PDA

View Full Version : What is dragon meat good for?

BloodOgre
2018-01-04, 12:46 PM
Our party managed to take out a black dragon wyrmling rather quickly (two PCs critted on their first hits before the dragon had a chance to attack - wish I had my "that was easy" button). So we took the body back to town to the taxidermist and butcher. We now have a stuffed black dragon in our common room, but what about the meat. Is dragon meat any good? Can we have it butchered like a side of beef? Some nice dragon steaks, pot roasts, dragon burgers and dragon jerky? Will it be more or less nutritious that other meats? Is it magical? As this is an Adventurer's League campaign, we weren't allowed to sell off the dragon scales for their magical properties. And how do we determine how much meat we get from the dragon?

jollydm
2018-01-04, 01:02 PM
I mean, whether or not you "can" do any of those things are questions the DM would need to answer...in terms of how it might "taste", would probably depend on the type of the dragon. In a game I ran last year at one point the party encountered and slew a hydra, which the barbarian butchered and wanted to eat. I decided they tasted like slightly acidic pork chops.

In terms of how much meat it generated, depending on the age/size of the dragon, I guess you could try find a real world animal of a comparable size and find how much they typically weigh.

Unoriginal
2018-01-04, 01:03 PM
Just to know: you do realize that dragons are sapient beings, right?

ZorroGames
2018-01-04, 01:06 PM
Just to know: you do realize that dragons are sapient beings, right?

Here we go again... cannibalism is same species in our world, YWMV.

Vaz
2018-01-04, 01:07 PM
As a medium creature, it is in the same size cateogry as something like a Mountain goat, boar, deer, or panther. As the boar is a little excessive in its bulk compared to the others, and black dragons are fairly catlike, I'd use a panther as an example. They weigh about 400lbs, but there is understandably little info on the eating of big cat meat, and how appropriate that is for a scale armoured, flying creature breathing acid is questionable.

Given its breath, and that it is a carnivore in a swamp usually, it isnt likely to have nice tasting food, but prestidigitation takes care of that.

You could twist its intestines to make a stringed instrument. Make some acid house? I'll show myself out.

You could possibly use it to create a fantastical bow: but that make take the sinew, and bones, meaning no more baby statue. Which is arguably not something you'd especially want lying about if big momma comes knocking, but then again carrying a weaponised trophy of somethings dead baby isn't particularly wise either. A Magical Bow which deals 1d4 acid damage on a hit seems like a decent enough reward at low level.

The trick is that there isn't much use for meat beside eating but there are numerous byproducts that can be made from things like fatty acids, which are involved in explosives. Making an explosives out of dead dragons to deal reduced fire/bludgeoning damage, but leave noxious clouds of acid may be a use.

Warning nsfw/l link, shows a skinned hanging sheep carcass
http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/ansc442/semprojs/2004/uses/meat.htm

Arkhios
2018-01-04, 01:08 PM
For some really high-class barbeque? :smallbiggrin:

Easy_Lee
2018-01-04, 01:12 PM
Don't forget the scales. It's classic to make scale armor of resistance: [type] from dragon scales.

For the meat, here's a simple formula: make a survival check to see how much of the creature you can salvage for food.

Below 10: 25% weight
10-15: 50% weight
16+: 75% weight

Bodies are mostly water, and rations are made of dried meat and other compact foods. Figure that you divide the final poundage by two to get the poundage in rations.

This grossly simplifies things. In reality, a lot more weight is lost when you take an animal's total weight, then field dress, then butcher, then dehydrate. And some animals yield a larger portion of meat than others (most modern livestock is bred for this purpose to the point that the chickens can't even function as animals and spend their entire lives in a cage). But this should be easy enough to use in a game.

LordEntrails
2018-01-04, 01:13 PM
This might have something useful for you. It's new on the Guild; http://www.dmsguild.com/product/229770/From-Dungeon-to-Dinner

FirstBornSon
2018-01-04, 01:20 PM
Are black dragon wyrmlins immune to fire? If it is i dont know if you could grill or boil its meat. Maybe turn them in to sausage and just smoke them.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-04, 01:22 PM
Well Monitor lizards taste kind of like Chicken and you can fry it. I imagine some fried dragon would taste pretty good.

As to the morality of eating dragon meet...

I mean he would have ate you, and you’re sapient.
At this point it be disrespectful to waste the good meat.
Lizardfolk eat people all the time, they say it’s great.

For those scales though you could make some really fashionable black leather boots.

Unoriginal
2018-01-04, 01:22 PM
Here we go again... cannibalism is same species in our world, YWMV.

