PDA

View Full Version : How abundant (or rare) do you make spell availability?

Nargrakhan
2018-01-02, 01:29 PM
Mostly fishing around for GM playing styles...

How abundant or rare do you make spells for Wizards to scribe into their spellbooks? Does it become ridiculous for a Wizard to have too many known spells? Is it expected that a Wizard will know every possible spell at the end of a level 20 campaign?

In total a wizard learns 44 non-cantrip spells (6 at the start and 2 at each new level). Do you you restrict them to (or only a few dozen over) the 44 they're guaranteed?

How do you let them obtain the spells they gain per level? Is it assumed they figure out the incantations during moments allowed in party downtime (thus instantly gained)? Do you have them undergo questing or NPC interaction to find scrolls?

On another tangent: divine spells for Clerics (and I assume Paladins) are granted by the gods. Do you ever make certain spells NOT granted by the god worshiped? For example a certain spell might be in the available list for a Cleric, but casting such a spell is against the god's ethos. For example a god who thinks all death should be absolute and final, would refuse to grant his followers the ability to cast raise dead or true resurrection, even though such spells are allowed by the PHB domain. I suppose Warlocks could fall into the same idea, being granted powers from their Patrons.

Demonslayer666
2018-01-02, 03:41 PM

How abundant or rare do you make spells for Wizards to scribe into their spellbooks? Does it become ridiculous for a Wizard to have too many known spells? Is it expected that a Wizard will know every possible spell at the end of a level 20 campaign?

In total a wizard learns 44 non-cantrip spells (6 at the start and 2 at each new level). Do you you restrict them to (or only a few dozen over) the 44 they're guaranteed?

How do you let them obtain the spells they gain per level? Is it assumed they figure out the incantations during moments allowed in party downtime (thus instantly gained)? Do you have them undergo questing or NPC interaction to find scrolls?

On another tangent: divine spells for Clerics (and I assume Paladins) are granted by the gods. Do you ever make certain spells NOT granted by the god worshiped? For example a certain spell might be in the available list for a Cleric, but casting such a spell is against the god's ethos. For example a god who thinks all death should be absolute and final, would refuse to grant his followers the ability to cast raise dead or true resurrection, even though such spells are allowed by the PHB domain. I suppose Warlocks could fall into the same idea, being granted powers from their Patrons.

I randomly generate treasure, but spell scrolls don't come along too often. I don't limit them in that respect, but I do limit what is available to buy. No, I don't feel like it becomes ridiculous even if they have a lot, that's what wizards do, and they are subject to spellbook restrictions. I would expect a wizard that just hit 20th in my game to have most of the available spells.

I let them gain them instantly upon leveling, their choice. It's assumed that they have been working on them during their downtime, and make a breakthrough. No questing or training is required.

I do not restrict divine powers based on the god's intentions. The gods in my game are very hands off, and to not watch every move of every single worshiper. The powers are granted to the character, and the character has the say on what happens with their abilities, not the gods. Continued abuse against a god's wishes would cause that follower to fall into disfavor, but it would take quite a bit of abuse to gain the god's attention. In my game, Warlocks don't gain the powers from the patron, they gained the knowledge from the pact, and that opened a doorway to explore. They don't worship the patron (unless that's what the player wants, and even then I would nudge them towards taking levels in cleric). I was once in a game where my warlock cast Guidance on the cleric and her god stepped in and prevented it. /rollseyes

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-02, 04:14 PM

I haven't had many wizards get too high, but I'd say less than 1 per level on average (with more rituals being available). Even with 44, they get one of the widest choices available, so it's not like they're hurting for more.

The 2/level (beyond 1st) are automatic. They've been experimenting since their last level, generally.

For NPCs--absolutely and uniformly.

Basically, I split Clerics (the PC class) from Priests (the NPC descriptor). Clerics are chosen in an all-or-nothing process, and the god isn't directly involved in spells (except divinations and the like). The bonus spells come from their choice of domain, of which most gods have several relevant ones. Basically, in the celestial computer system there's a flag on the individual record: IS_CLERIC. If that's TRUE, they get spells from the same source the gods pull from--the Great Mechanism that cycles soul energy throughout the cosmos. Features that directly call on the god (Divine Intervention) are directly controlled by the deity.

Priests (NPCs) are more special cases. They may have a group of spells they can cast normally, but those are usually level 1-2. Beyond that, any spells they have are direct interventions of deific power that the god can grant or deny on a case by case basis.

Paladins don't have anything to do with gods. Their conviction in their oath is all--they basically cast spells because the believe strongly enough that they can.

Warlocks have their innate connections forced open--the patron points the way but the warlock isn't necessarily drawing from the patron's power like a cleric is. That's what makes them arcane, not divine. The patron can't interfere other than through other agents.

MrStabby
2018-01-02, 08:33 PM
I tend to have quite a few scrolls lying around as a way of telegraphing the flavour of a dungeon or illustrating the skills/interests of a bad guy. You go through rooms with scrolls and other evidence of a profound interest in enchantment, then you better be prepared to roll a lot of wisdom saves.

There are diminishing returns to additional spells as a wizard can only prepare so many at once. This means once you give out a handful 90% of additional spells won't really add a lot of power. Sure some spells are so powerful or so specific that knowing them will make a big difference - avoid these and you should be fine.