PDA

View Full Version : You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Troacctid
2018-01-03, 01:34 AM
You can use 3.5 or PF, or give different answers for both. Since you are an ordinary person, not a legendary hero, assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), although you may rearrange them if you so choose, and you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5). You are subject to normal aging bonuses and penalties. Any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have, so you don't need to worry about simulating your existing skills.

You are now a 1st level character, unless you posted in the thread from last year (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510641-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take) or the year before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476465-Every-year-starting-now-you-gain-a-level-IRL-What-is-your-build), in which case you still have any levels you gained back then (which are locked in), and you are now a higher-level character! (You may retrain using the standard retraining rules.)

(I'm a 3rd level Bardic Sage!)

atemu1234
2018-01-03, 01:41 AM
I'd probably pick Sorcerer. I've probably got at least 11 charisma, so I'd be able to use prestidigitation for most everything I need like cleaning. Pathfinder so I could do it more times per day.

DMVerdandi
2018-01-03, 02:00 AM
You can use 3.5 or PF, or give different answers for both. Since you are an ordinary person, not a legendary hero, assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), although you may rearrange them if you so choose, and you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5). You are subject to normal aging bonuses and penalties. Any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have, so you don't need to worry about simulating your existing skills.

You are now a 1st level character, unless you posted in the thread from last year (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510641-You-just-gained-a-level-in-real-life!-What-class-would-you-take) or the year before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476465-Every-year-starting-now-you-gain-a-level-IRL-What-is-your-build), in which case you still have any levels you gained back then (which are locked in), and you are now a higher-level character! (You may retrain using the standard retraining rules.)
Delicious. I might have posted in last years...

Pathfinder
Arcanist with Blood Arcanist Archetype [Psychic Bloodline].

Dragon 319 Erudite with Convert spell to power.

Either way, I am casting/manifesting without any verbal or somatic shenanigans for most of my powers.
I think that I would focus mostly on practicing using my powers. I think that covertly using mind altering powers on others would count towards experience points. Anyhow, I'd throw my full focus into developing my abilities, creating new ones, and testing the limits of control of the world I have.

Eventually as an erudite, explicitly, I'd completely fill out all of the arcane lists, as well as the Psion/wilder lists to 8.

Naturally "taking over the world" is first order of business, but I would instead do it by proxy.Disguise self as a political advisor, meet all world leaders, control their minds, and then instead of having world peace, per say, Just far more equitable and even little skirmishes.

As for leisure, having class levels will eventually give rise to me being able to maximize my earning potential. Especially when it comes to investing, trading and the like. I'd probably fence some seed money from a few billionaires first, and then use it to legitimately start my own corporation for engineering research and development (Scholar's touch should help me in gaining entry level knowledge into that field.)

Become futurist, make world better place, live lavishly.

SirNibbles
2018-01-03, 02:12 AM
edit: rebuild was denied, still taking a level of mystic ranger.

Candlejack
2018-01-03, 02:19 AM
Cleric, it automatically knows it's whole list so I wouldn't have to worry about learning new spells. The cleric spell list in general has a lot of spells that would be practical in real life. Healing, conflict avoidance, utility, aiding others' actions, and so on.

Malroth
2018-01-03, 02:36 AM
Shaper Psion, enjoy the ability to spontaneously create 1 cubic feet of Misclaneous herbal substances in the comfort of my own home.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-03, 02:38 AM
every test I make on the internet tell me I should be a wizard but I think I will take DFA for all day stuff(I like hiking and making fire will be easier).

I can't remember if I posted lest year but if I did I should be Warlock 1/DFA 1

Luccan
2018-01-03, 02:39 AM
Hmm... Honestly, gotta go Sorcerer. One, it's entirely under my own power. Two because I'm more familiar with that than say, psionics (even though Psion is apparently more versatile). Three, it's SAD. So, I'm debating between a feat and skills or a +2 bonus... Thing is, I don't really need a bonus feat. I presume some level of real-worldness applies to my ability to learn and grow as a person, so I don't really need the skill point. Gonna have to go to with that +2 to my Charisma, taking the non-elite array. So, 8 Str, 10 Dex, 11 Con, 13 Int, 9 Wis, 14 Cha. Reading that first post, I'll gain a level every year. By the time I hit middle-age, I'll not quite have access to 9ths (I'll be around... 17th level, I believe). Pumping Cha at every score increase, I should have access to 9ths right on time. Now for spells at 1st level: 0ths: Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Mending, and Light. 1st: Floating Disk and Silent Image. Carry heavy stuff and illusions! What could be more practical for the friendly neighborhood sorcerer on the go? Little to really defend myself, but unless I get too flashy, I doubt that will be necessary.

Jormengand
2018-01-03, 04:11 AM
Since you are an ordinary person

*Nonstop laughter*

assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10)

Mine... don't. So the first thing that happens is that I get noticably stronger, a lot tougher, significantly dumber and at least a little more foolish. So I guess what happens is that actually choose something completely different from what I would actually choose at my current mental stat levels, partly because they're not as good wizard or psion stats and partly because I would actually be worse at making the decision.

ChaosStar
2018-01-03, 04:54 AM
I'd go Sorcerer and get the Draconic Heritage(Gold) Feat and Martial Weapon Proficincy(Longsword), with the Wilderness Companion ACF. That would start me on the path to becoming an Elemental Savant(Fire).

Edit: I'll take the non-elite array and Pathfinder Human. Str: 8, Dex: 9, Con: 10, Int: 14(12+2), Wis: 11, Cha: 13. For skills I'll put 2 points in Knowledge(Arcana), 2 points in Knowledge(The Planes), 2 points in Diplomacy, 2 points in Spellcraft, 1 point in Handle Animal, and 2 points in Heal. My Companion would be a dog.

gkathellar
2018-01-03, 08:23 AM
Do I get starting gold? Because by real world metrics the amount of starting gold an aristocrat gets is, IIRC, almost comically vast.

EDIT: Only 270 average? Laaaaaaame. Factotum it is, then.

khadgar567
2018-01-03, 08:44 AM
solarian 1 because love being jedi to bad my shooty stuff comes start at level 2.

Sam K
2018-01-03, 10:07 AM
Assuming this thread(s) lives on for several more years, how will you handle PRCs when we get there? Do we need to meet non-build requirements? Lots of PRCs require you to be initiated in some way by an existing member of that PRC - this could be troublesome.

Hate9
2018-01-03, 10:30 AM
Pathfinder Arcanist Wordcaster, because it's the most flexible you can possibly get in Pathfinder, and I haven't played nearly as much 3.5.
I also take the alternate racial trait for Darkvision 60, and my feat goes into Racial Heritage: Roper, so I can climb ceilings and drop on people for fun if I get a few more levels.
Also, if this continues long enough, I'll be able to get Celerity, which is nice.

Telonius
2018-01-03, 10:38 AM
Last time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21546542&postcount=38):

Cloistered Cleric 2. Nothing too special this level, though a higher Fort and Will save will be nice.

So, continuing on with Cloistered Cleric 3. Yay, second level spells! Zone of Truth probably stacks with the bonuses from my "Dad" template, but are probably offset by my daughter reaching 3rd grade. Calm Emotions and Silence could be useful too. Make Whole will be great for household repairs.

EDIT: Hm, never did pick my feats for that originally. I'll have to go back and check a few. (Does a 40-50% hearing loss count as having a Flaw?)

Celestia
2018-01-03, 10:58 AM
Last year, I picked Warlock with Beguiling Influence and the feats Toughness and Troll-Blooded. I think I'll take another level in Warlock and take Shrouding Transformation. At will Alter Self seems incredibly useful in a world populated solely by humans, so I think I'll go all in for the con artist role. My ability scores will be 9, 8, 10, 13, 11, 12, and I'll put max ranks into Bluff, Disguise, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. At level two, I'll have a Bluff check at +12, Disguise at +18, and Intimidate at +14. Also, a Diplomacy of +11 with no ranks invested. That seems quite nice.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-03, 11:08 AM
Oh, nice, this topic is back already. Thanks, Troacctid.

Avowed has undergone some changes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22518524&postcount=197) since last year (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21549643&postcount=77). Here is some book keeping.
1st level shape: Aether Ray
Aether Circus replacement: Aether Erruption
Hidden Knowledge replacement: Eldritch Knowledge

Now, onto Avowed level 2. Detect magic as a spell-like ability, here I come.
Bonus feat: Intuitive Recitation.
New shape: Aether Swarm
New clause: Aquatic Affinity

And I learned about my brain
And oh, it made me smarter
I would break apart the eggshell
I would fall into the water

And I need a mantra
I need something I can imitate
Until I'm breathing like a fish
Until the purple air is white

Florian
2018-01-03, 11:24 AM
Gotta retrain, mostly because the class that is the closest fit was not around 2 years back when this started. Feats, overall skill point allocation and PrC goals stay mostly the same, tho.

So, hurray, I'm now a 3rd Level LN Human Occultist (no archetype).
My Implements are: iPhone (Conjuration), MacBook Pro (Divination) and Armani suit (Enchantment).
Feats are: Amateur Gunslinger, Persuasive and now Betrayer.
Skills are: Bluff, Craft (Alchemy), Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Local, Nobility), Profession (Soldier, Merchant, Brewer), Sense Motive - max ranks.

Edit: Sadly, still stuck with knowing only 3 1t level spells.

Luccan
2018-01-03, 12:19 PM
*Nonstop laughter*

Mine... don't. So the first thing that happens is that I get noticably stronger, a lot tougher, significantly dumber and at least a little more foolish. So I guess what happens is that actually choose something completely different from what I would actually choose at my current mental stat levels, partly because they're not as good wizard or psion stats and partly because I would actually be worse at making the decision.

You forgot the part in the OP where you can rearrange and trade out your bonus feat and skill points to a +2 in a stat.

thethird
2018-01-03, 12:19 PM
As a 3rd level psionic artificer I get magical artisan (craft universal device). Then I get myself some resetting traps tied to having levels in psionic artificer technical balderdash (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020401c). I would first get the spell storing item infusion (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/eberron-campaign-setting--12/spell-storing-item--4934/index.html), as well as guidance of the avatar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a), fabricate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fabricate/), wall of stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-stone/) (god bless arcane trapsmith).

I would get a plot of land somewhere on the countryside and build myself a nice stone house.

Malimar
2018-01-03, 12:46 PM
Woo, now I'm a Psion(seer) 2! I don't get anything at this level other than two more powers known and the ability to use them more per day.

I already knew far hand, precognition, and maybe attraction. Now I learn, hm, empathy and, hm, let's go with call to mind (that would probably have been more useful before I graduated, but it's still useful).

Next year, when I learn clairvoyant sense, will be the really fun one.

Red Fel
2018-01-03, 01:41 PM
Hey, thread's back! Fun! So let's see...

In the last thread, I had...

So, allow me to rephrase my answer with more finality. In a world where I am the only PC, this is me.Red Fel
Psion (Telepath) 1
STR: 8
DEX: 10
CON: 12
INT: 261
WIS: 13
CHA: 14

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity (Psion bonus feat).
PP/day: 2+42
Powers Known: Charm, Psionic; Inertial Armor; Mindlink.

1 The 15 in the Elite Array is here replaced by Red Fel's natural Int score, which has previously been established as 26.
2 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.
In a world where PCs are a thing:Red Fel
Erudite (Spell to Power variant) 1

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity2.
PP/day: 2+43
Powers Known4: Attraction; Demoralize; Far Hand; Inertial Armor; Matter Agitation; Mind Thrust; Missive; Synchronicity; Synesthete; Vigor.

1 The 15 in the Elite Array is here replaced by Red Fel's natural Int score, which has previously been established as 26.
2 The Spell to Power variant Erudite gains Psicrystal Affinity as a normal Erudite, but loses its bonus feat.
3 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.
4 An Erudite starts play with two 1st-level powers known, plus one for every point of INT modifier. Red Fel has an INT modifier of +8.

So, one level later, I have:

Red Fel
Psion (Telepath) 2

PP/day: 6+42
Powers Known: Attraction; Charm, Psionic; Demoralize; Inertial Armor; Mindlink.

When a Psion levels up, he gets two new Powers. Attraction and Demoralize will do well to keep people doing what I want, covertly.

Red Fel
Erudite (Spell to Power variant) 2

PP/day: 6+43
Powers Known4: Attraction; Demoralize; Disable; Far Hand; Inertial Armor; Matter Agitation; Mind Thrust; Missive; Synchronicity; Synesthete; Telempathic Projection; Vigor.

2 The Spell to Power variant Erudite gains Psicrystal Affinity as a normal Erudite, but loses its bonus feat.
4 An Erudite starts play with two 1st-level powers known, plus one for every point of INT modifier. Red Fel has an INT modifier of +8.
An Erudite, likewise, gets two powers, here Disable and Telempathic Projection. Ideal for expanding my repertoire of tools to manipulate the feeble masses.

Sadly, it will be another year before I get a new feat, but I'll bide my time. In either event, at this point, I can pretty much get anybody to do pretty much anything I like.

Krav201
2018-01-03, 03:40 PM
I'd go summoner from pathfinder. At only first level I would have most of the useful cantrips for day to day life. No prestidigitation but thats fine. on top of that i have this Eidolon friend. Basically perfectly loyal companion/guard animal with human level intelegence for my whole life

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-03, 03:52 PM
Well, I posted in the first thread, but not the second. I guess that makes me StP erudite 2 or 3. If StP erudite 3, I get to take a feat! Hmmm... assuming Linked Power and Metapower were taken at 1, I might go with, I don't know... Midnight Augmentation, prep for the Psicarnum Infusion combo? Can't take Psionic Meditation yet, due to that stupid Concentration requirement :smallsigh:.

Knaight
2018-01-03, 03:57 PM
Monk. While mapping real world stuff to D&D stats is always dicey, I don't see any reasonable interpretation of +2 to every save that isn't pretty nice.

Quertus
2018-01-03, 04:04 PM
I clearly need to re-read the previous threads, but, before I forget... If I remember right, I took my 1st level in Crusader (uugh, so suboptimal), and my second in Arcane Spellcaster? If this is correct, I suppose I'll continue in Arcane Spellcaster.

digiman619
2018-01-03, 04:21 PM
As mentioned before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21545883&postcount=8), I'm going Monk of the Four Winds, though I will re-train from Beastsoul Monk (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/beastsoul-monk) to Street Fighter (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/beastsoul-monk) and just take the Transformation (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/sphere-focused-feats#toc8)(Perfect Imitation) (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/alteration#toc35) feat for my shapeshifting needs. As for my Martial tradition (which I would qualify for by retraining into the Street Fighter archetype), judging on my SCA fighting style, would be Pikeman (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/martial-traditions#toc29), as that's what I fought with. That and I'll spend my talents into the Athletic sphere, as the that would make getting into shape easier.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-03, 04:29 PM
I would have to imagine that it would be hard to find a way to get more experience after gaining your first class level. D&D requires you to kill or at least defeat creatures to gain experience from them, and in real life people tend to be very against murder/assault and battery. There are few real world occupations that allow for the routine beating up of creatures without some sort of serious repercussion or unnecessary danger. Likewise most "monsters" in real life tend to be worth very low experience when compared to D&D, so there would need to be tedious amounts of grinding to progress in any reasonable amount of time.

I think that I would be fine as a wizard. While a fairly boring choice, I can choose to have a cat familiar just grind rats for me while I go about my day or at least round them up for me to kill later. If we use pathfinder rules I could do this until I reach level 20 as XP is constant.
But if we use 3.5 rules that strategy doesn't really work as well because XP scales, but it should get me high enough where I would be able to find alternate solutions.

Troacctid
2018-01-03, 04:33 PM
*Nonstop laughter*

Remember, any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have. You don't lose any of your existing skills or abilities; however, any new abilities will key off of the stat array you choose.

Assuming this thread(s) lives on for several more years, how will you handle PRCs when we get there? Do we need to meet non-build requirements? Lots of PRCs require you to be initiated in some way by an existing member of that PRC - this could be troublesome.
You don't have this information when making your decisions.

(Does a 40-50% hearing loss count as having a Flaw?)
No.

In a world where I am the only PC, this is me:

Red Fel
Psion (Telepath) 2
See the answer I gave Jormengand.

Well, I posted in the first thread, but not the second. I guess that makes me StP erudite 2 or 3. If StP erudite 3, I get to take a feat! Hmmm... assuming Linked Power and Metapower were taken at 1, I might go with, I don't know... Midnight Augmentation, prep for the Psicarnum Infusion combo? Can't take Psionic Meditation yet, due to that stupid Concentration requirement :smallsigh:.
You only gain the level if you post in the thread, so you would be level 2.

flappeercraft
2018-01-03, 05:06 PM
Paladin 1. Stats don't matter. I now say "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu" and I get all I really want in life. Of course by becoming Pun Pun.

