PDA

View Full Version : Best level 1 AL paladin build?

krunchyfrogg
2018-01-04, 09:59 PM
DEX pal or STR pal?

Which is better and why?

Do I plan on multiclass or am I better off shooting for pal 20 )even though I prolly won’t get there)?

ShadowSandbag
2018-01-04, 10:13 PM
At level 1 there really won't be any difference and even after that its really a matter of player choice. BOth strength and De based paladins work fine. I wouldn't bother thinking about multiclassing until at least level 5 since that's when you get Extra Attack.

Snowbluff
2018-01-04, 10:27 PM
At level 1 there really won't be any difference and even after that its really a matter of player choice. BOth strength and De based paladins work fine. I wouldn't bother thinking about multiclassing until at least level 5 since that's when you get Extra Attack.

Or level six, where you get aura of protection.

As for starting at level one, you're looking at race.

Yuan Ti gives you some Cha and poison immunity and spell resistance.

Human give give you a feat, like the shield one or the great weapon fighting one.

Elf can give a cantrip like booming blade, which is cool for early levels.

Halfling makes you lucky, and you can take some cha or get poison resistance.

Dwarf makes you tough and gives more hp and poison resistance.

Poison is a pain at low levels.

Klorox
2018-01-04, 10:34 PM
Don't multiclass until level 2 or level 6. Level 2 is if you want a great spellcaster (sorcerer or lore bard can still get wish at this level), level 6 if you want an ass-kicking paladin.

At level 6, you’ve earned your extra attack and you get your CHA to saves. That’s huge. It’s all downhill from there as a paladin. Actually, that’s not entirely true, but you definitely get a lot more out of full spellcasting levels, as you’ll just be able to smite so much more and so much harder.

As for STR v DEX, I prefer STR.

Paladins are already pretty MAD, and adding DEX into the mix really hurts. Personally, I like to maximize STR and then maximize CHA. If you sub in DEX for STR, you pretty much can not multiclass, at least not in point buy. The cost would just be too high in point buy to support a 13 STR, 20 DEX, 20 CHA, and a decent CON.

If you plan on staying single classed, DEX paladins are fine. DEX does offer more than STR, with initiative and many more skills.

Gardakan
2018-01-04, 10:34 PM
Depending on your playstyle (going into the fray or shooting from a distance) you can go STR or DEX.

Do know that Dex is not necessary if you plan on wearing heavy armor while STR will help you keep your mobility.

Paladin needs a good Constitution and a good Charisma. I'd say that a 14 Strenght or Dexterity is reasonable.

If you want a good start, go pick Inspiring Leader. It's phenomenal at keeping your party alive and you're never sure if you'll have a good Cleric down the road in Adventurer's league.

Paladins are already quite good on their own. Both Strenght and Dexterity are viable.

Willie the Duck
2018-01-04, 10:45 PM
DEX pal or STR pal?

Which is better and why?

Do I plan on multiclass or am I better off shooting for pal 20 )even though I prolly won’t get there)?

Well, as others have pointed out, if you multiclass, doing a dex build is probably harder. Whether to MC mostly depends on whether you want to be a paladin, or an adequate paladin + X.

If you do not know what level you might get to, probably do not multiclass. If the game peters out at level 9, you'll probably have more fun with a paladin 1-9 than with a paladin 1-6, then paladin6 sorcerer (as and example) 1-3 (sorcadin really coming on line in the teens)

The question of whether to dex or str really comes down to what type of combat you prefer: sword and board, two handed, or mix-and-match (so like picking the defensive fighting style and wielding whatever magic weapon the DM drops in your lap, rather than specializing around a specific idea). For sword and board, going dex (/rapier) instead of str (/longsword or the like) means 1 less AC at endgame (20 dex+ leather vs 15+ str and plate mail), but better AC, better save, and opens up neat skills. Two handed combat (which pretty much means Str) opens up reach weapons, and great feats like GWM, PAM, and Sentinel. OTOH, if you don't end up taking those feats (with your limited supply of ASIs), well then Dex looks really good.

Caelic
2018-01-04, 10:58 PM
I'm sort of surprised half elf wasn't mentioned earlier as a race; it's probably the best overall package for a Charisma-based character in AL, since it lets you run with 16-16-14-12-10-8 for stats.

OldTrees1
2018-01-04, 11:32 PM
In AL you will see lots of Tier 1, a decent amount of Tier 2, and almost no Tier 3 - 4. So plan based around 1-10 with the potential to go to 15th.

JAL_1138
2018-01-05, 12:04 AM
Don't worry too much about level 1 builds in League. You can rebuild between sessions any time before you hit level 5. So try a few and see what you like.

PeteNutButter
2018-01-05, 12:13 AM
Don't worry too much about level 1 builds in League. You can rebuild between sessions any time before you hit level 5. So try a few and see what you like.

I came here to say this. This best level 1 paladin is probably either a cleric or a fighter as both of those classes have stronger level 1s. My level one characters are human variant life clerics with HAM and 16s in str con and wis.

