PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest multiclass you ever played

Quoxis
2018-01-05, 05:15 AM
Everyone knows the Sorcadin, the Eldritch Knizard, with Xanathar's Guide out (probably also before, but now it's even more popular) also the Sorlock and Warladin... That's not what this thread is about.

My question is simple:

What's the weirdest, most counterintuitive (or maybe even unoptimized), making-Petenutbutter*-roll-in-his-proverbial-grave-est multiclass character you've played yet?
Furthermore: Why did you build the character? Munchkinism (which i don't disapprove of, btw.), flavor, having a certain theme in mind that just couldn't be done with a "normal" character?

*for those who don't know what i'm referring to, read his ultimate optimizer's multiclassing guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide)

Quoxis
2018-01-05, 05:34 AM
I'll start off with two favorites of mine:

Monkbarian

A one-shot character i built waaay before Xanathar's guide was released, even before the drunken master monk was written in a UA, this was meant to emulate just that: a martial artist who, when inebriated (i know that the original martial arts style didn't really rely on drinking...) gets stronger.
The build is open hand monk 5/barbarian 2 (played at lvl 7, if we went higher i would've gotten another level of barb to get the bear totem), with the twist of him being a str monk. Doing so, he had up to 4 attacks per round (all with advantage by attacking recklessly) to each of which he could add rage drunken fist damage, and he shrugged off most blows due to his lessened pain reception.
I made him a hill dwarf with the city guard background who got "too old for this ****" and retired, joined a monastery where beer and liquor were being brewed to perfection, and after a while he picked up both a taste for strong booze and some martial arts.

Druidlock

This one i played over the course of a few months until his tragic death... May he have joined the wild spirits.
The build was goo warlock 2/land druid 5, and i'd have built him up to warlock 5 or 6. The goals to making this character were both having a spellcaster who can regain lots of slots on a short rest (i hate the reliance on long rests on casters) and a character that was tied to nature, but mad as a hatter. Lots of control spells and the ability to communicate with animals at will ("beast speech" invocation) were nice, too.
The fluff of the character was that he grew up in a cult to something none of the cultists really understood, but revered as the wild spirit, the original being, the chaos inherent in all natural things - a not further defined great old one - and the cult being originally a secluded commune of lesser druids who went mad by its influence. One day, when he returned, his cult was gone, and so he wandered off too, unknowing of whether he was searching for them or just strolling around out of boredom.

Rogerdodger557
2018-01-05, 07:19 AM
Well, I have a triple multiclass if that counts.

Battle Master Fighter 5/Swashbuckler Rogue 4/ Fiendlock 1
This was an AL character that I took through the season 4(Curse of Strahd) modules, where he ended at level 9. Went on to play him for White Plume Moluntain. He got to the final fight with the two ifreet and got planeshifted to the Nine Hells. In Al play, there is a way for non-casters or people with means of interdimension travel to make it back(50 Downtime Days), but I wanted more flavor. So when he reappeared at the tavern, I described him as having new scars, a few burn marks, and a red leather eyepatch(skinned from a fiend). So when he leveled up next, I was either going to Fighter 6 and take Magic Initiate(Warlock), or start taking warlock. Decided to say screw it and took my 3rd class.

ImproperJustice
2018-01-05, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately I have not played him yet, which disqualifies him, but I do have a Fighter/Bard/Cleric/Wizard/Rogue waiting in the wings to be played at a future juncture.

Has like 11 cantrips at his disposal and can be the master of minor tasks and rituals.

ChainsawFlwrcld
2018-01-05, 10:37 AM
1st Edition Bard.

To qualify you had to level up to a 5th level Fighter then 5th level Rogue, then 5th level Druid. Then you were a 1st level Bard. They were not worth the trouble. lol

solidork
2018-01-05, 10:41 AM
I'm currently playing an Eldritch Knight/Celestial Tomelock. I wanted a magical detective with a more martial bent. Paladin didn't fit with the backstory and Rogue didn't work well with Shillelagh. I took Observant in order to make me actually decent at noticing stuff like a detective should be. Its a utility build to be sure, but I'm happy with it so far.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-05, 10:46 AM
Was back in 2E, but I used to love my Ranger/Mage. Was an odd combo even back then, and in 5E, it would be somewhat MAD. But I could see leaving Wis at 13, and going Ranger 3/Bladesinger or Warwizard X and doing okay.

Naanomi
2018-01-05, 10:47 AM
I have played a warlock/Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer before; but it wasn’t that ‘unusual’ in play...

I’ve also done a Barbarian X/Rogue 3 (not the normal mix); and a rogue 2/Druid X...

Someone at my table did a Monk/Rogue/Warlock which worked ok

PeteNutButter
2018-01-05, 04:19 PM
Everyone knows the Sorcadin, the Eldritch Knizard, with Xanathar's Guide out (probably also before, but now it's even more popular) also the Sorlock and Warladin... That's not what this thread is about.