Oh, I'm not saying it's doubleplusnogood to eat dragons. Even the metallic dragons eat sapient beings, after all.

Just wanted to make sure OP knew.

ZorroGames
2018-01-04, 01:32 PM
Oh, I'm not saying it's doubleplusnogood to eat dragons. Even the metallic dragons eat sapient beings, after all.

Just wanted to make sure OP knew.

Okay, I withdraw my unseen eyeroll. 😉

Selling or serving exotic meat to the public might start rumors that you might not want floating around to reach the wrong ears though.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-04, 01:32 PM
For my game, dragons are intrinsically magical creatures.

Eating one would have consequences. Eating the heart (and/or brain) might put the wyrmling's psyche into your mind like a split personality. Jsut the meaty bits might cause you to take on some black dragon personality characteristics.

Also other Dragons you encounter would know that you have partaking of their kinds flesh. Even Metallic dragons would find this displeasing (Dragons are after all very arrogant and would not accept logical arguments about humanoids they might have eaten).

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-04, 02:14 PM
Maybe turn them in to sausage and just smoke them. First rub them with dry spices, it will improve the flavor. (Also, use oak, cherry, hickory, or pecan wood ...)

For my game, dragons are intrinsically magical creatures.
{snip}
Also other Dragons you encounter would know that you have partaking of their kinds flesh. How?

2D8HP
2018-01-04, 02:24 PM
...Is dragon meat any good? .
My understanding is that Dragon meat is a key ingredient in a hot dish paradoxically called "chilly" in the Land of Tejas.

hymer
2018-01-04, 03:01 PM
Don't eat black dragon. They are immune to acid, and will end up a huge lump in your stomach that won't digest. You could die if you don't vomit it up.
Also, I'm sure they taste dreadful, what with being swamp predators and all.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-04, 03:45 PM
First rub them with dry spices, it will improve the flavor. (Also, use oak, cherry, hickory, or pecan wood ...)
How?

Smell.

The flesh of the inherently magical dragon causes physical changes in the devourer. Other beings with sensitive senses could detect the change, but dragon's would recognize what it is instantly.

Temperjoke
2018-01-04, 03:52 PM
First rub them with dry spices, it will improve the flavor. (Also, use oak, cherry, hickory, or pecan wood ...)
How?

MM p. 103: "Good dragons can recognize human bloodlines by smell, sniffing out each person they meet and remembering any relatives they have come into contact with over the years."

If they can smell bloodlines, there's a reasonable risk that they would be able to tell if a person consumed dragon flesh. And it's also reasonable that all dragons would have such an ability, not just good dragons.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-04, 03:55 PM
MM p. 103: "Good dragons can recognize human bloodlines by smell, sniffing out each person they meet and remembering any relatives they have come into contact with over the years."

If they can smell bloodlines, there's a reasonable risk that they would be able to tell if a person consumed dragon flesh. And it's also reasonable that all dragons would have such an ability, not just good dragons.

Woah. You just backed up my random thought with actual game text.

I'm a little bit in awe.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-04, 04:00 PM
Smell.

The flesh of the inherently magical dragon causes physical changes in the devourer. Other beings with sensitive senses could detect the change, but dragon's would recognize what it is instantly.

If they can smell bloodlines, there's a reasonable risk that they would be able to tell if a person consumed dragon flesh. And it's also reasonable that all dragons would have such an ability, not just good dragons. Cool, good answers.

Don't eat black dragon. They are immune to acid, and will end up a huge lump in your stomach that won't digest. You could die if you don't vomit it up. Also, I'm sure they taste dreadful, what with being swamp predators and all.
Not so much. When you cook stuff, you change it. You break down and change some of its chemical composition. (See the potato for a classic example, or an onion). On the taste front, though, I suspect that you are right ... but I've eaten alligator in Singapore that tasted pretty good. Swamp dweller as well.
Secret: it's all in the marinade. :smallwink:

My understanding is that Dragon meat is a key ingredient in a hot dish paradoxically called "chilly" in the Land of Tejas. Usually it's rattlesnake where we are, but I've heard that folks in East Texas have eaten plenty of gator, which is a close enough kin to dragon. Been a long time since I ate rattlesnake, and I never made chili out of it. Hmmm, let's put that on the list for a future cooking session.

Joe the Rat
2018-01-04, 04:21 PM
Last AL session I was in, we had a feller with a white dragon wyrmling skull as a shoulderguard. skulls and hides make a statement.

Gator and large lizards are a fair parallel for dragons, particularly for swamp-and-brack dwelling black dragons. Think tough and gamey - like a fishy chicken. Probably has a vinegary or citrusy note to the flesh as well. The real difficulty is in the immunity to marinades - breaking down the connective tissues is probably going to have to be done the old-fashioned way.

