PDA

View Full Version : Monsters are ingredients, encounters are dishes

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-04, 07:38 PM
Note: the following is intended in a mostly-humorous vein, although a semi-serious point hides within.

I like cooking. And I like RPG theory. Now--my attempt to unify the two!

I present the culinary theory of encounter design!

In short, a good encounter is like a good dish. All the parts--the monster selection, the terrain, the tactics, and the descriptions all work together and become much more than the sum of their parts. In this dish called combat, the foes provide the main ingredients, while the terrain and tactics form the spices and sauces, and the descriptions are the plating and presentation. Combinations of encounters form an adventure

In this particular post I want to expand on the enemy part of the analogy. Different types of ingredients can be roughly classified into a few categories; so too can monsters. As I see it, one breakdown of the types of ingredients are as follows.

Starches
These provide the bulk of the dietary energy from a dish. Often bland by themselves, they also serve as a vehicle for other flavors. Examples are potatoes, grains (in the form of bread or pasta or cooked in many other ways), root vegetables.

By analogy, "starchy" monsters are those that while not complex, allow the rest of the encounter to work well and deliver its proper punch. I see things like the basic undead, basic humanoid or beast NPCs, etc as fitting this group. Alone, they're not much of a fun fight except in huge numbers. Supporting another, more complex monster they can give the "boss" breathing room to pull his fun toys out.

Proteins and fats
The proteins and fats give the solidity to the dish. Whether supplied by mushrooms, meat, fish, dairy, etc, they provide lasting flavors and richness. Not usually complex in and of themselves, they enhance and support the rest of the flavors.

By analogy, these are your basic brutes. Long lasting walls of meat that back up the simpler "starchy" monsters and provide backbone. A basic, no-frills encounter can be done with just meat and potatoes--a bunch of goblins backed by an ogre.

Greens
Greens (raw leafy vegetables and other bulky, low-calorie foods) provide bulk. They make the whole meal more filling without making it heavy. Often subtle in flavor and served alone.

These are the easy/medium encounters that are not the focus of the campaign. Usually served alone--things like wandering monsters or creatures that don't really play well with other monsters (either ecologically or in combat terms). Use them as interesting filler encounters. That, or these are the non-combat challenges--the skill checks, the puzzles, traps, etc.

Flavorings
These high-potency ingredients such as peppers (capsicum or piperine-containing), herbs, and other strong-tasting things provide a needed punch of flavor. If too much is used, however, the dish will be one-dimensional and unpleasant. Not all dishes need them, however.

These are the high-complexity monsters that don't do well alone. Mages, Priests, most non-legendary casters. Be careful in their use--too much makes a one-note encounter (or campaign). The right amount, however, can drastically improve an encounter by being the backup that the starches are delivering.

All-in-one
Perfectly ripe fruit. A prime steak, seasoned with nothing but salt. Things like this are a dish by themselves. Only a few things have both the complexity of flavors and the heft to stand alone.

These are your legendary dragons or other solo monsters. A diet of nothing but steak and fruit will bring ruin--so too overusing these heavy-weight monsters can break the rhythm of a campaign.

Are there dishes you're particularly fond of? Share your encounter-building recipes (or propose your own categories).

BeefGood
2018-01-04, 10:15 PM
I’m not sure I agree that terrain is a spice/sauce. Maybe upgrade it to an ingredient.
Or I should say, speaking for myself, I wish that I would remember to make terrain an ingredient, rather than relegating it to a garnish as I usually do.
Also the All-in-One portion of the analogy is questionable because a prime steak is the Best Thing Ever while solo monsters are surprisingly difficult to use effectively in 5e. A typical party’s numerical advantage is too strong. Solo monsters need some minions, and then they are no longer solo.
Just my 2cents.

odigity
2018-01-04, 11:35 PM
...a prime steak is the Best Thing Ever...

A biased source if I've ever seen one. :)

Chugger
2018-01-05, 05:21 AM
Very creative!

I'm thinking of a battle with a Lich and maybe the dinner scene from Rocky Horror Picture Show...and realizing this may not be in the spirit of your post! :smallbiggrin:

Afrodactyl
2018-01-05, 06:17 AM
I view it in a similar way. When I build an encounter I look at;
The Threat
The Timer
The Treat
The Terrain
The Theatrics

The threat is the things that bring the danger. Whether it be one big enemy, lots of small ones, somewhere in between or the environment itself, getting the right dangers and playing them how I imagine they would act and react depending on the circumstances is key. Enemies might be stalling and buying time for their reinforcements to arrive (or for the rest of their men to flee), they could be backed into a corner and fighting to the death, or just looking for some easy coin which getting killed over it isnt worth.

