PDA

View Full Version : The gods say to kill you... (PrC)

SurlySeraph
2007-08-22, 10:08 PM
Entropic Templar
Entropic Templars are religious devotees who have gained a deep understanding of negative energy, both through study and through practical experience fighting with and against it. They are formidable fighters; Rangers often become entropic templars, since combat and wandering come naturally to them. Clerics of death gods are also likely to follow this path, though it reduces their spell-casting abilities. Some druids become entropic templars in the belief that life must be brought into balance with death, though this is not the belief of all druidic sects. Many entropic templars are evil, but certainly not all; even paladins sometimes become entropic templars, learning to use the purest forces of death and destruction to cut down those who threaten the innocent. Bards occasionally but rarely become entropic templars; few bards have enough religious dedication to devote their lives to killing in the name of their gods.

Requirements
To qualify to become an Entropic Templar, a character must fulfill the following criteria:

Base attack bonus
+6

Spellcasting
Must be able to cast Cure Light Wounds

Skills
Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 2 ranks

Proficiencies
Martial weapons proficiency

Special
Must have taken at least 20 points of negative energy damage or received at least 2 negative levels

Class Skills:
The Entropic Templar’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int) Heal (Wis), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Ride (Dex).

Skill points at each level
2+Int modifier

Class features
All of the following are class features of the Entropic Templar:

HD: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Channel Negative Energy|| |
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class|
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Drain Negative Energy|| |
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class|
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Rebuking Strike|| |
6th|+6|+5|+5|+2| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class|
7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Entropic Tunnel|| |
8th|+8|+6|+6|+2| |+1 level of existing spellcasting class|
9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Harmonious Unlife|| |
10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Invoke Reaper| +1 level of existing spellcasting class|[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Entropic Templars are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all types of armor.

Spells gained
The Entropic Templar adds the following spells to his spell list:
Negative Weapon (1st level)
Negative Burst Weapon (2nd level)
Vampiric Touch (3rd level)
Enervation (4th level)
Death Ward (4th level)
The Entropic Templar adds all Inflict Wounds spells to his list of spells (if he doesn’t have them already) at the same levels that he has the corresponding Cure Wounds spells. For example, a Paladin would gain Inflict Light Wounds as a first-level spell, while a Ranger would gain Inflict Light Wounds as a second-level spell.

Channel Negative Energy (Sp)
The entropic templar can channel negative energy into the area around him. As a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, he can deal 1d6 negative energy damage per class level to all creatures, including himself, in a ten-foot radius around him. The entropic templar can use this ability a number of times per day equal to twice his Wisdom modifier.

Drain Negative Energy (Sp)
The entropic templar learns to drain the negative energy that powers undead out of their bodies and return it to the Plane of Negative Energy. He can expend one of his uses of Channel Negative Energy to make a melee touch attack against an undead creature. If the touch attack hits, the undead creature takes 10 damage per entropic templar level. A 9th-level or higher entropic templar is healed of an amount of damage equal to the amount of damage which he dealt to the undead creature.

Rebuking Strike (Ex)
When the entropic templar hits an undead creature and would normally provoke a threat (e.g., rolling a 19 or 20 with a greatsword), the undead creature must make a Will save (DC 10 + entropic Templar’s class level + weapon’s critical modifier) or be under the entropic templar’s mental control for 5 rounds. The entropic templar must take a standard action to give orders to commanded undead creatures. Intelligent undead creatures may resist orders that are obviously harmful to themselves by making another Will save at the same DC.

Entropic Tunnel (Ex)
By expending one of his uses of Channel Negative Energy, the entropic templar can replicate either the spell Plane Shift or the spell Teleport by using negative energy to rip a hole through the very fabric of the planes. Because this ability is so destructive in nature and requires moving through a field of negative energy, all of the creatures moved by this ability take 5d6 negative energy damage and 5d6 force damage (DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid the force damage).

