PDA

View Full Version : How many RPG sessions do you play in (Weekly, Monthly, Whatever)

lylsyly
2018-01-05, 10:51 AM
Reading another thread where the person said he was in 3 games and starting a fourth got my curiosity up. How many different games are you in.

Myself; My home group (gotta find another word for that) has been together for a long time (3 of us since '76 and the newest of the 6 started with us in '98). We play a Friday Night Game, Two Saturday Games, and a Sunday Game, All different campaigns with Different DM/GM.

I also play a Wednesday Night Game with another group.

What's your story.

Tinkerer
2018-01-05, 11:21 AM
Reading another thread where the person said he was in 3 games and starting a fourth got my curiosity up. How many different games are you in.

Myself; My home group (gotta find another word for that) has been together for a long time (3 of us since '76 and the newest of the 6 started with us in '98). We play a Friday Night Game, Two Saturday Games, and a Sunday Game, All different campaigns with Different DM/GM.

I also play a Wednesday Night Game with another group.

What's your story.

Right now I'm lucky to play in one game every 2 weeks, sometimes every 3 or 4. For the games that I GM it's once every 1-3 weeks, usually for 3 hour sessions. However in terms of the number of different campaigns that I'm in it is currently between 4 and 12 depending on how you count them.

Yes this means sometimes for those campaigns we only play them once or twice a year, those are usually supporting campaigns such as an NPC campaign where we play important NPCs in the town that our epic PCs founded. Hence why I said it depends on how you count the campaign.

Blackjackg
2018-01-05, 11:28 AM
Right now, I've got one weekly game and two biweekly games, with three different groups (albeit with some slight overlap: my partner is in both the Tuesday and Friday groups, and another friend is in both Tuesday and Saturday). It works nicely.

BWR
2018-01-05, 12:05 PM
Once a week with one of the games I run. Technically I'm in more games but sessions of these have been getting fewer and fewer over the years.

INDYSTAR188
2018-01-05, 01:15 PM
I DM a twice-monthly 5E campaign but it's usually every 3 or 4 weeks instead of every 2 as we intended. It happens, two of us have kiddos and we generally have a dinner together and let the kids play while we go downstairs and roll some dice! This has been going on for almost two years. I was DMing a game that lasted about four years (4E) but it fizzled when most of the group moved or lost interest. This time it's a closer circle of people so hopefully that'll help our longevity.

Jama7301
2018-01-05, 02:26 PM
One... annually. At least, that's the current pace.

Ideally, I'd like to run two different games on alternating weeks. Wanted to try to run the same/similar campaign/world in both DnD5e and Dungeon World, but adult schedules are a pain to coordinate sometimes.

NRSASD
2018-01-05, 02:29 PM
I DM two once-a-week games, typically 5 hour sessions. One is very fixed and happens every Sunday at 7pm, while the other happens when we can get everyone together in the same room. I get to play once a blue moon, but such is the life of a sought after DM haha

Knaight
2018-01-05, 05:21 PM
My RPG schedule oscillates all over the place, but it generally ends up at either a dead period or somewhere between once per two weeks and twice per week. At present I'm running what I call One Shot Club once a week, where every session somebody runs a one shot with whoever comes up. We jump genres, we jump systems, and the structure is set up to jump between GMs, although thus far that's strictly theoretical and it's just me GMing.

I'd like to add a campaign to that (particularly if other people decide to grab a game to GM every so often), but OSC is weirdly prep heavy and came about precisely because it was logistically easier than getting the same people together consistently. Sure, you get wild swings in group size (3-9 players plus a GM thus far), but at least you don't have to deal with that in setting.

Ideally, I'd like to run two different games on alternating weeks. Wanted to try to run the same/similar campaign/world in both DnD5e and Dungeon World, but adult schedules are a pain to coordinate sometimes.
This is why I made OSC. Schedule coordination got sufficiently out of hand that I just gave up, established a standard meeting time and place, invited a bunch of people to show up if they could and they felt like it, and called it a day.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-01-05, 05:22 PM
Three games a week.

3 hours, 4-5 hours, 5-6 hours.

Mike Miller
2018-01-05, 06:16 PM
I play twice a week. Three campaigns in two groups. We alternate DMs in one of the groups so that group has two campaigns. I DM in two of the campaigns. All online

DataNinja
2018-01-06, 12:29 AM
I GM three campaigns, and play in three others, though all are play-by-post, so it's not a huge time commitment. (Besides, it's how I relax.)

