PDA

View Full Version : Squall in Eberron

Caduceus
2007-08-23, 07:58 AM
I came up with an idea last night for a character for a possible future Eberron game, based on Squall Leonhart from Final Fantasy VIII. I'd like to create a version of him at relatively low levels (1-5) as a former soldier of the Brelish army using the ToB rules.

Now, I'm not planning on having him cast actual spells or anything to duplicate the GFs or magic in the game, just his weapon style. I already know I've got him as a Warblade focusing on Diamond Mind and Iron Heart. To duplicate the blast of the gunblade, he'll have Martial Study to learn Burning Blade.

Any further help would be welcome.

Sucrose
2007-08-23, 08:32 AM
The Lionheart technique would be well represented by Time Stands Still, though Avalanche of Blades might also work.

Rough Divide could be approximated by Emerald Razor with full Power Attack.

Fated Circle could probably be best expressed with Mithral and Adamantine Hurricane.

Blasting Zone could be Lightning Throw with altered fluff.

Tormsskull
2007-08-23, 08:33 AM
OPer: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=39

Caduceus
2007-08-23, 09:02 AM
The Lionheart technique would be well represented by Time Stands Still, though Avalanche of Blades might also work.

Rough Divide could be approximated by Emerald Razor with full Power Attack.

Fated Circle could probably be best expressed with Mithral and Adamantine Hurricane.

Blasting Zone could be Lightning Throw with altered fluff.

Thank you for your help. Those maneuvers fit very well with the overall style. One of my major problems, however, is that the early stances for Diamond Mind and Iron Heart both leave you wide open to attacks.

Also, I apologize for any rules violations. I hope that putting the image in a spoiler block alleviates the problem.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-23, 09:45 AM
Well, they're still workable disciplines. As a Warblade, you'll have a lot of HP anyway. Make sure you try to ginsu the weaker enemies first (or have your casters crowd control them) to minimize the number of attacks per round that you have to dodge.

This is an interesting idea. I'd actually been thinking of throwing in "Tempest the Lion-Hearted" as an archetypal Warblade in my ancient Eberron history and seeing if anyone got it. The Garden system would itself fit really well in Eberron, as training houses for Deneith's various mercenary services. Have you considered that kind of background for this character, or are you strictly sticking with mechanical interpretation and not story?

Also, this may not interest you, but in Magic of Eberron, there are the War Spikard and the Spear Spikard, mele weapons that for some reason fire spring-loaded crossbow bolts when you hit something with them. It's the closest I've ever seen to an official gunblade...but these things have all the ridiculousness of said gunblade with none of the awesome, so you may want to stick with your original idea.

Sucrose
2007-08-23, 10:07 AM
Thank you for your help. Those maneuvers fit very well with the overall style. One of my major problems, however, is that the early stances for Diamond Mind and Iron Heart both leave you wide open to attacks.

Also, I apologize for any rules violations. I hope that putting the image in a spoiler block alleviates the problem.

I don't think that you have to pick stances from disciplines that you have maneuvers from; after all, it's unlikely that you're exclusively trained in an Iron Heart dojo or Diamond Mind sanctum; people just use the techniques that they know. If you prefer other stances, just use them.

I will say, though, that I think the 1st level Diamond Mind stance is very good, maybe not as good as the scent-granting Tiger Claw stance, but good nonetheless; just use it when you're up against a single opponent. Your stances don't have to always be on.

Also, as far as defense is concerned, it's very hard to top Iron Heart and Diamond Mind; Iron Heart lets you deflect freakin' rays, for crying out loud! Diamond Mind, if you max Concentration, can let you make up for the crummy Will save fighters tend to have, too.