PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can an artificer curse his own items?

Slimshanks92
2018-01-03, 05:37 AM
I'm starting a chaotic evil artificer, and I plan to turn on my party. I'm thinking it'd be great if I could manage to implant a trigger word that makes everything they're wearing that's made by me weigh 1000 pounds. Or something to that effect. Does anyone know of anything like that in the rules?

Celestia
2018-01-03, 06:15 AM
If you're going to turn on them, why not do something actually useful? Making the items weigh a lot will accomplish almost nothing. They'll just drop the items and then be pissed off. I suggest that, instead, you make the items attempt to mind control the party. That way, they'll become your slaves rather than your killers.

'Course, I wouldn't know how to do that by RAW.

Slimshanks92
2018-01-03, 07:19 AM
Well I'd your shirt suddenly weights half a car, how would you get it off? But yeah I forgot to mention wanting to also make the items bind upon activation of the curse.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-03, 08:04 AM
Bind on equip is a pretty standard part of cursed items, as they go.

Anyway, the DMG has this on page 272: "Finally, items with unpredictable or cursed effects can be created by the devious intention of spellcasters who are malicious, chaotic, or simply insane".

So I'm guessing you can craft cursed items. And for good measure, a few pages later, there are crafting requirements for cursed items. For example, a -2 sword, cursed requires bestow curse and limited wish or miracle. It's really cheap, too, only 1500 gp.

Slimshanks92
2018-01-03, 08:17 AM
Bind on equip is a pretty standard part of cursed items, as they go.

Anyway, the DMG has this on page 272: "Finally, items with unpredictable or cursed effects can be created by the devious intention of spellcasters who are malicious, chaotic, or simply insane".

So I'm guessing you can craft cursed items. And for good measure, a few pages later, there are crafting requirements for cursed items. For example, a -2 sword, cursed requires bestow curse and limited wish or miracle. It's really cheap, too, only 1500 gp.

Sweet! That's exactly what i needed. thanks!

Necroticplague
2018-01-03, 10:31 AM
Well I'd your shirt suddenly weights half a car, how would you get it off?
By flipping my upper body forward (i.e, bending over), then letting the weight of the garment cause it to remove itself off of me (since a shirt weighing as much as a car will be pulled down over my head very strongly). Let gravity assist me, not fight against it.

Calthropstu
2018-01-03, 12:30 PM
By flipping my upper body forward (i.e, bending over), then letting the weight of the garment cause it to remove itself off of me (since a shirt weighing as much as a car will be pulled down over my head very strongly). Let gravity assist me, not fight against it.

Yay knowledge engineering!

Btw op, I tend to strongly dislike pvp. Anyone who tries this in a game I run would be booted. Anyone who tried this in a game I played with support from the gm would see me gone. Anyone who pulled this without consulting the gm would be gone.

So be prepared for out of character responses to something like this. It's a **** move, and not just from your character.

Slimshanks92
2018-01-03, 02:59 PM
Yay knowledge engineering!

Btw op, I tend to strongly dislike pvp. Anyone who tries this in a game I run would be booted. Anyone who tried this in a game I played with support from the gm would see me gone. Anyone who pulled this without consulting the gm would be gone.

So be prepared for out of character responses to something like this. It's a **** move, and not just from your character.

Don't worry, I know who I'm playing with, and they know me. I plan to consult the dm before the game even starts, and the other players are all good spirited, and would know how to handle it. (One of them was supposedly chaotic good in the last campaign and kept trying to PvP over stupid stuff, everyone else would be more amazed at my brilliance than mad)

Slimshanks92
2018-01-03, 03:01 PM

But then your pants, necklace, gloves, boots, rings, and cloak also weight half a car. You have to roll a nat 20 strength check to move a finger.

Pleh
2018-01-03, 10:20 PM

As a DM, I'd say, "so the weight snaps your back and crushes your head."

But then your pants, necklace, gloves, boots, rings, and cloak also weight half a car. You have to roll a nat 20 strength check to move a finger.

Nah. You need each item to have a different kind of curse, or it's just too easy.

Slimshanks92
2018-01-03, 11:18 PM
As a DM, I'd say, "so the weight snaps your back and crushes your head."

Nah. You need each item to have a different kind of curse, or it's just too easy.

True, I should probably have my bases covered and tailor everyone's cursed items to go against their weakest save, and at least one of them should be a field of silence so any casters in the area can't use their verbal spell components.