PDA

View Full Version : What If? Surely not Parcheesi

Mad Humanist
2018-01-05, 05:34 AM
If the fate of the entire multiverse hung on your every action, which boardgame (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) would you play during downtime?

knag
2018-01-05, 10:01 AM
Monopoly, obviously. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1012.html)

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-05, 11:28 AM
Depends on who I'm playing with. Risk is a decent strategy trainer (you don't have to attack at every opportunity!), but something simpler like Candyland (or Parcheesi) is good for bleeding off stress.

If it's just fun, probably Settlers of Catan.

Euclidodese
2018-01-05, 11:57 AM
The game of kings: Ludo.

oonker
2018-01-05, 12:00 PM
If it is just for fun, to relax: Ticket to Ride
If the fate of the universe depends on me winning: Splendor

martianmister
2018-01-05, 12:21 PM
Guess Who?

Doctor West
2018-01-05, 12:47 PM
This forum goes strange places when there hasn't been an update for awhile. :smallconfused:

Jasdoif
2018-01-05, 01:17 PM
Cosmic Encounter.

Ornithologist
2018-01-05, 01:30 PM
There are multitudes. I would go anywhere from Quarriors, to Small World. on a more classic thought, I keep a Chess set with me regularly, so likely that.

PopeLinus1
2018-01-05, 02:04 PM
Not sure if it counts, but D&D. Heck if the world was in danger I would be playing it even if I didn’t have free time

brian 333
2018-01-05, 02:20 PM
Come on, guys, you know you'd roll up a character and play a session of Papers & Paychecks, a role playing game set in an urbanized, industrialized world with characters which are students and employees.

Except for my character: I want to play an Entrepreneur Class character who is like a priest of a god of monopolistic trade, but in this case his spells are made of money and political connections which he wields to force reality to conform to his desires.

oonker
2018-01-05, 03:54 PM
Come on, guys, you know you'd roll up a character and play a session of Papers & Paychecks, a role playing game set in an urbanized, industrialized world with characters which are students and employees.

Except for my character: I want to play an Entrepreneur Class character who is like a priest of a god of monopolistic trade, but in this case his spells are made of money and political connections which he wields to force reality to conform to his desires.

Naaah, this game's rules are too convoluted, there's no tutorial, the replayability is questionable and there's no consensus if the game plays with a Overlord or not (or many)...

In many different times I've seen players cheating the rules by using the spell "Money Yo". While there are players who thrive well using the Vow of Poverty variant rule, many others don't reap the few benefits there are to using this variant due to other players misbehaving.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-05, 05:23 PM

I have got into so much trouble at work for not liking monopoly, I wonder if there is a forum rule against not liking monopoly. If we were restricted to games mentioned in comic I would pick Jenga, but I also like poleconomy.

Depends on who I'm playing with. Risk is a decent strategy trainer (you don't have to attack at every opportunity!), but something simpler like Candyland (or Parcheesi) is good for bleeding off stress.

If it's just fun, probably Settlers of Catan.

I sort of missed the boat on Catan. I know it's a good game but I could not get into it from the few games I've played. Now it's expensive.

The game of kings: Ludo.

I am sure this is a reference to the fact that where we come from, Parcheesi is just called Ludo. So see the thread title.

If it is just for fun, to relax: Ticket to Ride
If the fate of the universe depends on me winning: Splendor

Ticket to Ride is good. I can't get anyone in my family to like it so it's not in our collection. I've not tried Splendor.

Cosmic Encounter.

I keep confusing this with Alien Frontiers. I want to get Alien Frontiers.

There are multitudes. I would go anywhere from Quarriors, to Small World. on a more classic thought, I keep a Chess set with me regularly, so likely that.

I love Small World.

Naaah, this game's rules are too convoluted, there's no tutorial, the replayability is questionable and there's no consensus if the game plays with a Overlord or not (or many)...

In many different times I've seen players cheating the rules by using the spell "Money Yo". While there are players who thrive well using the Vow of Poverty variant rule, many others don't reap the few benefits there are to using this variant due to other players misbehaving.

I think round here this game is marketed as "The Outside". It has its own subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/outside/) and everything.

RatElemental
2018-01-05, 05:37 PM
I absolutely love me some Mage Wars, but hardly ever have the chance to play, mostly for lack of opponents interested in the game.

KarlMarx
2018-01-05, 08:08 PM
Does Munchkin count?

The deluxe editions that my family insists on getting me as gifts uses a board...

And there's nothing like the pointless arguments of Munchkin to take your mind off of actual difficulties.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-06, 03:34 AM
Does Munchkin count?

The deluxe editions that my family insists on getting me as gifts uses a board...

And there's nothing like the pointless arguments of Munchkin to take your mind off of actual difficulties.

Of course Munchkin counts though personally I cannot stand that game. I'd happily play Illuminati from the same people though.

Riftwolf
2018-01-06, 06:41 AM
O-Chuls choice: Go. He played it during his downtime AND his actions influenced the fate of the universe at the same time. Now that's multitasking.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-06, 09:04 AM
O-Chuls choice: Go. He played it during his downtime AND his actions influenced the fate of the universe at the same time. Now that's multitasking.