My question is simple:

What's the weirdest, most counterintuitive (or maybe even unoptimized), making-Petenutbutter*-roll-in-his-proverbial-grave-est multiclass character you've played yet?
Furthermore: Why did you build the character? Munchkinism (which i don't disapprove of, btw.), flavor, having a certain theme in mind that just couldn't be done with a "normal" character?

*for those who don't know what i'm referring to, read his ultimate optimizer's multiclassing guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide)

*Rolls-over-in...-chair* I am still alive, but working on my lichdom.

I've had a lot of goofy characters.
-My barbarian 1/monk 7 is very optimized as a Tortle. He puts out tons of damage and is tanky.
-My Scourge Aasimar Cleric 5/Sorcerer 4 would stand in the middle of enemies with his racial AoE damage and spirit guardians going, using shield spell to keep his AC silly.
-My Goliath grappler Bard 6/Sorcerer 1/Warlock 1 never thought he'd see past level 6 (campaign was nearly over) so just started grabbing 1 level dips for early goodness (shield spell, short rest slot). He managed to break most fights by grappling foes and dragging them in and out of 8d4 clouds of daggers putting out 16d4 damage a round with his movement.
-One of my favorite characters to play in AL at level 3 is a life cleric/warlock, so I can spam healing spells with short rests.
-I've tried a ton of low level builds out, since you can freely change characters pre-level 5 in AL. Heavy armor Fighter 1/Monk 3; Cleric 1/Monk 3; DWing Barb 2/Fighter 1; Rage Smiting Barbarian 1/Paladin 3; DWing Barb 1/Ranger 2; PAM Cleric 1/Ranger 2; Barb 1/Warlock 2; Paladin 2/Bard 1 and many many more. I use my tier 1 AL characters to play test the viability of various multiclasses in tier 1, rebuilding between every session up to level 5. Most of these characters end up rebuilt to a single classed character for a whole level at level 5, before taking a MC level at level 6.
-The only things I know I haven't tried in tier 1 is anything on my guide that is RED. I've certainly tried several purples. Most of them you can make work. I can safely say, I don't think I've ever brought down the team with a goofy build. In fact, many helped carry the team to victory. Maybe I should make a point to try a RED MC character.... :smalleek:

lunaticfringe
2018-01-05, 04:32 PM
I have played a Druidlock. I also have a 'guest star' Ancients Pal/Frenzied Berserker I have a lot of fun with.

Not sure how I would break up the levels on a Zerkadin if I was playing a standard campaign, I came in late so it wasn't a huge deal.

qube
2018-01-05, 04:48 PM
my weirdest multiclass? 7 classes over 10 levels

polymphus
2018-01-05, 04:57 PM
Monk 11/Barbarian 8/Rogue 1

VHuman with the Grappler feat. Expertise in Athletics and Performance. His name is Dane "the Boulder" John-Stone and his Elbow of the People is feared by villains all over Faerun.

Quoxis
2018-01-05, 05:21 PM
*Rolls-over-in...-chair* I am still alive, but working on my lichdom.

I sure hope so, and i feel honored you answered. I‘m a little bit too giddy for comfort over it, actually.

EdenIndustries
2018-01-05, 08:17 PM
I've played this crazy multiclass that I created a thread about a while back: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526665-Ultimate-Dice-Manipulator-(character-concept)

Just about to hit level 5, so still not too far into it. I started Protection Cleric 1, did 2 levels of Diviner Wizard, and 1 level of Sorc so far. Even though the dice manipulation has a long way to go, tossing out disadvantage like candy and using Portent for important rolls has been great so far!

MxKit
2018-01-05, 09:26 PM
Haven't played her yet, but going to in my upcoming lv15 campaign if the DM lets me do one specific thing that doesn't work RAW:

Sadek Ilphelkiir. A half-elf, and a Shepherd Druid/Warlock of the Great Old One, with the Pact of the Blade. Starts out with a 10/5 split, will probably go 14/6 by the end. Starting stats:

STR: 9
DEX: 16
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 18
CHA: 14

She has Ritual Caster, and grabbed find familiar with it, and has a spider familiar. She has the infestation cantrip and the Cloak of Flies invocation. I'm going to ask my DM if he'll allow me to use conjure animals to conjure swarms of insects of the appropriate CR. I don't even want this for power reasons, it wouldn't be the most optimal choice, but flavor-wise I want her to be just crawling with flies, with a spider on her shoulder and four swarms of beetles/centipedes/wasps heading for the enemy while she covers them with mites and fleas and wades forward to smack them with her sword and let her flies chew on them.

So much of this is far from optimized, from stats to the cantrip to having Pact of the Blade with the GOO patron... I just want a mental image that will make enemies scream. And then they can get wasps in their mouths.