LuminousWarrior
2018-01-03, 05:59 PM
Using Pathfinder rules, Cleric of [Good Diety], non-elite array with 15 Wis, 12 Int, 11 Str, 10 Con, 9 Dex, 8 Cha. Just being able to use Stabilize as an orison would make me a coveted doctor. And that's ignoring Cure Light Wounds and Channel Positive Energy. And then once you look at the Level 1 Cleric's spell list I have massive utility, even if I can only cast two or three a day.

Really, the Cleric is the best class for more everyday powers. All of the other classes are built around combat, which isn't exactly useful in everyday life. In fact, it's not just combat, but adventuring, which is even less useful. How often is being a skilled sword-fighter going to come up? How often are the powers of the magic hippie going to come up? Flying into a rage is just going to get you in prison, same with a rouge's skillset. Even a wizard only has so much that he can do. But being able to heal people, keep someone from dying with a simple prayer? That's going to make you one of the most important people in the world.

Quarian Rex
2018-01-03, 06:15 PM
First time thread poster so I would look something like this...

(Middle Aged) Human Incanter (from Spheres of Power)

Str 7 (8-1)
Dex 9 (10-1)
Con 10 (11-1)
Int 16 (13 +2+1)
Wis 10 (9+1)
Cha 13 (12+1)

1 Incanter 1
- Feat - Spellcrafting
- Feat (Human) - Extra Magic Talent - Illusion [Disappearance - Flaw] - Invisibility (Ill)
- Bonus feat - Extra Magic Talent - Warp
- Talent - Alteration
- Anarchic Transformation (Alt)
- Time [Altered Time - Flaw] - Age (Time)
- Life [Slow Recovery - Flaw] - Revitalize (Life)

Magical Tradition
Drawbacks
- Painful Magic
- Verbal Casting
- Somatic Casting x2
Boons
- Deathful Magic
- Overcharge

Teleportation, invisibility, regeneration, youth, and shapeshifting. This would be a solid basis for an Interesting Life™. Spellcraft some combinations like adding youth and/or invisibility to shapeshifting as I find convenient. While initially fun, it is the later levels that really open up the possibilities. At levels 2 and 3 I would take two levels of Thaumaturge (with the Experimentalist archetype) for the CL boost and the three variable Alteration talents from Consumption. Continuing with Incanter after that, I would pick up Ascetic Control (Enhancement talent) and Fleshwarper (feat) to be able to maintain youth and regeneration in whatever form I chose for up to a month at a time (through Spellcrafting) and begin experimenting with fleshcrafting (probably bootstrapping a biotech company for resources). Try Spellcrafting the month long duration shapeshift for other people but I'm not sure how that would shake out due to the Spellcraft rules.

The Magical Tradition was selected primarily to provide a boost to CL (+6 in total counting the boost from Thaumaturge) so that, when I need to, my reach will not exceed my grasp by quite so much. The Verbal and Somatic casting limitations are things that I can live with but the Painful Magic may be a choice that I'll come to regret. In truth though, it is probably a good thing to have a dose of pain when drawing upon the powers of the supernatural. It will prevent me from warping every jerk I meet into a three-headed, multi-anus'd stump creature (I love Anarchic Transformation)... unless they really deserve it.

The end goal milestones (in 9 to 14 more years of this thread) are to start making humanity into something more via Permanent Transformation (Alteration talent) and Transfiguration (Life talent that 'perfects' the body, removing penalties due to age, providing immunity to poison and disease, and adding to max HP) available at level 10. Anthropomorphic Transformation (Alteration talent, does what it says on the tin) can be used to uplift promising species as well. At level 15 I would be able to start making demiplanes with gleeful abandon (just the ability to use this as an effective teleporting gate network would change everything), augment humanity to the pinnacle of survivability with Hypervitalize (a Life talent that grants most of the immunities of constructs and requires disintegration or cremation to prevent healing), while freeing them from the tyranny of those who would oppress them with Unplottable (provides immunity to divination magics of any sort, including Wish and Miracle).

Thus (humbly) starts the Transhuman revolution.

Deophaun
2018-01-03, 06:43 PM
But being able to heal people, keep someone from dying with a simple prayer? That's going to make you one of the most important people in the world.
Not really. According to the rules of Pathfinder, you're doing what anyone with an above average amount of wisdom and a single rank in a class skill can do with the same degree of efficiency. Now, when you get access to remove disease and can start curing cancer, then you'll be one of the most important people in the world.

And that's when you start attracting attention.

As for how often the magic hippie's powers come up, have you seen prestidigitation or unseen servant? Those are the most real-world everyday useful spells in the whole game, and are available at level 1.

Red Fel
2018-01-03, 08:46 PM
And that's when you start attracting attention.

And that's the chief benefit of Psionics. Or going Warlock, I guess, because invisibility.

Sometimes, it's best not to attract attention. Becoming an amazing magical doctor because you can instantly stabilize a patient or remove diseases? Nice. Having wealthy clients, patient advocates, and world powers banging down your door because they want you exclusively? Slightly less nice. And since you're still Human, you're going to have to sleep eventually.

That's why I'm going Psion (or Erudite). If I'm going to be noticed - and I am - I want to be noticed as an inexplicably successful and charismatic third-world dictator, not a magical miracle worker. People are used to dictators. They're not news. A guy who can remove diseases with magic? That's news. That's big news. That's they will never leave you alone again news.

Troacctid
2018-01-03, 09:11 PM
Paladin 1. Stats don't matter. I now say "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu" and I get all I really want in life. Of course by becoming Pun Pun.
After taking your level of Paladin, you speak the words and find that nothing happens. You aren't sure why it didn't work. Your first level is locked in as Paladin.

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-03, 09:28 PM
I guess this would put me at mystic ranger 1, human paragon 2. The climb continues.

GrayDeath
2018-01-03, 09:36 PM
Avowed, now Level 3.

Relaxing to be an Eldritch Psionic whatsitsname, with everything at will. :)

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-01-03, 09:56 PM
Warlock or Magical Child Vigilante. Spellcasting, a Social Talent, and either the ability to shoot lasers or have a magic pet?

Coventry
2018-01-04, 12:03 AM
Locked in? Hmmm. Let's see:

I'm torn between two Pathfinder archetypes: Unsworn Shaman or the Synthesist Summoner.

The shaman has a longer ramp-up time, but a higher power level at the end, while the Summoner's "Iron Man" thing would be cool to try.

Ah, who am I trying to kid? I choose the Synthesist.

Yeah, that works. Synthesist Summoner, again, please.

"Mending" and "Unseen Servant" for the new spells at level 2.

Shalist
2018-01-04, 12:41 AM
Note that the 'magical training' feat lets you choose 2 or 3 (spontaneous vs. prepared) cantrips, for 3 castings per day (total), so you can take any class you want and still have prestidigitation and mend.

I can't give up spontaneous quality-of-life spells, but I am changing my 2nd level to artificer (3.5, since I'm less familiar with PF). Besides, one could always use Dark Souls playthroughs as rebuild quests for retaking these levels.

Bestow Curse is a 2nd level spell on the demonologist list (Consolidated List of "Bargain Bin" Spells for Artificers (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12661)), meaning an artificer could be scribing it at level 1. You get 2 UMD attempts per scroll, would only be out $3 if you fail both, and further success will be trivial after the first scroll.

Sorc1/art1. 13/12/11 int, cha, wis; 10/9/8 con, str, dex.
Versatile spellcaster and heighten spell for my initial feats.

Arcane spells:
1) endure elements: To greatly increase my travel options and comfort.
1) feather fall: For some incredible skydiving.
0) mending: Convenience and financial freedom.
0) prestigidation: Cleaning, pranks (i.e. changing how things taste), etc.
0) launch item: ("Challenge -me- to a water balloon fight?")
0) stick: Everything is Velcro! ("I have -what- stuck to my back?")

Artificer infusions:
1) skill enhancement: Realistically, +2 to any specific skill for 10 minutes/lvl would be a fairly noticeable boost.
1) weapon augmentation, personal: Grants a weapon any +1 enhancement (or up to +10,000 i.e. spellblades are +6,000g) for 10 minutes/lvl; that's a pretty big list ('silent strike' to silence yourself, 'merciful' firearms, 'wrecker' to ignore hardness, or a 'bane' for any situation).
For now, I'll be exploiting bestow curse to help with medical and energy research (i.e. 'cursing' researchers with +6 int / wis and +4 to all skill and ability checks); and, naturally, using it to 'max myself out' for my current resources (numerical bonuses, extra feats, youth, total anonymity, etc.).
The scrolls cost 3x what I thought (Artificers can craft items 2 levels early but still pay as if the CL were normal), but that's trivial. Assuming the previous year of bestowing benign curses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524235-You-will-always-be-first-level&p=21994096#post21994096) went well, I'll be continuing in this vein for another year.

Sorc1/Art1 -> Sorc1/Art2.

Troacctid
2018-01-04, 01:17 AM
Note that the 'magical training' feat lets you choose 2 or 3 (spontaneous vs. prepared) cantrips, for 3 castings per day (total), so you can take any class you want and still have prestidigitation and mend.

The scrolls cost 3x what I thought (Artificers can craft items 2 levels early but still pay as if the CL were normal), but that's trivial. Assuming the previous year of bestowing benign curses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524235-You-will-always-be-first-level&p=21994096#post21994096) went well, I'll be continuing in this vein for another year.

Sorc1/Art1 -> Sorc1/Art2.
You found that any attempts to bestow a purely beneficial curse failed. Experimentation revealed that it was possible to include beneficial effects in a curse, but only if they were accompanied by negative side effects. In the process, you and/or anyone else you tested this on probably acquired some curses that were more uncomfortable than intended, which you'll probably want to remove.

Sam K
2018-01-04, 01:41 AM
And that's the chief benefit of Psionics. Or going Warlock, I guess, because invisibility.

Sometimes, it's best not to attract attention. Becoming an amazing magical doctor because you can instantly stabilize a patient or remove diseases? Nice. Having wealthy clients, patient advocates, and world powers banging down your door because they want you exclusively? Slightly less nice. And since you're still Human, you're going to have to sleep eventually.

That's why I'm going Psion (or Erudite). If I'm going to be noticed - and I am - I want to be noticed as an inexplicably successful and charismatic third-world dictator, not a magical miracle worker. People are used to dictators. They're not news. A guy who can remove diseases with magic? That's news. That's big news. That's they will never leave you alone again news.

This. So much this.

Also, the last guy whom supposedly healed the sick on any kind of scale? Things didn't go so well for him. Turns out governments and organised religions tend to frown on people upsetting the status quo. And real life doesn't have things like level appropriate encounters or recommended number of encounters per day - once you get noticed you'll be dealing with a zerg of people who want exclusive use of you, burn you as the witch you probably are, or cut your brain open to see what makes it work.

If you're going to work supernatural powers in the open, psion is the way to go. Personally I will stick with sorcery simply because my int isn't good enough to get high level powers, but I should be able to manage at least 6th level spells with level boosts in charisma. I'll just have to be subtle and fly under the radar, but I am not really looking for power anyway. Just enough resources and freedom to pursue my own interests without being trapped in the web of stupidity and enforced mediocrity that is society.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-01-04, 01:59 AM
Are Autism, ADHD, Psychopathy, Nerve problems(very low ability to feel pain), Continuous Headache and Fussy(Pain killers only) Flaws/Templates?

Anyway, I think I Forgot to choose invocation and feats last year with my first level.

Warlock 1 invocation:
Baleful Utterance

Dragonfire Adapt 1 invocation:
Endure Exposure

I will become the best travel be foot in the world or a Red Fel minion if I will be able to find him(That look like fun and my ability to reprogram myself(I have some flaws/templates in the top of this comment with the reason) will make me a good minion).

My stats should be:
Very high Int and Dex
High Con
Above average Wis and Str
Average Cha

I can use the 8-13 abilities because I don't have balance in my abilities but I should have way higher Stats.

Abilities:
13 Int
13 dex(11+2 from human feat and skill bonuses)
12 con
10 Wis
9 Str
8 Cha(I can't understand humans but they are very easy to influence).

Feats:
Will be edited later, after I will get an answer for the question above.

Troacctid
2018-01-04, 02:13 AM
Are Autism, ADHD, Psychopathy, Nerve problems(very low ability to feel pain), Continuous Headache and Fussy(Pain killers only) Flaws/Templates?
No. None of your existing abilities or disabilities are taken into account.

Karmea
2018-01-04, 03:53 AM
Archivist 3. Taking Craft Wondrous Items. Also, 2nd level spells, whee!

You can heal people, just be subtle about it, take precautions and don't stay in one place too long. Don't use your powers in the open. Be the (disguised) temp janitor/nurse/whatever at a time when the hospital had a lucky streak, not the miracle healer.

ben-zayb
2018-01-04, 04:12 AM
I like how this became some sort of New Year tradition. Telepath 3. My plan will not be derailed.

Just gonna repost this, with the additional plan that I'd start spreading stories about certain "strange people" amongst conspiracy circles, which especially easy in this day and age. It'd be just like before with most conspiracies and hoaxes, but we'll now get actual solid evidences that will make even the skeptics pay attention.

Seriously, I'd prefer something that blends well into ordinary urban society. As much as possible, no big and flashy effects, ridiculous transformations (except disguises for blending in), eerie chants/gestures, crapton of props/items, and pulling stuff out of thin air.

So given those, I'd go first for a Telepath 5 with the Telepathy ACF, picking up Mindsight ASAP. This nets me practical uses IRL like Bluff/Diplomacy/Gather Info/Sense Motive ranks, and powers like Psionic Charm, Catfall, Synesthete, Sustenance, Psionic Tongues, Detect Hostile Intent, and Touchsight. It will be followed with Slayer 10 for immunity to being located using devices and getting Listen/Spot ranks. I'll get more nifty powers like Temporal Acceleration, Psychic Reformation, Psionic Divination, Psionic FoM, Psionic Dominate, Psionic Modify Memory, Mind Probe, Psychometry, and Mass Cloud Mind, maybe spending a feat to get Metamorphosis too for dire situations where I'll need it, or for just being in disguise. Thrallherd would be redundant if I could pick up Leadership anyway, so I'll finish it of with just more Telepath levels. By now, I'll also be having Mind Seed and True Mind Switch for virtual immortality, Psionic Greater Teleport for easy transportation (but making sure nobody sees me popping in and out), and Bend Reality.

TL;DR: Telepath 10 / Slayer 10 for subtle powers, unlocatability, leadership, and social skill suite. Basically, a build most suited for those in "suits".

carrdrivesyou
2018-01-04, 07:41 AM
Honestly, I would go Dragonfire Adept. They have plenty of useful invocations, and breath weapons are quite useful in a variety of situations.

I would go something like this:
13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8

STR 10
DEX 9
CON 15
INT 12
WIS 8
CHA 11

HP: 10
AC: 9
BaB 0

FORT 5
RFLX -1
WILL 1

Breath Weapon
2d6 Fire RFLX DC 13

Invocations:
Endure Elements (So as to not set things on fire unintentionally)

Feats:
Dragontouched (From Class)
Least True Dragonmark of Making (Ebberon Setting) (From Human)
-I can repair all kinds of stuff now! :D
Breath of Siberys (1st)
-makes BW more potent

Skills:
Appraise +5 = 4R+INT
Decipher Script +5 = 4R+INT
Diplomacy +4 = 4R+CHA
Know (Local) +5 = 4R+INT
Know (Engineering) +5 = 4R+INT
Speak Language +4 = 4R

Languages:
English
Spanish
Japanese
Russian
French
Mandarin

Jack_Simth
2018-01-04, 07:54 AM
Continuing my prior build plan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20350173&postcount=25). I pick up Craft Wondrous this year, as well as the ability to grab Wizard spells without the need for scrolls. Yay! Still at 1st level spells, though.

Mr Adventurer
2018-01-04, 07:54 AM
you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5).

What's this?

Tohsaka Rin
2018-01-04, 09:49 AM
Yaaay, another year, another level. Last time, on this thread:

Thanks for giving me a better idea.

Summoner (Pathfinder). With Limbs (arms) and Skilled (Profession: Construction) I can build houses while I'm fooling around on the internet.

Heck, I can even have a weekend job working for a moving company, if the customers let me use their wifi.

Any if anyone annoys me, they'd better PREPARE FOR TITANFALL.

This time, on this thread: Summoner1/Aegis1

Time to get me a (somewhat) super suit, totally immune to coffee stains. More importantly- no, nearly as importantly, I can now touch things to repair them. My computer will (almost) never need fixing, dropping my tablet will no longer give me a heart-attack, and I can have another side job where I barely do anything, and make a bunch of money.

"Dropped expensive electronics? Noooo problem!"