Nice. What's good enough for O-Chul is good enough for me. Not sure I fancy taking a dip in the Arctic Sea though. Brrrr

Jaxzan Proditor
2018-01-07, 12:50 AM
I think I’d choose Settlers of Catan, although I enjoy Chess too. If I knew how to play Go I’d play that. :smalltongue:

I’d better post this quickly before I continue thinking about all the board games I could choose from.

Emanick
2018-01-07, 03:20 PM
Parcheesi actually sounds perfect. Nice and low-pressure.

Euclidodese
2018-01-07, 03:28 PM
I am sure this is a reference to the fact that where we come from, Parcheesi is just called Ludo. So see the thread title.I had no idea what Parcheesi was, Ludo can be very epic at times, games can go on for longer than logic would dictate is possible.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-07, 07:32 PM
I had no idea what Parcheesi was, Ludo can be very epic at times, games can go on for longer than logic would dictate is possible.

That does not sound like a selling point to me.

oonker
2018-01-08, 07:07 AM
Ticket to Ride is good. I can't get anyone in my family to like it so it's not in our collection. I've not tried Splendor.

Ticket to Ride is my all favorite relaxing game. Have all the expansions, 10th year anniversary and base games (except rails and sails).

tomandtish
2018-01-08, 07:44 PM
I sort of missed the boat on Catan. I know it's a good game but I could not get into it from the few games I've played. Now it's expensive.

I can agree with that. I like the game, but it has a huge problem...

Buy game.... 2-4 people can play. Must buy expansion for5-6 players.

Then everything that comes out is the same basic thing. A 4 person board and a 2 person expansion. And even on Amazon you pay $40 for a base set and $20 to allow 5-6 players. So I just own the one set (and expansion).

dps
2018-01-10, 11:42 AM
Campaign for North Africa.

brian 333
2018-01-10, 04:34 PM
How long has it been since anyone played Third Reich? My copy was lost in the flood two years ago, along with Ghettysburg and Tactics. I think Avalon Hill died when Panzer General came out.

KorvinStarmast
2018-01-10, 06:42 PM
How long has it been since anyone played Third Reich? My copy was lost in the flood two years ago, along with Ghettysburg and Tactics. I think Avalon Hill died when Panzer General came out. I still have Waterloo that we bought in 1971, my older brother and I. He has Afrika Korps. I think I got D-Day and he got France 1940.

Sinewmire
2018-01-11, 06:10 AM
Rock, Paper, Wizard if I don't have much time, or Henchmania if I do.

D.One
2018-01-11, 06:39 AM

Agreed. That way, the world will last forever (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html)...

Crusher
2018-01-11, 12:19 PM
Diplomacy or Empires in Arms, depending on the time available and the tolerance for complicated rules of my playing companions.

Those games rule.

Crusher
2018-01-11, 12:20 PM
Rock, Paper, Wizard if I don't have much time, or Henchmania if I do.

I know its not actually a board game, but I have to chime in with Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

AutomatedTeller
2018-01-12, 06:52 PM
How long has it been since anyone played Third Reich? My copy was lost in the flood two years ago, along with Ghettysburg and Tactics. I think Avalon Hill died when Panzer General came out.

I'm literally playing a game of it now over email.

Knaight
2018-01-12, 07:02 PM
I have got into so much trouble at work for not liking monopoly, I wonder if there is a forum rule against not liking monopoly. If we were restricted to games mentioned in comic I would pick Jenga, but I also like poleconomy.

There's board game nerds on this forum. Most of us hold Monopoly in open contempt.

As for the question, probably Tak or Element.

Crusher
2018-01-13, 05:22 PM

Woo. Third Reich. Wow. I think last played that in... 1991? Been quite a while.

RatElemental
2018-01-14, 03:04 AM
I know its not actually a board game, but I have to chime in with Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Rock paper scissors is actually a mathematically interesting game... even though I find it quite boring. You can scale it up as much as you want as long as the number of options each player has is odd. Then you just take the number of both choices, if they're both odd or even the lower one wins and if one is odd the other even the higher one wins. The same one ties with itself of course.

Mad Humanist
2018-01-14, 03:53 AM
Rock paper scissors is actually a mathematically interesting game... even though I find it quite boring. You can scale it up as much as you want as long as the number of options each player has is odd. Then you just take the number of both choices, if they're both odd or even the lower one wins and if one is odd the other even the higher one wins. The same one ties with itself of course.

Specifically it is a simple test case to test the Evolutionarily Stable Strategies (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165176512006532). I have not read the paper but it is not difficult to work out what sort of results it should contain I think.

The game Evolution (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155703/evolution) could be seen as a glorified version of Rock, Paper, Scissors as every trait has a nemesis trait and is a nemesis trait.

I have got into so much trouble at work for not liking monopoly, I wonder if there is a forum rule against not liking monopoly.

There's board game nerds on this forum. Most of us hold Monopoly in open contempt.

As for the question, probably Tak or Element.

Specifically the conversation went something like:
Colleague: What do you like to do in your spare time.
Me: I like to play boardgames.
Colleague: I know what boardgame you like best. You like monopoly.

The colleague has never forgiven me for my reply. I recently had a scare that they would become my manager which has thankfully been averted.