I also want to play a Bardbarian someday. :( I want to real bad. And a Drunken Master/Lore Bard or Drunken Master/Satire Bard...

Snowbluff
2018-01-05, 09:28 PM
my weirdest multiclass? 7 classes over 10 levels

I mean, I'm going to do it eventually. How do?

Anyway, I made a Paladin2/Bladesinger Wizard8 in AL. His stats are awful but at least he has a couple of ASI so he's not so screwed up anymore. His Staff of Power is good for hitting people for smite or blowing them up.

Ventruenox
2018-01-05, 09:37 PM
Tiefling Draconic Sorc 1/GOOlock 4/Homebrewed Artificer 4 with a Pirate background.

The mixture of class features turned him into a psychic spellblade uber-warlock. He could outsmite a Paladin, had more mobility than the monk, and was trickier than the rogue. He was also quite a jerk to NPCs. While he didn't die, I retired him after being petrified by a Beholder.

odigity
2018-01-06, 04:30 AM
Anyone here familiar with Driebus Beestinger?

Aaron Underhand
2018-01-06, 08:44 AM
vHuman Bard 4/Wizard 1 with the healer feat... The party needed both a healer, support and to fill a gap in arcane magic. Great flexibility, and has a couple of items to help with damage output (circlet of blasting and pearl of power for another upcast shatter a day) His damage output will be fine once he reaches Bard 6/Wizard 1 and gets fireball, in the meantime all the party loves a healer and he generally makes himself useful....

bookworm2692
2018-08-15, 12:09 AM
I didn't play this, but my cousin did. We rolled for stats, and after racial bonuses his lowest stat was a 14. I think he had at least two 18s. (Another player at the table meanwhile had three single digits after rolling, and the dm didn't let us reroll. Average of these two scores was one normal set of scores). My cousin decided to multiclass one level of every class. Varient human with the Lucky feat. It was incredible, and actually worked surprisingly well. He started with Paladin, and ended with Monk, even though it literally gave him nothing at that point. It was a beautiful amalgamation of every class, and I'm so glad the campaign ended at 12th level. He had no action surge, no divine smite, no ASI's, only first level spells and cantrips, but it actually worked? It really shows that in 5e anything is possible, and the worst multiclass combo you can think of will probably work better than you expect. I loved it

DarkKnightJin
2018-08-15, 03:12 AM
Weirdest Multiclass.. The Paladin 2/Celestial Warlock 2 I got to play for 1 session probably dooesn't count.

Then I suppose the honor falls to my Eldritch Knight 4/GOOlock 1. With a Cha score of 8.
He got the Warlock level through story reasons, and with DM approval.
He's a lot of fun to play, especially as I have him going slightly mad with this new knowledge he has.
And I suppose gettting his mitts on an 'old school' Ring of Sustenance that allows him to sleep for only 2 hours per night probably isn't helping his sanity, either.

Arkhios
2018-08-15, 03:33 AM
Haven't got there yet, but I'm seriously planning to make my Ancients Paladin multiclass into "War Wizard" :P

I already have proficiency in Arcana via human bonus skill, and I've been throwing out the information that I'm more than willing to craft magic items, for myself and for the entire group should they want them. With Xanathar's Guide to Everything and the rules to craft magic items that came within, all it takes is being proficient in Arcana and obtaining appropriate plans and maybe some exotic materials (which are great adventure hooks by the way!) - and of course the time spent in crafting once all is otherwise ready.

Anyway, to add more context to how silly this idea is: my stats are, as of now, str 18, dex 9, con 16, int 11, wis 10, cha 16 - so yes, I'm going to bump my int by one full ASI before I can take my first level in wizard. But here's the fun part: I can craft Headband of Intellect for myself and boom, I'll have Intelligence 19 as long as I wear it! So, the character's inherent intelligence is enough for multiclass and the headband makes it all quite worth the trouble, regarding spell saves.

MeimuHakurei
2018-08-15, 03:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCIh_3b5K8

relevant

MrStabby
2018-08-15, 06:06 AM
Paladin/Rogue/Warlock is probably the weirdest I have done for an extended period. Still not very odd.

Playing an inquisitor hunting down enemies of the faith: Paladin 5 for some martial power, ability to smite the wicked, zone of truth - rogue 2 for some expertise and more combat flexibility through cunning action. Warlock 2 with hexblade to take the edge off the MAD and to give me invocations like eyes of the runekeeper and so on. Very good fun but we started at level 6 which made the first steps a lot less painful.

I have done ranger/warlock which I do want to revisit for a longer campaign.

mgshamster
2018-08-15, 07:13 AM
Level 6:

Bard 1, Cleric (Arcana) 1, Druid (Shepherd) 2, Sorcerer (Draconic) 1, Wizard 1.

Demonslayer666
2018-08-15, 03:22 PM
Going to play a Bard Barbarian.

Should be interesting.