Astral Skin: Darkvision, Energy Resistance, Extra Arms, Lesser.

Karmea
2018-01-04, 10:05 AM
What's this?
Complacent Human from DMag 320 is the 3.5 variant.

Thaneus
2018-01-04, 10:47 AM
I'd also go with the several other guys saying Telepath 1... its just so good for this society we live in.
but for my stats... well from self assessment Str 10; Dex 6; Con 10; Int 16; Wis 8; Cha 16
but since the task is non elite array: 9;8;10;13;11;12

Yeah now I am Level 2 Psion Telepath... but what powers I have...

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-04, 10:55 AM
I don't think I've posted in this particular thread series before, although I'm certain I've posted in one like this at one point or another. Anyways, why not have a little fun?

I'm tempted to take my first level in Medic, since I put all that effort into designing the class, but it isn't particularly useful for me since I definitely don't have the physical ability scores to play a martial character.

Instead, I think I'll take my first level in Tactician (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/tactician/). I've really grown to love the collective ability, and psionics is a much more fun system than vancian magic. For my first two feats I'll just take Psionic Talent twice to get some more PP.

EDIT: For my one power known, I'll grab Call to Mind. A +4 circumstance bonus to any knowledge check is sure to come in handy.

Telonius
2018-01-04, 11:50 AM
Okay, going back and picking my feats. First level, Able Learner (will save me on some skill points for later) and Silent Spell (in case I need to conceal when I'm casting). Third level, Craft Wondrous Item. They're really useful, and having a Hat of Disguise is just too nice to pass up.

Stats (will have to apply age penalties to the base)

Str 10->9
Dex 8->7
Con 12->11
Int 11->12
Wis 13->14
Cha 9->10

A.A.King
2018-01-04, 12:03 PM
Has it been a year already....?

I had to look it up, but last year (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21557464&postcount=198) I decided to become Lord A.A.King by taking a level in the NPC Aristocrat class and just buying power with the Mercantile Background feat....

I just assumed there wouldn't be a level 2, now I need to think of something good to make-up for last years choice :smallsigh:
Oh well, at least my levelled self should have made a decent profit, can't quite say the same for real me.

EDIT: I'll take a level of Wizard, replacing Scribe Scroll with a Fighter Bonus Feat (Mounted Combat).

Mr Adventurer
2018-01-04, 12:25 PM
Complacent Human from DMag 320 is the 3.5 variant.

Cool, thanks

Deophaun
2018-01-04, 01:24 PM
Even though I posted in the first year, I never declared because I was weighing the pros and cons of being an undead abomination and eventually forgot.

Well, I'm a nay on that.

So, my first level will be a 3.5 Bard with the following stats:

Str 8, Dex 9, Con 10, Wis 15, Int 12, Cha 11.

For feats I'll grab Able Learner and for my human bonus I'll go with Great Fortitude because getting sick a dying sucks and I don't want anything vital on my human bonus feat because I won't stay human I'll take the +2 stat variant instead of the bonus feat.

I'll also pick two flaws; the standard gimmies of Murky-Eyed and Noncombatant, and use those to pick up Eschew Materials and Invisible Spell.

For spells, my four cantrips are mage hand, mending, prestidigitation, and summon instrument.

The build plan is Bard 1/Cloisterred Cleric 1/Human Paragon 3/Chameleon 10/Ardent 5. As feats really aren't an issue, I should end up with access to all 9th arcane and divine spells, and be able to slowly amass up to all 8th powers.

I intend to lay low, using some minor divinations to play the markets to amass whatever wealth I need anonymously, and then GTFO once all the GitPGers start struggling for world domination/destruction. Perhaps I will build a few arks to get the remnants of humanity to safety.

And yes, I am assuming that I am not unique here. Simply because the odds are good that if it's happened once, it's happened multiple times.

martixy
2018-01-04, 01:47 PM
Hey, thread's back! Fun! So let's see...

In the last thread, I had...

So, one level later, I have:

Red Fel
Psion (Telepath) 2

PP/day: 6+42
Powers Known: Attraction; Charm, Psionic; Demoralize; Inertial Armor; Mindlink.

When a Psion levels up, he gets two new Powers. Attraction and Demoralize will do well to keep people doing what I want, covertly.

Red Fel
Erudite (Spell to Power variant) 2

PP/day: 6+43
Powers Known4: Attraction; Demoralize; Disable; Far Hand; Inertial Armor; Matter Agitation; Mind Thrust; Missive; Synchronicity; Synesthete; Telempathic Projection; Vigor.

An Erudite, likewise, gets two powers, here Disable and Telempathic Projection. Ideal for expanding my repertoire of tools to manipulate the feeble masses.

Sadly, it will be another year before I get a new feat, but I'll bide my time. In either event, at this point, I can pretty much get anybody to do pretty much anything I like.

Not 26 int, but at least 16, maybe 18(the average human actually is really, really stupid). You leave a developed country school with a 12-14 anyway. Otherwise, yes, psion, out of which telepathy is most exploitable.

Dunsparce
2018-01-04, 01:51 PM
Pathfinder Arcane Blooded Sorcerer with a Cat Familiar(I like cats).

Light, Mage Hand, Mending, and Prestidigitation as my Cantrips, all would have use for day-to-day life.

Keep Watch and Ant Haul would be my level 1 spells, same deal.

Basically I would want to make my life easier, not much else. I have no need for anything offensive or dealing with magic.

Skills would probably some combination of Craft and Profession and feats being Skill focus for them. would make it easier for a new livelyhood without standing out.

I'm pretty boring compared to most people's ideas, but it's what it'd want over being a hero of some sort.

digiman619
2018-01-04, 02:38 PM
Not 26 int, but at least 16, maybe 18(the average human actually is really, really stupid). You leave a developed country school with a 12-14 anyway. Otherwise, yes, psion, out of which telepathy is most exploitable.

Yeah, while I have no doubts of Fel's intelligence IRL, claiming that he's allowed a 26 when the rest of us are limited to a 15 at best is kinda BS, especially for someone that the Playground acknowledges of a paragon of Law (and Evil, but the Law is the important one here).

Celestia
2018-01-04, 04:24 PM
Actually, the average human has *shock and horror* average intelligence. IQ is a bell curve with most people concentrated in the middle. Almost everyone you meet will have an IQ between 80 to 120, and chances are, so do you. If we're applying D&D stats to this, then average is, of course, 10, and most people are between 8 and 12. School does not change this. School gives you knowledge, not intelligence. An 18 is literally the smartest that a human can possibly be (at first level). That's not something that just anyone will have; that's the Einsteins and the Hawkings of D&D world.

martixy
2018-01-04, 04:39 PM
Actually, the average human has *shock and horror* average intelligence. IQ is a bell curve with most people concentrated in the middle. Almost everyone you meet will have an IQ between 80 to 120, and chances are, so do you. If we're applying D&D stats to this, then average is, of course, 10, and most people are between 8 and 12. School does not change this. School gives you knowledge, not intelligence. An 18 is literally the smartest that a human can possibly be (at first level). That's not something that just anyone will have; that's the Einsteins and the Hawkings of D&D world.

I disagree. A lot.

What you're missing here is scale and context. Leading to statements full of assumptions.

Assumption #1: IQ as an infallible measure of intelligence. That's not true.
Assumption #2: 10 points of IQ = 1 ability point - we have no reference for this so this is pure speculation.
Assumption #3: D&D average = real world average. It's not. I'd imagine peasants in D&D are a lot, lot stupider than Joe Schoe of today.
Assumption #4: 18 is the peak of human intelligence(in game or otherwise). It isn't. Just because the game said so, doesn't make it true. Contextual examples are a better metric. The easier metric, which I have looked up, so can assert with some manner of certainty is strength, where peak human is about 22-24 strength.

And the last one is flat-out wrong. School CAN and does teach what D&D defines as intelligence - the ability of critical thinking and problem solving. Those are skills that can be improved with concerted effort, not some kind of mystical talent you are born with and can never get better at.

Telonius
2018-01-04, 04:59 PM
There is a fair amount of selection bias, too. People who play D&D are probably not going to be representative of people, in general. I'd expect Int to skew higher. But, that's not the rules of the game; it'll devolve into yet another "what are your D&D stats?" thread if we start doing that.

Celestia
2018-01-04, 05:10 PM
I disagree. A lot.

What you're missing here is scale and context. Leading to statements full of assumptions.

Assumption #1: IQ as an infallible measure of intelligence. That's not true.
And neither is D&D's version of intelligence. Besides, it's the best we've got, unless you know of some other method that would be better.

Assumption #2: 10 points of IQ = 1 ability point - we have no reference for this so this is pure speculation.
Nope. Coincidence. 10 is average, and with rolling 3d6, it creates a bell curve around that. Though, I suppose the average roll is actually 10.5, so it would have been more accurate of me to say that the bell curve rests on 8 to 13, instead.

Assumption #3: D&D average = real world average. It's not. I'd imagine peasants in D&D are a lot, lot stupider than Joe Schoe of today.
The average intelligence of humanity has not meaningfully changed in tens of thousands of years. A commoner in Mesopotamia was roughly as smart as a commoner today. I imagine, in D&D, it's not much different.

Assumption #4: 18 is the peak of human intelligence(in game or otherwise). It isn't. Just because the game said so, doesn't make it true. Contextual examples are a better metric. The easier metric, which I have looked up, so can assert with some manner of certainty is strength, where peak human is about 22-24 strength.
True. With level up bonuses, a human can get up to 23. That requires gaining experience points, however, which is not something easily done in our world. I'm sure most of us are all still low level.

More than that, however, is the fact that high level characters in D&D are suppose to represent mythical figures and superheroes. Their peak is above normal human range. Sure, a human in D&D can get above 18, but that's not for the typical person. Thus, as far as we're concerned, 18 effectively is the peak.

And the last one is flat-out wrong. School CAN and does teach what D&D defines as intelligence - the ability of critical thinking and problem solving. Those are skills that can be improved with concerted effort, not some kind of mystical talent you are born with and can never get better at.
Fair point. Those are things than can be taught, but are they? When I was in school, all I was taught were facts and figures. That's what our schools do. They teach rote memorization, not critical thinking. As such, my point still stands.

martixy
2018-01-04, 05:17 PM
There is a fair amount of selection bias, too. People who play D&D are probably not going to be representative of people, in general. I'd expect Int to skew higher. But, that's not the rules of the game; it'll devolve into yet another "what are your D&D stats?" thread if we start doing that.

That too. Though I'd argue you picked the wrong "selection". More like "people who engage with these forums" than "play D&D". Though there's that too, since it's a hobby requiring a lot of free time and some disposable income and at least knowledge of english(only with 5e did they decide on a more concerted localization effort). All these factors tend to skew the demographics a certain way.

Quertus
2018-01-04, 05:35 PM
That too. Though I'd argue you picked the wrong "selection". More like "people who engage with these forums" than "play D&D". Though there's that too, since it's a hobby requiring a lot of free time and some disposable income and at least knowledge of english(only with 5e did they decide on a more concerted localization effort). All these factors tend to skew the demographics a certain way.

People who post on this forum seem, on average, above the norm. I don't know that I'd say that about most forums.

Deophaun
2018-01-04, 05:46 PM
Nope. Coincidence. 10 is average, and with rolling 3d6, it creates a bell curve around that. Though, I suppose the average roll is actually 10.5, so it would have been more accurate of me to say that the bell curve rests on 8 to 13, instead.
Standard deviation on a 3d6 is a little under 3. SD in IQ is 15. So an Int of 19 would translate to 145. Einstein, at 160, would have an Int of 22. And the highest IQ meassured of 190 would be 28.

The obvious problem here is that, at the low end of the IQ chart, you start converting into negative values for Int

Anyway, this is all besides the point as the stats have nothing to do with who we are and solely exist for the purpose of assigning game abilities: so Red Fel's sheet is stuck with the same limits to Int as everyone else's.

Falontani
2018-01-04, 06:09 PM
This seems interesting. I will take my first level in Death Master with the following stats: 8 str, 9 dex, 11 con, 13 int, 10 wis, 12 cha. My feats will be Alacritous Cogitation and Profane Lifeleech. The first to allow me to choose what spells I want instead of always needing to choose daily, I'm already late enough as it is. Profane Lifeleech will help if I'm ever in danger, I just hope that my wife and child aren't nearby when I need to use it.
With the spells Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, and Touch of Fatigue my life has a new father will be vastly easier, add in my level 1 spells of Command and Unseen Servant my quality of life will be much easier.

Red Fel
2018-01-04, 08:55 PM

Yeah, while I have no doubts of Fel's intelligence IRL, claiming that he's allowed a 26 when the rest of us are limited to a 15 at best is kinda BS, especially for someone that the Playground acknowledges of a paragon of Law (and Evil, but the Law is the important one here).

Anyway, this is all besides the point as the stats have nothing to do with who we are and solely exist for the purpose of assigning game abilities: so Red Fel's sheet is stuck with the same limits to Int as everyone else's.

Does nobody remember how, in the last thread, I linked the post where we conclusively established1 that I have 26 Int? I feel like that's relevant.

Also, I'm a villain. We're supposed to have higher stats. It makes things more challenging for the rest of you.

Come on, people. Don't bogart all of the Int points.

1 By "conclusively established," I of course mean, "I said so, and at least one person ultimately agreed."

Deophaun
2018-01-04, 09:06 PM
Now, now. You're going to PaO into a Sarrukh regardless.

digiman619
2018-01-05, 12:52 AM
Does nobody remember how, in the last thread, I linked the post where we conclusively established1 that I have 26 Int? I feel like that's relevant.

Also, I'm a villain. We're supposed to have higher stats. It makes things more challenging for the rest of you.

1 By "conclusively established," I of course mean, "I said so, and at least one person ultimately agreed."

I'm not saying you're not that smart; my objection is that you're using your IRL Intelligence to affect your stats. I'm really hardy and rarely get sick, and when I do, I' usually fine within a day or two. That doesn't mean that I should get a 24 CON. The rules were "You get a level per year, use the nonelite or standard array for your stats." You are blatantly cheating the rules on this one.

ben-zayb
2018-01-05, 01:07 AM
I hope this isn't the case of people getting worked up over something equivalent to a stranger yelling "I'm smart!"

digiman619
2018-01-05, 02:03 AM
I hope this isn't the case of people getting worked up over something equivalent to a stranger yelling "I'm smart!"

No, it's "I'm so smart that the rules don't apply to me" by someone heralded as a paragon of Law. If he was the Chaotic Evil guy on the Playground, it'd at least be in character.

The Great Wyrm
2018-01-05, 10:03 AM
I remember posting in the old thread about Red Fel's Int. I think it's possible, although unlikely, that it could be 26 IRL. A score of 26 corresponds to a z-score of (26 - 10.5)/2.958 = 5.24, which is equivalent to an IQ of 179. There have been people this smart, so this is possible. However, I would regard this as an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary evidence.

Of course, scores above 20 aren't unreasonable, especially since I expect GitP to be a nerdier, more intelligent subset of the general population. If we're going by IQ to Int direct conversions, my Int would be 21. I think the psion idea expressed earlier in this thread is probably the best option for an IRL character, and that's what I would do.

Deophaun
2018-01-05, 10:14 AM
No, it's "I'm so smart that the rules don't apply to me" by someone heralded as a paragon of Law. If he was the Chaotic Evil guy on the Playground, it'd at least be in character.
And now you see that it was all a ploy, a carefully constructed ruse carried out meticulously for years in order to get a dozen extra points of Int in a fun, annual "what if?" thread that didn't even exist when he adopted the persona.

Of course, though, Red Fel knew it would exist. Whether through his mastery of chaos theory applied to social models in the context of electronic media, or through subtle manipulation, it matters not. His mind is greater than ours, and his methods beyond our comprehension.

This plan, this masterpiece or munchkinry, and he would have gotten away with it, if not for you meddling kids!

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-05, 12:20 PM
The idea that your "in game stats" have any bearing on your real life ability (or vice versa) has already been contradicted by the OP. So comparing one to the other is pointless. I too chafe under the restrictions imposed by the build requirements provided in the opening post but that doesn't mean I can't work to maximize the effectiveness of my character and have a little fun along the way.

If Red Fel wants to say he has a 26 INT, that's fine. It doesn't matter to me all that much since he and I will likely never clash on the field of battle, and if we do I plan to be well prepared for that event. I've already spent the last two years gathering an army of young fanatics that I can mold into an elite fighting force poised to...

Damn, I really need to stop monologuing. :smalltongue:

Red Fel
2018-01-05, 02:23 PM
I've already spent the last two years gathering an army of young fanatics that I can mold into an elite fighting force poised to...

Damn, I really need to stop monologuing. :smalltongue:

It was a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude!

