PDA

View Full Version : Ray of Enfeeblement, debuffs Weapon attacks only?

borg286
2018-01-02, 06:24 AM
I know that the spell specifies Weapon attacks that use strength. But it seems that if a creature is to be properly enfeebled, this spell should apply to natural attacks like bites and claws. If I enfeeble the evil fighter I expect and observe that his sword strikes are softer. But if I enfeeble the bull I'd expect his gore attack to be weaker, but because his horns aren't a weapon the Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't affect him.
This seems like an oversight. Perhaps the wording should have been melee attacks. Ranged weapon attacks don't rely on strength and I wouldn't expect Ray of Enfeeblement to impact your accuracy.

Do natural attacks count as weapon attacks or something?

borg286
2018-01-02, 06:31 AM
I see Jeremy Crawford's tweet https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/17/does-a-beasts-natural-melee-weapon-attacks-count-as-unarmed-strikes/
Which states that "A natural weapon (a claw, horn, bite, etc.) is not an unarmed strike."
Do all natural attack use a natural weapon then, which would make any natural attack a weapon attack?

borg286
2018-01-02, 06:34 AM
I'm an idiot. I am looking over the monster descriptions and I see they are all listed as "Tusk: Melee Weapon Attack" making it clear that ray of enfeeblement would apply to these "natural" attacks.

Sicarius Victis
2018-01-02, 07:01 AM
To clarify: Attacks are divided into two categories, Weapon Attacks and Spell Attacks. Weapon Attacks are all attacks using weapons, unarmed attacks, or natural weapons, while Spell Attacks are for spells and similar effects. A Fighter's longsword, a Monk's unarmed attack, and a monster's claw attack are all examples of Weapon Attacks.