JeffreyGator
2018-08-15, 03:38 PM
In third edition I played a toon that was 4 rgr / 3 druid / 3 bard with prestige levels in Arcane archer and Deepwood Sniper that was planning to add Geomancer and harper priest levels.

This toon was also a nixie and so there was lots of weird stuff going on.

Citan
2018-08-15, 04:36 PM
Hi ;)
Thanks for interesting thread. ^^

One multiclass I'd like to play

Lucius the Studious, known for looking overall like an "average +" guy, reknown for his ability to quickly learn new languages and being extremely curious about everything.

Not much time to really set up the background, but the idea is basically a character that has some innate magic spurting out of him (Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 with Shield and Comprehend Languages) that he could never master or develop because of total lack of control one oneself, due to the combination of emotional hypersensitivity and complete absence of empathy or attention to surroundings resulting of just bad luck on genes for the former, and martial tribal education for the latter (Barbarian 1->2-5).
Banned from his native clan because of that (not good enough as a warrior, plus magic being frowned upon as "bad"), he decides to instead try and develop intellect to both learn more reliable forms of magic and learn to control his emotions (Wizard 1->2+, any school).

With 3 stats required for multiclass and anti-synergizing features (magic/rage), I think it would be very fun to juggle with.
It's not even bad actually: you get proficiency in Constitution, many cantrips and spells you can use out of combat, perma advantage on DEX saves soon after. And you can use Reckless Attack at will too, to pair with Expeditious Retreat when out of rage, so having a lowishg attack stat is not the end of the world.

MaxWilson
2018-08-15, 04:48 PM
It's not even bad actually: you get proficiency in Constitution, many cantrips and spells you can use out of combat, perma advantage on DEX saves soon after. And you can use Reckless Attack at will too, to pair with Expeditious Retreat when out of rage, so having a lowishg attack stat is not the end of the world.

I can see the value of Zephyr Strike with Reckless Attack, but since Expeditious Retreat doesn't protect against opportunity attacks, and Reckless Attack requires melee strikes, the synergy is limited. You'll have to use a reach weapon like a polearm to benefit from this combo.

Citan
2018-08-15, 05:32 PM
I can see the value of Zephyr Strike with Reckless Attack, but since Expeditious Retreat doesn't protect against opportunity attacks, and Reckless Attack requires melee strikes, the synergy is limited. You'll have to use a reach weapon like a polearm to benefit from this combo.
Very true. I'm so used to kiting with Mobile feat on characters I forget it's not actually a standard thing. XD
Well, I guess this should be top priority on leveling character then. ^^

Particle_Man
2018-08-15, 06:02 PM
I guess for weirdest ever it would be (if memory serves) a 3.5 dwarven fighter/paladin/monk (the latter for the saving throws!) who was basically optimized for AC . . . against the party's own frenzied berserker. The idea was that the FB kills all the bad guys, the party runs away, I am slow so I stay close enough that the FB goes after me and not the squishier members of the party. It mostly worked although at times I was one critical hit away from making an awkward massive damage save.

In 1st edition, I did play a half-elf cleric/fighter/magic-user (pre-unearthed arcana). :smallcool:

I haven't multi-classed in 5th though.

Davrix
2018-08-15, 07:45 PM
Actually Just started this character this week.

Druid Necromancer with proficiency in Smith tools and worships the Raven queen :) Probably taking at least one level in cleric of the grave later on.

Afrodactyl
2018-08-15, 08:44 PM
I had a land druid/fey chainlock multiclass a while back that was a crazy old hermit who unknowingly pledged his soul to Queen Titania whilst doing his druidy stuff.

He fully believed that his sprite familiar was his patron, and would consult the familiar before doing anything that they may approve/disapprove of.

Kane0
2018-08-15, 08:47 PM
Elf Sorc/Wiz
Goliath Fighter/Monk
Winged Tiefling Sun Monk/Light Cleric
Halfling Barbarian/Ranger

All of them were a lot more fun than I originally thought.

dragoeniex
2018-08-15, 10:24 PM
Tranquility monk 3/vengeance paladin 3 scourge Aasimar - DM wanted a few-session run where players came in as half one thing, half something else. Decided to go with two classes I'd never played, and so the divine monkadin came to be.

She was played as one of a pair who were blessed with celestial powers, told her half of that was a destiny of healing and compassion.

She responded to this by becoming a ring/frontline fighter who used her pool of 66 hp almost exclusively as self-CPR with flurry of blows, becoming a bursty tank wrecking monsters with punches of divine power. Optimal? Prrrobably not. Fun?

Every time she crit, she blew a dinosaur up with her fist.

Luccan
2018-08-15, 11:35 PM
In 3.5 I had a half-elven ranger/druid/bard. Didn't get very far with it, but the idea had been to do a skald/gandalf double act with his adoptive brother, the other player, a half-orc barbarian/druid/bard.

