PDA

View Full Version : What archetype is the most versatile for a Druid char?

TheBirba
2018-01-04, 06:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I’ve been toying with the idea of playing a caster Druid but I have been struggling to choose the right archetype. By caster I mean that I don’t want to be primarily using Wild Shape in combat but focus on spell casting instead.
The games I play are usually very much focused on RP (level 1-10), and fluff is very important in the choice. I plan to use shapeshift for utility only.

You would think that the best archetype would be the Circle of the Land but its features are a bit underwhelming, so I thought I’d ask the ever knowing GitP community for an opinion.

As we know the choice is between 4 archetypes:

- Circle of the Land: the obvious choice, but all it really gives is more spell slots (Natural Recovery) and more spells (extra cantrip, circle spells); immunity to non-magical difficult terrain (at lvl 6) and poison (at lvl 10) are hardly worth it though. In addition, it really annoys me how being part of some tipe of “Land” only gives you free spells for... reasons, I wish they would have expanded the focus on that.
To be fair, the circle spells are indeed something no other archetype gets.

- Circle of the Shepherd: in my opinion this is the other underwhelming option, since it mainly focuses on summons and summons pretty much suck - mechanically they’re super strong of course, but also disruptive of the actual-game experience. The ability to speak with animals without using the spell is the only bonus that would make me look at this archetype.

- Circle of the Dreams: this one makes for arguably the best healer (Balm of the Summer Court) and provides ok utility (Hearth of Moonlight and Shadow) but does not provide for anything unique even with Hidden Paths (lvl 10).

- Circle of the Moon: it pains me to say that I believe this may very well be the best archetype even for the caster Druid. You can do pretty much everything the other archetypes do and you get the option to use your shapeshift efficiently in melee combat as well. I would go with this archetype if I didn’t feel like I wouldn’t be using the class to its maximum potential in combat (casting spells instead of shapeshifting). Being able to shapeshift with a bonus action and elemental shapes sound too good to pass on.

Does anyone have any actual game experience that they would like to share?

Matticusrex
2018-01-04, 08:05 PM
Moon druid will always be the king.

Drayrs
2018-01-04, 09:00 PM
I would argue that Circle of the Shepard is probably the current best option for mid-levels. However, if you feel that summons are too disruptive for your table I understand if you don't want to consider it.

That being said, the HP pool you can summon is extremely large even at level 6. Presuming you invest in War Caster or Resilient (Con), a single casting of Conjure Animals is very efficient. Consider the potential DPR from 8 Wolves with 15 HP each and advantage on effectively every attack for 2d4+2. Not to mention the DC 11 Strength saves against falling prone on every hit.

Summons scale reasonably well, much better than a Moon Druid's Wild Shape. Shepard Druids are arguably a much more versatile caster, since they have little motivation to spend time Wild Shaped during combat, although they are of course limited to non-concentration spells. This isn't including the potential impact their aura has on combat, of which the Bear and Unicorn spirits provide good bonuses.

With respect to healing, Balm of the Summer Court is mediocre at best. As a 10th level druid, you basically have 6 free casts of Healing Word (1st level), or 2 quickened 4th level Cure Wounds, per long rest (45 HP total). Compare this to your short rest Unicorn Aura which heals every ally in a 30 ft radius 10 HP per healing spell (and you can have 6-20 allies with a single cast of Conjure Animals and 3 other party members). Also compare this to the Bear Aura which grants 15 temporary HP to the same allies (90-300 bonus HP). Consider Guardian Spirit as well, which gives your summons 5 HP at the end of their turns while in the Aura.

What this means is that you can contribute to combat efficiently on less spell slots than a Land Druid, and with an HP pool comparable to a Moon Druid over a long rest. I personally do not have much interest in the Circle of Dreams, as its 6th and 10th level abilities seem to be par-or-worse versions of Leomund's Tiny Hut and the 6th level Conjuration School feature, respectively.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-04, 09:25 PM
The Shepherd's auras are pretty potent, especially at lower levels. But I really think you might stick with Land... You say it "only" gives you more spells, but spells are the most versatile option in the game. And the circle spells have some real strong options that are either unavailable-- Misty Step? Haste?-- or that you'd be prepping anyway. You're SIGNIFICANTLY increasing your within-day versatility (by preparing more spells) and staying power.