Zehinoc
2018-01-05, 03:47 PM
Hi! Question for the OP, can we use the generic classes from Unearthed Arcana? Arcane Spellcaster looks pretty sweet. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, are we PCs or NPCs as far as Heroic Spirit from ECS is concerned?

digiman619
2018-01-05, 04:17 PM
Hi! Question for the OP, can we use the generic classes from Unearthed Arcana? Arcane Spellcaster looks pretty sweet. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, are we PCs or NPCs as far as Heroic Spirit from ECS is concerned?

Well, seeing as some of us are using 3rd party Pathfinder, you should be fine there.

Troacctid
2018-01-05, 04:24 PM
Well, seeing as some of us are using 3rd party Pathfinder, you should be fine there.
You should only be using official material. I just don't know Pathfinder well enough to know which classes are 3rd party.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-05, 04:25 PM

I've no idea what you're talking about, good sir.

digiman619
2018-01-05, 06:38 PM
You should only be using official material. I just don't know Pathfinder well enough to know which classes are 3rd party.
Then I suck way more because I had the audacity to not pick a caster. Because Martials Can't Have Nice Things, especially when forced to use the nonelite array. Even if i used IRL attributes to cheese the system, I still suck because I didn't want to cast spells.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-05, 06:51 PM

Then I suck way more because I had the audacity to not pick a caster. Because Martials Can't Have Nice Things, especially when forced to use the nonelite array. Even if i used IRL attributes to cheese the system, I still suck because I didn't want to cast spells.

Yeah, unfortunately Pathfinder is even more "Spells or GTFO" than 3.5 was. There are no first party alternatives to vancian magic, and the stat and feat requirements for anyone who wants to do something other than sling spells are much more steep (feats in particular).

Troacctid
2018-01-05, 06:57 PM
That's fine. I wouldn't expect most people to take classes like Fighter anyway. It would be a weird choice, given the nature of the exercise, to not want at least a little magical ability.

Quertus
2018-01-05, 07:26 PM

After taking your level of Paladin, you speak the words and find that nothing happens. You aren't sure why it didn't work. Your first level is locked in as Paladin.

You found that any attempts to bestow a purely beneficial curse failed. Experimentation revealed that it was possible to include beneficial effects in a curse, but only if they were accompanied by negative side effects. In the process, you and/or anyone else you tested this on probably acquired some curses that were more uncomfortable than intended, which you'll probably want to remove.

Hmmm... This is a different tenor than I recall from previous years. Was this thread series always intended for Exploration?

Ok, let me try a few, rather than playing things close to my chest, as I have been.

Back when I picked my original class (Crusader), it sounds like yes, I was right that I "knew" Homebrew failed. What I didn't know until the second thread was that my selection of Elan was not an option. Would I have known that getting a new, immortal body was off the table when specifying my first level?

When thinking about other classes at first and on level up, do I get a sense of what my options are and what is valid? For example, I'm assuming from the above "only official material" comment, that no amount of imagining custom spells or maneuvers would allow me to fill spells known or maneuvers known slots? Similarly with refluffing, that doesn't fill slots either?

On a related note to everyone, not just the OP, creating custom spells is a thing from core on - are there any official rules for how Sorcerers do so? Arcane Spellcasters? Any rules whatsoever related to creating custom maneuvers? Because I make things - that's what I do. I don't really know how to have an approach that doesn't involve Creation.

Do flaws I took stack with my existing flaws? This is an even bigger issue if, say, refluffs I considered successfully filed slots without actually being refluffed.

Do things that would provide me with XP in D&D work to fuel my Sculpt Self feat, or was it a wasted feat? Do I have a feel for my XP?

Oh, question to all: how does retaining work? Does it normally carry a cost?

We'll start with these.

digiman619
2018-01-05, 08:33 PM
That's fine. I wouldn't expect most people to take classes like Fighter anyway. It would be a weird choice, given the nature of the exercise, to not want at least a little magical ability.
Yeah, here's the thing: I did!​ Magic =/= Spellcasting. And I chose to go Monk of the Four Winds + Beastsoul Monk (Which grants magical ability) from the first thread and stated it was 3rd party there. It's two years too late to be picky now.

Troacctid
2018-01-05, 08:50 PM
Hmmm... This is a different tenor than I recall from previous years. Was this thread series always intended for Exploration?
Well, people ask "Does this work?" and if I answer "You don't have that information when you make your decision," and they take the experimental choice, I suppose I have to tell them the results for their next decision point. 🤷🏻

Back when I picked my original class (Crusader), it sounds like yes, I was right that I "knew" Homebrew failed. What I didn't know until the second thread was that my selection of Elan was not an option. Would I have known that getting a new, immortal body was off the table when specifying my first level?
Yes.

When thinking about other classes at first and on level up, do I get a sense of what my options are and what is valid? For example, I'm assuming from the above "only official material" comment, that no amount of imagining custom spells or maneuvers would allow me to fill spells known or maneuvers known slots? Similarly with refluffing, that doesn't fill slots either?
Official material.

Do flaws I took stack with my existing flaws? This is an even bigger issue if, say, refluffs I considered successfully filed slots without actually being refluffed.
Everything is added on top of your real-life abilities. Any existing flaws you may have, have no effect on your D&D stats.

Do things that would provide me with XP in D&D work to fuel my Sculpt Self feat, or was it a wasted feat? Do I have a feel for my XP?
You didn't know how xp works—or when or how or if you might level up further—when you make your initial decision. After experimenting with your new abilities, you found that xp costs require you to gain experience in the literal sense: by having meaningful life experiences that build character.

Oh, question to all: how does retaining work? Does it normally carry a cost?
See Player's Handbook II, Chapter 8.

Yeah, here's the thing: I did!​ Magic =/= Spellcasting. And I chose to go Monk of the Four Winds + Beastsoul Monk (Which grants magical ability) from the first thread and stated it was 3rd party there. It's two years too late to be picky now.
I believe I did technically say "Pathfinder," not "Pathfinder-Compatible."

Anyway, I think it's still interesting to talk about how your answer would change under different restrictions, so I do encourage giving different answers for different rule sets. The whole thing is a hypothetical, after all. Having a baseline, however, helps keep everyone playing by the same rules, which you did say earlier was a valuable thing, right?

KillingAScarab
2018-01-05, 10:26 PM

I've no idea what you're talking about, good sir.Look, I just want to be super friends with a water elemental and have adventures where we explore submerged cities (and maybe eventually sorta be responsible for the submerging). Is that so bad that it came from playtest materials?

digiman619
2018-01-06, 02:06 AM
I believe I did technically say "Pathfinder," not "Pathfinder-Compatible."

Anyway, I think it's still interesting to talk about how your answer would change under different restrictions, so I do encourage giving different answers for different rule sets. The whole thing is a hypothetical, after all. Having a baseline, however, helps keep everyone playing by the same rules, which you did say earlier was a valuable thing, right?
With respect, Pathfinder has the biggest and most influential 3rd party scene of any RPG to date; Paizo has officially reccomended some 3PP for supporting mechanics they don't want to.

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-06, 02:21 AM
Look, I just want to be super friends with a water elemental and have adventures where we explore submerged cities (and maybe eventually sorta be responsible for the submerging). Is that so bad that it came from playtest materials?

Oooooh. Ive always wanted to live in a mostly abandonded city where the bottom half of buildings are under water and it is warm and clear enough to see the streets and cars at the bottom. With small bridges and ramshackle boats used to go from one place to another.

Florian
2018-01-06, 05:10 AM

Actually, the PF Fighter (Weapon Master) is a fast track to power, at least when it comes to the most common utility spells, being able to access them long before even a Wizard can. Now at 3rd level, Fly and DimDoor should be available, no mean feat.

But: While the 80s were cool and I love Shadowrun, I simply cannot imagine running around in a trenchcoat to hide a Katana and bullet proof vest, or going further and getting a riot shield and helmet, or sitting in my basement to fiddle with a gun and hand-craft the ammo, stuff you need for the symbolic link...

KillingAScarab
2018-01-06, 09:25 AM
Oooooh. Ive always wanted to live in a mostly abandonded city where the bottom half of buildings are under water and it is warm and clear enough to see the streets and cars at the bottom. With small bridges and ramshackle boats used to go from one place to another.I'm thinking in the initial aftermath, things might be a little cloudy, but as the incredibly irresponsible industrialists say, the solution to pollution is dilution.

Quertus
2018-01-06, 04:12 PM
Everything is added on top of your real-life abilities. Any existing flaws you may have, have no effect on your D&D stats.

Sorry, I'm actually more concerned in the opposite direction - how character sheet flaws affect us. What if IRL us already has the flaw? Does the condition get worse by combining them, or get set to the worse of the two? Or, craziest example, what if a blind man took murky eyed? (not me, so I wouldn't know that explicit answer, but it is perhaps easier to discuss than the subtle minutia of the actual case)

You didn't know how xp works—or when or how or if you might level up further—when you make your initial decision. After experimenting with your new abilities, you found that xp costs require you to gain experience in the literal sense: by having meaningful life experiences that build character.

Ok... Assuming I've had such experiences, and assuming I pick one I'd just as soon forget... And that I carefully document the experience and the process, and then "spend the XP" (being paranoid and documenting everything else that triggered an XP gain, too, if I can feel it affect my "sheet", or just guessing otherwise), what happens when I spend XP? Do some of these memories not seem as important any more, or even not seem familiar? Do my friends notice that I've changed? Or does it just affect my character sheet?

Mystic Muse
2018-01-06, 04:39 PM
Pathfinder, human wizard.

Int: 15
Wisdom: 12
Constitution: 11
Charisma: 10
Dexterity: 9
Strength: 8

Ring as my arcane bond, transmutation or illusion as my specialist school, enchantment and necromancy as opposed schools.

Feats to come later.

Esprit15
2018-01-06, 04:41 PM
Factotum 20. Take at least one rank in every skill, learn as many languages as possible. Max out Knowledge (Physics) and Knowledge (Engineering), and maybe invest some ranks in other things that seem useful. By venerable I can still manage a 21 INT, which isn't too bad (just go for 20, since we aren't adding any items or such), 276 skill points to splash at that time. Let's guess there to be about 50 skills applicable to our world, between craft, knowledge, and profession being extensive and only learning a few of those. That leaves room for some skills to invest heavily in, a few to get synergies for (like Diplomacy), and then room to be a polyglot. Heck, let's max out Diplomacy, too, maybe get into politics later on after doing engineering and physics. After all, they say there aren't enough scientists in Congress, right? And let's not even get into what someone casting spells could do.

STR 9 -6 =3
DEX 12 -6 =6
CON 10 -6 =4
INT 13 +4 +3 =20
WIS 8 +1 +3 =12
CHA 11 +3 =14

1) Skill Focus (Knowledge: Physics)
H) Skill Focus (Knowledge: Engineering)
3) Negotiator
6) Leadership
9) Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
And the rest is just Font of Inspiration. You know, for that time every day where you both need a +56 to Diplomacy and a +51 to Knowledge checks in STEM. If the world is more violent, add in Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion, too.

Taking more Factotum. Gotta continue my plans to win at the world, after all!

Level 3 of Factotum here I come! Brain Over Brawn giving me that little edge out in physical activities. Taking Negotiator as mentioned to start improving my social skills.

Quertus
2018-01-06, 07:03 PM
Still curious how lots of things play out. Say I'm proficient in, oh, I dunno, firearms IRL. I take a class like, say, Crusader with a BAB bonus. Do I...

Notice that I am better with firearms? Apparently, my sheet stats (str, dex, etc) don't carry over, how about things like BAB?

Do I notice that a can now draw a weapon trivially easily while moving?

Do I randomly hit seemingly impossible targets 5% of the time, and randomly miss the broad side of a barn 5% of the time?

Do I now know how to hit people without risk of killing them (hooray subdual damage)?

Do my various strikes and stance (and troll blood) actually heal my injuries, or only my sheet HP?

More later.

Hecuba
2018-01-06, 07:48 PM

If memory serves, I agreed that that was what you were claiming - or more specifically, that if you were indeed claiming to be the most intelligent person to ever have lived then 26 would be an acceptable representation.

The validity of the underlying claim was, if I recall, between you and your mother.

Fair point. Those are things than can be taught, but are they? When I was in school, all I was taught were facts and figures.

Mine included the Socratic method, geometry by construction, formal logic, debate, civics, statistics, experimental design, the method of loci, essay composition, creative writing, literally analysis, Classical Latin and Greek, music theory, French, and a thesis with verbal defense.

That was, to be clear, my secondary school/high school education - it does not reflect anything I pursued as part of my graduate or undergraduate studies at University.

Much of that was, admittedly, extracurricular: debate was debate club, experimental design and statistics were learned by participating in science club and fairs well after they created to be required in 5th grade. Latin and Greek were independent study facilitated by the French teacher.

You can graduate from secondary school, or even University, by going with rote memorization: you will generally have options, however, to learn far more if you wish.

Troacctid
2018-01-06, 09:24 PM
Sorry, I'm actually more concerned in the opposite direction - how character sheet flaws affect us. What if IRL us already has the flaw? Does the condition get worse by combining them, or get set to the worse of the two? Or, craziest example, what if a blind man took murky eyed? (not me, so I wouldn't know that explicit answer, but it is perhaps easier to discuss than the subtle minutia of the actual case)
Like everything else, they apply on top of your real-life abilities. In most cases, I would expect the condition to get worse in combination, but I suppose it depends on the flaw.

A blind man with the Murky-Eyed flaw would have even worse vision if possible.

Ok... Assuming I've had such experiences, and assuming I pick one I'd just as soon forget... And that I carefully document the experience and the process, and then "spend the XP" (being paranoid and documenting everything else that triggered an XP gain, too, if I can feel it affect my "sheet", or just guessing otherwise), what happens when I spend XP? Do some of these memories not seem as important any more, or even not seem familiar? Do my friends notice that I've changed? Or does it just affect my character sheet?
The only thing you lose is the ability to spend that xp on any other xp costs. Think of it as a battery that you can charge by living your life. Spending the xp uses up the battery's charge, but you still have those life experiences.

Still curious how lots of things play out. Say I'm proficient in, oh, I dunno, firearms IRL. I take a class like, say, Crusader with a BAB bonus. Do I...

Notice that I am better with firearms? Apparently, my sheet stats (str, dex, etc) don't carry over, how about things like BAB?

Do I notice that a can now draw a weapon trivially easily while moving?

Do I randomly hit seemingly impossible targets 5% of the time, and randomly miss the broad side of a barn 5% of the time?

Do I now know how to hit people without risk of killing them (hooray subdual damage)?

Do my various strikes and stance (and troll blood) actually heal my injuries, or only my sheet HP?

More later.
Real life still doesn't actually play by D&D rules, even if you have D&D stats, so you shouldn't think too hard about the math and stuff, because a lot of the underlying mechanics (like the use of the d20) aren't in play. But the things those mechanics represent are still there, so, for example, you will notice that your aim improves slightly as your BAB goes up.

And as for healing—hit points are an abstract mechanic, but as a rule of thumb, you can generally count on an effect to have an effect like what a D&D character would experience in-universe. So for the Martial Spirit stance: "This healing represents the vigor, drive, and toughness you inspire in others. Your connection to the divine causes such inspiration to have a real, tangible effect on your allies' health." For Crusader's Strike: "This power washes over you as your weapon finds its mark, mending your wounds and giving you the strength to fight on."

Yahzi
2018-01-07, 03:58 AM
Just being able to use Stabilize as an orison would make me a coveted doctor.
Exactly right.

You could be saving four or five lives a day. What other powers matter, compared to that?

JKTrickster
2018-01-07, 11:33 AM
This seems cool and the perfect nerdy thing that these forums would do every year.

But I wonder why some people are going with 3. 5 when it seems obvious that Pathfinder is the superior option? Outside of maybe: Druids, Archivists, and StP Erudites there isn't really a lot of reason to go DnD 3.5 over Pathfinder. Although the spell selection or feat selection might be more limited, the classes themselves are way stronger.

Can I just write Pathfinder Psion and then go along with my life on this? I swear I'll update with more specifics in due time! But I'm not entirely sure exactly what kind of Psion to be.

Interesting note: If we choose Pathfinder, do we get to get our Favored Class Bonus too?

Quertus
2018-01-07, 11:33 AM
Like everything else, they apply on top of your real-life abilities. In most cases, I would expect the condition to get worse in combination, but I suppose it depends on the flaw.

A blind man with the Murky-Eyed flaw would have even worse vision if possible.

The only thing you lose is the ability to spend that xp on any other xp costs. Think of it as a battery that you can charge by living your life. Spending the xp uses up the battery's charge, but you still have those life experiences.

Real life still doesn't actually play by D&D rules, even if you have D&D stats, so you shouldn't think too hard about the math and stuff, because a lot of the underlying mechanics (like the use of the d20) aren't in play. But the things those mechanics represent are still there, so, for example, you will notice that your aim improves slightly as your BAB goes up.