Seerow
2018-01-06, 12:35 AM
I have one gaming group, we alternate DMs every 3-6 months, playing on average every 2 weeks. While it's not a super frequent schedule, we do at least average fairly long sessions, typically running 8-10 hours with a meal break.

Psyren
2018-01-06, 02:32 AM
One weekly (3.P) and one monthly (WoD).

MrNobody
2018-01-06, 03:35 AM
One weekly, me being the GM, custom system and setting, 3-4 hours games.

We play with the "everyone -1" formula: we play even if one of the players (one of five) is missing. This helps us to skip as less weekly enconters as possible.

Guizonde
2018-01-06, 08:44 AM
i play in two campaigns, one that's weekly and the other every two weeks. only problem? they're both on fridays. so every second week i run from the first session that starts around 6h30 and ends at 10pm and go play from 10h30 to pretty much dawn. i like those sessions. reminds me of when i was at uni and did truly marathonian sessions lasting 20+ hours 4 times a week.

comicshorse
2018-01-06, 08:49 AM
1) Changeling the Lost - Meant to be weekly effectively bi-weekly. Tuesday
2) RuneQuest- Weekly. Wednesday
3) 5th Edition Dnd-Weekly. Thursday
4) Warhammer 2nd Edition- Monthly.Friday
5) Serenity- Monthly. Saturday.
6) Rogue Trader- Monthly. Sunday

The Serenity and Warhammer are played at a friends house in another city. So we go up for the weekend to game and hang out, other friends come from where they live.

Faily
2018-01-06, 04:27 PM
- Weekly game with BWR and a few other players (usually Pathfinder, but we sometimes take breaks to play something else).
- Bi-weeklyish Pathfinder with another group (graduated from 3.5 to PF).

Have a couple of other groups too (with BWR again), but sessions can go long in-between. One is a 3.5-group where the current GM recently became a father, so we're not expecting much to happen there yet. Have an Ars Magica group that is plagued with a very busy main GM. Then an L5R-group that only get together a few times a year (but when we do, we play for a few days straight).

So I usually get my fix with play-by-post and a good community there. Mostly we play L5R, but we've branched out to Star Wars and SIFRP as well the past years.

Koeh
2018-01-07, 09:56 PM
My main group had to split due to schedule conflicts after 5 years together. I have not had a consistant group since, usually breaking up after a few weeks.

Ive only recently gotten to start gaming again in one group, with my gf and another couple. Im forced to DM, but just glad to play again after years of nothing.

RazorChain
2018-01-07, 10:04 PM
Currently I run a bi weekly game that has been going for a couple of years. We usually play in 5-7 hour sessions

Then I play occasionally with my old group which is in another country, usually they just put me on a conference call. Then we have our yearly game marathon weekend.

Mr Beer
2018-01-07, 10:06 PM
1 session per fortnight, alternating between a game I run and a game someone else runs.

AshfireMage
2018-01-08, 01:15 AM
Ongoing PBP (V20) and 2-5 hour meeting weekly when school is in session (been playing with the same group for 3 years, but just switched from 3.5E to VtM Revised because I took over as GM and that's what I wanted to run)

jojo
2018-01-08, 02:49 AM
Currently I play in 4 games per week on average.

Crake
2018-01-08, 03:49 AM
3 games that run weekly (one of which I DM), though with two of them we have to organize around two shift workers, so sometimes we don't fit all 3 games in, plus another one that runs monthly.

SirGraystone
2018-01-08, 02:46 PM
I DM two campaign weekly, Tomb of Annihilation and a 5e conversion of Savage Tide, and play in a 3rd one.

Black Knight 2k
2018-02-01, 03:52 PM
2 days a week, 3-7 hour sessions, for the last 7 years.
From what I've gathered this is extremely lucky.

ko_sct
2018-02-05, 11:25 AM
We play once a week. With the occasionnal skipped week.

We used to alternate every week between 2 games (one dnd 5e and the other gurps) with two different game master to avoid burn out and running out of idea. But one of our player never know if he'll be able to make it so we simply switched to our dnd game by default and play our gurps game when he can make it.

Honestly I can't imagine playing more often right now.

