PDA

View Full Version : Mc kensei/revised beastmaster level split

Khrysaes
2018-01-04, 11:46 AM
Based on the breaking revised bm and the best possible dual wielded threads, I want to make a small race mounted character, and was wondering optimal level splits?.

Beastmaster companion says it increases based on level but doesn't specify ranger level. A kensei can use a lance or 2, with dex.

I was thinking 12 ranger 8 monk. Starting with ranger and then entering monk.

What would optimize this combo, and is there something else that may be better?

Ps. I hate phone autocorrect.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-04, 12:08 PM
Thank you for reading my thread.

Before someone else says it, I'd like to point out that UA material is not intended for multiclassing. Someone always mentions this when discussing MC UA builds.

With that in mind, I recommend BM 6 before you multiclass. Greater Favored Enemy is a big deal and significantly affects how the class plays. From level 6 onward, the revised ranger features are significantly less interesting, although beast conclave 11 is quite interesting on a wolf (AoE save or prone). Meanwhile, Monk first starts to become interesting at level 5 with its stunning strike.

Deox
2018-01-04, 12:52 PM
I also read the Breaking BM thread and found it very interesting. I used some of the information to play a small mounted ranger (halfling on panther).

To echo Easy, the character mechanically played very well until level 6. Afterward, the class (to me) tapered off and was less than desirable with their features. I would also suggest going BM 6 before looking outside.

Additionally, I also played (although briefly) an 11th level BM with a wolf companion. An extra ability to force a save reliably was great.

BobZan
2018-01-04, 01:00 PM
I thought on a Gloom Stalker / Kensei build a while ago, and it rounded around RRanger 6-8 before going Monk.

RRanger 6 gives Favored Enemy, Lv 7 Wisdom prof and lv 8 ASI. After that Monk will bring more martial bonuses as you level, improving your already strong RRanger.