PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if..

Sapreaver
2018-01-01, 01:40 PM
So i'm just curious what would happen to the base creature if you flesh to stoned them.
Permanently animated the statue of them and then awakened said statue.

And then stone to flesh the statue.
What would happen to the original and new err creature?
Also what happens if you shrink item the statue and then stone to flesh it?

Venger
2018-01-01, 02:10 PM
So i'm just curious what would happen to the base creature if you flesh to stoned them.
Permanently animated the statue of them and then awakened said statue.

And then stone to flesh the statue.
What would happen to the original and new err creature?

1) flesh to stone is instantaneous, so can't be dispelled, only undone by stone to flesh. you are mentally inert.
2) permanencied animated objects is vulnerable to dispel
3) awaken construct is instantaneous and not vulnerable to dispel. this gives you a new, second consciousness unrelated to your original one
4) an animated object made of stone is not a valid target for stone to flesh

if you were destroyed, then your inert corpse (assuming you weren't decapitated or whatever, let's say you were killed by non-localized generic hit point damage) would be a valid target for stone to flesh. this would in turn turn you into your own corpse, at which point you would be a legal target for you choice of rez spell, and after that, you would be reanimated with your own personality. prior to this, the force from animate construct would be a discrete consciousness which would be terminated upon your death.

EDIT: same, but you're just smol.

Sapreaver
2018-01-01, 02:53 PM
From the srd

The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.) You can affect an object that fits within a cylinder from 1 foot to 3 feet in diameter and up to 10 feet long or a cylinder of up to those dimensions in a larger mass of stone.

So the animated statue should be a valid target for stone to flesh
But that wouldn't stop the animate object would it? Or would it just turn off until the body is an object again either through flesh to stone or dying?

KoDT69
2018-01-01, 03:09 PM
It's a pretty fun concept tho I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a fleshy meat-puppet that vaguely looks like your character did. It could be an excellent plot device. Something seems off about the Prince/Dutchess/Aristocrat etc... Then the job becomes to figure it out so they can be fixed.

Venger
2018-01-01, 03:38 PM
From the srd

The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.) You can affect an object that fits within a cylinder from 1 foot to 3 feet in diameter and up to 10 feet long or a cylinder of up to those dimensions in a larger mass of stone.

So the animated statue should be a valid target for stone to flesh
But that wouldn't stop the animate object would it? Or would it just turn off until the body is an object again either through flesh to stone or dying?

I am aware of the spell text.

The animated statue is not a valid target. as the spell says, you may only target a petrified creature or an inert mass of stone. an animated object is a creature (who is not petrified) nor is he an inert mass of stone. So it doesn't matter what would happen to the animate objects.

unseenmage
2018-01-01, 04:16 PM
You could complicate things even farther by incorporating Greater Humanoid Essence to make the Construct into a Humanoid then hitting it with spells that polymorph or otherwise transmute Humanoids.

For example, say I use your above process on a flesh corpse instead and while it is flesh and sentient and a Construct I GHE it. Now it is a flesh sentient humanoid that arguably gains the living properties of the Humanoid type. IF your GM says Construct conciousnesses are souls and I cast Clone while the corpse is in this state then which conciousness inhabits the Clone body?

Minor Servitor from Savage Species is technically 3.0 and technically replaced by Awaken Construct but I like using it instead when I want an Awakened Animated Object.

Sapreaver
2018-01-01, 08:20 PM

The animated statue is not a valid target. as the spell says, you may only target a petrified creature or an inert mass of stone. an animated object is a creature (who is not petrified) nor is he an inert mass of stone. So it doesn't matter what would happen to the animate objects.

But it also gives the specific example of a stone golem which isn't an inert piece of stone. It even calls out an ordinary statue becoming a corpse. So i feel this one is one of those weird border cases.

Crake
2018-01-01, 09:07 PM

The animated object is a creature indeed, but it is also a petrified creature. That's like saying a stone golem isn't stone. It is both a creature, and stone, or in this case, a creature, and a petrified creature.

SirNibbles
2018-01-01, 09:58 PM

Read it again. Nowhere does the spell stipulate the target must be inert. It simply says the resulting flesh is inert unless there is a life force or magical energy.

"The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.) You can affect an object that fits within a cylinder from 1 foot to 3 feet in diameter and up to 10 feet long or a cylinder of up to those dimensions in a larger mass of stone." - Player's Handbook, page 285