The only thing that make me sad is how short the sessions are. When we were young, my brother, my friend and I used to play 12h sessions. Now our sessions are only small 4h periods. Barely scratch that gaming itch

Consensus
2018-02-05, 12:08 PM
I dm for a game monday, now for a separate game tuesday, and play in one wednesday. All have sessions of about 1-2 hours, which can make progress painful

Consensus
2018-02-05, 12:24 PM
We play once a week. With the occasionnal skipped week.

We used to alternate every week between 2 games (one dnd 5e and the other gurps) with two different game master to avoid burn out and running out of idea. But one of our player never know if he'll be able to make it so we simply switched to our dnd game by default and play our gurps game when he can make it.

Honestly I can't imagine playing more often right now.

The only thing that make me sad is how short the sessions are. When we were young, my brother, my friend and I used to play 12h sessions. Now our sessions are only small 4h periods. Barely scratch that gaming itch

Wow... my group can manage to get everyone together for a four hour session only in the summer months, I am so jealous that you can have sessions that long. Then again, I'm spoiled in that I have three games running a week.

AshfireMage
2018-02-05, 12:54 PM
The in-person game I've been STing for is more-or-less dying off due to lack of player commitment and my own busy life, but to replace it, my pbp group has decided to start a 40k game to run alongside the vampire one. Funness!

denthor
2018-02-05, 02:18 PM
I have one every Friday.

There was one I was invited to upon hearing it was me the 4 people who dropped promptly came back with three others in tow saying we do not want that man to play. Filling the game beyond capacity. It finally broke down about month later.

Wasteomana
2018-02-05, 04:14 PM
My games:
Epic Campaign - 6hr D&D4e game I get paid to run. It runs every other Sunday and has for almost 7 years.
Warhammer 40k (Only War) - 4hr on the opposite Sunday as the epic campaign. Also running as a paid DM
The Guild Living Campaign - D&D4e. I play and run when I have time (no money involved). They tend to run between 4 and 12 sessions a week, averaging about 9 a week. Of those if I have time I tend to play in one or two a week and run one or two a week. This week I'm running 2 5hour games and I'll likely play in 2 games (length depends on DM, but usually between 4-6 hours). There was a time when I wasn't working and the guild was really active that I was running the Epic campaign, playing in a Iron Kingdoms game, running 3-4 games in guild a week and playing in 3-4 games a week in guild. Was sorta crazy, but bills be bills.

KillianHawkeye
2018-02-08, 06:21 PM
Okay, so my gaming group meets weekly on Sundays, but we rotate DMing duties every week. So right now I am playing in three games and DMing one myself (we play D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder mostly), but those games rotate one after the other so I basically DM one week a month and play in a different game each week on the other three weeks.

It means that the games last kind of a long time in real time, but we're all busy adults and doing a rotation means there's plenty of time for each DM to prepare for their next game rather than pinning all the hard work on one person. We find it to be a good system for ourselves, at any rate.

Friv
2018-02-08, 07:20 PM
At the moment I run one tabletop game a week, play in a LARP once a week, and am about to play in a second tabletop game that will be either weekly or bi-weekly, not sure which.

This is somewhat more than I'm used to; traditionally, I do one or two games a week.

Miz_Liz
2018-03-20, 03:21 PM
It's in major fluctuation right now, but starting in May I'll have five games a week. A Dresden Files, Chronicles of Darkness, a 4e D&D and two 5e games.

All online late-night because sleep is for the weak. What is really fun is that the majority of those games are all with the same group, we just shift around DMing.

LordCdrMilitant
2018-03-20, 03:50 PM
Currently, I run Deathwatch every Sunday, and play in a Rogue Trader game every Thursday. That's 2/week.

I also play 40k and other misc board games with the same people on Tuesday & Saturday, respectively, so that's 4 days of the week dedicated to gaming.

FelineArchmage
2018-03-20, 05:00 PM
On a weekly basis with the same group, we play Monday and Friday night. Friday night is the same campaign every week, and Monday we do a rotation of 4 different games with 3 different DMs.

I also play every once in awhile (I would say roughly every other month) as a DM for my cousin and her friends.

And if everyone is magically free, we sometimes play spur of the moment with whoever's available, but that's very rare.

Hurske
2018-03-20, 06:29 PM
As I now (in my 30's) find computer games not keeping my interests. Running games is taking over for part of my life's entertainment.

I run biweekly games. My main campaign is a face to face 5e game. Then I run FF star wars, and just recently picked up two groups for Savage Worlds Interface Zero.

But I wish to be a player one day :'(