I'm seeing a low-and-slow barbecue, a roast, or a stew. You might try frying small cuts, breaded or no, and serve with a seasoned cream for dipping.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-04, 04:23 PM
I'm seeing a low-and-slow barbecue, a roast, or a stew. yeah, good plan.

Temperjoke
2018-01-04, 04:27 PM
Last AL session I was in, we had a feller with a white dragon wyrmling skull as a shoulderguard. skulls and hides make a statement.

Gator and large lizards are a fair parallel for dragons, particularly for swamp-and-brack dwelling black dragons. Think tough and gamey - like a fishy chicken. Probably has a vinegary or citrusy note to the flesh as well. The real difficulty is in the immunity to marinades - breaking down the connective tissues is probably going to have to be done the old-fashioned way.

I'm seeing a low-and-slow barbecue, a roast, or a stew. You might try frying small cuts, breaded or no, and serve with a seasoned cream for dipping.

Has anyone homebrewed a Chef class or subclass yet?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-04, 04:28 PM
Has anyone homebrewed a Chef class or subclass yet?

Nah man you just need expertise with cooking skills and the cooking feat from the weapons and tools feats UA

Temperjoke
2018-01-04, 04:32 PM
Nah man you just need expertise with cooking skills and the cooking feat from the weapons and tools feats UA

See, that's the entry level. I'm talking about the truly powerful chef, just like the criminal background compared to a rogue, or an acolyte compared to cleric. :smallbiggrin:

MxKit
2018-01-04, 04:45 PM
See, that's the entry level. I'm talking about the truly powerful chef, just like the criminal background compared to a rogue, or an acolyte compared to cleric. :smallbiggrin:

Now I'm feeling like someone should make a Cook background and a Gourmand subclass for the Ranger... Someone who hunts rare beasts and creatures specifically for their meat...

Temperjoke
2018-01-04, 05:02 PM
Now I'm feeling like someone should make a Cook background and a Gourmand subclass for the Ranger... Someone who hunts rare beasts and creatures specifically for their meat...

Give them an identify-based ability that allows them to study an enemy and use their butchery knowledge to give them a bonus to melee damage when fighting that enemy. After all, chefs know the best way to take things apart for eating.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-04, 05:24 PM
Give them an identify-based ability that allows them to study an enemy and use their butchery knowledge to give them a bonus to melee damage when fighting that enemy. After all, chefs know the best way to take things apart for eating.

Porkstalker Conclave.

Someone make it happen. I wanna be a Lizardfolk Chef Ranger with a comically large bib, barbecue sauce, and large butchers knife.

Camman1984
2018-01-04, 05:24 PM
how about a lore bard. his spellbook is actually a list of recipes that trigger magical effects when he reads them aloud. he takes performance-chef and some kind of portable grill as his instrument and his 'inspiration' is tossing freshly cooked bits of meat to his allies during combat. might lure in more of the scent focused monsters though.

use magic secrets to pick up goodberries for seasoning of your cuisine so your food is so good it actually has a mechanical benefit

BloodOgre
2018-01-04, 05:25 PM
Don't eat black dragon. They are immune to acid, and will end up a huge lump in your stomach that won't digest. You could die if you don't vomit it up.
Also, I'm sure they taste dreadful, what with being swamp predators and all.

The skin/scales would certainly be immune to acid, as would be the glands that produce it and the passageways that allow them to spray it, but I don't know that the meat of the dragon is immune to acid. Besides, animal stomachs contain a fair amount of acid for the digestion process and are "immune" to acid, yet properly prepared are used as casings for sausage or ingredients in other food items. Likewise, at least some of the dragon meat should be consumable.

Being swamp predators, I bet they taste like crocodile or catfish.

thanks for all the suggestions

CantigThimble
2018-01-04, 05:50 PM
Human skin is effectively immune to most bacteria, but if it's cut then the flesh underneath can easily be infected. If we maintain any level of biological grounding in our interpretations of dragons then their skin probably works in a similar way with acid.

Unless you have acid for blood then there's not much point in every cubic inch of you being immune to it.

