PDA

View Full Version : Is +prof to damage too much as a fighting style/feat?

Eric Diaz
2018-01-03, 03:56 PM
What it says on the title I'm homebrewing a new melee system for 5e to allow some combinations that seem lacking to me (sword+dagger, spear+shield, etc).

Each option cannot stack with itself, feats, or fighting styles.

But they are more or less like fighting styles you can apply to any weapon.

So far, I've got +2 to-hit, +1 to AC, and PAM stuff (OA someone that enters your reach as a reaction).

Instead of giving +2 to damage, I'm considering adding proficiency bonus.

Bear in mind that this will not stack with SS, GWM, TWF, etc.; it is a kind of replacement to all.

Is it too strong when compared to other fighting styles? Should it be limited to once per round?

(also please let me know if this is supposed to go in other sub-forum)

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-03, 04:00 PM
Given how monster HP balloon at higher CR, not likely to be a major issue. We have a current thread on the "Monsters being HP Bags in 5e (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22708218&postcount=1) .." that you may wish to visit for some insights.

Lombra
2018-01-03, 04:17 PM
Barbarians get something similar and only while raging, so I would say that it could be too much.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-03, 04:19 PM
Barbarians get something similar and only while raging, so I would say that it could be too much.

Dueling fighting style only gives +2 to damage, and has restrictions as well. So along with what Lombra said above, I'd agree that it's probably too much.

Nidgit
2018-01-03, 04:20 PM
It could potentially work as a once per turn sort of thing, but even then that treads on the Ranger capstone some.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-03, 04:22 PM
It could potentially work as a once per turn sort of thing, but even then that treads on the Ranger capstone some.

What doesn't tread on the Ranger capstone?

Eric Diaz
2018-01-03, 04:30 PM
Yeah, it seems like too much - although Rangers and Barbarians would get it too.

I was thinking of he damage boost in comparison to GWM/SS, but those are very powerful feats anyway, and +2 to-hit.

But probably just giving +2 to damage would be better and simpler. Maybe let it stack with fighting styles for the extra boost.

Thank you for the answers!

Unoriginal
2018-01-04, 07:14 AM
Goblin PCs get to add their level to damage once per long rest. I'd say in comparison, a feat that permanently add your proficiency is too much.

Vaz
2018-01-04, 11:21 AM
Depends. As with any homebrew, check with the DM, and be prepared to improve the rest of the party if you feel that other people are being overshadowed, or having their toes stepped on. Be aware of what the party want, and if they have any end goals out of the potential character builds.

Khrysaes
2018-01-04, 11:38 AM
Hexblade hex does this as one target for 1 minute once per short rest.

They get other stuff, so maybe add more uses for less stuff

GlenSmash!
2018-01-04, 01:41 PM
Half proficiency doesn't seem too bad to me.

Something I wouldn't take over an ASI at lower levels, but becomes more attractive at higher levels especially if I have maxed main stat.

Gardakan
2018-01-04, 01:54 PM
You can go Paladin if you want damage on your strikes.

You can go Fighter/Paladin and pick Rage + Fighting Style for + 2 damage each. This is + 4. Proficiency doesn't add to damage so far...

Homebrewing it is up to you. Anything can go.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-04, 02:07 PM
Eric, I have proposed in a couple of games that Fighters (ONLY!) be offered either a +1 per proficiency point (which we decided was too much) or {Proficiency divided by 2} as an armor class boost was another way to better reflect how a Fighter is an expert in fighting generally, which the other martials are not. The latter idea got some traction, but sadly that campaign died before we got very deep into it.

What this meant was that a first level fighter had a +1 to armor class that no other martial, and no other class, got. (At level 9 a +2, and at level 17 a +3). When you look at the to hit of High CR monsters, we felt that this would make the Fighter more appealing, particularly in a low magic campaign setting.

Your Mileage May Vary.