PDA

View Full Version : MC Ranger/Warlock?

Dr. Cliché
2018-01-03, 07:39 PM
I was initially going to suggest the idea of a Gloom Stalker taking some levels in Warlock to get Devil's Sight and Darkness . . . then I realised that Umbral Sight wouldn't work with Darkness anyway (since Darkvision can't see through it). :smalleek:

However, I'm still curious as to whether there's any merit in mixing these two classes? It would be a bit MAD, though a Hexblade could alleviate this to some degree.

I ask because I kinda like the idea of an Eldritch Archer, and I'm interested as to whether it would work in practise.

Any thoughts?

SkylarkR6
2018-01-03, 07:50 PM
I was also aving trouble seeing the synergy to be honest. Devils sight kinda negates umbral sight, wisdom proficiency isn't bad. You might be able to do some fun things with horizon walker/hexblade though.

Dr. Cliché
2018-01-03, 08:25 PM
I was also aving trouble seeing the synergy to be honest. Devils sight kinda negates umbral sight, wisdom proficiency isn't bad. You might be able to do some fun things with horizon walker/hexblade though.

Yeah, I realised Devil's Sight/Darkness wouldn't be much use.

I was wondering about other possibilities.

What did you have in mind with Horizon Walker?

SkylarkR6
2018-01-03, 08:51 PM
Mid range skirmisher. All the hexes and also bonus planar warrior for when resistances need to go to hell. Nice bonus spells in HW. Extra damage when/if you choose to smite. Short rest spell slots. Not terrible. Might work better as a melee though. In fact... I need to go roll something up. Excuse me

MrStabby
2018-01-03, 09:24 PM
I too have been thinking about this multiclass.

Ranger opens up some interesting melee bonuses and hexblade helps limit the MADness. The warlock and half caster should work well together - the warlock providing some slots for great ranger spells.

I was thinking to take hexblade to 5, ranger to 4 then consider adding in either kensei monk (If I use something like a great weapon) rogue (if I want a finesse weapon).

It is also currently vying with a dwarf cleric hexblade build i have in mind.

Crgaston
2018-01-04, 12:14 AM
I too have been thinking about this multiclass.

Ranger opens up some interesting melee bonuses and hexblade helps limit the MADness. The warlock and half caster should work well together - the warlock providing some slots for great ranger spells.

I was thinking to take hexblade to 5, ranger to 4 then consider adding in either kensei monk (If I use something like a great weapon) rogue (if I want a finesse weapon).

It is also currently vying with a dwarf cleric hexblade build i have in mind.
Sadly, kensei doesn’t work on weapons with the “heavy” property.

It does work on a versatile weapon, though, so you could have d10 with a long sword, war hammer or battle axe.

MrStabby
2018-01-04, 05:31 AM
Ah, good point on the kensei.

Given that much of the attraction of monk was the extra mobility I think rogue might be a nice next step.

I find bonus action dash to be almost as good as action surge at the start of fights against ranged enemies.

solidork
2018-01-04, 09:42 AM
I tried building one of my character's ancestors who was a Ranger/Warlock and I couldn't really get it to work to my liking with point buy. I was working with a lot of handicaps though, since he needed to use a greatsword for reasons and I picked a re-fluffed Raven Queen for his patron (it was The Huntsman, an unseelie fey lord of a wintry domain).

He was never going to be a damage powerhouse, but he had a lot of utility and I think he could effectively play his role as a sort of trickster type character.