PDA

View Full Version : One shot help

Galgano
2018-01-02, 02:39 PM
I'm gonna be playing in a one shot soon. We're starting at level 5. I want to play a wizard but our party needs a cleric for some heals and stuff. So I'll be multiclassing. What's a better path for multiclassing: starting as a cleric and classing into wizard, or starting wizard and classing into cleric? Also, do I stack cantrips when multiclassing?

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-02, 02:57 PM
I'm gonna be playing in a one shot soon. We're starting at level 5. I want to play a wizard but our party needs a cleric for some heals and stuff. So I'll be multiclassing. What's a better path for multiclassing: starting as a cleric and classing into wizard, or starting wizard and classing into cleric? Also, do I stack cantrips when multiclassing?

First question: Why do you want to play a Wizard over just a pure Cleric? Splitting levels between them isn't always the best way to go, since they use different casting stats. On the other hand, taking a couple of levels in Cleric can get you access to better armor, but taking only a few levels in Cleric isn't likely going to get you many healing options.

A potential option would be to take Arcana Cleric, which has some wizard-y feeling to it, and possibly taking the Ritual Caster (Wizard) Feat to get some of those spells that you can use.

If you were to do the full split of Cleric/Wizard, yes, Cantrip options stack, so you'll end up with more Cantrips by multiclassing. And I would start Cleric, unless you are taking one of the Domains that gives you access to Heavy Armor, and then I would go Wizard first, since you'll get the good armor from the Cleric dip anyways.

Madfellow
2018-01-02, 03:10 PM

Alternatively, you might ask your DM about playing a Theurge wizard. It's an experimental subclass of wizard that gets a cleric domain (Life, for example). Here's the link to the WotC website:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/wizard-revisited

Galgano
2018-01-02, 03:26 PM
The main reason is that I want to try out an elemental wizard (use spells that are fire/ice/earth/wind/lightning related). It may not be all that good but you won't know until you try. Also, the remainder of the party will be a barbarian (can't cast spells while raging...or is it just concentration?), a shadow monk, and a blade lock. So the dm asked if I could splash cleric for healing. Since this is a one shot I figured it would be fine even if my build was suboptimal. I decided to use this as a learning experience on what does and doesn't work for my play style.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-02, 03:48 PM
The main reason is that I want to try out an elemental wizard (use spells that are fire/ice/earth/wind/lightning related). It may not be all that good but you won't know until you try. Also, the remainder of the party will be a barbarian (can't cast spells while raging...or is it just concentration?), a shadow monk, and a blade lock. So the dm asked if I could splash cleric for healing. Since this is a one shot I figured it would be fine even if my build was suboptimal. I decided to use this as a learning experience on what does and doesn't work for my play style.

If that's the case, then for a one shot, maybe a Druid played like a Wizard would work? They get both elemental-y spells and some healing options.

pdegan2814
2018-01-02, 04:22 PM
I would also suggest going with an Arcana Cleric. I played one for Storm King's Thunder and really enjoyed it. You won't get all the elemental stuff you're talking about, but you do get two bonus cantrips off the Wizard list(I went with Fire Bolt and Shocking Grasp and had no regrets). Plus some of your domain spells are wizard classics like Detect & Dispel Magic, Magic Missile, etc. Aett_Thorn's suggestion of playing a Druid is not a bad idea either. They've got some nice elemental-flavored spells to play with as well as both Cure Wounds and Healing Word.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-02, 04:32 PM
Another option might be Divine Soul Sorcerer. Gets you some healing options and those cool elemental spells. Not as much options as a straight wizard but you wont be getting Fireball if you multiclass, which is of course the poster boy for elemental spells.