And as for healing—hit points are an abstract mechanic, but as a rule of thumb, you can generally count on an effect to have an effect like what a D&D character would experience in-universe. So for the Martial Spirit stance: "This healing represents the vigor, drive, and toughness you inspire in others. Your connection to the divine causes such inspiration to have a real, tangible effect on your allies' health." For Crusader's Strike: "This power washes over you as your weapon finds its mark, mending your wounds and giving you the strength to fight on."

So I'm actually good on XP, but ****ed on flaws. And sheet abilities matter. Got it. My very flawed self has had plenty of time to be sculpted better.

Just to be sure, since you care so much about fluff, refluffed things did not work, right?

Now, for more hard-core experimentation.

I'll lock in one spell with the best spell in the game: Prestidigitation. Because nothing is better for experiments, IMO.

D&D teleportation effects require certain planar geography to exist in order to be effective. So I attempt to use Prestidigitation to teleport a small object from one hand to another - a listed example of what the big P can do. Does it work?

I attempt to use Prestidigitation for effects which are clearly in line with its power level, but which have never been explicitly published. Do any of them work?

Florian
2018-01-07, 11:44 AM
Do any of them work?

Remember Elminster visiting Ed Greenwood from time to time?
For Pathfinder, our Earth is only another planet on the Prime and it´s even canon that you can and have to go visit it, including alternate versions (Did you know that Rasputin was an Oracle and Paris is full of Ghouls?)

khadgar567
2018-01-07, 12:17 PM
Remember Elminster visiting Ed Greenwood from time to time?
For Pathfinder, our Earth is only another planet on the Prime and it´s even canon that you can and have to go visit it, including alternate versions (Did you know that Rasputin was an Oracle and Paris is full of Ghouls?)
and in starfinder its just few months to travel to earth if you deploy beacons regularly then around a week to visit earth then pop back to absalom to get a job

Troacctid
2018-01-07, 12:59 PM
So I'm actually good on XP, but ****ed on flaws. And sheet abilities matter. Got it. My very flawed self has had plenty of time to be sculpted better.

Just to be sure, since you care so much about fluff, refluffed things did not work, right?
Refluffing is generally under the purview of the DM, not the player, with minor exceptions. (I believe there's a note somewhere about players doing it for spells.) You are the player in this scenario.

Now, for more hard-core experimentation.

I'll lock in one spell with the best spell in the game: Prestidigitation. Because nothing is better for experiments, IMO.

D&D teleportation effects require certain planar geography to exist in order to be effective. So I attempt to use Prestidigitation to teleport a small object from one hand to another - a listed example of what the big P can do. Does it work?

I attempt to use Prestidigitation for effects which are clearly in line with its power level, but which have never been explicitly published. Do any of them work?
The spell does what the text says it does. Any use for it that's not described in the text fails. Repeated experimentation in an attempt to achieve new effects constitutes spell research, and could ultimately result in the invention of a new cantrip.

Cestes
2018-01-07, 02:09 PM
Imma just gonna say that I will be over here being a h ttps://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Pie_Mage_(3.5e_Class) and never need to buy food again!

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-07, 02:16 PM
Imma just gonna say that I will be over here being a h ttps://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Pie_Mage_(3.5e_Class) and never need to buy food again!

/topic

Side note- is the card magic variant for pf witch legal? I could get behind some card slinging action.

Mystic Muse
2018-01-07, 02:44 PM
/topic

Side note- is the card magic variant for pf witch legal? I could get behind some card slinging action.

Only if you challenge somebody to a duel whenever you fight them, and a shadow game when the stakes are really serious. :smalltongue:

(Sorry, had to.)

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-07, 02:50 PM
Only if you challenge somebody to a duel whenever you fight them, and a shadow game when the stakes are really serious. :smalltongue:

(Sorry, had to.)

Its all good.

Jackalias
2018-01-07, 04:16 PM
Probably a synthesist summoner from Pathfinder.

ben-zayb
2018-01-07, 05:34 PM
But I wonder why some people are going with 3. 5 when it seems obvious that Pathfinder is the superior option? Outside of maybe: Druids, Archivists, and StP Erudites there isn't really a lot of reason to go DnD 3.5 over Pathfinder. Although the spell selection or feat selection might be more limited, the classes themselves are way stronger.

Can I just write Pathfinder Psion and then go along with my life on this? I swear I'll update with more specifics in due time! But I'm not entirely sure exactly what kind of Psion to be.

Interesting note: If we choose Pathfinder, do we get to get our Favored Class Bonus too?Aside from you answering your own question, some people actually don't play PF and are thus unfamiliar with the material (and won't be bothered to start getting familiar with it just because of this one thread)

sabernoir
2018-01-07, 06:10 PM
Most likely Cleric (3.5), not only do I get to know the whole spell list, I'd get the domain abilities as well, such as spontaneous Calm Emotions or heat resistance. Also, when the zombie apocalypse inevitably comes to pass, I'll stand a chance.

Quertus
2018-01-07, 07:23 PM
Refluffing is generally under the purview of the DM, not the player, with minor exceptions. (I believe there's a note somewhere about players doing it for spells.) You are the player in this scenario.

Huh. IMO, it's usually the player coming up with a refluff top four their concept. Of course, then again, IMO, it's usually the player suggesting or inventing homebrew to fit their concept. Either way, doesn't work in this thread, fair enough.

The spell does what the text says it does. Any use for it that's not described in the text fails. Repeated experimentation in an attempt to achieve new effects constitutes spell research, and could ultimately result in the invention of a new cantrip.

I picked Prestidigitation because it is an inherently, explicitly open-ended spell. The way, say, Wish is. If my research suggests that I'll have to cast 1,000 wishes to "research" anything not explicitly called out in an example, well, it greatly reduces the value of Wish (unless I'm rolling in XP from life experiences, but even then...)

On the plus side, I will likely investigate this research concept for many of my higher level slots.

As I recall from previous threads, there's a "no early entry shenanigans" clause? So many of my Sculpt Self abilities are sealed off behind a "not before 20xx" barrier? Fair enough.

Is there any RAW on what it would take to get a new Elan body? Or do I just keep trying to make a ritual to create a new immortal body, sacrificing virgins at midnight under the light of a new moon* until something happens?

Combine the above two paragraphs, and I have similar questions about Rituals. I just have to experiment, and then I still have to wait until 20xx to perform rituals of a certain power level?

This experimentation... makes Wizard potentially better (for me, at least) than Arcane Caster, due to unlimited spells known, give or take how ritual research compares to spell research. It depends on so many factors, including how well my spell research vs ritual research works, how much free time I have based on how much money skill checks let me make, whether I enjoy spell research as much as I do writing code, and either how confident I am that I can get access to non-evil taint and invent a non-evil Tainted Sorcerer vs how willing I am to go evil for the original Tainted Sorcerer and how confident I am that I will be able to qualify for it.

However, even this assumes that I'm role-playing poorly. Because, if I don't know that I'll only go to level 20, I may just assume that I'll gain access to Eschew Materials (or Ignore Materials, whichever is epic) to cast resurrection without needing a 5k gp diamond. :smallannoyed:

On the plus side, if I do become immortal, and get a new feat every year, there's a feat to let "limited spells known" spontaneous casters learn additional spells, right? So, even if I make all the wrong choices, for all the wrong reasons, I'll still be able to make Arcane Spellcaster work eventually, right?

And, of course, if I start hearing news about miracle healers pooping up, well, that will change things, too. As would being abducted by government agencies "for my protection"...

* or, you know, whatever my research & spellcraft suggest might work as a path to simple immortality (without becoming undead).

KillingAScarab
2018-01-07, 11:02 PM
This seems cool and the perfect nerdy thing that these forums would do every year.

Interesting note: If we choose Pathfinder, do we get to get our Favored Class Bonus too?

Aside from you answering your own question, some people actually don't play PF and are thus unfamiliar with the material (and won't be bothered to start getting familiar with it just because of this one thread)Also, until fairly recently, there were things in D&D 3.5 which didn't have equivalents in Pathfinder, such as Incarnum. There still isn't a warlock equivalent, though that class which I keep advertising (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509440-Forrestfire-Studios-Playtest-The-Avowed-a-3pp-warlock-with-a-psychic-bent) is in playtest.

As Troacctid has stated a dislike of 3rd party material for this exercise, however, I suppose I will have to come up with an alternative build... Shaman (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/), with the Deep Shaman (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/archetypes/paizo-shaman-archetypes/deep-shaman-shaman-archetype/) archetype, seems well suited to what I'm after.

Human
Deep Shaman 2
Str 9, Dex 10, Con 8, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 12
Spirit: Waves
Spirit ability: Wave Strike (Su)
Spirit animal: Trilobite
Hexes: Deep Heart (Su)
Feats: Combat Casting, Quick Preparation
Human favored class bonus spells
Orisons: Enhanced Diplomacy, Spark

I turn the other cheek
I'm dropping, I am one
Into the hands of nameless lands
To which you cannot run

El Dorado
2018-01-08, 12:56 AM
Transmuter wizard 1.
Opposition schools: Divination, Enchantment
Str 10, Dex 9, Con 11, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
hp: 10
Feats: Great Fortitude, Toughness

Transmuter wizard 2! I’d also retrain an opposition school from divination to necromancy. Not sure what I was thinking there.

JBPuffin
2018-01-08, 01:22 AM
Time to pick up that second level of Summoner...

NG Alternate Human Evolutionist Summoner 2
Str 8 Con 10 Dex 12 Int 11 Wis 9 Cha 15

Alternate Human Racial Traits: Comprehensive Education (All Knowledges as class skills, +1 racial bonus on skill checks for each Knowledge skill that they gain as a class skill from their class levels [from Summoner that's all of them...so +1 to All Knowledges?{going the RAW reading that isn't how I first read it...}]), Focused Study (Skill Focus at 1st, 8th, and 16th; picking Diplomacy)
Favored Class: Summoner (+1 SR to Eidolon)
Speaks Common and Celestial

12 HP, Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +2, BAB 0, AC 12, Init +1
5'8, 178 lb, blonde, blue-eyed (spectacled)
Quarterstaff: -3 vs AC, 1d6-1 bludg
Light Crossbow: +2 vs AC, 1d8 pierce
Hide Armor, Light Crossbow, Quarterstaff

Linguistics: +4, Spellcraft: +4
Noncombatant (-2 to melee attack rolls) Flaw: Resilient Eidolon - Eidolon sticks around (Summoner levels) rounds after you are knocked unconscious, fall asleep, or are killed, in case you don't get back up
Vulnerable (-1 AC) Flaw: Vigilant Eidolon - While your eidolon is within your reach, you gain a +4 bonus on Perception checks. If you have 10 or more ranks in Perception, this bonus increases to +8. This does not apply if your eidolon is helpless or unconscious.
Focused Study - Skill Focus(Diplomacy): +3 to Diplomacy checks (+5 total bonus)
1st Level: Extra Evolution - +1 to EP Pool
0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Mending
1: Life Conduit, Mage Armor, Snowball

Starting at 1st level, a summoner forms a close bond with his eidolon. Whenever the eidolon takes enough damage to send it back to its home plane, the summoner can sacrifice any number of hit points. Each hit point sacrificed in this way prevents 1 point of damage done to the eidolon. This can prevent the eidolon from being sent back to its home plane.

In addition, the eidolon and the summoner must remain within 100 feet of one another for the eidolon to remain at full strength. If the eidolon is beyond 100 feet but closer than 1,000 feet, its current and maximum hit point totals are reduced by 50%. If the eidolon is more than 1,000 feet away but closer than 10,000 feet, its current and maximum hit point totals are reduced by 75%. If the eidolon is more than 10,000 feet away, it is immediately returned to its home plane. Current hit points lost in this way are not restored when the eidolon gets closer to its summoner, but its maximum hit point total does return to normal.
Starting at 1st level, a summoner can cast summon monster I as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. Drawing upon this ability uses up the same power as the summoner uses to call his eidolon. As a result, he can only use this ability when his eidolon is not summoned. He can cast this spell as a standard action and the creatures remain for 1 minute per level (instead of 1 round per level). At 3rd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, the power of this ability increases by one spell level, allowing him to summon more powerful creatures (to a maximum of summon monster IX at 17th level). At 19th level, this ability can be used as gate or summon monster IX. If used as gate, the summoner must pay any required material components. A summoner cannot have more than one summon monster or gate spell active in this way at one time. If this ability is used again, any existing summon monster or gate immediately ends. These summon spells are considered to be part of his spell list for the purposes of spell trigger and spell completion items. In addition, he can expend uses of this ability to fufill the construction requirements of any magic item he creates, so long as he can use this ability to cast the required spell.
A summoner begins play with the ability to summon to his side a powerful outsider called an eidolon. The eidolon forms a link with the summoner, who, forever after, summons an aspect of the same creature. An eidolon has the same alignment as the summoner that calls it and can speak all of his languages. Eidolons are treated as summoned creatures, except that they are not sent back to their home plane until reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to or greater than their Constitution score. In addition, due to its tie to its summoner, an eidolon can touch and attack creatures warded by protection from evil and similar effects that prevent contact with summoned creatures.

A summoner can summon his eidolon in a ritual that takes 1 minute to perform. When summoned in this way, the eidolon hit points are unchanged from the last time it was dismissed or banished. The only exception to this is if the eidolon was slain, in which case it returns with half its normal hit points. The eidolon does not heal naturally. The eidolon remains until dismissed by the summoner (a standard action). If the eidolon is sent back to its home plane due to death, it cannot be summoned again until the following day. The eidolon cannot be sent back to its home plane by means of dispel magic, but spells such as dismissal and banishment work normally. If the summoner is unconscious, asleep, or killed, his eidolon is immediately banished. The eidolon takes a form shaped by the summoner’s desires. The eidolon’s Hit Dice, saving throws, skills, feats, and abilities are tied to the summoner’s class level and increase as the summoner gains levels. In addition, each eidolon receives a pool of evolution points, based on the summoner’s class level, that can be used to give the eidolon different abilities and powers. Whenever the summoner gains a level, he must decide how these points are spent, and they are set until he gains another level of summoner.

The eidolon’s physical appearance is up to the summoner, but it always appears as some sort of fantastical creature. This control is not fine enough to make the eidolon appear like a specific creature. The eidolon also bears a glowing rune that is identical to a rune that appears on the summoner’s forehead as long as the eidolon is summoned. While this rune can be hidden through mundane means, it cannot be concealed through magic that changes appearance, such as alter self or polymorph (although invisibility does conceal it as long as the spell lasts).

Kye - Using Aboleth Model (Reach [Tentacle], 2x Tentacles), Basic Magic (stabilize) Multiattack feat
Starting at 2nd level, a summoner can, as a standard action, share the senses of his eidolon, hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting, and touching everything the eidolon does. He can use this ability a number of rounds per day equal to his summoner level. There is no range to this effect, but the eidolon and the summoner must be on the same plane. The summoner can end this effect as a free action.

Troacctid
2018-01-08, 01:49 AM
Is there any RAW on what it would take to get a new Elan body? Or do I just keep trying to make a ritual to create a new immortal body, sacrificing virgins at midnight under the light of a new moon* until something happens?
Not that I know of. Although off the top of my head, there is at least one prestige class (Shaper of Form) that allows you to change your race.

Combine the above two paragraphs, and I have similar questions about Rituals. I just have to experiment, and then I still have to wait until 20xx to perform rituals of a certain power level?
Rituals? Isn't that a category of feat?

This experimentation... makes Wizard potentially better (for me, at least) than Arcane Caster, due to unlimited spells known, give or take how ritual research compares to spell research. It depends on so many factors, including how well my spell research vs ritual research works, how much free time I have based on how much money skill checks let me make, whether I enjoy spell research as much as I do writing code, and either how confident I am that I can get access to non-evil taint and invent a non-evil Tainted Sorcerer vs how willing I am to go evil for the original Tainted Sorcerer and how confident I am that I will be able to qualify for it.
Researching original spells does cost 1000 gp per week (as per the DMG), which is not cheap.

MaesterOlorin
2018-01-08, 02:00 AM
. Since you are an ordinary person, not a legendary hero, assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10),
(I'm a 3rd level Bardic Sage!)

Hahaha! yeah... No. I always hated the standard arrays, but didn't know exactly. I finally figured out why be when I started looking at things like what is a light load and how long I could hold my breath, and if you consider each standard deviation of IQ from the norm equivalent to the +/-1 per, then it all made sense, those stats were so far below my actual abilities that it was just infuriating.

Str 17
Dex 8 -yes, I know at least this isn't 5e :smallwink:
Con 16
Int 17
Wis 18
Cha 18

As for levels: first level human Rogue. Hope to see you in a year, ought to be taking a level of paladin.