Lonely Tylenol
2018-08-15, 11:52 PM
My weirdest multiclass build probably isn’t all that weird: it’s the “proficiency in all skills” multiclass of Rogue/Knowledge Cleric/Lore Bard/Warlock. I played it before a lot of the content that makes it better was published, when a Ranger dip was expected to hit all proficiencies the quickest, but when Scout Rogue was first released in UA, I pivoted away from the Ranger dip and went Scout 3. (Before that, I was probably going Arcane Trickster.)

I got that character from level 1 to level 10 (non-AL obviously; we did use AL rules, but also playtest material), and he personally saved a fey princess from the brink of death, after which he made a pact with her to enter, entering into the Warlock levels. I retired the character having achieved everything he set out to do, and have been asked to cameo him in other campaigns the DM runs in that same setting.

Derpldorf
2018-08-17, 01:17 AM
I played a Barbarian/Arcane Trickster/GOOlock in a mostly intruigue/social game. I played the whole dim bulb noble savage shtick and only did the standard Barbarian hit it with an axe thing in combat. Had the party fooled that I was a pure Barbarian until I screwed up in the twelveth session and they followed me out of an inn one night and caught me going all Cthulhu Fhatagn on a bum. Turn out that all along, the serial killer we were chasing was me! Dio!

Mongrel
2018-08-17, 02:10 AM
The ones that come to mind for me:

In a current 5e game I'm playing I've got a dragonborn character who started as a rogue, took a level of fighter for second wind (low magic setting and no healers in the initial party), and is about to take some levels of warlock (Hexblade and eventually blade pact). I'm adding in the warlock partially because I like the anesthetic and role play opportunities and partly because I like what it means for the character; he's always been super distrustful of spellcasters, so becoming one himself should pose some interesting questions. Also, there are actually some decent interactions. Darkness + Devil's Sight = free sneak attack against almost everything, and I intend to eventually get level 3 fighter for the Brute archetype, which adds damage to every hit. He's a dual wielder, and with the invocation that let's you double attack with your pact weapon that's 3 attacks that might be getting bonus damage from that ability. Plus, the Shadow Blade spell is pretty great for a rogue.

Another character I had was a 3.5e kobold. He started at level 1 as a chaotic good sorcerer, his backstory being that he was from a tribe of kobolds who worshipped a silver dragon. They were all mostly lawful good and weren't too fond of his chaotic nature, so they told them he was the "chosen one" and sent him away. I fully expected him to die off quickly, and he did drop almost every fight the first few levels, but never actually died. Eventually, he stole some of Obad-Hai's "god water" from a cult that was trying to use it in some nasty ritual. The cultists discovered the theft, but rather than give the water back he chugged it. It ended up turning him into a half dragon, which was a turning point in his life. He started worshipping Obad-Hai and took some levels of Druid (even though his wisdom was only like 13). He even naturally shifted in alignment to neutral good. Eventually he became an arcane heirophant (a sorcerer/Druid prestige class). Very fun campaign.

Finally, in another 3.5e game, I played a tiefling fighter/ranger/warlock. He was basically a gish, and he was built specifically towards the Acolyte of the Skin prestige class. It was from the Book of Vile Darkness, and was clearly not really intended for players (though it wasn't terribly op or anything). At first level, it granted the ability to transform into a specific humanoid creature pretty much indefinitely by skinning them and wearing their skin. Needless to say, it was an evil party. Sadly, the game ended one level before I could take that class, lol.

Also, I don't know if this necessarily counts (especially since I haven't actually played it yet), but an idea that's been bouncing around in my head is a monk/bard "dancer" character. It seems like a perfect fit aesthetically.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-08-17, 03:43 AM
My current character is a Blood Hunter/Wizard.

I had planned to go full Blood Hunter but we ran into a Tressym and I needed to make it my familiar. Now instead of an edgy intense martial DPS type of character I'm an edgy and intense Gish support type of character with a 4 winged cat familiar.

The character isn't even close to how I had planned it, derailed at level 2.

Astofel
2018-08-17, 06:36 AM
A while ago I got invited to a one-shot where the DM had us all create 3rd level characters ahead of time, and I made a high-elf diviner wizard. Then, on game night, he told all the players to roll a d12, and look down the class table. We now had to take two levels of whatever class corresponded to the number we rolled, regardless of whether we met the ability score requirements for multiclassing, although we were allowed to reallocate stats if we wanted. I rolled a 2, so that's how I ended up playing a wizard 3/bard 2. I remember basically nothing about how the session played out, but it was a fun idea for a session and I'm tempted to repeat it myself at some point in the future.

Willie the Duck
2018-08-17, 08:36 AM
1st Edition Bard.

