PDA

View Full Version : good race for fighter archer?

duhast123
2018-01-01, 10:39 PM
so... im making a battle master archer, and i was thinking about going feral winged tiefling, is this a good combo?

i know the +1 to int is useless (not going eldritch Knight)

but the +2 to dex iss realy good, darkvision and fire resistence too, and of course, at will flight.

Kane0
2018-01-01, 11:29 PM
Yep, it's a pretty strong option. Goblin and Stout Halfling are also good.

duhast123
2018-01-02, 09:56 AM
Yep, it's a pretty strong option. Goblin and Stout Halfling are also good.

thanks!, it really helps

Crgaston
2018-01-02, 12:39 PM
As an archer, you're going to need to be moving a lot in order to avoid melee and to get better angles on your shots. Of course, the Winged Tiefling provides that, but can becomes less helpful indoors, underground or in a thick forest. Also, some DM's do not like flying characters. Wood Elves and Tabaxi both have +2 Dex and bonuses to movement, and natural stealth ability. The Wood elf's bonus to Wisdom helps with Perception, which is a key ability for everyone, especially archers, and the Tabaxi's climb speed can help getting into good sniping locations. Tabaxi also get Stealth and Perception for free.

Gardakan
2018-01-02, 12:44 PM
The Human Variant (if allowed) let you grab Sharpshooter at level 1.

Two + 1 in attributes and the one skill proficiency makes a pretty straight good basis for an archer.

Sharpshooter is mandatory to fight from a distance.

Dudewithknives
2018-01-02, 01:17 PM
Assuming normal creation rules consider one of these:

1. Kobold or goblin with crossbow expert, kobold gets easy advantage but sunlight issues, goblin gets bonus action dash or disengage.

If your group uses non core feats, the DNDbeyond website had Bonus feats published if you preordered Xans.

One of them was Ord Wings for Kobold, which gave +1 dex and grow wings with a flight speed.

2. Tabaxi with a longbow. 2 dex, 1 cha, 2 very good skills, a climb speed which is just amazing and the dash ability. If your gm rules you can hold on with your feet you can climb a wall and shoot. Some dms are not fans of flight on pcs but I have not met one with an issue with climbing.

3. If you can use UA material the close quarter shooter style is great.

My current group has a kobold battlemaster with Urd Wings, crossbow expert and sharpshooter at level 8. He is a beast. However we started with a bonus feat at 1st level, so might not want to have to sink 3 feats for it.

duhast123
2018-01-02, 07:41 PM
my dm already allowed the winged tiefling so..., is it a strong option? i just really like tiefling but i dont wanna build a useless character

Gardakan
2018-01-02, 07:43 PM
If you have access to human variant, go for it. The bonus feat helps a lot (Sharpshooter or Crossbow Expert).

lunaticfringe
2018-01-02, 09:00 PM
my dm already allowed the winged tiefling so..., is it a strong option? i just really like tiefling but i dont wanna build a useless character

Yes you should be fine. Fighters get bonus feats so variant human shouldn't be missed. I'd grab SS at 4 because Archery style is like +4 Dex to hit so it's easy to delay Dex ASIs till 6/8 on nonhuman Fighters.

Specter
2018-01-02, 10:22 PM
If your DMallows it, Feral Winged Tiefling and Aarakocra are your best bets, because flight.

If not, any race that boosts DEX is fine.