PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Spells Per Day

MrZJunior
2018-01-05, 10:54 AM
I understand how to figure out how many spells a wizard has at the beginning of first level. But how do you figure out how many spells they are allowed to prepare per day?

Oracle71
2018-01-05, 11:01 AM
The number of spells prepared is the number the PHB or SRD description of the wizard class tells you, plus bonus spells based on your Intelligence score, which I think is under the description of ability scores in the PHB or SRD.

Fouredged Sword
2018-01-05, 11:12 AM
You have spell slots granted each day after 8 hours of rest. You can prepair any number of spells in any empty slots with 15 minutes of study. Most wizards do this and fill all open slots each morning, but some leave some slots open to fill later with spells you need.

2018-01-05, 11:19 AM
In 3.5 (and derivatives like PF), your spell slots per day is also the number of prepared slots you have. That is to say, in each of your spell slots, you must prepare a particular spell.

Thus, if you have 5 1st lvl spell slots and 2 2nd lvl spell slots, you prepare 7 spells; if there's a spell you wish to cast multiple times throughout the day, you must prepare that spell in multiple slots. For example, if your spellbook has Charm Person, Enlarge Person, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, and Summon Monster I in it, you could prepare each of those spells in one slot each, and get to cast them each once throughout the day, or you could prepare (for example) Charm Person twice, Mage Armor once, and Enlarge Person twice, and you could cast those spells twice/once/twice throughout the day (but would be unable to cast either Magic Missile or Summon Monster I).

Daefos
2018-01-05, 11:20 AM
You have spell slots granted each day after 8 hours of rest. You can prepair any number of spells in any empty slots with 15 minutes of study. Most wizards do this and fill all open slots each morning, but some leave some slots open to fill later with spells you need.

Fifteen minutes is the minimum time required. It takes an hour if you want to fill all your slots, and proportionately less time (in fifteen-minute increments) if you prepare proportionately less spells.

MrZJunior
2018-01-05, 11:23 AM

I understand that. What I don't understand is how many slots I get.

Fouredged Sword
2018-01-05, 11:33 AM
Read this table.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#wizard

This is your base spell slots per day for every wizard level you have.

You get bonus spells per bay based on your int. Read the table under this paragraph and add the number there to each spell level you have an entry for in the first table. You get no spells from int for any spell level listed as "-" on the wizard table.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores

Mordaedil
2018-01-08, 06:24 AM
I understand that. What I don't understand is how many slots I get.

Probably 3. Maybe 4.