To qualify you had to level up to a 5th level Fighter then 5th level Rogue, then 5th level Druid. Then you were a 1st level Bard. They were not worth the trouble. lol

Not quite, it was 5-7 levels of fighter, 5-8 levels of thief, and then you started studying under the tutelage of druids, but you immediately started leveling is a bard (no actual druid levels taken). You cast druid spells though. The whole thing was a hot mess, requiring Str15/Wis15/Dex15/Cha15/Int12/Con10, as well as being a human or half-elf (who couldn't use these 'dual class' rules to change classes after character creation... except apparently for this situation).

Anyways, for 5e, the weirdest I've done is a barbarian/wizard. The why (other than good rolls) was straightforward- Wildman discovers civilization and the benefits of technology (wizardly magic) and says, "I have got to get in on that action." :smallbiggrin:

Merethil
2018-08-17, 08:42 AM
Weirdest multiclass that I've played will probably be human fighter/sorcerer/black dragon disciple/eldritch knight (we restricted to PHB only) from my current Pathfinder game. Conceptually, this character is a greedy mercenary, who eventually discovers the actual reason behind her obsession with treasures, though a haven't reached that last part yet. I also want to surprise other players, so only DM currenlty knows about my plan.

DaveOfTheDead
2018-08-17, 11:48 AM
I'm usually a DM so this is my only multiclass.

Warbarian
I had a barbarian who, during watch, saw a raspberry sandwich constellation (random from the DM). My barbarian, being not too bright, latched onto that and told the party what he saw at night. He then kept seeing it and it spoke to him. He then foraged for raspberries and used them as war paint. When I multiclassed at level 4 (Barbarian 3/Warlock 1) I went with GOO patron, because the true form of the patron I did not know, but it offered me strength I've never had. I like being strong. And now I could damage from far away with EB? Sweet.

My favorite moment was at Cragmaw Castle in LMoP, I ran in the middle of a bunch of goblins and did Arms of Hadar. Out of 7 goblins, I killed 5 in one fell swoop. Unfortunately, the DM must've hated us because at the end boss fight #2 (yes, second end boss fight of the same people) he overpowered the enemies, gave them abilities they don't have via the book, didn't let us wake up our unconscious paladin, and had the nerve to say "We didn't prepare". RIP in piece Hogar.

stoutstien
2018-08-17, 04:43 PM
Half orc barb/pally. Smites work with rage and the new zealot mixes with in theme but mechanically it's a bugger to work with

Kane0
2018-08-17, 05:11 PM
Half orc barb/pally. Smites work with rage and the new zealot mixes with in theme but mechanically it's a bugger to work with

Seen this one too, DMing a group that took on Grak the Badass Orc, ‘enlightnened’ him with pally levels and made him their party mascot.

JDanton
2018-08-17, 08:16 PM
As the result of a set of insane, bizarre circumstances and character choices, my monk was killed by a fellow party member while trying to stop them mid ritual from becoming a lich and in doing so became a lich. That character became the main villain of the campaign for a while, destroying numerous kingdoms, killing thousands and making an undead army and conquering half the world and almost destroying it before being having their sanity and soul restored with a wish. I then got to resume control of that character only they had reclassed from way of the drunken master to way of the long death however they still maintained some of their lich power so the character was essentially a long death lich hybrid class. What this meant was that I could go around the battlefield draining people's life force when I killed them as a monk of the long death and then ressurecting them with my lich powers, twas broken as all hell but we were all OP by that point as it was the final chapter of the campaign and we needed all the power we could muster for the final boss, sadly my character died during the final battle but his sacrifice brought redemption for the sins he committed when he was a lich.

Vessyra
2018-08-19, 04:47 AM
Level 1 artificer (UA)/1 bard/1barbarian/1 cleric/1 druid/1 fighter/1 monk/1 mystic/1 paladin/1 ranger/1 rogue/1 sorcerer/1 warlock/1 wizard. Race: kobold. I also gave him 12 different personalties, and I would decide which one he was by rolling a d12 after each long rest. Out of all twelve, only one was sane.

A character I plan to play: monk 1/barbarian 2+. You dump wisdom and dex and use the monk unarmoured defence, but you max your constitution. Oh, and always use reckless attack.

The premise is that you refuse to use the cowardly tactics of the civilised folk (dodging), but it doesn't matter because you're almost impossible to kill.

Particle_Man
2018-08-19, 03:16 PM
Not quite, it was 5-7 levels of fighter, 5-8 levels of thief, and then you started studying under the tutelage of druids, but you immediately started leveling is a bard (no actual druid levels taken). You cast druid spells though. The whole thing was a hot mess, requiring Str15/Wis15/Dex15/Cha15/Int12/Con10, as well as being a human or half-elf (who couldn't use these 'dual class' rules to change classes after character creation... except apparently for this :

Also the 1st ed bard was mechanically awesome if you could be one. They have insanely high hit points and have all the Druid abilities, including shape change. They don’t get the sixth and seventh level Druid spells but otherwise, wow.

