PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight / dragon sorcerer mc?

Spacehamster
2018-01-05, 02:10 AM
Could be fun with 7 ek, rest sorcerer. Pick up mobile feat and then quicken booming blade hit one guy with it, cast booming blade on your action on another enemy and then action surge and booming a 3rd guy then just walk off triggering booming extra damage if they try to follow? Also if you Bb the same mob 3 times does the rider trigger just once or 3 times?

Arkhios
2018-01-05, 02:59 AM
Also if you Bb the same mob 3 times does the rider trigger just once or 3 times?

Interesting question. I believe only the most recent instance applies on each target, unless 3 different persons used bb on the same target, then maybe all go off at once?

Spacehamster
2018-01-05, 03:10 AM
Interesting question. I believe only the most recent instance applies on each target, unless 3 different persons used bb on the same target, then maybe all go off at once?

When I DM I would probably let bb from the same round stack just cause it would be pretty cool to have the mob pretty much blow up in a loud crackling bang when he moves. :D

BobZan
2018-01-05, 07:50 AM
I think they all apply.

Why EK 7 if you are quickening your cantrip? I think the Sorcerer or Sorlock would be able to do that. Twin BB + Quicken GFB. And move.

Spacehamster
2018-01-05, 07:59 AM
I think they all apply.

Why EK 7 if you are quickening your cantrip? I think the Sorcerer or Sorlock would be able to do that. Twin BB + Quicken GFB. And move.

Cus resources run out sooner or later and then you can cantrip plus bonus attack all day every day? :)

Spacehamster
2018-01-05, 08:11 AM
If spells are not as important 8 ek, 2 Paladin and 10 dragon sorc would be pretty good too.

BobZan
2018-01-05, 08:38 AM
You didn't mention that on OP.

EK 7/HB 2 with Crossbow Expert, you can EB + Bonus Attack. Nice interaction aswell.

SaladSpinner
2018-01-05, 10:07 AM
If spells are not as important 8 ek, 2 Paladin and 10 dragon sorc would be pretty good too.

I'm having a lot of fun with a similar build - 11 EK / 7 Sorc / 2 Paladin.
11 levels of EK gets you your third attack + Eldritch Strike
7 levels of Sorc gets you Hold Monster
2 levels of Paladin for the smites

Just about to hit level 18. Up until now I've been walking around with heavy armor, shield & deep slots for Shield spell. Standard attack is a twinned booming blade + free attack from War Magic.

This level I'll be able to do a nova round: hit once, bonus action Hold Monster (save at disadvantage), hit twice more (auto-critting on hits), then Action Surge for another 3 hits. Taking the Paladin levels last - Smite will make for a juicy capstone.

Edit: Hold Monster is 5th lvl (thanks BobZan), this particular tactic is out I guess...

BobZan
2018-01-05, 11:13 AM
Hold Monster is a 5th level spell, need Sorc 9

SaladSpinner
2018-01-05, 12:16 PM
Fair point. D'oh.

Citan
2018-01-07, 07:10 AM
Could be fun with 7 ek, rest sorcerer. Pick up mobile feat and then quicken booming blade hit one guy with it, cast booming blade on your action on another enemy and then action surge and booming a 3rd guy then just walk off triggering booming extra damage if they try to follow? Also if you Bb the same mob 3 times does the rider trigger just once or 3 times?
Hi!
Personally I'd definitely go Eldricht Knight up to 11 really, ESPECIALLY with Sorcerer. :)
Reasoning behind...
1. Eldricht Strike is like Heightened, except cheaper (weapon attack vs 3 sp) and better (can affect up to 2-3-4 creatures -or twice with Action Surge-), although it does require a turn of preparation if you use Action Surge to "prepare" more targets".
Otherwise, it's the most deadly debuff tactic you could use (barring Arcane Trickster, who can Hide as bonus action to enable Magical Ambush, which is even better in nearly all aspects as long as you can actually hide).
2. In longer days, you will run out of spells eventually. Booming Blade + weapon attack can be great, but having the option of making 4 attacks (TWF) is nice too. ;)
3. You get enough interesting spells to learn in evocation and abjuration to make it work without being like "aaw, I have to learn a wizard spell yet again as EK, but I don't see any worth it with a low INT").
4. Sorcerer has many great high level spells, but he also gets many low-level ones that a) can scale (like Hold Person/Monster?) b) can change a fight (like Slow, Hypnotic Pattern, Fear), even in high level encounters, provided of course you don't fight only creatures with Legendary Resistances (although one could argue you can at least make them burn one, which is always a good thing).

As for your question...
"Also if you Bb the same mob 3 times does the rider trigger just once or 3 times?"
Answer is, it depends. :=)
Booming Blade secondary effect triggers as long as, and as soon as, the enemy moves (willingly per Sage Advice, although by RAW it would trigger even on a forced move XD), and immediately ends the spell hereafter.

However, one (quite necessary) clarification has been made about spells: you cannot stack effects of spells having the same name, whether they come from different source or not.

From here it's simple.
If you make all three Booming Blade during your same turn, there is little chance the enemy moves willingly during that time, so only the latest Booming Blade will "stick".
If however you have Warcaster and...
- During your turn, you use Booming Blade.
- On creature's turn, it starts moving thus triggering the effect, taking damage and ending spell.
- Then it moves out of your reach and triggers an OA, which you use to hit it with another Booming Blade.
- Then if it continues moving, it will take another instance of damage (because, since the BB n°1 ended beforehand, there is no stacking, just nicely timed chain of events).

Now, the only way I can see anyone pulling three Booming Blade with each triggering rider (provided you hit with all your weapon attacks and enemy fails save), without any ally's help, would be...
1. Action Surge Booming Blade (BB-1): first rider.
2. Quickened Dissonant Whispers:
- enemy must use all its speed to get away from you. So he starts moving, triggers BB-1 rider, BB-1 ends.
- enemy reaches the "moves out of reach" perimeter line, triggering OA.
- you use your reaction to apply another Booming Blade (BB-2).
- because enemy is still under the effect of Dissonant Whispers, that states that he MUST uses ALL HIS SPEED to move away, he has no other choice than to continue. Thus triggering BB-2 rider, ending BB-2.
3. Action Booming Blade: you hit it with a third Booming Blade (BB-3). It's now up to him to move or not.

Note that if your DM wants to make the most RAW read of BB without taking official correction (whatever source movement is, it triggers), then...
- Battlemaster would be actually better than Eldricht Knight: just use the Manoeuver that pushes it away. XD
- Tempest Cleric 6 and Elemental Weapon any way you get it would be extremely deadly, since Tempest 6 gives you feature to push away enemy when dealing lightning damage. ^^
(Honestly though, I don't think most DMs would allow it, unless everyone agrees on a high-power campaign).

MrStabby
2018-01-07, 02:26 PM
When i did it I just went EK6 Sorcerer X.

I have to say it was brutal. Quickened spell followed by an attack was simply superb. This was before SCAG was released so no booming blade or anything there. Now I suspect it is even better - new cantrips, new spells, and the divine soul archetype adds a new level of awesome to the combination.

Vaz
2018-01-07, 04:29 PM
Booming Blade would only have one effect. Afb, but stacking effects only have one effect.