Strangways
2018-01-04, 09:46 PM
I’ve been toying with the idea of playing a caster Druid but I have been struggling to choose the right archetype. By caster I mean that I don’t want to be primarily using Wild Shape in combat but focus on spell casting instead.
The games I play are usually very much focused on RP (level 1-10), and fluff is very important in the choice. I plan to use shapeshift for utility only.

You would think that the best archetype would be the Circle of the Land but its features are a bit underwhelming, so I thought I’d ask the ever knowing GitP community for an opinion.

As we know the choice is between 4 archetypes:

- Circle of the Land: the obvious choice, but all it really gives is more spell slots (Natural Recovery) and more spells (extra cantrip, circle spells); immunity to non-magical difficult terrain (at lvl 6) and poison (at lvl 10) are hardly worth it though. In addition, it really annoys me how being part of some tipe of “Land” only gives you free spells for... reasons, I wish they would have expanded the focus on that.
To be fair, the circle spells are indeed something no other archetype gets.

- Circle of the Shepherd: in my opinion this is the other underwhelming option, since it mainly focuses on summons and summons pretty much suck - mechanically they’re super strong of course, but also disruptive of the actual-game experience. The ability to speak with animals without using the spell is the only bonus that would make me look at this archetype.

- Circle of the Dreams: this one makes for arguably the best healer (Balm of the Summer Court) and provides ok utility (Hearth of Moonlight and Shadow) but does not provide for anything unique even with Hidden Paths (lvl 10).

- Circle of the Moon: it pains me to say that I believe this may very well be the best archetype even for the caster Druid. You can do pretty much everything the other archetypes do and you get the option to use your shapeshift efficiently in melee combat as well. I would go with this archetype if I didn’t feel like I wouldn’t be using the class to its maximum potential in combat (casting spells instead of shapeshifting). Being able to shapeshift with a bonus action and elemental shapes sound too good to pass on.

Land: "but all it really gives is more spell slots (Natural Recovery) and more spells (extra cantrip, circle spells)" More spells and more slots are the bedrock of every caster class. These are both very, very strong subclass features.

Dreams: Easily the best healer of them all. If you like the idea of healing your party members, this is definitely your top choice. Plus the RP opportunities are abundant. You won't just heal them, you will grant them the Balm of the Summer Court. You won't just teleport them, you will open the secret tunnels of the fey wild for their benefit.

Shepherd: Yep, summons are really, really strong, and certainly at the middle levels where most campaigns end. Yes, they can risk bogging down the pace of the game, but if you're just RP'ing with very little combat, this won't matter. If I were to play a Shepherd (and I will because I will play every Druid subclass eventually), I'd feel some special obligation to figure out a way to be lightning fast at keeping the relevant information about my summons at hand, and racing through my turn nearly as fast as people who don't have any summoned creature.

Moon: The one that stands apart from the other 3, as the only one that actually contemplates wading into melee combat rather than standing back and casting spells at range. If you don't want to fight in beast form (and you say that you don't), then this is not the subclass for you.

Given your description of what you want to do, I'd go Dreams or Land, but any non-Moon Druid would be fine.

Drayrs
2018-01-04, 09:56 PM
Land: "but all it really gives is more spell slots (Natural Recovery) and more spells (extra cantrip, circle spells)" More spells and more slots are the bedrock of every caster class. These are both very, very strong subclass features.

Dreams: Easily the best healer of them all. If you like the idea of healing your party members, this is definitely your top choice. Plus the RP opportunities are abundant. You won't just heal them, you will grant them the Balm of the Summer Court. You won't just teleport them, you will open the secret tunnels of the fey wild for their benefit.

I totally did not read that your sessions will be focused more heavily on RP. Dreams and Land are my favourite in that regard as well; the character from a mysterious or unfamiliar region is always fun to play.

Strangways
2018-01-04, 10:24 PM
I totally did not read that your sessions will be focused more heavily on RP. Dreams and Land are my favourite in that regard as well; the character from a mysterious or unfamiliar region is always fun to play.

Plus Dreams can be combined with the Far Traveler background to create a character who seems downright strange, one might even say otherworldly, to the people around him.

Gardakan
2018-01-04, 10:37 PM
If you can manage your spell list, then the Moon Druid is your best option.

You get quite early power spikes, still retain the full casting of the Druid.

You are amongst the most versatile members out there, competing with the Lore Bard for fullfilling the needs of your party.

Moon Druid means you have access to a decent tanking ability earlier.