Temperjoke
2018-01-04, 05:59 PM
how about a lore bard. his spellbook is actually a list of recipes that trigger magical effects when he reads them aloud. he takes performance-chef and some kind of portable grill as his instrument and his 'inspiration' is tossing freshly cooked bits of meat to his allies during combat. might lure in more of the scent focused monsters though.

use magic secrets to pick up goodberries for seasoning of your cuisine so your food is so good it actually has a mechanical benefit

Well I think I'd prefer the idea of Ranger as teh base class for this (originally I was thinking rogue for the focus on dexterity, but ranger works as well). Since they've been adding spells for each of the ranger subclasses, Goodberry can certainly be one of the spells, that's a good idea. It's already on the ranger list, but spells added via subclass don't count against their spells known. Create Food and Water can be another one for the subclass spell list. Rangers don't get 6th level spots, but Heroes' Feast could be added as the subclass's 11th level ability, cast once per long rest, without requiring mats.

2D8HP
2018-01-04, 06:41 PM
Now I'm feeling like someone should make a Cook background and a Gourmand subclass for the Ranger... Someone who hunts rare beasts and creatures specifically for their meat....
No "Gourmand" subclass, but you don't even have to make a custom background for cook as page 132 lists "cooks and bakers" as one of the "Guild Business"'s.

nickl_2000
2018-01-04, 07:05 PM
No "Gourmand" subclass, but you don't even have to make a custom background for cook as page 132 lists "cooks and bakers" as one of the "Guild Business"'s.

I feel the gourmand class should get prof with improvised weapons (cooking tools) so you can beat someone about with a ladel or wooden spoon.

And to the original question, dragon meat *hugh* what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing, say it again.

ZorroGames
2018-01-04, 07:51 PM
I feel the gourmand class should get prof with improvised weapons (cooking tools) so you can beat someone about with a ladel or wooden spoon.

And to the original question, dragon meat *hugh* what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing, say it again.

I recognize what song that came from! We are still recovering from the (19)60s! Though the (18)60s were not the greatest either...

Edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk

Mith
2018-01-04, 09:10 PM
I recognize what song that came from! We are still recovering from the (19)60s! Though the (18)60s were not the greatest either...

Edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk

As an aside: This is probably the first time I have listened to the entire song through to the end. Usually it's only the first part that is quoted and then it's cut off. Holy crap is Edwin Starr's voice amazing!

More on topic, I would say that just eating dragon meat would at least cause other Dragons to have a strong aversion to being hostile to you due to scent, but likely no permanent changes from a 1 time incident. If one continued hunting dragonkind for food, I would consider potential physiological changes to the character over time. In my head right now, I picture turning more Lizardfolk like, losing racial bonuses and gaining Lizardfolk bonuses in their place.

Laserlight
2018-01-04, 09:33 PM

We had a ranger who was doing that.

In my Primeval Thule campaign, the halfling ate the heart of a Thulean dragon; he's going to get some minor self-heal ability out of it.
He makes a habit of that sort of thing. He didn't eat the wereboar heart, possibly because she changed back into human form when she died; but he did try kython and froghemoth. Those didn't work out well for him; we'll see if he figures out "don't eat aberrations and demons" before it kills him.

Requilac
2018-01-04, 09:48 PM
It is settled then, the world cannot be whole until the gourmand, chef-of-death sub-class has been created. Give me a couple of hours to quickly whip something up, for on this day the pork stalker arises!

ZorroGames
2018-01-04, 10:26 PM
It is settled then, the world cannot be whole until the gourmand, chef-of-death sub-class has been created. Give me a couple of hours to quickly whip something up, for on this day the pork stalker arises!

LOL! OMG, that is just over the top in a good way.

Zonugal
2018-01-04, 11:54 PM
I know what a common man thinks of this question.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ba/75/5b/ba755b1f975639d1c2b4b846859cece2.jpg

Temperjoke
2018-01-05, 12:45 AM

I did make a couple of suggestions/ideas earlier :)

hymer
2018-01-05, 01:18 AM
The skin/scales would certainly be immune to acid, as would be the glands that produce it and the passageways that allow them to spray it, but I don't know that the meat of the dragon is immune to acid.

They also breathe the stuff, though. I think that immunity is more than skin deep.
At any rate, I was just adding a thought to the thread that I hadn't seen yet.

Requilac
2018-01-05, 01:41 AM
I did make a couple of suggestions/ideas earlier :)

I took notice of them and will definitely see if I can include some of them in. I have not stopped working on the class, I just got distracted by other things and had to postpone its creation. I am building it right now as we speak though.

Camman1984
2018-01-05, 02:19 AM
Well I think I'd prefer the idea of Ranger as teh base class for this (originally I was thinking rogue for the focus on dexterity, but ranger works as well). Since they've been adding spells for each of the ranger subclasses, Goodberry can certainly be one of the spells, that's a good idea. It's already on the ranger list, but spells added via subclass don't count against their spells known. Create Food and Water can be another one for the subclass spell list. Rangers don't get 6th level spots, but Heroes' Feast could be added as the subclass's 11th level ability, cast once per long rest, without requiring mats.