There is this weird “snob” rule about not associating with bards of a lower college. Puts the “no more than three rangers may work together” rule to shame. Then again it is unlikely one would ever have two bards in the same party anyhow.

qube
2018-08-19, 03:25 PM
I mean, I'm going to do it eventually. How do?back in the day of 3e and prestige classes, and lots of puzzling.

Samurai2/Fighter2/Monk1 with drunken master, ninja of the crescent moon, and 2 others prestige classes.

Tarinth
2018-08-31, 11:39 AM
5e LE Drow Trickster Cleric 2/ Rogue 2/ Lore Bard 7

I've built this up from level 1. It's terribly unoptimized from a numbers standpoint as my spell levels are painfully behind, I can't go nova, and my AC is only so so. Nobody in the group is a munchkin, and while they agree that I carry my weight, they still liked to tease me each time we leveled up. Recently, I popped their bubbles and pointed out that I could slaughter most of them in 1v1 pvp scenarios. They laughed until we did some theoretical test runs and found that raw combat power is often no substitute for tactics.

I smoked our 11th level necromancer wizard (who thought he was the baddest guy in the party) just by casting sleep at 5th level, summoning a bunch of elk, and then recasting sleep after each turn's episode of "when animals attack".

I slowly wrecked our 3 theif rogue/ 8 shadow monk in a methodical fight. We both went stealth mode, but I cast locate object on a piece of his gear so I could always find him, but he could never find me.

I destroyed our champion fighter simply because he was a melee build and I kept range on him and hid. It was a sad fight.

I managed to triumph over our 2 life cleric/ 9 lore bard (she's a BOSS) who's character and mine have a friendly rivalry. We always snipe at each other by saying "the party only needs one bard" whenever we do something cool or one up each other. I only won this one by hiding and using summon animals. She would probably smoke me if I used any other tactic. I felt cheap, but I won.

Finally, we arrive at the party's all star 11th level cleric. This is my worthy foe. With high level spells like heal and death ward, and most importantly the ability to find me when I'm invisible or hiding, I just can't keep up on offense or defense. Yeah, I lost this one. He is our party's MVP almost every session. Without his tanking and support, most BBEGs would cut us down like a scythe through hay. He's a great roleplayer to boot.

As we continue to level up, I'm sure more of them will surpass me in our theoretical fights, and truly optimized builds could easily destroy me, but I still wholeheartedly believe that interesting characters and good roleplaying produces a more rewarding gaming experience than munchkin builds.

Oramac
2018-08-31, 12:56 PM
Going to play a Bard Barbarian.

Should be interesting.

I've seen this played a couple times. It takes a little creativity, but actually works surprisingly well.

=================

My craziest MC was Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorc X.

Craziest in my party was Bard 3 / Divination Wizard X.

We were called the Lucky Misfits. It was a group of 5 of us, playing AL rules but starting at 5th level. We all played Halfling characters, and took Lucky for our first ASI.

Characters:

Bard 3 / Div Wizard 2
Tempest Cleric 2 / Div Wizard 3
3x Div Wizard 5

So with all that we had:

- Reroll all 1's (Halfling)
- 10 Portent Dice
- 15 Lucky Dice

Our DM HATED us.

Tarinth
2018-08-31, 05:38 PM
WOW Oramac, just wow. Did your DM refuse to give out inspiration since you already had all the rerolls you'd ever need? Did they cry in a corner at the end of every session? How did negating all of the save or get wrecked spells and effects that enemies commonly have change the way the DM crafted encounters? On that note, I guess all those same save or get ruined spells became very powerful for your PC casters as well. It' gets so rediculous when an entire party is commited to something like that.

GreyBlack
2018-08-31, 05:46 PM
Monk 2/Rogue 2/Druid 1. Unsure if I'm gonna dip into Barbarian 2 or not. Entire thing here it's literally grabbing so much speed.

Eragon123
2018-08-31, 05:51 PM
Monk 2/Rogue 2/Druid 1. Unsure if I'm gonna dip into Barbarian 2 or not. Entire thing here it's literally grabbing so much speed.

Your race is tabaxi right? lol

MaxWilson
2018-08-31, 06:15 PM
WOW Oramac, just wow. Did your DM refuse to give out inspiration since you already had all the rerolls you'd ever need? Did they cry in a corner at the end of every session? How did negating all of the save or get wrecked spells and effects that enemies commonly have change the way the DM crafted encounters?

It may not have had much impact at all. There's a limited number of Portent dice available after all, and Lucky is not useful offensively (and is mutually exclusive with Portent). Almost anything that would challenge a normal party would deplete Portent dice and Lucky dice just as readily as HP. The main impact would be that larger numbers of creatures would be favored over small numbers of tough creatures, but there are lots of things in 5E that fit that profile (paladin smiting, etc.) so the DM should already have had plenty of encounters with lots of weak creatures.