Harmonious Unlife (Ex)
The entropic templar is healed by both positive and negative energy. If he becomes an undead creature, he keeps his mental ability scores, his class levels, and his alignment, even if he is raised with a spell that creates unintelligent undead creatures. However, if the entropic templar is raised by a spell that creates undead creatures that have a level adjustment and/or racial hit dice, the entropic templar must trade in enough class levels that becoming the undead creatures does not change his ECL. If doing so would require him to trade the entropic templar to lose the Harmonious Unlife class ability, the spell fails.

Invoke Reaper (Sp)
Once per day, the entropic templar can summon an Entropic Reaper (from Libris Mortis) for 1d6 rounds as a free action. The Entropic Reaper differs from others of its kind in that it shares the alignment of the entropic templar who summoned it, and will not attack him or his allies.

Negative Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Entropic Templar 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Weapon touched
Duration: One min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The enchanted weapon deals 1d6 an extra negative energy damage on each hit. You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon such as an unarmed strike. A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

Negative Burst Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Entropic Templar 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Weapon touched
Duration: One min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The enchanted weapon deals 1d6 negative energy damage on each hit, plus an extra 1d10 points of negative energy damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add an extra 2d10 points of negative energy damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add an extra 3d10 points of negative energy damage. You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon such as an unarmed strike. A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

This is my first attempt at homebrewing a PrC. Is it balanced? Is there anything I can improve or should change? Is anything about it unclear? All feedback is appreciated.

JackMage666
2007-08-22, 10:50 PM
This has a very Paladin/Cleric of good feel to it. I'd make the a requiremnt - Any Good. Because, it's REALLY more powerful in the hands of an Evil character, especially one who's fully willing to raise himself (very cheaply), as an Undead Creature (skeletons are nice).

Some things...

Rebuking Strike (Ex)
When the entropic templar hits an undead creature and would normally provoke a threat (e.g., rolling a 19 or 20 with a greatsword), the undead creature must make a Will save (DC 10 + entropic Templar’s class level + weapon’s critical modifier) or be under the entropic templar’s mental control for 5 rounds. The entropic templar must take a standard action to give orders to commanded undead creatures.

Alright, seems good. What are the limitations? I mean, undead should ignore all things that are blatantly harmful (You, Vampire, walk into the sun), much like a Dominated Human. Also, you should point out what it acts like (Rebuke Undead or Control Undead are two good options). Just to clarify. I don't think the Undead should be forced to do obviously harmful things to themselves, as it makes it alot easier.

Harmonious Unlife (Ex)
The entropic templar is healed by both positive and negative energy. If he becomes an undead creature, he keeps his mental ability scores, his class levels, and his alignment, even if he is raised with a spell that creates unintelligent undead creature
Your heart means well, but in the hands of an evil player, this is pretty deadly. I mean, you just reduced the cost of Lichdom to 375 GP (the cost of a Black Onyx needed to ressurect a 15th level player as a Skelly). Sure they lose alot of good things, but overall it's much more cost effective (and no DM in their right mind would let a player become a Lich). Better yet, Animate Dead offers a mess of other choices for the player to become.
Like I said earlier, this is much easier limited by a class requirement of Any Good, since good characters don't become undead. I's just not something they do.
Also, a clause that if they ever turn from good, they lose their mental abilities, alignment, and so on, and just match others of their (new) kind.

Other than that, pretty nice.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-22, 11:20 PM
What are the limitations? I mean, undead should ignore all things that are blatantly harmful (You, Vampire, walk into the sun), much like a Dominated Human. Also, you should point out what it acts like (Rebuke Undead or Control Undead are two good options). Just to clarify. I don't think the Undead should be forced to do obviously harmful things to themselves, as it makes it alot easier.

I decided not to put any restrictions on what you can order the controlled undead to do, since Rebuke Undead doesn't put any specific limitations on what you can make a controlled undead creature do. I'll allow intelligent undead creatures another Will save at the same DC to resist doing anything that would harm themselves. Also, I'll limit the duration to 5rounds.

