PDA

View Full Version : Reshar, Lord of the Nine Swords [Vestige]

The Demented One
2007-08-23, 01:20 AM
Reshar, Lord of the Nine Swords
Reshar is a legendary martial adept, the first to unify and master all nine disciplines of the Sublime Way, and the founder of the ancient Temple of the Nine Swords.

Vestige Level
8th

Binding DC

Legend
Reshar is the most legendary of martial adepts, an ancient hero whose renown and prestige are immeasurable. In his youth, he did what no other swordsman had ever done. After three years of training and wandering, he successfully mastered the nine martial disciplines that comprise the Sublime Way. In the Sunspire Mountains, he founded the Temple of the Nine Swords, the world’s greatest center of martial training and study. In time, hundreds came to the Temple to pursue the Sublime Way under the mentorship of Reshar and his disciples.

In time, Reshar left the Temple of the Nine Swords to pursue his own wanderings, leaving his nine disciples in his place, and entrusting each with one of the legendary nine swords that gave the temple its name. Though the Temple would soon fall by the betrayal of a insidious Rakshasa lord, the legend of Reshar and his mastery of the Sublime Way would endure forever.

No one knows what happened to Reshar after he left the Temple, but he has somehow become a vestige, a formless spirit trapped between worlds. Some believe the warrior attempted a bid for godhood and failed, and was reduced to a vestige by his failure. Others believe that Reshar’s transformation into a vestige was a result of his transcending the flesh, shedding his material form to become an enlightened being of pure spirit. Others believe the fall of the Temple of the Nine Swords pulled his soul from its rest in the afterlife, wracking it in spiritual agony until it was transformed into a vestige.

Manifestation
As Reshar’s seal is drawn, nine floating swords appear within it, and trace out an elaborate portal in brilliant lines of light. Through this portal steps Reshar, in the form of a young man, but with silver hair, and eyes marked by great age. However, on closer examination, his body is revealed to be formed from thousands of small, overlapping blades, dripping with blood. He speaks to the Binder in a detached, disinterested voice.

Sign
Your hair turns pure silver, and your eyes burn with silver fire.

Influence
Reshar drives all those bound to him to battle. Once bound to Reshar, one cannot withdraw from battle, or refuse any challenge of strength or skill. In addition, Reshar favors strength and skill of the sword above all else–those bound to him cannot cast spells, use psionics, or use similar supernatural abilities. In addition, you cannot use any supernatural abilities granted by any vestiges other than Reshar.

Granted Abilities
Reshar grants those bound to him mastery of the martial arts, granting them techniques, stances, and tactics from each discipline of the Sublime Way.

Martial Aptitude (Ex)
While bound to Reshar, you gain proficiency with all martial weapons.

Master of the Nine (Ex and Su)
Upon binding to Reshar, you gain the ability to use one martial maneuver from each discipline. Your initiator level for these maneuvers is equal to your Binder level plus one-half your other class maneuvers. You can use each maneuver only once per encounter–once you have used it, you cannot recover it. The maneuvers you gain access to are bloodletting strike, daunting strike, elder mountain hammer, flanking maneuver, iron heart focus, lingering inferno, pouncing charge, rapid counter, and soaring throw

Reshar’s Supremacy (Ex)
You gain a +2 bonus to Strength and Constitution. In addition, you gain a +3 bonus on all Balance, Concentration, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Sense Motive, and Tumble checks.

Stance of the Warrior (Ex or Su)
Upon binding to Reshar, you may choose any martial stance of 5th level or lower. You gain the benefits of that stance for as long as you are bound to Reshar.

The Demented One
2007-08-23, 11:24 AM
We are out of milk! Clearly this means that the gods want me to bump this thread!

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-08-23, 11:35 AM
That looks very cool, I have to say. The only thing that I am a little shaky on is the +2 to all ability scores plus an ehancement to skill checks. Perhaps allowing a couple of the weaker martial maneuvers instead would fit better with the vestige. :smallbiggrin:

The Demented One
2007-08-23, 11:41 AM
That looks very cool, I have to say. The only thing that I am a little shaky on is the +2 to all ability scores plus an ehancement to skill checks. Perhaps allowing a couple of the weaker martial maneuvers instead would fit better with the vestige. :smallbiggrin:
I'll note that this guy is an 8th level vestige, which is the highest level out there. I think the +2 to all stats and skill bonuses are pretty much in line.

Zeful
2007-08-23, 02:58 PM
I'll note that this guy is an 8th level vestige, which is the highest level out there. I think the +2 to all stats and skill bonuses are pretty much in line.

I don't think so. A +2 bonus to all stats equals the following benefits

+1 to attack and damage with melee weapons, and Str skills
+1 to Ac, Ref saves, and ranged attack bonus, and Ref Skills
+1 to Hp per level, Fort saves and Concentration
+1 to save Dcs for any wizard spell, and Int skills
+1 to save Dcs for any divine spell, and Wis skills
+1 to save Dcs for any Sor/Bard spells, and Cha skills
the two 8th level vesiges don't give out any bonuses and all ability bonuses cap a +4 to one as Eligor a 7th level vestige gives only a +4 to strength amongst other benefits. Halaphax (8th level) gives a +16 competence bonus to two accociated and moderatly useful skills, you give a +5 bonus to eight skills of greater use. Also few vestiges give spells or spell like abilities. Most of all binders are going to bind this vestige, because of it's insane generalisation.

Now if it gave only three manuvers of the nine, gave a +2 to two ability scores, and a +4 to Tumble and Balance it'd be much more in line with most other eighth level.

The Demented One
2007-08-23, 03:14 PM
In response to the comments, I've changed the ability bonus to a +2 to Strength and Constitution, lowered the skill bonus to +3, and bumped down the level of the maneuvers granted. Better?

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-23, 03:45 PM
I think it looks pretty good. Definitely a great one for an already martially oriented binder, or one who's already bound a vestige that grants other martial abilities, not the least of which would be martial weapon proficiency.

The Demented One
2007-08-23, 03:54 PM
I think it looks pretty good. Definitely a great one for an already martially oriented binder, or one who's already bound a vestige that grants other martial abilities, not the least of which would be martial weapon proficiency.
Ooh, good point.

martyboy74
2007-08-23, 04:22 PM
In influence, you say that Reshar favors "strength and skill of the sword above all else". What about the Half-Giant's racial Stomp ability? Would that be useable? Or does that become unadjudicable territory?

The Demented One
2007-08-23, 05:27 PM
In influence, you say that Reshar favors "strength and skill of the sword above all else". What about the Half-Giant's racial Stomp ability? Would that be useable? Or does that become adjudicable territory?
I'd say no. To spell it out in full, you get no spells, no spell-like abilities, no powers, no psi-like abilities, no invocations, no infusions, no mysteries, no utterances, no soulmelds, and no anything else that I forgot.