I was mostly using it as an example of using current rules to play the idea out, ranger works well as the custom class though. makes them good at finding the food first too :)

Requilac
2018-01-05, 03:51 AM
Alright, it has been done. I present to you all the porkstalker ranger conclave (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bk7YP_22Qz). May you all tremble in fear at the horrifying powers of the gourmand.

RazorChain
2018-01-05, 04:05 AM
Bathing in dragon's blood makes you immune to weapons so it would be safely to assume if you make blood sausages then your innards get really tough.

Eating a dragons's heart gives you magical abilities like understanding animal speech so what's not to like?

Ground dragon's genitalia is a known cure for erectile dysfunction and is the main reason dragons are almost exstinct

Drascin
2018-01-05, 04:12 AM
You guys should read a manga titled Dungeon Meshi (Delicious In Dungeon in the traslation, I think). It's about a party that is broke and eats the monsters they kill to get through a dungeon.

For the record, the characters are faced with this exact same question in the OP at one point. The dwarven culinarian Senshi decides that the answer to the OP question is: roast, dragontail soup, pizza bread meat tapas (http://img.bato.to/comics/2016/10/14/d/read58012757e6414/img000020.png), and dragon ham for packing rations. Admittedly, though, that was a Red dragon, not a Black dragon.

MxKit
2018-01-05, 04:29 AM
Alright, it has been done. I present to you all the porkstalker ranger conclave (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bk7YP_22Qz). May you all tremble in fear at the horrifying powers of the gourmand.

You are my favorite person.

Afrodactyl
2018-01-05, 07:00 AM
Anyway, like I was sayin', dragon is the fruit of the material plane. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, dragon-kabobs, dragon creole, dragon gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple dragon, lemon dragon, coconut dragon, pepper dragon, dragon soup, dragon stew, dragon salad, dragon and potatoes, dragon burger, dragon sandwich. That- that's about it.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-05, 07:55 AM

I love it. Lizardfolk Porkstalkers are gonna be so fun. I wouldn’t mind playing a revised ranger version of this too.

Temperjoke
2018-01-05, 08:47 AM

I've got a couple of suggestions. One would be to modify the level 7 ability to be a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier, and regaining all uses after a long rest. Otherwise it'll just get spammed all the time, and there will be no point to a DM using that sort of trap, which would make the ability useless. I don't know that the spell list is totally thematic either. I don't have time right now to suggest other options, but I think you were trying to give them increasing strength spells, when the ones in XGtE doesn't. And even if it's a spell already on the Ranger list, because the subclass spells don't count against your spells known, it makes it worth putting them on the subclass list.

Beleriphon
2018-01-05, 10:26 AM

There is very little that doesn't taste good after 14 hours in a smoker with a good dry rub. On the alligator note, dragons are probably more akin to a allosaurus than an alligator. The biggest issue with most terrestrial predator flesh is that they are relatively low on the fat content even compared to something like venison, so they tend to get dry when cooked. The only predators that tend to have high fat levels are aquatic mammals since they have thick layers of blubber, but that isn't the same as a well marbled piece of beef.

Hmmmmm, maybe a black dragon tastes like salt water crocodile. I have no idea what a saltie tastes like though.

BloodOgre
2018-01-05, 01:37 PM
Anyway, like I was sayin', dragon is the fruit of the material plane. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, dragon-kabobs, dragon creole, dragon gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple dragon, lemon dragon, coconut dragon, pepper dragon, dragon soup, dragon stew, dragon salad, dragon and potatoes, dragon burger, dragon sandwich. That- that's about it.

What about dragon sushi, dragon fried rice, spaghetti dragon, Ta-chin Dragon, Mongolian dragon, dragon alfredo and dragon jerky? :smallsmile:

We have a halfling monk in our party whose adventuring goal is to collect recipes and acquire enough gold to open an exotic food restaurant.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-05, 03:17 PM
There is very little that doesn't taste good after 14 hours in a smoker with a good dry rub. On the alligator note, dragons are probably more akin to a allosaurus than an alligator. The biggest issue with most terrestrial predator flesh is that they are relatively low on the fat content even compared to something like venison, so they tend to get dry when cooked. The only predators that tend to have high fat levels are aquatic mammals since they have thick layers of blubber, but that isn't the same as a well marbled piece of beef.

Hmmmmm, maybe a black dragon tastes like salt water crocodile. I have no idea what a saltie tastes like though.

Dragons taste like Monitor Lizards most likely. Komodo Dragons are probably the closest things to Black Dragons, and they taste like a fishy chicken . Good fries too.

