PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Kensai Monk

ZorroGames
2018-01-03, 06:02 PM
Maybe it is karma (“I will not be playing Elves in 5e”) or maybe the Reaper Monks for VSF games that are intentionally elvish or elvish looking but I am looking at playing a Wood Elf Kensai Mink. Sigh, long story that I will not embarrass myself by repeating...

So, Wood Elves have proficiency in long/short sword and short/long bow.

Kensai monks at third level can choose one melee and one missile weapon proficiency to be their “Monk Weapons.”

To avoid redundancy and add Dexterity based “Kensai Monk Weapons” I am looking at Rapier for melee and for missile... um,... maybe... I need some feedback here.

LCB and Heavy CB seem redundant with long/short bow. Hand CB really needs the CBE feat to shine. Probaly not taking feats until 19th if then... Sling? Dart? Blow Gun with a sleeping/paraysis/poison agent applied to the needle? Net is out (no special quality) so only 6 what I would call “thematic” choices.

Advice?

polymphus
2018-01-03, 06:19 PM
I think you're not understanding how Kensei works. Making a shortbow your kensei weapon is not redundant at all -- it's not proficiency, it's proficiency+. If you make one of your elf-proficient weapons a kensei wep, it'll use dex, scale with the martial arts table, allow unarmed bonus-action punches, and allow kensei abilities.

A kensei longsword is totally a viable thing. Regular longsword would use Str, couldn't be followed up by punches, couldn't be used to block with and couldn't have its damage pumped via kensei abilities.

lunaticfringe
2018-01-03, 06:24 PM
Blowgun is going to have the same problem as Crossbows (loading) without a feat to fix it. You don't have to pick more ranged later & as Poly said choosing Long/Shortbow isn't redundant.

ZorroGames
2018-01-03, 06:57 PM
I think you're not understanding how Kensei works. Making a shortbow your kensei weapon is not redundant at all -- it's not proficiency, it's proficiency+. If you make one of your elf-proficient weapons a kensei wep, it'll use dex, scale with the martial arts table, allow unarmed bonus-action punches, and allow kensei abilities.

A kensei longsword is totally a viable thing. Regular longsword would use Str, couldn't be followed up by punches, couldn't be used to block with and couldn't have its damage pumped via kensei abilities.

Reaper’s Tsuto Kaijitsu started the train of events that led to never considered before Kensai Monk (and Elf to boot, the shame...)

Thank you for the explanation.

strangebloke
2018-01-04, 01:18 PM

So upset that the Finesse Greatsword isn't a a thing anymore.

MrStabby
2018-01-04, 06:56 PM

I am sad that kensei doesn't support special weapons like nets and lances anymore.

Caelic
2018-01-04, 07:05 PM
I really want to like Kensai. I love the CONCEPT of Kensai; I love the original Oriental Adventures class.

For a Woof Elf monk, though, I honestly prefer Shadow--snipe at the enemy from over here, and if he gets close, shadow walk to a point sixty feet away and continue sniping.

Crgaston
2018-01-04, 07:23 PM

Charisma great sword (Hexblade) is a thing, but wouldn’t play nice with Kensei.

ZorroGames
2018-01-04, 07:33 PM
I really want to like Kensai. I love the CONCEPT of Kensai; I love the original Oriental Adventures class.

For a Woof Elf monk, though, I honestly prefer Shadow--snipe at the enemy from over here, and if he gets close, shadow walk to a point sixty feet away and continue sniping.

Sounds nice but not where I am going with build.

polymphus
2018-01-04, 08:08 PM
Reaper’s Tsuto Kaijitsu started the train of events that led to never considered before Kensai Monk (and Elf to boot, the shame...)
Not sure I follow what you're saying here. Is this an anime thing?

Spiderguy24
2018-01-04, 08:16 PM
Charisma great sword (Hexblade) is a thing, but wouldn’t play nice with Kensei.

I thought Hexblade couldn't work with the Great Sword due to it being a two-handed weapon?

prototype00
2018-01-04, 08:17 PM
I thought Hexblade couldn't work with the Great Sword due to it being a two-handed weapon?

Pact of the Blade makes Hex Warrior work with all Pact weapons.

Spiderguy24
2018-01-04, 08:21 PM
Pact of the Blade makes Hex Warrior work with all Pact weapons.

Ah, I forgot about that. But Kensei doesn't allow heavy weapons anyway, which sucks.

tatsuyashiba
2018-01-04, 10:31 PM
Whip is cool - 10 foot reach, and uses your martial arts damage die.

ZorroGames
2018-01-04, 10:33 PM
Not sure I follow what you're saying here. Is this an anime thing?

No, a Reaper Miniature in the mail that may destroy my image as a Mountain Dwarf player. But such a great elf Kensai looking miniature... and there is a long story that is involved but is classified “Nobody needs to know...”

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Elf%20monk/sku-down/60117

Gardakan
2018-01-04, 10:40 PM
Grab a shortbow and pew pew.