Xetheral
2018-09-01, 09:24 AM
I played a Warlock/Bard/Ranger in a one-shot. It was an Arcane Archer, just without the disappointing Fighter subclass of the same name. Used Eldritch Blast/Swift Quiver/Hordebreaker. Blasts and arrows were shot in pairs at the same targets, fluffed as shooting the arrow encased in the blast (mechanics were unchanged though).

Derpldorf
2018-09-01, 04:52 PM
Another interesting character I've played was an Arcane Cleric/Eldritch Knight played in the vein of a Red Mage from the final fantasy series. She would just roll around in her signature red cape and wide brimmed feathered hat. She would use a Rapier and Mage Armor but mostly preffered to keep distance and cast spells. Speaking of, they were mostly thunder, fire and ice attack spells on the EK side and Healing/Buffs on the AC side.

She had... adequate ability scores... at least for someone that had four important ones. Skill set was mostly RP based and thusly kinda janky.

Overall she was on the weaker side (at least in relation to the other party members) and the least flexible member of the party, but that was mostly because I deliberately set aside better options and stayed as true to the source material as possible. If I had the chance to play her again I would definitely diversify her spell book alot more.

Callak_Remier
2018-09-01, 08:21 PM
3.5 mind you.
Monk4/ Rokugan ninja6/Master of the Southwind 10.

Master of the Southwind was from Dragon magazine basically a look at what the elemental Monk in 5e turned into. Just with 4 variants

Hecuba
2018-09-02, 01:59 AM
I have a PC I use for various one-shot games named Syb Wynterale. I have him built at several levels, but the general tack is based on representing a precog - not just with divination spells, bug with rerolls and roll modifiers.

Most recently, it was for a level 17 game at gencon.

So, Wizard 5 (School of Divination) for Portent, Bard 4 for Bardic Inspiration/Jack of all Trades/Expertise, Sorcerer(Divine Soul) 1 for Favored by the Gods/Bless/Guidance, and Rogue 7 for uncanny dodge/ more expertise/evasion.
Also, the Lucky feat and the 2 halfling reroll feats.

Ogun
2018-09-03, 12:53 AM
Ninja
Cloistered Cleric
Paragnotsic Apostle
Contemplative
Divine Disciple

5(?) Domains, including Shadow, Rune and Spell.
Mounted archery on an undead flying mount.
Sneaky, perceptive and high AC

Darkness/Silence SWAT team tactics for the whole party.

All kinds of Movement/Buffing /Healing, but no blasting, so he hit like a relative featherweight by the time we got to the teen levels.

Feat that let me heal with negative energy, and a skin full of Black Sand(1d4 negative energy per round)

3.5 was flipping nutz....

Arkhios
2018-09-03, 02:02 AM
5(?) Domains, including Shadow, Rune and Spell.
Mounted archery on an undead flying mount.
Sneaky, perceptive and high AC

Doesn't sound like 5th edition. I'd hazard a guess it was Pathfinder more likely.
Mostly because in 5th, a cleric can only have one domain, and well, because afaik, there are no undead flying mounts in the game (though on this I'm not 100% sure).

Beelzebubba
2018-09-03, 02:31 AM
1st Edition Bard.

I've never met anyone in person that actually played one.

That's some serious old-school cred.

Ogun
2018-09-03, 09:45 AM
Doesn't sound like 5th edition. I'd hazard a guess it was Pathfinder more likely.
Mostly because in 5th, a cleric can only have one domain, and well, because afaik, there are no undead flying mounts in the game (though on this I'm not 100% sure).
Oh no, it was definitely that same 3.5 build .
The 5(?) was me not being sure how many Domains the character had.
3 from cloistered cleric, plus two more from prestige classes seems right.

Arkhios
2018-09-03, 10:19 AM
Oh no, it was definitely that same 3.5 build .
The 5(?) was me not being sure how many Domains the character had.
3 from cloistered cleric, plus two more from prestige classes seems right.

oh, right... sorry

gr8artist
2018-09-03, 12:02 PM
It was a 3.Pf campaign, but I had a Tiefling Paladin / Bloodrager (Barbarian/Sorc hybrid, celestial bloodline) that was actually a lot of fun.
I wanted to Rage and Smite simultaneously.
Bloodragers get a rage-like state with supernatural powers and no non-lawful restrictions. (Pf's Fighter archetype "Viking" gets rage at later levels, also without the restriction).
The DM (it was PbP here, but it's been a while) was really cool, working with me to fluff some stuff. I used a flying talon (like a spiked chain, but 1 handed) and a spiked shield for plenty of defense and crowd control. Didn't deal as much damage as other builds, but had pretty good reach, trip, disarm, and grapple checks. And would have dealt a lot of extra damage to evil outsiders and such. Even had glowing fire-ink tattoos to serve as holy symbols and light sources (turned "on" by rolling up my sleeves).
But yeah, Raging Paladin is probably the weirdest I've been able to justify.