MrBig
2018-01-05, 04:25 PM
Sell it to rich nobles for a lot of coin.
Keep the head (as proof it came from a dragon). Then smoke and salt the meat, to preserve it from spoiling.

Finally, start selling it to rich, soiled nobles who want to impress their friends.

Requilac
2018-01-05, 05:18 PM
I've got a couple of suggestions. One would be to modify the level 7 ability to be a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier, and regaining all uses after a long rest. Otherwise it'll just get spammed all the time, and there will be no point to a DM using that sort of trap, which would make the ability useless.

Good point, I will put that limitation on it.

I don't know that the spell list is totally thematic either. I don't have time right now to suggest other options, but I think you were trying to give them increasing strength spells, when the ones in XGtE doesn't. And even if it's a spell already on the Ranger list, because the subclass spells don't count against your spells known, it makes it worth putting them on the subclass list.

To be completely honest, creating an additional spell list for a sub-class that is based around cooking is intensely difficult. I was kind of desperate and was forced to draw some extremely remote connections so that I could create it. This really is about as thematic as it gets, you just have to be creative. Let me explain my thoughts on each spell

purify food and drink: It makes perfect sense for a chef to have this spell on hand. It is just as thematically appropriate as goodberry is at the very least, but purify comes with the benefit of not already being present on the ranger's spell list. What i also considered doing was giving porkstalkers detect poison and disease, but i think that chef's senses would make this spell a little redundant to add in.

gentle repose: While the main purpose of this spell may be to keep a corpse from becoming undead, the spell also states that the target is "protected from decay". Using this spell, you can keep food from spoiling for 10 days straight. That is an incredibly useful thing for any chef to at hand. While locate animals or plants may make sense, that spell really is massively underpowered. I suppose protection from poison could work if you reflavor it as your food being so nourishing that the target can fight back poison easier, but this is more than a little bit of a stretch. Gentle repose is probably the best option to go with here.

create food and water: This really is a perfect choice for a sub-class based around cooking. Perhaps plant growth would work too, especially if you take the effect that has the 8 hour casting time, but that spell is already on the ranger's spell list. If you have not realized yet my mentality is if two spells are about equally appropriate when it comes to theme, i am going to choose the one which is not already on the spell list. That seems like the best way to increase the porkstalkers power.

faithful hound: I got really desperate here, as it seems like almost no 4th level spell seems to work here. I choose this because perhaps the hound could protect you while you are cooking, that and dogs are typically associated with hunting, which is something that pork stalkers should be doing quite frequently. Locate creature could also work to emphasize the whole "hunter" element too, but it is already on the ranger's spell list. Neither make much sense, but they are the only 4th level spells that really do make any sense for this class. faithful hound is not on the ranger's spell list though and is much more dramatic, so i went with that one. This spell i am probably the least confident in though.

creation: once again, there just did not seem to be any thematically appropriate fifth level spells that I could give to the pork stalker. Creation caught my eye though, as it says you can create objects made of vegetable matter, which potentially means that you could create a giant vegetable to use in cooking. Well, it depends on exactly what you consider to be "non-living" that is, as a DM i would say that so long as it is a plant disconnected from its roots or source of nutrition then it would be acceptable but YMMV. The relation is very remote I know, but nothing else on or off the ranger's spell list seems to be any better. If you have any suggestions I am all ears though.

Temperjoke
2018-01-05, 06:32 PM
Good point, I will put that limitation on it.

To be completely honest, creating an additional spell list for a sub-class that is based around cooking is intensely difficult. I was kind of desperate and was forced to draw some extremely remote connections so that I could create it. This really is about as thematic as it gets, you just have to be creative. Let me explain my thoughts on each spell

purify food and drink: It makes perfect sense for a chef to have this spell on hand. It is just as thematically appropriate as goodberry is at the very least, but purify comes with the benefit of not already being present on the ranger's spell list. What i also considered doing was giving porkstalkers detect poison and disease, but i think that chef's senses would make this spell a little redundant to add in.

gentle repose: While the main purpose of this spell may be to keep a corpse from becoming undead, the spell also states that the target is "protected from decay". Using this spell, you can keep food from spoiling for 10 days straight. That is an incredibly useful thing for any chef to at hand. While locate animals or plants may make sense, that spell really is massively underpowered. I suppose protection from poison could work if you reflavor it as your food being so nourishing that the target can fight back poison easier, but this is more than a little bit of a stretch. Gentle repose is probably the best option to go with here.