Troacctid
2018-01-08, 02:05 AM
Hahaha! yeah... No. I always hated the standard arrays, but didn't know exactly. I finally figured out why be when I started looking at things like what is a light load and how long I could hold my breath, and if you consider each standard deviation of IQ from the norm equivalent to the +/-1 per, then it all made sense, those stats were so far below my actual abilities that it was just infuriating.

Str 17
Con 16
Int 17
Wis 18
Cha 18

As for levels: first level human Rogue. Hope to see you in a year.
You use either the standard array or the nonelite array. Remember, any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have. You don't lose any of your existing skills or abilities; however, any new abilities will key off of the stat array you choose.

Florian
2018-01-08, 03:07 AM
Researching original spells does cost 1000 gp per week (as per the DMG), which is not cheap.

Actually, how do we handle that (and WBL)? Looking at the cost of a standard Krügerrand, GP seem to be very expensive.

vasilidor
2018-01-08, 03:16 AM
pathfinder Investigator, Empiricist archtype. I friggin love that class. I take cure light wounds, ant haul, endure elements, crafter's fortune, and Expiditious retreat for extracts, Deadly aim and point blank shot for feats.

Celestia
2018-01-08, 03:37 AM
Str 17
Con 16
Int 17
Wis 18
Cha 18
Why, aren't you just so modest?

Daedroth
2018-01-08, 07:01 AM
2nd level dragonfire adept!

I choose Frost breath effect

DMVerdandi
2018-01-08, 07:43 AM
So what are some mundane uses for your class abilities that you all would use day to day?
Just common stuff

2nd level STP Erudite:

>Unseen servant for cleaning and organizing
>Psionic Charm Person to charm people
>Mage hand for grabbing stuff
>Scholar's Touch so I Can read stuff quickly
>Cheat to win at gambling

Celestia
2018-01-08, 09:23 AM
So what are some mundane uses for your class abilities that you all would use day to day?
Just common stuff

2nd level STP Erudite:

Beguiling Influence to get laid become popular.
Shrouding Transformation to frame other people for my crimes become beautiful.
Eldritch Blast to kill my enemies open that ****ing plastic packaging that even scissors can't open!
Detect Magic to... uh...

DMVerdandi
2018-01-08, 09:46 AM
Beguiling Influence to get laid become popular.
Shrouding Transformation to frame other people for my crimes become beautiful.
Eldritch Blast to kill my enemies open that ****ing plastic packaging that even scissors can't open!
Detect Magic to... uh...

That feel when you use detect magic for the first time and the only people you seem to see with magic auras are successful and wealthy.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/240/699/000.gif

Quickly find means for nondetection.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-08, 10:01 AM
Just common stuffNow that I have a trilobite for a spirit animal (gonna name it Pickyavit (https://www.quora.com/What-were-the-first-fossils-discovered)), I can scare so many people.

Goodberry (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/goodberry) and hidden spring (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hidden-spring). Enough said.
Heightened awareness (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/heightened-awareness) will eventually be the best part of waking up. Tears to wine (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/tears-to-wine) will be my new band name.
Dancing lantern (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dancing-lantern) could be useful if flashlights count. No more wishing I had a headlamp, and it might even work without batteries.
Discern next of kin (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/discern-next-of-kin) would be incredibly useful at family reunions... if I could just find a copper piece.

Quertus
2018-01-08, 01:18 PM
Just common stuff

2nd level STP Erudite:

I'm in this for the long game, the "the sun going out some day will be a problem" long game.

But healing and Prestidigitation and skill boosts seem kinda handy in the mean time, IMO.

Not that I know of. Although off the top of my head, there is at least one prestige class (Shaper of Form) that allows you to change your race.

Given that retraining is on the table, and racial rebuilding is in the same chapter of the PH2, I'd say that it sounds quite plausible that I'd be an Elan by now. Especially using Wield Skill to boost my knowledge to know how to go about it.

Rituals? Isn't that a category of feat?

I may have the wrong word. The things from Unearthed Arcana. Do a ritual, make a skill check, get effect, profit.

Actually, how do we handle that (and WBL)? Looking at the cost of a standard Krügerrand, GP seem to be very expensive.

Yeah, this is an issue. How does wealth work?

A cow is worth 10 gp, a pig 3 gp. It looks like I could buy a pig for $300, and maybe buy a cow for $1,000. So, maybe 1 gp = $100.

A candle runs around $1, making the cost of 1 cp match up. D&D crowbar costs 2 gp? Well, some modem crowbar cost over $200... but others cost under $20.

A common inn stay is listed at 5 sp; the average hotel in the USA costs $137/night. That places the value of the gp at nearly $300.

A pony is listed at 30 gp. The modern price is around $1,000, making each gp worth just over $33.

So... If 1 gp ~= $100 (which seems close), that's $100,000 per spell level. Ouch!

Making money by crafting, at an easy DC 15, that's 15x15 sp/week, or 22.5 gp per week, or $22,500 $2,250 per week income.

While I may not have the money to spend all my time researching custom spells, I think I'll have plenty of free time to earn life experiences. :smallwink:

Quarian Rex
2018-01-08, 01:36 PM
Making money by crafting, at an easy DC 15, that's 15x15 sp/week, or 22.5 gp per week, or $22,500 per week income.

I think you misplaced a comma there. It looks more like $2,250 per week. Still pretty damn good but not quite what you assumed.

Though that does bring up whether such checks would work at all. They are designed as a simple abstraction for downtime activities in a game world based on that worlds economics (or lack thereof). Assuming that those same abstractions would apply to this world may not be correct. While just about every other game effect is far more self-contained and their interactions on the world can be sussed out fairly easily, this is more a reflection of the worlds effect on you (how much it is willing to reward your efforts). This might be one game mechanic that we can't cheese in the real world, and just have to come up with ideas on how to use our abilities to gain fame and fortune in the world on its terms. I can't see any situation in this world where a mundane blacksmith or basketweaver would be making over $100,000.00 a year (and that is just with 1st level skill checks, it just gets more nuts from there).

Quertus
2018-01-08, 01:48 PM
I think you misplaced a comma there. It looks more like $2,250 per week. Still pretty damn good but not quite what you assumed.

Though that does bring up whether such checks would work at all. They are designed as a simple abstraction for downtime activities in a game world based on that worlds economics (or lack thereof). Assuming that those same abstractions would apply to this world may not be correct. While just about every other game effect is far more self-contained and their interactions on the world can be sussed out fairly easily, this is more a reflection of the worlds effect on you (how much it is willing to reward your efforts). This might be one game mechanic that we can't cheese in the real world, and just have to come up with ideas on how to use our abilities to gain fame and fortune in the world on its terms. I can't see any situation in this world where a mundane blacksmith or basketweaver would be making over $100,000.00 a year (and that is just with 1st level skill checks, it just gets more nuts from there).

Oops, fixed. :smallredface:

Creating golden jewelry, perhaps, could reach that threshold?

Testing what effect the character sheet has on "this" world is no small part of what I'd be trying to do - that's just my nature. :smallwink:

Troacctid
2018-01-08, 02:31 PM
Assume that a reasonable exchange rate with the local currency exists. Exactly what that exchange rate is should not be terribly important to this exercise.

Just common stuff

2nd level STP Erudite:

How are you learning those arcane spells?

Given that retraining is on the table, and racial rebuilding is in the same chapter of the PH2, I'd say that it sounds quite plausible that I'd be an Elan by now. Especially using Wield Skill to boost my knowledge to know how to go about it.
Check out that chapter again. Rebuilding is a much more involved process than retraining. It's not something you're going to be able to accomplish over a long weekend.

I may have the wrong word. The things from Unearthed Arcana. Do a ritual, make a skill check, get effect, profit.
Sounds like it's a variant rule that's not in use.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-09, 10:57 AM
How are you learning those arcane spells?Probably by finding some of the rest of us. Which reminds me, fellow posters, I request that you avoid practicing your class abilities in abandoned steam tunnels. Besides a desire to avoid repeating negative RPG press, you should also have the knowledge by now that rooftops are more dramatic and all the suspiciously empty parking garages are reserved by Highlander.

Quertus
2018-01-09, 11:16 AM
A little thing that's been bothering me: who is making the decisions?

Because, if the me that is getting the abilities is the me that is making the choices, well, there are so many subtle details like how things feel that would influence my choices. And the not so subtle details, like reports of people using their powers, being hunted down by fellow Playgrounders, or being abducted by government agencies "for my protection".

As it stands, I can only make educated guesses as to what a me in that scenario would do, based on very incomplete information about their experience.

Otoh, if the scenario is explicitly "an alternate reality me is picking class levels for a me in a different reality, for whom they have limited omniscience" or some such, then that produces a somewhat different result. And feels very different for the me who is seemingly powerless to choose how they will evolve.

Omniscient narrator: <Bing!> "You just gained a level in Crusader." :smallbiggrin:
Me: "WTF?!" :smalleek: (looks around for the source of the disembodied voice)
Me: (realizes he knows martial stances and other things he didn't before, and suffers from new/more flaws) "... My player is an idiot." :smallannoyed:

digiman619
2018-01-09, 11:45 AM
Probably by finding some of the rest of us. Which reminds me, fellow posters, I request that you avoid practicing your class abilities in abandoned steam tunnels. Besides a desire to avoid repeating negative RPG press, you should also have the knowledge by now that rooftops are more dramatic and all the suspiciously empty parking garages are reserved by Highlander.

I assume they are in the Abandoned Buildings District that are reserved fro Kaiju/Megazord fights.

Florian
2018-01-09, 01:37 PM
Probably by finding some of the rest of us. Which reminds me, fellow posters, I request that you avoid practicing your class abilities in abandoned steam tunnels. Besides a desire to avoid repeating negative RPG press, you should also have the knowledge by now that rooftops are more dramatic and all the suspiciously empty parking garages are reserved by Highlander.

Funny. My chosen class is all about coaxing magical power from mundane items, while the PrC I aim towards could also be called Prophet of Wall Street. So practicing my art mist likely means a high-class bar with WLAN ;)

Troacctid
2018-01-09, 05:42 PM
Probably by finding some of the rest of us.
Keep in mind that you don't know if there will be others when you make your decision. Would you still choose Erudite if you're going in blind without any guarantee of being able to learn new powers?

You also won't know any arcane spells at all, of course, until you can connect with another person who knows them and is willing to let you mind-meld with them. I don't believe you've done this yet. Also note that you can only learn arcane spells (and discipline powers) that are at least 1 level lower than the highest-level power you can manifest.

A little thing that's been bothering me: who is making the decisions?

Because, if the me that is getting the abilities is the me that is making the choices, well, there are so many subtle details like how things feel that would influence my choices. And the not so subtle details, like reports of people using their powers, being hunted down by fellow Playgrounders, or being abducted by government agencies "for my protection".

As it stands, I can only make educated guesses as to what a me in that scenario would do, based on very incomplete information about their experience.
You're making the decisions for yourself.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-14, 01:33 AM
Just thought of another daily use for class abilities. While I imagine I wouldn't be the greatest at achieving the pushing effect from wave strike, being able to drench someone within arm's reach could be quite cathartic.

I assume they are in the Abandoned Buildings District that are reserved fro Kaiju/Megazord fights.The day-for-night Megazord fights are fairly rare, so I guess they can share them.

Funny. My chosen class is all about coaxing magical power from mundane items, while the PrC I aim towards could also be called Prophet of Wall Street. So practicing my art mist likely means a high-class bar with WLAN ;)I thought with profession (brewer) you were going to use craft (alchemy) to make awesome micro-brews. Then again, I really don't know much about Occultist. Still, some of those bars do have balconies. Close enough.

Florian
2018-01-14, 03:10 AM
I thought with profession (brewer) you were going to use craft (alchemy) to make awesome micro-brews. Then again, I really don't know much about Occultist. Still, some of those bars do have balconies. Close enough.

Occultist is a fun little class (and balance wise, the "better Wizard"). Basically, every few levels, you might "bond" with a new item, which then enable to learn a new school of magic and associated spells known, as well as giving some unique abilities and passive stat boosts connected with that school of magic (ex: bonding with a Conjuration item will give a passive boost to all social skills, the ability to summon monsters as SLA, while Divination will give a boost to perception and the ability to gain flashes of insight...). So it´s a jack of all trades class that comes with a lot of "easy living" class features attached.

The PrC I´m preparing to take, Prophet of Kalistrade, is an odd duck, tho. The core concept of it can be summed at with "gain power by being filthy rich". Beyond being really good at doing business, it turns wearing a Rolex, Saville Row suit and so on into AC and saves boni (scaling with how much its worth), but, more funny, it allows spellcasting for straight cash. Need this or that obscure or overly specialized spell right now? Take my credit card.

So, overall, while brewing is my passion, what else do you do besides that when having some Kinsman-style abilities?

Pyromancer999
2018-01-14, 04:05 PM
If it's alright to post new ones, I'd probably go as follows:

Do not quite believe the nonelite array portrays me very well, but would go:

Int 14(12+2 for Human)
Wis 11
Cha 8
Str 10
Con 13(Health is important)
Dex 9

Psychic Detective Investigator for my first level, as I love the Investigator class, as skills-based characters are fun, and the Psychic spell list is fairly fun. Plus, extracts are basically magical drugs of some definition or another, and besides not being comfortable with that, definitely asking to be called out by the police if you're carrying around a large amount of strange herbal substances.

Cantrips/knacks would likely be Prestidigitation for obvious reasons, Mage Hand for coolness, Mending to keep my gear in top notch condition, and Detect Magic so I know when to run. 1st level spells would be Unseen Servant so I don't have to worry about doing all my chores around my place all the time and Mage Armor for just in case.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-15, 10:07 AM
If it's alright to post new ones...Of course!

Psychic Detective Investigator for my first level, as I love the Investigator class, as skills-based characters are fun, and the Psychic spell list is fairly fun.Not only does that look like a fun archetype (if a roundabout way of remaking the 3.5 psychic rogue), this is also what I was hoping Sense8 would have done with Will. I wish you luck in your endeavors as a private psi.

weckar
2018-01-15, 10:14 AM
1st lvl Warlock with Leaps & Bounds as the invocation. An equivalent +12(!!!) for most macro-uses of the ability score gets my OK!

Pyromancer999
2018-01-15, 02:02 PM
Of course!

Not only does that look like a fun archetype (if a roundabout way of remaking the 3.5 psychic rogue), this is also what I was hoping Sense8 would have done with Will. I wish you luck in your endeavors as a private psi.

Excellent pun, but more aiming for skills and some neato magic, as day-to-day, knowledge and other skill checks are very much a part of most people's jobs, which is where Inspiration can help out a lot. Granted, would be interested in checking out some of the more minor weird stuff that comes up and help out there eventually, but not much combat use at level 1. Also, Prestidigitation would likely be more used for household stuff/the cleaning properties, and Unseen Servant to help me with stuff like making meals after a long day, laundry, and other parts of household chores, thus freeing up my day and saving loads on cleaning products. Won't have an Investigator Talent till 5th, but probably will be taking Expanded Inspiration to become a Pseudo-/emergency doctor for me and my friends and family(free Inspiration on Heal), and to be extra good at whatever job I choose(same thing with Profession checks).

Tl;dr: While going for a sort of "I investigate the dark stuff nobody knows about/chooses to ignore" sort of noir thing, more going for "guy who's pretty good at his job and knows some neat magic stuff too" with a side of preparing to defend a bit against supernatural stuff that may come my way.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-17, 02:39 AM
1st lvl Warlock with Leaps & Bounds as the invocation. An equivalent +12(!!!) for most macro-uses of the ability score gets my OK!Suggestion: leaps and bounds in a bouncy castle.

Eldest
2018-01-17, 09:25 AM
I really think that array doesn't represent me. Class wise, I'm a bard 2 at this point or so, with a 16 or so in charisma, 14+ in int (2 languages spoken and I sign ASL), an 8 in wisdom, and pretty average scores in the physical stuff.

BearonVonMu
2018-01-17, 10:28 AM
I am too lazy to hash out the specific spells I would have, but I would take a level in Sorcerer Sage, with a focus on researching d20 modern spells to add to my list.

Deophaun
2018-01-17, 11:35 AM
I propose a new rule: next person who complains about the array not reflecting them has their sheet's Int locked at 8, regardless of array chosen.

Celestia
2018-01-17, 11:58 AM
I propose a new rule: next person who complains about the array not reflecting them has their sheet's Int locked at 8, regardless of array chosen.
Seconded..

Vizzerdrix
2018-01-17, 12:18 PM

Ooooh that could be an improvement in some cases XD

Fuzzy McCoy
2018-01-17, 12:20 PM
Wizard, swapping my familiar for an animal companion. If I figure out that I do gain levels, see if I can't rebuild to Rogue 1/Wizard x, shooting towards unseen seer.

