PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on an idea for a new campaign/BBEG?

Starchild7309
2018-01-02, 07:29 PM
So I was watching a video with Jeremy Crawford talking about death and resurrection in the D&D world and it got me thinking. What if some evil Arch Mage or a Lich or whatever (haven't thought about who exactly) has found this dark, blackest of magics artifact that would allow them to forcibly resurrect someone. Not only that, but once resurrected that person is then bound and serves the spell caster. I am think it would look something like an artifact that requires a ritual and the body of the dead person (no raising those dead for thousands of years). After the ritual is completed a copy of the nee body is formed, good as new. However, to forcibly bring the soul into the body there is like a hitchhiker (think devil or demon) that drags the soul back into the new body and rides along keeping the resurrected person in check. If need be it can seize control to stop the resurrected from doing something against its master, the spell caster. This would lead to the resurrected first having to be "broken" by the hitchhiker and then would lead to the resurrected behaving mostly normal, with just a few instances where he behaves darker or out of character when the hitchhiker is forced to seize control.

I am think the BBEG would use this to kidnap and "replace" officials high in positions of power. Gaining influence and power and wealth over years. I think perhaps some sort of exorcism would be required to remove the hitchiker from the resurrected and even with that, it being so taxing would have a chance to kill said person. I know some groups this would be not taken well, but in our group it would be well liked I think that a dead PC is brought back this way to confront the group later on.

So how does this sound? Is it crazy? Does it sound like an interesting overarching idea to build off of? Any suggestions or ideas to improve it? I am interested to see what you all think.

MrStabby
2018-01-02, 07:41 PM
I like it. It has style and a narrative role.

I wonder if swapping newly deceased with a minimum time dead would work? Resurrected dead hundreds of years old suddenly appearing might be interestingly mysterious. Giving something for the PCs to investigate.

On the other hand there is a risk to losing the fun side of the PC resurrection that you identified.