The timer is exactly that, a timer. This prevents encounters from becoming a grind. Roll a d4 and set that die down on the table and turn it over every turn. When it hits zero, something happens. It could be that the terrain shifts, more enemies arrive, backup for the PCs arrives, terrain or weather effects, anything. A favourite of mine is having X amount of weak enemies (and the occasional stronger one) come from somewhere every d4 turns, and the party will realise after a wave or two that this is a fight that they can't win by killing things and they have to flee or get creative. Keeps the encounter feeling dynamic and adaptive and your players will panic and start sweating every time you pull out a d4.

The treat is the reward. Why are your players fighting all these spiders if they're not getting something from it? The treat could be as basic as a pile of gold and weapons they want, it could be escaping a collapsing cave system and not being killed, or it could be rescuing a vital NPC that knows the secret ritual that stops the world ending.

And terrain is literally the terrain, which stops your fights turning into a scrap on a featureless wasteland. Things that block, slow and inconvenience the players and monsters are key, and things that make the combat more interesting are even better. I recently used a bar fight and had people trying to vault tables rather than run around them, fallen chairs that were difficult terrain, and people hiding under the tables and the bar and my players loved it.

The theatrics is the cinematic moments in the encounter. Have some cool things happen that need narration from the DM and players going on. Have your fight with the dragon seem like Michael Bay and James Cameron were directing it rather than some people rolling some dice around a table. When the barbarian kills the orc warlord with a crit, let him describe the killing blow in all its visceral glory. The wizard killed all of the spider queen's minions with a fireball, and now all the webs are on fire and the queen is in a frenzy because all of her children are dead and she wants blood.

There's a lot of overlap between the categories as well. For example, an encounter where they're in a collapsing dungeon could have the ever-shrinking playing area be the threat, timer, treat, terrain and theatrics all in one, and use no enemies whatsoever.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-05, 07:28 AM
[1]I’m not sure I agree that terrain is a spice/sauce. Maybe upgrade it to an ingredient.
Or I should say, speaking for myself, I wish that I would remember to make terrain an ingredient, rather than relegating it to a garnish as I usually do.
[2]Also the All-in-One portion of the analogy is questionable because a prime steak is the Best Thing Ever while solo monsters are surprisingly difficult to use effectively in 5e. A typical party’s numerical advantage is too strong. Solo monsters need some minions, and then they are no longer solo.
Just my 2cents.

[1] I'm going to double down here. Terrain and tactics are a seasoning in particular. This includes things like salt. Without salt, even great ingredients are bland. With salt, even otherwise bland things become much better. You can take a meat and potatoes encounter and make it 100% better by including terrain and interesting (which does not always mean optimal!) tactics. White room, stand-in-one-place-and-attack battles are boring even if the monsters have "interesting" abilities. In fact, terrain and tactics can substitute for the complex monsters (and usually do).

[2] And a good steak is better when paired with another ingredient (mashed potatoes and butter, for example, or a roll). But a good steak needs salt. Making a good steak is also harder than it looks.

In the same way, you can run a successful solo encounter. But it takes effort, and without thought to terrain and tactics it will be boring. This is true no matter how many SLAs, weird abilities, etc you give it. But that same solo monster is even better with a few minions (starches, mainly). And a diet of pure solo monsters is cloying and repetitive.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-05, 10:12 AM
a prime steak is the Best Thing Ever QFT, with the caveat that it has to be properly prepared. Even a good piece of meat can be messed up by poor preparation.
while solo monsters are surprisingly difficult to use effectively in 5e. See the next points.
a good steak is better when paired with another ingredient (mashed potatoes and butter, for example, or a roll). But a good steak needs salt. Making a good steak is also harder than it looks. Having seen far too many steaks badly prepared over the years, and having messed up a few myself, this cannot be stressed too much. While I prefer broccoli or asparagus with my steak these days, the properly paired tater is fine.
In the same way, you can run a successful solo encounter. But it takes effort, and without thought to terrain and tactics it will be boring. This is true no matter how many SLAs, weird abilities, etc you give it. But that same solo monster is even better with a few minions (starches, mainly). And a diet of pure solo monsters is cloying and repetitive. Well put.