PDA

View Full Version : Alignments of Heavy Metal

the_brazenburn
2018-01-02, 11:54 AM
A few months back, I created a post on the "Alignments of Classic Rock". The thread didn't accomplish as much as it could have, mostly due to people arguing about the definitions of "classic rock" or people <cough UrielAwakened cough> trolling about the inanity of the question. Please do not do these things.

All right, now we can get down to business. What are the alignments of some of the heavy metal (encompassing hard rock, heavy metal, thrash/speed metal, hair metal, ect.) bands?

ZorroGames
2018-01-02, 12:15 PM
Lord you are a masochist. Unfortunately, I was never into Heavy Metal so I have no idea but it sounds like a fun diversion from the usual fanaticism on this forum, good luck. I will check back at intervals.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-02, 01:48 PM
Any metal: None. They do not care about some D&D concept. Also, "metal" isn't a creature, so it can't have any moral or personal attitude.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-02, 01:49 PM
Any metal: None. They do not care about some D&D concept. Also, "metal" isn't a creature, so it can't have any moral or personal attitude.

Please read the previous thread. I've had this argument before.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-02, 01:51 PM
Since this hasn't gotten off the ground yet, I'll start us off with some Proto-Metal.

Led Zeppelin is N (selfish).

AC/DC is CN.

Black Sabbath (Ozzy era) is CE, Dio era is CG.

Alice Cooper is NE.

Critiques or additions?

JackPhoenix
2018-01-02, 01:57 PM
Please read the previous thread. I've had this argument before.

Maybe because (as UrielAwakened apparently noted in the previous thread I'm not going to search for) the question *is* inane and nonsensical?

Nargrakhan
2018-01-02, 02:13 PM
X Japan fluctuates from Chaotic Evil (I'll Kill You) to Neutral Evil (Jealousy) to Lawful Evil (much of the Night series) to Neutral Evil (Kiss My Ass) depending on band composition.

Yousei Teikoku is squarely Lawful Evil these days (Yui is the Immortal Queen). One might try to claim they were Chaotic Good in their early stage, but I argue that was just a facade. They're secretly DenKare, who pander as Chaotic Neutral and like to pretend being Chaotic Good because it amuses them.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-02, 03:30 PM
Metal is one heck of a genre with a lot of variance. It will be interesting to see what people listen to. Most of my stuff is pretty progressive (and maybe not that heavy), so expect a lot of Chaotic over Lawful.

Devin Townsend Project to me is very CN. Whereas Mastodon i see more of a CE flavor. TesseracT i could see as CG.

Oramac
2018-01-02, 04:26 PM
Are you basing these alignments on the lyrics or the music?

In any case:

Five Finger Death Punch: NG

Arch Enemy: LN

Killswitch Engage: CG

All That Remains: True Neutral, leaning towards Good.

Lamb of God: NE

Disturbed: CN

Metallica: LG (I know I'm going to catch hell for this one)

In This Moment: CN?

Stitched Up Heart: LG

Just my thoughts, mostly based on lyrics.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-02, 04:39 PM
Are you basing these alignments on the lyrics or the music?

In my case a little of both. Lyrics for Good-Evil axis, Music for the Law-Chaos axis.

GooeyChewie
2018-01-02, 05:03 PM
I really thought this thread was going to be a reference to this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html

Interesting concept, but I am not familiar enough with the music to say.

Vaz
2018-01-02, 05:22 PM
Depends on perception. Is Alignment a subjective or objective thing?

I really thought this thread was going to be a reference to this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html

Interesting concept, but I am not familiar enough with the music to say.

Oooh, yes please. Highly appropriate.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-03, 10:04 AM
Maybe because (as UrielAwakened apparently noted in the previous thread I'm not going to search for) the question *is* inane and nonsensical?

The question is designed to be nonsensical. It was created as a mockery of "real" alignment debates, which are equally idiotic. The people who don't take this seriously are the ones who have fun with it.