create food and water: This really is a perfect choice for a sub-class based around cooking. Perhaps plant growth would work too, especially if you take the effect that has the 8 hour casting time, but that spell is already on the ranger's spell list. If you have not realized yet my mentality is if two spells are about equally appropriate when it comes to theme, i am going to choose the one which is not already on the spell list. That seems like the best way to increase the porkstalkers power.

faithful hound: I got really desperate here, as it seems like almost no 4th level spell seems to work here. I choose this because perhaps the hound could protect you while you are cooking, that and dogs are typically associated with hunting, which is something that pork stalkers should be doing quite frequently. Locate creature could also work to emphasize the whole "hunter" element too, but it is already on the ranger's spell list. Neither make much sense, but they are the only 4th level spells that really do make any sense for this class. faithful hound is not on the ranger's spell list though and is much more dramatic, so i went with that one. This spell i am probably the least confident in though.

creation: once again, there just did not seem to be any thematically appropriate fifth level spells that I could give to the pork stalker. Creation caught my eye though, as it says you can create objects made of vegetable matter, which potentially means that you could create a giant vegetable to use in cooking. Well, it depends on exactly what you consider to be "non-living" that is, as a DM i would say that so long as it is a plant disconnected from its roots or source of nutrition then it would be acceptable but YMMV. The relation is very remote I know, but nothing else on or off the ranger's spell list seems to be any better. If you have any suggestions I am all ears though.

Well, for a 2nd level spell, how about Heat Metal? Gotta get that wok up to temperature, after all, or heat up an oven. Aura of Purity might work for the 4th level slot, the subclass has a sub-theme of preventing poisoning and disease. Hold Monster is also somewhat thematic, after all, you won't have to chase down the beast you want to cut up for food. :smallamused:

Requilac
2018-01-05, 07:19 PM
Well, for a 2nd level spell, how about Heat Metal? Gotta get that wok up to temperature, after all, or heat up an oven. Aura of Purity might work for the 4th level slot, the subclass has a sub-theme of preventing poisoning and disease. Hold Monster is also somewhat thematic, after all, you won't have to chase down the beast you want to cut up for food. :smallamused:

Those are all good ideas, I cannot believe I missed those before. Sorry, for some reason i was under the impression that heat metal actually melted the material instead of just heating it and the SRD i was looking at did not have aura of purity on it. Yep, i will go through and makes all those changes. Part of me feels hesitant to remove faithful hound though for some reason I do not undertstand. I guess I just have an attachment to underused spells.

Mith
2018-01-05, 08:20 PM
On the topic of the Porkstalker Ranger:

From this thread on Volo Racial feats:

From this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543598-Racial-Feats-for-Volo-s-Races&p=22623792#post22623792)thread, Skip Sandwich came up with the following feats for Lizard Folk:

Some ideas for my favorite Dinosaur-people, the Lizardfolk!

:EDIT: due to feedback, have added ASI to Ferocious Hunger, Expert Hunter and Rip & Tear

Enchanted Artisan: When you use your Cunning Artisan ability, if the creature whose body you are scavenging possessed either natural spellcasting ability or natural weapons that counted as magical, any weapons created also count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance or immunity. Furthermore, if you make a Shield from the body of a creature that possessed Resistance or Immunity to one or more damage types, you may choose one of those damage types, and the shield thus created bestows Resistance to that damage type when wielded.

Efficient Artisan: When you use your Cunning Artisan feature, you may make one additional item (or batch of ammo) for every two sizes larger than small the corpse is. If the corpse is Large or larger, you may add the Greatclub, Spear, Quarterstaff, Shortbow, 1d4 arrows, Leather Armor and Hide armor to the list of craftable items. If the corpse is size Gargantuan, you may also construct a Pike, Lance, Longbow or Breastplate.

Ferocious Hunger: When you use your Hungry Jaws ability you deal an additional +1d6 damage with your bite and gain temporary hit points equal to one-half the damage dealt + your con modifier. Increase your Con score by 1.

Hunter's Expertise: Choose two of the following skills; Animal Handling, Nature, Perception, Stealth or Survival, you gain proficiency in the selected skills. If you already possessed proficiency in the chosen skill(s), you now apply twice your proficiency modifier to all ability checks for that skill (as the Rogue's Expertise ability). You may also increase you Dex or Wis score by 1 point.

Rip & Tear: Your bite attack deals an additional +1d4 Slashing damage and counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance or immunity. Increase your Str by 1 point.

If we use standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and arrange as STR 10 DEX 15 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 13 CHA 8 and add racial CON +2 and WIS +1 to get 1st level stats of STR 10 DEX 15 CON 16 INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 8.

