PDA

View Full Version : Un/Hallow that Stacks?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-01, 02:59 PM
According to the hallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) spell, "An area can receive only one hallow spell (and its associated spell effect) at a time. Hallow counters but does not dispel unhallow."

Are there any stackable spells (other than unhallow) that grant hallow's effects of adding an attached spell effect to the affected area? I specifically want to use multiple Permanent Emanation feats to render Targeted, Area, and various Duration spells into permanent Duration AoE spells, and I want to have them all affect the same area at the same time, with the option of turning them off, and on again. For debugging purposes, if nothing else.

[edit] It's 2.5 years later, but I found a way to (partially) circumvent this issue. Find or plant an oak tree somewhere, preferably on a plane that is timeless with regards to magic. Cast a Sculpted (un)hallow spell so that it affects some of the tree's canopy; a cone aimed down from above would work. Tie the acorn of far travel (https://web.archive.org/web/20160816163754/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) spell to it. Now all the acorns in the AoE are affected by the spell, so you can give acorns out to whomever you like. (You can only have one AoFT spell in effect at once; this doesn't preclude you from affecting multiple acorns with the same spell.) Now use Sculpt Spell to make a bunch of line-shaped (un)hallow spells pointing straight up. Now each of these (un)hallow spells has a different spell attached to it, such as haste, polymorph, magic circle against evil, death ward, etc. Now you count as being under the tree's canopy while you hold the acorn, and all these spells are in effect under the tree.

Venger
2018-01-01, 03:56 PM
nope. hallow has this clause specifically so you can't do this.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-01, 04:50 PM
nope. hallow has this clause specifically so you can't do this.You might want to reread my question. Unless you're saying that hallow somehow prevents other, unrelated spells from stacking with each other or themselves?

Venger
2018-01-01, 05:17 PM
You might want to reread my question. Unless you're saying that hallow somehow prevents other, unrelated spells from stacking with each other or themselves?

What is it you're looking for? Guards and wards? A spell trap?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-01, 07:00 PM
What is it you're looking for? Guards and wards? A spell trap?As an example, say I have Permanent Emanation (Selective, Widened Hallow) with delay death attached. Normally, delay death isn't an AoE, but if you add it to hallow it becomes such. If you could also take Permanent Emanation (Selective, Widened hallow) with Beastland ferocity as well, suddenly all of your friends in the overlapping fields are immune to death from damage so long as both are up. Unfortunately, you can't have both up, as hallow forbids it. Unhallow simply suppresses (and is suppressed by) it, so that doesn't work, either. After rereading the spell text, this isn't the case.

If I could find something that works similarly to hallow but without that pesky caveat, it would make life a lot more interesting for certain epic level characters I have in mind.

flappeercraft
2018-01-01, 07:11 PM
As an example, say I have Permanent Emanation (Selective, Widened Hallow) with delay death attached. Normally, delay death isn't an AoE, but if you add it to hallow it becomes such. If you could also take Permanent Emanation (Selective, Widened hallow) with Beastland ferocity as well, suddenly all of your friends in the overlapping fields are immune to death from damage so long as both are up. Unfortunately, you can't have both up, as hallow forbids it. Unhallow simply suppresses (and is suppressed by) it, so that doesn't work, either.

If I could find something that works similarly to hallow but without that pesky caveat, it would make life a lot more interesting for certain epic level characters I have in mind.
There is one problem with that

"Spell effects that may be tied to a hallowed site include aid, bane, bless, cause fear, darkness, daylight, death ward, deeper darkness, detect evil, detect magic, dimensional anchor, discern lies, dispel magic, endure elements, freedom of movement, invisibility purge, protection from energy, remove fear, resist energy, silence, tongues, and zone of truth. Saving throws and spell resistance might apply to these spells’ effects. (See the individual spell descriptions for details.)"

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-01, 07:32 PM
There is one problem with thatNot an exhaustive list, as it "includes" those spells, but does not preclude others at all.

Crake
2018-01-02, 03:31 AM
You can both hallow and unhallow the same location. Unhallow counters hallow, as in, you can use it to counterspell, but otherwise they have no effect upon each other whatsoever. Hallow only prevents other hallow spells, so you can in fact have a hallow and unhallow together, and if you're playing pathfinder, there's also the chaos and law version of the spell, along with the true neutral version, so that's 5 different overlapping effects that you can have together.

Bronk
2018-01-02, 09:38 AM
Are there any stackable spells (other than unhallow) that grant hallow's effects of adding an attached spell effect to the affected area? I specifically want to use multiple Permanent Emanation feats to render Targeted, Area, and various Duration spells into permanent Duration AoE spells, and I want to have them all affect the same area at the same time, with the option of turning them off, and on again. For debugging purposes, if nothing else.

You could use Darkskulls (SRD, DMG) or Redeemed Darkskulls (BoED), fix a spell to them, then pop them in and out of bags of holding.

There's no stipulation as to when the spell effect needs to be fixed to the Hallow or Unhallow effect, and the Darkskull's description helpfully indicates that they aren't found with spell effects already associated with them.