PDA

View Full Version : is a barbarian/ranger multi class optimized at all?

that_one_kobold
2018-01-01, 05:09 PM
I'm thinking about a possible barbarian/ranger multi class that makes a lot of attacks, taking advantage of the barbarian's rage damage. The problem is that I can't think of a good class level distribution. Is it just impossible? I would like it if it came online by at least level 4, if not earlier. What's the best you guys can do?

JellyPooga
2018-01-01, 05:16 PM
It depends on how much you want to focus on Rage damage as opposed to spellcasting. The problem of the MC is that you can't cast or concentrate on spells while Raging, so no Rage+Hunters Mark. If you want lots of attacks with bonus damage, then single class Ranger is probably your best bet. Another option might be to go Fighter with a Barbarian dip, but to be honest, it's probably not worth it.

MrStabby
2018-01-01, 06:21 PM
It looks ok. Well determining where to stop is a pretty narrow range.

I am assuming something like barbarian X, ranger 2, 3 or 4 (depending on whether you use the revised ranger or not.

As you mention lots of attacks I assume using the hunter's level 3 ability. I assume you are not going to level 5 so no doubling of extra attack. There really isn't too much conflict here beyond the whole MAD thing. This inclines me to take a 4th level in ranger just for the ASI.

If you progress to barbarian 5, then ranger 4 then back to barbarian I think it should be pretty good.

The spell overlap is pretty much not a worry. You probably can't rage in every fight and some spells for the others can really help.

Specter
2018-01-02, 07:19 AM
In terms of damage, Fighter will usually be better. But the utility Ranger provides is far greater: you get an extra skill, become the party's tracker, and do some healing/scouting with your spells when out of combat.

If you use the spell-less ranger, you can get maneuvers which will add to your damage, but that's not AL legal.