Your heart means well, but in the hands of an evil player, this is pretty deadly. I mean, you just reduced the cost of Lichdom to 375 GP (the cost of a Black Onyx needed to ressurect a 15th level player as a Skelly). Sure they lose alot of good things, but overall it's much more cost effective (and no DM in their right mind would let a player become a Lich). Better yet, Animate Dead offers a mess of other choices for the player to become.
Like I said earlier, this is much easier limited by a class requirement of Any Good, since good characters don't become undead. I's just not something they do.

Well, I intended this class to be a slightly better choice for evil characters (because if it seemed too oriented towards good characters, I was worried that I'd start up another of those periodic arguments over whether or not negative energy is evil). I don't think being able to become a skeleton or zombie with no penalties is that powerful, but you're right that it still needs to be balanced. I’ll give them turn vulnerability if they become undead (have them count as 4 levels lower for purposes of Turning or Rebuking) if they become undead, but I’m not sure if that’s the best way to balance it.

JackMage666
2007-08-22, 11:55 PM
Well, the whole "Undead with no penalties" thing might be a bit unbalancing, now that I think of it... Mainly because Create Greater Undead is available to players... And I certainly wouldn't want my players to run a Paladin of Tyranny/Entropic Templar who was turned into a Devourer, and still retains all his abilities (even at level 20, this is pretty tough).
Either way, a Paladin of Tyranny/Entropic Templar Mummy could be done by an ECL 15 party, as well... A bit unbalancing.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-23, 12:22 AM
Spellcasting
Must be able to cast Cure Light Wounds

Nitpick here, but did you mean inflict light wounds? Because if this guy is supposed to channel negative energy really well, then why have a positive energy spell as a prerequisite.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-23, 12:29 AM
^ Because that way only Clerics and Blackguards would be able to enter, and not Rangers, Paladins, Druids, and Bards. I mentioned in the Spells Gained section that they gain all Inflict Wounds spells at the appropriate levels, to represent learning to use negative energy. I put Cure Light Wounds as a prerequisite so that all divine casters could enter.

Fizban
2007-08-23, 12:41 AM
Well, also keep in mind that if they turn into some massively powerful undead, they will get a correspondingly massive LA, which means no more level gaining until they make up all that xp. I agree that it does need limits, as well as a more strict definition of what no penalties means.

An simple start is that they automatically trade class levels equal to the hit die gained. Then, you could make them lose the rest required to make up for their new LA. Then decide what happens if someone tries to raise them as something that they can't make up for (too many hit die for example), I personally like the idea of them just rising as a skeleton or zombie as appropriate, ex: necromancer tries to raise one as a vampire, but he doesn't have enough class levels to lose to offset the +8 LA and still keep the harmonious unlife ability, so he just rises as a zombie, but keeps his intelligence and etc. Or it could create a vampire spawn instead. Or the spell could just fail, or it could work and nullify the harmony ability.

Anyway, nice class. Simple, but effective. The only other thing I would change is the area of the channel ability: I'd make it a ten foot radius, or at least change it to stae "within fire feet of the character."The way it stands now you don't actually affect a whole square other than your own.

Edit: simu-posted, was in response to JackMage's post and the topic of thought.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-23, 01:02 AM
^ Thanks for pointing out that Channel Undead would only affect his own square, I'm fixing that.

Also, thanks a lot for the idea of trading in class levels. That's way more balanced than my idea of adding turn vulnerability. Thanks!

DracoDei
2007-08-23, 02:29 AM
Proficiency with all martial weapons doesn't seem to fit flavor wise...

SurlySeraph
2007-08-23, 01:14 PM
^ I required martial weapons proficiency a) because it's a combat-oriented class and b) to make it slightly harder for Clerics and Druids to join. Do you think I should remove it?