*If your playing a starter adventure you can get away with anything, but if you are jumping into a party that spreads across tier one, in an adventure balanced for level 3-4 characters, monsters made to challenge level 4 characters can easily kill a level one. That’s when you roll in as a cleric for one level.

Klorox
2018-01-05, 06:23 AM
Great weapon fighting really increases your damage, which you can do as a variant human. Half elf gives better stats, but no feat.

I suppose at level 1, half elf is better. How far do you plan on going though?

SirGraystone
2018-01-05, 08:58 AM
What build you choose always depend of the role you want to play. If you want to kill stuff go for greatsword and the great weapon fighting style at level 2. Want to tank and hold the line, go sword and shield and take the defense fighting style (chain +shield +defense will give you AC19 at 2nd level).

Specter
2018-01-05, 10:04 AM
The only downside of DEX Paladin over STR is a tougher multiclass. If you're planning on multiclassing, go STR, otherwise feel free.

Snowbluff
2018-01-05, 11:22 AM
The only downside of DEX Paladin over STR is a tougher multiclass. If you're planning on multiclassing, go STR, otherwise feel free.
That does tear it. Paladin is at most 11 levels long. I would say max out at six. Then go sorc or bard.

Everstar
2018-01-05, 12:03 PM
Paladin 7 is also a good stopping point to MC if you take Oath of the Ancients. That ability can be pretty powerful depending on your campaign.

Willie the Duck
2018-01-05, 12:21 PM
Paladin 7 is also a good stopping point to MC if you take Oath of the Ancients. That ability can be pretty powerful depending on your campaign.

And the ASI at 8th is pretty good. And if you are a vengeance paladin waiting around for 3rd level spells (haste, and the fact that you get them at level 9 and not level 5of your MC + however long you stayed in paladin) is not bad, and why not stick around for improved divine smite? And if so, why not grab the ASI at 12th?

I know MCing is very popular with the paladin (the double speed spell slot advancement and the smites it powers is just tasty if nova-ing is a good idea in your games), but the designers did a good job of making any given time to duck out an opportunity-cost.

OldTrees1
2018-01-05, 12:50 PM
That does tear it. Paladin is at most 11 levels long. I would say max out at six. Then go sorc or bard.

Remember that it is much harder to find a Tier 3 or Tier 4 game in AL than in a home game (the hardcovers are the best chance and they generally stop in Tier 2 - Tier 3). So while 10th level is a bit lackluster, a straight Paladin will do just fine in AL.

This is not to detract from your advice about multiclassing, but the issues with AL Paladin 1-X are less severe than with Paladin 1-20.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-05, 01:07 PM
Being able to start with PAM or GWM makes variant humans the best starting race for martial characters that can use them. Because of these feats, a paladin looking to increase his damage (and you should) ought focus on strength over dexterity.

Even if you want to focus on tanking, strength lets you hit a higher AC with just a fifteen point investment. That allows you to pick up other beneficial features like shield mastery, resilient wisdom, and heavy armor master. So, once again, strength is better.

You can't paladin smite with ranged attacks and you don't gain access to TWF. That means that strength will give you bigger damage numbers. So, once again, strength is the winner.

Paladins should focus strength.

sithlordnergal
2018-01-05, 01:53 PM
I would go strength over dex if you plan to multiclass. And really, you only need a 16-18 strength, especially if you multiclass. As for the race, I'd go variant human and snag Sentinel, and go for defense fighting dtyle

Snowbluff
2018-01-05, 02:09 PM
I would go strength over dex if you plan to multiclass. And really, you only need a 16-18 strength, especially if you multiclass. As for the race, I'd go variant human and snag Sentinel, and go for defense fighting dtyle

Don't both of those use your reaction? I wouldn't take both.

OldTrees1
2018-01-05, 04:22 PM
Don't both of those use your reaction? I wouldn't take both.

No, defense is the +1 AC. protection is the fighting style that uses your reaction.

That said, I am enjoying my AL Protection style Shield Master Paladin (Cha based and multiclassed in my case so not relevant to the OP's question).

strangebloke
2018-01-05, 04:43 PM
vHuman paladin.

HAM: be unkillable for like 3 levels.
PAM: Three attacks a round for 2d6 + 1d4 + 9 damage and have +2 AC.
GWM: 2d6 + 13 (*2 if you drop an enemy)

Personally I would take PAM. It scales better than HAM. GWM makes you deal lots of damage, but AC is important at this level, which makes GWM less appealing on two fronts. (harder to hit with -5, having better AC is more important.)

Khrysaes
2018-01-05, 06:35 PM
Someone probably already said this, but I didnt want to read ALL the posts.

If you multiclass into hexblade, for 1-more levels, you can get CHA as your to-hit and damage stat, in lieu of STR or DEX.

for Heavy armor then, all you need is the requisite STR or be a Dwarf.