PDA

View Full Version : Names for Wizard Groups

8BitNinja
2018-01-03, 10:17 PM
So for some worldbuilding for the RPG I'm making with my brother (who is known here as Green Elf), part of the world's past and one of the central parts of the history and even a messiah figure for one of the religions is a time when wizards ruled the entirety of the world. The nobility, including the upper class members of the military, were taught magic, and it was used to lord over the mundane folk. There aren't really any exceptions, since in this world magic is inherently corrupting and evil. I was thinking that a part of it, there would be different groups within the societal structure that would focus on different magic for different functions.

So far I have this

High Wizards: Kings and Lords only, would focus mainly on learning powerful rituals that would take long amounts of time to cast. They only join battle of any kind when it needs a quick finish, and when they do, they are in a safe location and surrounded by soldiers.

Battlemages: Social equivalent of knights. They focus on combat based spells that are quick to cast. They are assembled into orders like knights.

Nightblades: Secret police and spies. They focus on mind control, illusion, and scrying magic to uproot insurgencies and target dissidents.

Any other ideas? I can provide any other lore if needed.

RazorChain
2018-01-03, 10:26 PM
Ordo Vigiles: Order of the watchmen, the city firefighters should contain wizards as cities had the bad tendency to burn down

Witch hunters/ mage hunters: To hunt down renegade mages and criminals

Dread Knights: The magical cavaliers

The Magisters: the bureaucratic elite

theCourier
2018-01-03, 10:55 PM
The Mages Association, or.

The Alliance of Magicians... they demand to be taken seriously.

Vitruviansquid
2018-01-03, 11:20 PM
Warlocks - Renegade wizards who have left or been exiled from the traditional power structure for one reason or another. When warlocks band together for one reason or another, it is called a "coven."

Tinkerer
2018-01-04, 06:38 PM
Row Walkers - They are in charge of agriculture and rural peasantry. May not sound terribly intimidating however bear in mind the following. They lord over the most vulnerable of the citizens as a farmhouse has minimal defenses. They are in charge in the most remote of locations which one will notice is normally where artifacts of power are recovered from. They control the nation's food supply. As most of their time is spent in isolation it is where the courts often send the most anti-social and cruel of the mages.

They tend to specialize in travel spells, curses, weather control, and some specialize in servant creation.

Vogie
2018-01-05, 11:00 AM
Oracles - divination magic, but only able to forecast the future, and limited in range to their local geography. Typically there's only a handful overall, and are part of local government for planning purposes. A major city might have 5 - the average town will have one.

"Low" wizards or Hedge Wizards - They have various names, but these magical individuals are the ones on the frontiers and in smaller towns. Their magic is primarily utility-based, with a handful of spells for the law-enforcement side of things. They may travel/patrol between small towns or villages, or stick to just one town. They include:

Wardens - specializes in mitigation of large events, such as natural disasters or important cross-jurisdictional matters. Think the FBI and FEMA rolled into one.
Marshals - those with the ability to take over an area for a common purpose for a brief period of time. Closest analog would be the National Guard and the, well, Marshal Service.
Executors - Versatile Special operations wizards who aren't often used, but have incredibly high authority when they are. Closest analog would be a SEAL Team.
Arbiters - These are the Diplomats, mediators, and arbitration. Able to make contracts magically binding,
Hieromancers - Catchall term for practioners of law magic, the name is more commonly used for those who process civil matters - lawyers, clerks, and regulators - rather than criminal matters

8BitNinja
2018-01-08, 09:30 PM
Even if this thread doesn't continue, I'd like to thank everyone for all the ideas you gave me.

Thanks guys.

ATHATH
2018-01-08, 11:02 PM
Tunnel Snakes: They rule small city-states by using utility, illusion, and enchantment spells.

Nifft
2018-01-09, 04:22 AM
Portmanteau - "movement-word" - a mage skilled at teleportation and travel magic.

Malaprop - "bad-support" - a mage skilled at hexing or neutralizing enemy gear, or one who has created many cursed items.

Metaphor - "beyond-bearer" - a mage skilled at force effects, or one who uses magic to replace laborers & servants.

Paragraph - "supernatural-visualist" - a mage skilled at visual illusions and illustrations.

Lazymancer
2018-01-12, 10:50 AM
Any other ideas? I can provide any other lore if needed.
The most dreaded of all **drumroll** ... Tax Collectors.

They know how much everyone owes.
They will take it.
And none will stop them.

Tax your dragons today!

Black Knight 2k
2018-02-01, 03:51 PM
Grand Singers: Wizards that have woven their long incantations into powerful rythmic songs. Not really bards, more like people who sing in a choir and a nearby village blows up.

LibraryOgre
2018-02-01, 08:27 PM
Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors

khadgar567
2018-02-06, 04:39 AM
How about esorerica for groups name. As they powered up by great old one.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-02-06, 05:15 AM
The Transcendent Conclave.

Misereor
2018-02-06, 05:54 AM
Thaumaturges of the Seaboard.