PDA

View Full Version : Utility belt

Doomboy911
2018-01-04, 12:19 PM
Playing in a campaign not overly fond of the system and it's lack of tools so I wanted to get help in building a basic utility belt for my character.

I'm after simple things like bag of sand to throw in people's eyes and such. Any suggestions?

GlenSmash!
2018-01-04, 12:22 PM
Pepper to make people sneeze.

Standard stuff like Caltrops, alchemist fire, flask of acid etc.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-04, 12:22 PM
Caltrops and ball bearings.

Then run away from anything stronger than a hobgoblin.

Ventruenox
2018-01-04, 12:50 PM
There are a couple of threads for creative uses of mundane equipment that you may want to look up. Xanathars also has some useful information on tool proficiencies.

I would add chalk to the list. It is cheap, lightweight, and can be used in many ways. Aside from marking walls, you can crush it up and you have a powder for several applications (DM rulings needed). Blow it in faces of enemies, help with athletics checks for a better grip, give away the position of invisible foes (on ground to show footsteps or on the foe itself).

ImproperJustice
2018-01-04, 12:51 PM
Flour: it sticks, blinds and can potentially interfere with invisible targets.

Thieves tools (obviously)

Grease or Oil

A Pennywhistle

A firestarter

Antitoxins

A few utility potions (works great with a Thief’s cunning action)

Some basic posion (again, works well of you are a theif)

Caltrops, and ball bearings

Small stones to throw as distractions

A few spare pieces of jerky for distracting guard animals. Some animal scent could help here as well with a nature/survival check

Climbing claws

A small metal tube and/or funnel
(Emergency breathing tube and to help oil locks and hinges to make a more silent entry).

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-04, 12:58 PM
Flour: it sticks, blinds and can potentially interfere with invisible targets.

A flour/air mixture is also highly flammable, potentially explosive.

Gardakan
2018-01-04, 01:21 PM
Buy some glass, reduce it to shards in a small bag.

You have some way to try to blind an enemy (it worked twice in Adventurer's League as a player so far with two different GMs).

+ I needed sand to cast sleep with my component pouch, which is the utility belt of most casters. Buy a component pouch, it's on the belt if you want. A component pouch for casters is a must I mean, I intend to cast Revivify at range with this Divine Soul, so having Diamonds in the pocket is useful.

This is utility.

FirstBornSon
2018-01-04, 01:37 PM
Mirror to look behind corners.

nickl_2000
2018-01-04, 01:41 PM
Caulk to mark the floor/walls in a dungeon/cave system to make sure you don't get lost.

Doomboy911
2018-01-04, 03:06 PM
Alright so now that I have a moment to provide context I will be playing a bard who no longer wishes to tell stories of great heroes he wishes to be the great hero. Rather than being a grand knight he intends to be more a folk hero like robin hood donning a disguise to hide his identity and using magic to make his abilities more miraculous (it's a low magic setting so something like silent image to appear invulnerable or feather fall for the illusion of flight should come across as miraculous)

A lot of this is quite handy what do folks think of the name "Silver Phoenix"