PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Permanencied Blizzard

RFLS
2018-01-03, 11:20 PM
A friend and I have been kicking this problem around for a few years now - is there a way to permanency the spell Blizzard, centered on yourself? All official 3.5 rules are on the table.

Edit: Pathfinder materials are also on the table.

Double edit: The last stipulation was that it not be done with a magic item. Using a magic item to enable/enhance it is fine, though.

Crake
2018-01-04, 01:31 AM
If you're allowing epic, then you could probably achieve it via the epic feat permanent emanation

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-04, 01:39 AM
Find or plant an oak tree on a plane that's timeless in regards to magic, such as a genesis demiplane or the Astral Plane, and cast acorn of far travel. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) All spells on you (including the acorn) are now permanent unless you lose the acorn or are dispelled. Even the latter isn't an issue if it's done via a Supernatural ability.

RFLS
2018-01-04, 10:22 AM
Find or plant an oak tree on a plane that's timeless in regards to magic, such as a genesis demiplane or the Astral Plane, and cast acorn of far travel. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) All spells on you (including the acorn) are now permanent unless you lose the acorn or are dispelled. Even the latter isn't an issue if it's done via a Supernatural ability.

I'm sorry, I'm just not following how it makes spells permanent. Can you spell it out?

Crake
2018-01-04, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry, I'm just not following how it makes spells permanent. Can you spell it out?

This is his logic, I do not necessarily agree with it, but here we go:

Acorn of far travel makes you count as standing under the tree from which you took the acorn from. Because the tree is on a plane that is timless with regards to magic, you are also counted as being timeless with regard to magic. If you're timeless with regards to magic, any spell with a duration is counted as having a duration of permanent.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-04, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry, I'm just not following how it makes spells permanent. Can you spell it out?While you possess the acorn from the acorn of far travel spell, you count as standing/sitting/laying/floating under the tree the acorn came from. If the tree is on a magically timeless plane, that means that you count as being on that plane, meaning that all of the spell effects on your person (including the acorn of far travel spell itself) last forever.

After actually looking up the blizzard spell itself, I think I was taking the wrong tack. You'd need to find a way to change the Target of the spell to include yourself, so the above by itself won't work. However, you could combine the above with a (un)hallow spell, targeted on a graft that is then grafted on you. Use blizzard as the spell attached to the (un)hallow, which then becomes Permanent with the timeless plane acorn.

[edit]
This is his logic, I do not necessarily agree with it, but here we go:

Acorn of far travel makes you count as standing under the tree from which you took the acorn from. Because the tree is on a plane that is timless with regards to magic, you are also counted as being timeless with regard to magic. If you're timeless with regards to magic, any spell with a duration is counted as having a duration of permanent.Partially ninja'd.

Twurps
2018-01-08, 05:55 PM
While you possess the acorn from the acorn of far travel spell, you count as standing/sitting/laying/floating under the tree the acorn came from. If the tree is on a magically timeless plane, that means that you count as being on that plane, meaning that all of the spell effects on your person (including the acorn of far travel spell itself) last forever.

[edit]Partially ninja'd.

Wow. That's so far off of even the most favourable RAW reading I won't even debate it. It would totaly fly at my table though:

Player(under above mentioned spell influence): "I hit the enemy with my Ray/Orb/SoD/Sword/etc."
DM: "You can't: you're out of range"
Player: "I'm standing right next to him!"
DM: "you're considered to be under a tree which is nowhere in sight, on another plane. You're out of range."

good times.... :)

Goaty14
2018-01-08, 07:47 PM
Use blizzard as the spell attached to the (un)hallow, which then becomes Permanent with the timeless plane acorn.

Blizzard is not one of the spells that is able to be attached to (un)Hallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) without some sort of houserule for non-core spells.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-01-08, 07:51 PM
Wow. That's so far off of even the most favourable RAW reading I won't even debate it. It would totaly fly at my table though:

Player(under above mentioned spell influence): "I hit the enemy with my Ray/Orb/SoD/Sword/etc."
DM: "You can't: you're out of range"
Player: "I'm standing right next to him!"
DM: "you're considered to be under a tree which is nowhere in sight, on another plane. You're out of range."

good times.... :)You are standing right there, but you also count as standing under the tree. It's not the only effect that allows you to be in multiple places at once; for instance, astral projection.

Blizzard is not one of the spells that is able to be attached to (un)Hallow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) without some sort of houserule for non-core spells.It includes the listed spells, but it doesn't exclude others.

Spell effects that may be tied to a hallowed site include...Note that that is not a comprehensive list.