM on letting you use the bag as a holy symbol arcane focus).

Angelalex242
2018-04-27, 01:37 AM
Bags of Devouring could even be used as the official execution tool of the kingdom. Why use something sloppy like a +3 vorpal battleaxe when you can just shove criminals in the bag of devouring?

Scorpio4420
2019-05-16, 01:09 PM
Place bag on table, add sign saying don't reach into bag. Let curiousity take over.

jaappleton
2019-05-16, 01:12 PM
i made the mistake of giving a bag of devouring limited sentience. Now the party regularly uses it to dispose of the bodies of their enemies to "keep it happy with us".

feed me, seymour, feed me!

Lord Vukodlak
2019-05-16, 01:30 PM
Necro-poster!

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-05-16, 02:00 PM
Necro-poster!

Thats ok. It was an old post of mine and I appreciate any new ideas. My PC still has the darned thing.

I've been thinking about using getting enemies who regenerate or are reborn into it and seeing what the interaction is.

LibraryOgre
2019-05-17, 12:30 PM
The Mod Wonder: #1 use of Bag of Devouring: Getting rid of undead threads.