Spending all ASIs on the above racial feats, you get final stats of STR 11 (+0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 15 (+2) INT 12 (+1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 8 (-1) and a ranger that can use 100% of the corpse for food and equipment. I would take Dueling and use a Scimitar and Shield to attack with a cleaver and bite my opponents to do 1d6+5 (+3 Dex and +2 Dueling) slashing damage, with a bonus action bite attack of 1d6+1d4 +(0 STR) with +1d6/Short Rest that gives you back 5 THP minimum (Hungry Jaws+Ferocious Hunger), and your bite counts as magical.

Not the most optimal, but certainly fun. The only thing I don't like about the set up is the inability to craft a Scimitar from a corpse. I like the idea of having a weapon called Bone-Cleaver. :smallbiggrin:

I really want to do a 1-20 silly campaign with this character. Might do something slightly different with the stats, but having a base AC of 16 (18 with Shield) and an average damage of 2d6+1d4+5 damage a round isn`t terrible either.

But I am not the best judge of homebrew so perhaps this is a bad idea for a home game.

KarlMarx
2018-01-05, 08:37 PM
I believe that there's a reference in an earlier edition saying that black dragon flesh is poisonous, becoming more so as they age...

It obviously isn't official in 5e, but it makes sense...the things deliberately let their food rot in fetid swamps before eating it.

Also, if they collected any body fluids, I believe refined dragon blood is one of the most powerful reagents in most alchemical lores.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-05, 08:59 PM
I believe that there's a reference in an earlier edition saying that black dragon flesh is poisonous, becoming more so as they age...

It obviously isn't official in 5e, but it makes sense...the things deliberately let their food rot in fetid swamps before eating it.

Also, if they collected any body fluids, I believe refined dragon blood is one of the most powerful reagents in most alchemical lores.

Dragon bile used to be one of the more powerful poisons in older editions. Dragon blood is often described as extremely poisonous in mythology, too.

I think if there are some inedible dragons, green and black are the most likely candidates.

Camman1984
2018-01-06, 03:13 AM

I love this class, well done.

precise cuts would be nasty with a half orc wielding a great axe, 10% chance of striking for 4d12 damage :-s, it would be interesting to see how this played out at that low a level.

flaming weapons doesn't have a duration for the, I assume it isn't supposed to make your weapons permanently hot?

Requilac
2018-01-06, 08:13 AM
I love this class, well done.

precise cuts would be nasty with a half orc wielding a great axe, 10% chance of striking for 4d12 damage :-s, it would be interesting to see how this played out at that low a level.

flaming weapons doesn't have a duration for the, I assume it isn't supposed to make your weapons permanently hot?

No actually, flaming weapons is supposed to be an always on trait. The benefits of it don’t seem to be so overpowered that it needs to be limited.

Asmotherion
2018-01-06, 08:30 AM
Black Dragon Wyrmling Meat?

It's only good for Enraging His/Her parents enough to make their goal to TPK your party and all your relatives. Unless you can sell your souls to ultimatelly kill all their bloodline with a single spell, just hide for ever in a dark cave :P

In all seriousness, you could prolly use it for a half dragon Ritual, if your DM lets you I suppose (Mostly Dragon's blood is referanced in the MM) or to somehow quallyfy for a multiclass into Dragonic Bloodline Sorcerer if someone is interested in dipping. It's an interesting RP opportunity to use. Other than that, ask your DM, make the Arcana/Nature/Religion/Whatever checks necessery, and see what else your DM may allow.

The hide may quallyfy for a +Armor, the bones for +weapons if worked appropriatelly, and the Heart/Lungs may be used to craft some magic wand or staff that recharges. Even the Wings may be enchanted to becomes Wings of Flying if your DM says they are appropriate.

The limit is (first and most importantly) what the DM says is appropriate, and (second of all) your own creativity (as well as how damaged the corpse is from the battle).

Camman1984
2018-01-06, 09:17 AM
No actually, flaming weapons is supposed to be an always on trait. The benefits of it don’t seem to be so overpowered that it needs to be limited.

that's fine, just wasn't sure as it says you use your action to activate it. so is it just a permanent ability to do a different type of damage or do the weapons get hot as purely from a RP perspective (power wise it is fine) having the swords always burning hot might cause a problem.

Requilac
2018-01-06, 09:25 AM
that's fine, just wasn't sure as it says you use your action to activate it. so is it just a permanent ability to do a different type of damage or do the weapons get hot as purely from a RP perspective (power wise it is fine) having the swords always burning hot might cause a problem.

Oh, did I really say you use your to activate it? That was kind of a mistake on my part, which was probably out of subconscious instinct more than anything else. I will update the feature to make it so that you can temporarily turn it off.