From last year, so take Rogue and then rebuild to flip the levels.

I'd also probably choose the non-elite array: Str: 11, Dex: 10, Con: 12, Int: 13, Wis: 9, Cha: 8

ben-zayb
2018-01-17, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of us have "stats" that don't match that array. I still don't mind if other posters don't want to follow the rules, as I can simply just ignore such posts.

theboss
2018-01-17, 05:46 PM
I'd go Ranger 1. I like the woods, also I like TWF and I don't think i have enough dex for it IRL :biggrin:
So Human Ranger:
Str: 17 (I'm in shape and working really hard, so I think it's about it)
Con: 15 (A bit skinny, but not too much)
Dex: 12 (average + alike.)
Wis: 10
Int: 12 (as dex..)
Cha: 13 (my mom thinks I'm handsome XD)

Good skills, pretty agile and strong...
Rapier in main hand and dagger in off hand... so cool :smile:

Troacctid
2018-01-17, 09:45 PM
I really think that array doesn't represent me. Class wise, I'm a bard 2 at this point or so, with a 16 or so in charisma, 14+ in int (2 languages spoken and I sign ASL), an 8 in wisdom, and pretty average scores in the physical stuff.
It doesn't really matter if they represent you or not. You get those scores and you can arrange them how you like.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-18, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure a lot of us have "stats" that don't match that array. I still don't mind if other posters don't want to follow the rules, as I can simply just ignore such posts.Same. That said, Red Fel was at least entertaining.

I'd go Ranger 1. I like the woods, also I like TWF and I don't think i have enough dex for it IRL :biggrin:
Rapier in main hand and dagger in off hand... so cool :smile:You're the main gauche (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger) now, dawg.

theboss
2018-01-18, 01:54 PM
You're the main gauche (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger) now, dawg.

Oh my :smile:
Didn't noticed that.... A true coincidence.

jedikiller
2018-01-18, 03:01 PM
Bard. Do I have to explain the ultimate generalist/prankster class with prestidigation and ghost sound.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-18, 10:13 PM
Bard. Do I have to explain the ultimate generalist/prankster class with prestidigation and ghost sound.Bards do not explain. They regale, or exposit (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html), or recap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0864.html).

digiman619
2018-01-19, 06:08 AM
Bards do not explain. They regale, or exposit (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0013.html), or recap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0864.html).

They can also do wordplay, but only if they don't speak for the Kings court; regular bards can make puns, but heralds cant (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canting_arms).

KillingAScarab
2018-01-19, 12:13 PM
They can also do wordplay, but only if they don't speak for the Kings court; regular bards can make puns, but heralds cant (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canting_arms).*slow clap*

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-21, 04:13 AM
Looks like I didn't weigh in to those previous threads, but I'm obviously a level 2 expert already. My feats are "martial weapons proficiency (all axes)" and "I count as a spellcaster for the purpose of the craft alchemy skill because how else did I become a chemist". Yeah, a ranger/alchemist build would have gotten me further without cheating, but what's done is done, and those classes are for important people anyway.

I'm pretty sure my intelligence score is below 16, because it feels like I'm not taking 10 on DC20 experiments yet. (5 skill ranks + 2 for working in a full lab + int bonus) If I could get another skill point in there, get the skill focus craft alchemy feat and switch to Pathfinder for a +3 to all class skills I just might be able to skip ahead to taking 10 on DC25 experiments.

You know what, I think I'll do that, go Pathfinder expert. I like me some whitewater kayaking, some climbing, some camping, some survival type stuff from time to time, but with real adventurer levels there are so many unhealthy expectations about going out and slaying dragons all the time. That's the real problem we should talk to our youth about. Forget smoking or having lots of/not zero but certainly not a lot of sex depending on your gender, they need to know the cool kids didn't really kill a dragon on their own, that it's entirely normal to not have any adventurer levels as a teenager and that you don't need to pretend by carrying around a longbow with a draw strength you can't use.

On the other hand, maybe I should just not take a level, I kind of like this username.

Troacctid
2018-01-21, 04:59 AM
Looks like I didn't weigh in to those previous threads, but I'm obviously a level 2 expert already. My feats are "martial weapons proficiency (all axes)" and "I count as a spellcaster for the purpose of the craft alchemy skill because how else did I become a chemist". Yeah, a ranger/alchemist build would have gotten me further without cheating, but what's done is done, and those classes are for important people anyway.

I'm pretty sure my intelligence score is below 16, because it feels like I'm not taking 10 on DC20 experiments yet. (5 skill ranks + 2 for working in a full lab + int bonus) If I could get another skill point in there, get the skill focus craft alchemy feat and switch to Pathfinder for a +3 to all class skills I just might be able to skip ahead to taking 10 on DC25 experiments.

You know what, I think I'll do that, go Pathfinder expert. I like me some whitewater kayaking, some climbing, some camping, some survival type stuff from time to time, but with real adventurer levels there are so many unhealthy expectations about going out and slaying dragons all the time. That's the real problem we should talk to our youth about. Forget smoking or having lots of/not zero but certainly not a lot of sex depending on your gender, they need to know the cool kids didn't really kill a dragon on their own, that it's entirely normal to not have any adventurer levels as a teenager and that you don't need to pretend by carrying around a longbow with a draw strength you can't use.

On the other hand, maybe I should just not take a level, I kind of like this username.
You'd be a level 1 Expert, if that's the class you want to pick.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-21, 09:03 AM
You'd be a level 1 Expert, if that's the class you want to pick.

Fine. I'll go play somewhere else if I'm breaking the rules of this very specific fantasy.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-21, 09:11 AM
Looks like I didn't weigh in to those previous threads, but I'm obviously a level 2 expert already.

You'd be a level 1 Expert, if that's the class you want to pick.To expound, the first thread stated that once you start, you gain a level every year.

On the other hand, maybe I should just not take a level, I kind of like this username.That is also a valid choice.

You know what, I think I'll do that, go Pathfinder expert. I like me some whitewater kayaking, some climbing, some camping, some survival type stuff from time to time, but with real adventurer levels there are so many unhealthy expectations about going out and slaying dragons all the time. That's the real problem we should talk to our youth about. Forget smoking or having lots of/not zero but certainly not a lot of sex depending on your gender, they need to know the cool kids didn't really kill a dragon on their own, that it's entirely normal to not have any adventurer levels as a teenager and that you don't need to pretend by carrying around a longbow with a draw strength you can't use.This stuff is institutionalized, and for what purpose? Can you imagine how awkward the high school marching bard tournaments are to watch? You're sitting on cold bleechers while some instrumentalists are blaring out "Eye of the Tiger" on fifes, trying to inspire courage in each other just before they strut out of sight to mostly get slaughtered by the omega hare. All so only one can survive to tell the tale... and then we judge based on how well that tale is told!

Troacctid
2018-01-22, 02:46 AM
Fine. I'll go play somewhere else if I'm breaking the rules of this very specific fantasy.
Basically, this exercise is about gaining new abilities, not simulating what you already have, so one of the parameters is that any class levels you take are overlaid on top of whatever "stats" you currently have. You can think of it as a gestalt, I suppose.

Celestia
2018-01-22, 08:28 AM
Basically, this exercise is about gaining new abilities, not simulating what you already have, so one of the parameters is that any class levels you take are overlaid on top of whatever "stats" you currently have. You can think of it as a gestalt, I suppose.
Ah, so you mean I'm not just a Warlock 2; I'm actually a Warlock 2//Loser Nerd 1? Awesome.

Florian
2018-01-22, 09:33 AM
Ah, so you mean I'm not just a Warlock 2; I'm actually a Warlock 2//Loser Nerd 1? Awesome.

Funny, but unnecessary hyperbole. In this exercise, we are who we are and we know what we know. What we do ist try to image what happens when we also gain one fantasy class level as a "Gestalt".

So on my RL side, I'm a Projekt Manager 3/Freelance SAP developer 4/Brewery Owner 1 and on my Fantasy side, I'm now a //Occultist 3, using the provided standard stat array for it.

Nebuul
2018-01-22, 08:53 PM
From a different thread, I was a level 1 bard:

Human Bard
Precocious Apprentice
Diplomat

Level 0 spells:
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation
Songbird

Level 2 spell:
Cure Moderate Wounds

Skills (assuming 14 Int) = (6+2+1)x4 = 36
4 Perform (oratory)
4 Diplomacy
4 Sense Motive
4 Bluff
4 Speak Language (7 total languages)
4 Heal
4 Appraise
4 Craft (Alchemist)
4 Profession (Herbalism)

For my 2nd level, I pick warlock and take beguiling influence, continue to pump bluff, sense motive, appraise, and diplomacy. The world is mine.

Yue Ryong
2018-01-26, 11:19 AM
...Cool. I am now a Pactmaker (Occult Scholar Archetype) 1. Int + Cha heavy, I think? Difficult to self-judge.

SpaceCommander
2018-01-26, 02:24 PM
I choose Pun-Pun!
Pun-Pun can ascend at level one. Wizard 1. Feats: Endurance, Alertness (through viper familiar.) Here's how: Dragon Wrought kobold with near infinite age (they don't take penalties or die of old age) +6 to Wisdom and INT 18 base intelligence four ranks in Knowledge (The Planes) and a corresponding masterwork item will get you more than the necessary skill check (25) while taking ten to know that you can summon Pazuzu like Beetlejuice (saying his name three times).
Summon Pazuzu make a deal that ends up with you Lawful Neutral with a LE Candle of Invocation. Summon an Efreeti with the candle. Use the 3 wishes. Wish 1: plane shift to the astral plane. Wish 2: Another candle of invocation and wish 3: another candle. Use one to summon a Sarruhk and have it manipulate your form to have manipulate form. Ascend. (Khan explains better in his thread.)

Credit for the above goes to the pun-pun article on 1d4chan

Ok, ok, so I was kidding about Pun-Pun. I would still choose Wizard, this time with a cat familiar. Are spell points from Unearthed Arcan in play?
Feats, Skills, Spells, etc - to do

Crichton
2018-01-26, 05:19 PM
Tempted to go the usual StP Erudite route, but that's only good if there are other psions and spellcasters in the world, or at least scrolls and power stones, to learn powers from. Are there? Or is this assuming I'm the only one on Earth with these powers? If that's the case, probably Wizard, with Collegiate Wizard as a feat, to gain more spells each level. StP Erudite would be somewhat crippled without a source of new powers to learn.

Troacctid
2018-01-26, 08:06 PM
I choose Pun-Pun!
Pun-Pun can ascend at level one. Wizard 1. Feats: Endurance, Alertness (through viper familiar.) Here's how: Dragon Wrought kobold with near infinite age (they don't take penalties or die of old age) +6 to Wisdom and INT 18 base intelligence four ranks in Knowledge (The Planes) and a corresponding masterwork item will get you more than the necessary skill check (25) while taking ten to know that you can summon Pazuzu like Beetlejuice (saying his name three times).
Summon Pazuzu make a deal that ends up with you Lawful Neutral with a LE Candle of Invocation. Summon an Efreeti with the candle. Use the 3 wishes. Wish 1: plane shift to the astral plane. Wish 2: Another candle of invocation and wish 3: another candle. Use one to summon a Sarruhk and have it manipulate your form to have manipulate form. Ascend. (Khan explains better in his thread.)

Credit for the above goes to the pun-pun article on 1d4chan

Ok, ok, so I was kidding about Pun-Pun. I would still choose Wizard, this time with a cat familiar. Are spell points from Unearthed Arcan in play?
Feats, Skills, Spells, etc - to do
You don't know if Pazuzu is real when you make your decision. (But he's not.)

Tempted to go the usual StP Erudite route, but that's only good if there are other psions and spellcasters in the world, or at least scrolls and power stones, to learn powers from. Are there? Or is this assuming I'm the only one on Earth with these powers? If that's the case, probably Wizard, with Collegiate Wizard as a feat, to gain more spells each level. StP Erudite would be somewhat crippled without a source of new powers to learn.
You don't have that information when you make your decision.

Firebug
2018-01-26, 10:02 PM
Looks like I posted a level 1-20 build in the original thread, but posted something Gestalt when Gestalt wasn't allowed. I would like to trim that down to just the left side if I can.

That is, Wizard 1-3 (depending on if I needed to post in the second thread to gain the level last year, and if I can trim down from gestalt). Just posting all 3 levels, and in more detail.

Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 1: Immediate Magic (PH2) (Enchantment, Evocation Banned)
Str: 9, Dex 10, Con 11, Wis 8, Int 13+2, Cha 12
1st: Extend Spell, Human: Variant +2 Int;
Concentration 4, Spellcraft 4, Knowledge(Arcana) 4, Craft(Jewelry) 4
Spellbook 0th:All(except enchantment/evocation)
Spellbook 1st: Mage Armor, Comprehend Language, Fist of Stone, Shield, Unseen Servant, Endure Elements

Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 2
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry)
Spellbook 1st: Low-light Vision, Disguise Self

Specialist Wizard(Conjuration) 3
3rd: Craft Wondorous Item
+1 Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge(Arcana), Craft(Jewelry)
Spellbook 2nd: Cloud of Knives, Invisibility

DaOldeWolf
2018-01-26, 10:33 PM
My favorite PF class is third party: Magister. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rogue-genius-games/magister/)

The capability to cast spells from both arcane and divine sources fascinates me and even if it is a single level. At this level, I would only be able to cast spells from a divine source but I wouldnt really mind. I have many options. I would probably go for divine heritage Travel to be able to walk wherever I wanted a bit faster. I would be able to cure myself from minor injuries.

If third party is not allowed then summoner (evolutionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/Summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/evolutionist)+morphic savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo-summoner-archetypes/morphic-savant-summoner-archetype/) archetypes stacked together). I would be able to modify my eidolon daily with the morphic savant feature. I would choose spells that would allow me to support it and take better care of it.

Crichton
2018-01-27, 10:28 AM
You don't have that information when you make your decision.

Aw, forget it. I'm going StP Erudite anyway. Even if there's no arcane casters in the world to learn from, I can still learn powers on my own. Just wait until I hit Level 7 and take Psychic Reformation. Imprint power stones of all my current powers, then use Reformation to re-choose all new ones, and use my Erudite ability to re-re-learn my old ones from the power stones. Spend a lot of time under the effects of Detect Psionics while I'm out and about, to see if I can spot any others out there to swap powers with.

Are we assuming the world works under psionics/magic transparency? Would Detect Psionics also detect magic in the world?

Human
STR 9, DEX 11, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 10, CHA 8

Erudite 1
ACF: Convert Spell to Power
Level 1 Feat: Extend Power
Human Bonus Feat: Hidden Talent (More power points, bonus power)

Troacctid
2018-01-27, 02:00 PM
Aw, forget it. I'm going StP Erudite anyway. Even if there's no arcane casters in the world to learn from, I can still learn powers on my own. Just wait until I hit Level 7 and take Psychic Reformation. Imprint power stones of all my current powers, then use Reformation to re-choose all new ones, and use my Erudite ability to re-re-learn my old ones from the power stones. Spend a lot of time under the effects of Detect Psionics while I'm out and about, to see if I can spot any others out there to swap powers with.
Interesting. How much value do you place on Spell-to-Power if there's no guarantee of having any access to arcane magic at all? It does cost you a bonus feat, and precludes Favored Discipline or Mantled Erudite. Multiple people so far have sprung for the STP option, which is surprising to me.

Are we assuming the world works under psionics/magic transparency? Would Detect Psionics also detect magic in the world?
That's the default rule, so sure, I'd say that's a good assumption.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-27, 02:12 PM
Is it possible to research the process/ritual to become an Elan? Because eventual immortality is high on my to-do list.

Jack_Simth
2018-01-27, 02:14 PM
Is it possible to research the process/ritual to become an Elan? Because eventual immortality is high on my to-do list.
There's quite a few Pathfinder routes to agelessness, and a couple to straight-up immortality.

Troacctid
2018-01-27, 02:16 PM
You can research anything; it's the results of that research that are up in the air.

I will say you would know, at least, that the Shaper of Form prestige class can accomplish it. Wish or Polymorph Any Object probably could as well.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-27, 02:16 PM
There's quite a few Pathfinder routes to agelessness, and a couple to straight-up immortality.

I know, but I like DSP stuff and I'm already investing in being psionic.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-27, 02:38 PM
You can research anything; it's the results of that research that are up in the air.

I will say you would know, at least, that the Shaper of Form prestige class can accomplish it. Wish or Polymorph Any Object probably could as well.

All of which are basically off limits to me as a pathfinder character using psionics. I suppose I'll have to look at other options.

Florian
2018-01-27, 02:57 PM
All of which are basically off limits to me as a pathfinder character using psionics. I suppose I'll have to look at other options.

As I understand it, anything that we might count as meta game knowledge is off-limits. Act and choose as if you were the only one of your kind and the rest doesn't matter.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-27, 03:02 PM
As I understand it, anything that we might count as meta game knowledge is off-limits. Act and choose as if you were the only one of your kind and the rest doesn't matter.

Well that's what +4 to knowledge checks and rerolls is for, I guess. Better start putting ranks into spellcraft and Knowledge: psionics

Crichton
2018-01-27, 07:22 PM
Interesting. How much value do you place on Spell-to-Power if there's no guarantee of having any access to arcane magic at all? It does cost you a bonus feat, and precludes Favored Discipline or Mantled Erudite. Multiple people so far have sprung for the STP option, which is surprising to me.

If I can't find any magic users in the world (using the transparency of Detect Psionics, for example), then I can eventually use Reality Revision to create scrolls (which are a nonpsionic item of less than 25000gp), to learn from.

Deophaun
2018-01-27, 08:06 PM
If I can't find any magic users in the world
I think the question is, "Why in the heck would you want to do something like that?" Have you seen what people in these threads would do with magic powers? And you want to let these people know that you're a potential competitor on the off chance they wouldn't mindrape you into complete servility and instead make you more powerful?

Quertus
2018-01-27, 09:13 PM

Go team immortal. :smallbiggrin:

So, any plans to deal with this "the sun might go out some day" problem?

EDIT:
I think the question is, "Why in the heck would you want to do something like that?" Have you seen what people in these threads would do with magic powers? And you want to let these people know that you're a potential competitor on the off chance they wouldn't mindrape you into complete servility and instead make you more powerful?

I promise only to mind rape you to be a better person, not complete servitude. :smallwink:

Deophaun
2018-01-27, 09:37 PM
Honestly, I plan on just making a new universe.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-27, 10:10 PM
Go team immortal. :smallbiggrin:

Relatively easy. Replace the sun with a series of gates to the elemental plane of fire. Alternatively, just leave and go somewhere else once I get to be a high enough level to planeshift.

Celestia
2018-01-27, 10:44 PM
The real problem with the sun isn't that it'll someday go out. Long before that ever happens, it'll expand into a red giant and engulf the earth. Before even that, however, it'll become hot enough to boil away the oceans and make the earth an inhospitable wasteland. You'll die billions of years before solar explosion becomes even a distant concern. (And when it does explode, the whole solar system will go with it, anyways. Stars don't die quietly like old light bulbs.)

And a gate to the plane of fire is a laughably absurd solution. Even ignoring all the other problems with a dying sun, replacing it with a gate will still spell immediate death because a simple gate won't have the gravitational pull to keep the planets in orbit. They'll all fly off and become rogue ice balls.

Jack_Simth
2018-01-27, 10:54 PM
The real problem with the sun isn't that it'll someday go out. Long before that ever happens, it'll expand into a red giant and engulf the earth. Before even that, however, it'll become hot enough to boil away the oceans and make the earth an inhospitable wasteland. You'll die billions of years before solar explosion becomes even a distant concern. (And when it does explode, the whole solar system will go with it, anyways. Stars don't die quietly like old light bulbs.)
There's disagreement on how that will go. Some figures suggest that the reduced gravity due to the sun throwing off matter, and the increased light pressure during the expansion event, will shuffle the earth's orbit further out as it goes, keeping the earth in a relatively hospitable zone.

But yes, long term, you'll want to be able to Make your (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/genesis/) own world (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/g/genesis/) and adjust it to your own tastes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane/). Solves the sun problem.

And a gate to the plane of fire is a laughably absurd solution. Even ignoring all the other problems with a dying sun, replacing it with a gate will still spell immediate death because a simple gate won't have the gravitational pull to keep the planets in orbit. They'll all fly off and become rogue ice balls.
The trick would be to put the gate to the plane of fire (or other energy solution) inside a big shell. But I plan to be an ageless incorporeal undead by then, so mundane energy sources won't be particularly relevant to me beyond company. And Simulacrum in Pathfinder doesn't require a piece of the original.

Deophaun
2018-01-27, 10:56 PM
Saving the Earth from the Red Giant phase of our Sun is so easy we can start to do it now if we wanted. It's simply a matter of picking an appropriately sized rock (a large-ish asteroid, one of the potential "planet killers" we dodge every few years should do nicely) and keeping it at a set distance and position relative to the Earth, turning it into a gravity tractor that (slowly) pulls the planet wherever you want.

There's no worry about Earth flying out of the solar system as our Sun won't go supernova. The bulk of the Sun's mass will remain so you only have to replace the energy output.

That said, there are still a couple problems.

1) It's the Elemental Plane of Fire, but the Sun is plasma, not fire. Plasma is a heck of a lot more energetic.
2) We actually don't know if any of these planes exist. In fact, a good assumption seeing as how Pazzuzu doesn't exist to grant wishes to people who would consort with demons instantly upon finding out magic is real is that anything outside of our world also doesn't.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-28, 07:20 AM
But yes, long term, you'll want to be able to Make your (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/genesis/) own world (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/g/genesis/) and adjust it to your own tastes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane/). Solves the sun problem.

The trick would be to put the gate to the plane of fire (or other energy solution) inside a big shell. But I plan to be an ageless incorporeal undead by then, so mundane energy sources won't be particularly relevant to me beyond company. And Simulacrum in Pathfinder doesn't require a piece of the original.People have big plans for 12 to 16 years from now. "Honey, company is coming over, and they still breathe an oxygen atmosphere and use visible light to see. Do remember to create a star at the appropriate distance for them."

Florian
2018-01-28, 07:34 AM

PF Occult Adventures actually deals with some interesting concepts, as does anything having to do with the First World. I´d actually love to participate in a game that fully explores that stuff.

Basically, we can check what is written in the Akashic Records (the sum of reality) and cheat by altering some detail here or there, or grab a silver key and start a large-scale occult ritual to just change reality as it is or collectively transfer over to the Dreamlands.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-28, 08:32 AM
I guess I went to sleep before properly explaining how to deal with that whole "Sun going out problem."

You don't put gates to the elemental plane of fire in the same spot as the sun. The amount of energy they output wouldn't match the output of the sun (although there very well could be places in the elemental plane of fire that generate enough heat to produce plasma instead of "fire"), so instead, you scatter them across the surface of the planet and inside the core to keep Earth at a relatively stable temperature so that liquid water will still flow and the mantle will still stay liquid, enabling earth to maintain a strong magnetic field.

The idea isn't to replace the sun in its entirety, just its larger effects on planet earth. The important thing to remember is that we're gaining a level a year here. That means I will be level 20 before I'm 50 years old. Even if I don't become an Elan I've got a long time to prep for any issues. In 60 years time, I'll have three different classes maxed all the way to level 20 (since pathfinder doesn't have true epic level abilities). At least one of them will be one that gives me immortality, probably multiples. And I'll have years, decades, centuries etc. to prepare for any real issues. Really it's only the first decade or so that's dangerous. Once you hit level 10 in any full casting or manifesting class you've become one of the most personally powerful individuals on the planet.

So after a while the earth might look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/NwFZclz.jpg

and I might look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/uUwePor.jpg

But the Earth will survive as a rogue planet traveling the galaxy and defying the laws of thermodynamics like the divine instrument it was meant to be.

Deophaun
2018-01-28, 09:40 AM
But the Earth will survive as a rogue planet traveling the galaxy and defying the laws of thermodynamics like the divine instrument it was meant to be.
But how do you get around the whole "elemental plane of fire might not exist" problem of opening gates to the elemental plane of fire?

The Bandicoot
2018-01-28, 11:18 AM
3.5? Cloistered Cleric of Odin with the Knowledge and Travel domains.
Pathfinder? Animist Shaman

KillingAScarab
2018-01-28, 11:35 AM
But how do you get around the whole "elemental plane of fire might not exist" problem of opening gates to the elemental plane of fire?
Well, you don't know until you try. What's the worst that could ha--
*And thus, Athas was made.*

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-28, 11:53 AM

Sure, I'm operating on the assumption that it exists. If it doesn't, I'll know eventually and I'll be able to come up with a different plan. The timescale I have to work with before it even matters is massive. The sun will be fine for billions of years before I have to worry about it.

In 19 years I'll be a 20th level Tactician and (hopefully) immortal. I've got time.

Tohsaka Rin
2018-01-28, 12:33 PM

By the time that matters, I'm sure someone here will have made an elemental plane of fire in their spare time. Kind of like popping down to the corner store for a carton of milk.

"Ok, rearranged the cosmos to make a giant magical circle, fixed the planar alignment (again), got the tides working on metric, aannnd- ah, crap. I forgot to make that elemental plane. Honey! Which elemental plane did I need to make again? What? No, I already did that. No, not for- right! That one, thank you! Aaannnd there. Elemental Plane of Fire, to keep the Earth habitable. Now on to harder business, programming the VCR to watch Home Alone with the northern Druids. Those folks sure loooove slapstick."

Deophaun
2018-01-28, 01:25 PM
Sure, I'm operating on the assumption that it exists. If it doesn't, I'll know eventually and I'll be able to come up with a different plan. The timescale I have to work with before it even matters is massive. The sun will be fine for billions of years before I have to worry about it.

By the time that matters, I'm sure someone here will have made an elemental plane of fire in their spare time. Kind of like popping down to the corner store for a carton of milk.
Just a reminder: it just takes one person to IHS away the Sun. The timescales you rely upon might be drastically reduced.

Elricaltovilla
2018-01-28, 01:48 PM
Just a reminder: it just takes one person to IHS away the Sun. The timescales you rely upon might be drastically reduced.

That would require them to suffer a negative effect from the sun that the maneuver can be used on.

Additionally, I'm using the Pathfinder version of this little exercise and IHS doesn't exist in Pathfinder.

Deophaun
2018-01-28, 02:07 PM
That would require them to suffer a negative effect from the sun that the maneuver can be used on.
That's hardly a safeguard. For example, I suffer from Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome.

Tohsaka Rin
2018-01-28, 02:21 PM
That's hardly a safeguard. For example, I suffer from Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome.

That's easy to fix, just take two smacks of the rulebook of your choice across the face, and don't put out the sun in the morning. :smalltongue:

Seriously, don't though. Apollo has to take his chariot in to get serviced, and it's a real hassle. He has to drink that weird-tasting coffee, and make small talk with the soccer moms there, awkward.

Troacctid
2018-01-28, 02:45 PM
More importantly, it requires the sun to be an effect affecting you, not just to cause one.

Jack_Simth
2018-01-28, 09:18 PM
But how do you get around the whole "elemental plane of fire might not exist" problem of opening gates to the elemental plane of fire?Permanent Walls of Fire will do the job just fine. Pair with energy subsitution (Cold) walls of fire elsewhere (or permanent walls of ice, or whatever).

khadgar567
2018-01-29, 12:26 AM
One of the good things about solarian that i know when the sun is on the last legs so i can jump on diffrent planet when time comes.

atemu1234
2018-01-29, 01:23 AM
One presumes that if one could use magic in this world, the only thing to fear would be the freshly-empowered Ed Greenwood.

khadgar567
2018-01-29, 02:11 AM
One presumes that if one could use magic in this world, the only thing to fear would be the freshly-empowered Ed Greenwood.
you know we all kinda have our personal tricks( homebrew settings) to beat mister greenwood by our lazy pleasure and we do have mythos gramarie and whole different settings in minmax that can shocking grasp him to unconscious.

KillingAScarab
2018-01-29, 11:35 PM
One presumes that if one could use magic in this world, the only thing to fear would be the freshly-empowered Ed Greenwood.You mean he wouldn't just go to Toril as soon as he could?

Graypairofsocks
2018-01-30, 06:04 AM
The optimal choice in situations like these is most likely to gain wizard and cleric levels until you can take Dweomerkeeper. It's probably what I would do.

Quarian Rex
2018-02-03, 07:05 PM
I recently realized that my original build was outlawed due to lack off 3rd party support in this exercise so some hefty revisions are in order.

Human (Middle Aged) Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist)

Str 7 (8-1)
Dex 9 (10-1)
Con 10 (11-1)
Int 16 (13 +2+1)
Wis 10 (9+1)
Cha 13 (12+1)

1 [B]Alchemist [Blood Alchemist/Internal Alchemist] 1
- Class features - Alchemy, Brew Potion, Lifeblood, Alchemical Circles, Breath Mastery
- Feat - Psychic Sensitivity
- Feat (Human) - Technologist
- Forumlae (1st x5) - Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Endure Elements, See Alignment, Tears to Wine

Skills [4+3(Int)+1(Human)+1(Favored Class for 1st three levels)]
- Appraise, Craft (Alchemy), Diplomacy*, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Engineering)*, Perception, Spellcraft

* Not class skills

The idea here is to open up as many possibilities for the spread/use of these new capabilities in daily life as I can. To that end I have both the Technologist feat (to make sure that newly acquired competencies are as widely applicable as possible) and Psychic Sensitivity to open myself to more of the casual weirdness that may be surrounding me at any given time. Initial forumlae were chosen to gain greater insight into the world (Comprehend Languages), to ensure the survival of any injury that isn't immediately fatal (Cure Light Wounds), to comfortably ice skate in a speedo (Endure Elements), to gain insight into the true nature of those around me (See Alignment), and to perhaps start a low level sewage treatment plant/microbrewery (Tears to Wine).

See Alignment, though, could make things really, really interesting. How would things change for you if you found out that your child/wife/mom was neutral evil or somesuch?

From there would be a steady increase in my ability to further affect the world. First with Infusion (to be able to use my extracts on others), then eventually through the use of Alchemical Circles for unlimited use spell-like abilities, allowing such things as being my own backhoe (Expeditious Excavation), repairing all the things (Make Whole), making everything that I can lay my hands on into the best quality version that it can be (Masterwork Transformation), trying my hand at being Michelangelo/making secret bases/bunkers in the heart of a mountain (Stone Shape), be a one man sweatshop (Fabricate), and making any thing into anything (Polymorph Any Object). While other spellcasters can perform similar feats, Alchemical Circles takes this from the equivalent of artisanal crafting to the industrial revolution.

Taking Master Craftsman [Craft (Alchemy)], Craft Wondrous Item, and Fleshwarper (all feats), and the discoveries Promethean Disciple, Alchemical Simulacrum, Doppelganger Simulacrum, Alchemical Zombie, and Greater Alchemical Simulacrum will start opening up options for a more experimental future for myself and humanity. Even besides the Mad Tyrant/supersoldier options inherent in these abilities, just allowing these to be studied by science could open up all kinds of possibilities that might not otherwise exist (see bootstrapping a biotech firm). Doppelganger Simulacrum allows functional immortality since unused bodies are functionally dead but do not decay (and therefore, hopefully, do not age) and you can keep jumping to new bodies as long as your original is safe.

Researching a new magic item that allows the casting of Mind Swap (Major) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mind-swap) (possibly cost reduced through weekly uses and wondorous architecture), and researching an extract version of Sculpt Simulacrum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sculpt-simulacrum/) would allow people to enter the body of their choosing (including simulacra, construct, and undead allowing for some unique changes in perception), ushering in the first steps of a new transhuman age.

I mean, what's the point of having power unless you can change the world with it, am I right?

tterreb
2018-02-04, 06:51 AM
Factotum, because all the skills!

Quertus
2018-02-04, 12:43 PM
See Alignment, though, could make things really, really interesting. How would things change for you if you found out that your child/wife/mom was neutral evil or somesuch?

Per 2e, IIRC, 90+% of children are Chaotic Evil. This is probably related to why 2e Evil became 3e Neutral. :smalltongue:

KillingAScarab
2018-02-04, 09:13 PM
I mean, what's the point of having power unless you can change the world with it, am I right?My thought exactly, though, I guess I'm going to be Golden Age Namor.

Per 2e, IIRC, 90+% of children are Chaotic Evil.That makes the ending to Time Bandits even worse.

Xanyo
2018-02-05, 09:36 PM
All right. Using my IQ, which I recently learned, and some dice probability, I have calculated my Wisdom score to be 16.
My current build is Pugilist 1/Cleric 1
Str 8 Dex 12 Con 11 Int 10 Wis 16(see above) Cha 9
HP 17(1d10+1d8+3) AC 11(10+1)
Shake it Off
+Improved Unarmed Strike
+Endurance
Wedded to History: Survivor
Toughness
Troll Blooded
Iron Will
Shaky
Insomniac
Fortitude +3* Reflex +1 Will +8
*Using fractional
To be specific, I calculated my Wisdom by matching up the bell curves for IQ and 3d6, then found where my IQ lay.
Each level of gestalt is "one class level" as they are simply a combination. With Gestalt, I am now Pugilist 1 Swordsage 1//Cleric 2
I would calculate Red Fel's exact Intelligence, but there's nothing to base it off, as IQ is your Wisdom.