PDA

View Full Version : [PF] want to work on a module for pathfinder, looking for some advice and help

elanfanboy
2018-01-05, 11:00 AM
\Hey fellow rompers of playgrounds,
I've been toying with the idea of writing up a module for a while now, and i'm looking for advice on what will be my first Homebrew pathfinder module, specifically a dungeon module, the module takes place in the homebrew setting i've neen using for a while now, Crestfull, and any advice would be very appreciated.

jqavins
2018-01-05, 03:17 PM
Not enough information. Pretty far from enough. Tell a little about Crestfull. Say more than "a dungeon crawl" for the type of adventure you want.

JeenLeen
2018-01-05, 03:29 PM
As general advice: if you haven't already, read a lot of Pathfinder modules to get a good feel for how they are written and tend to work. Similarly, play modules with a variety of DMs or even run some modules for Pathfinder Society. Get a feel for how it works from both a DM and a player end.

That should give you perspective for the pitfalls and cool things in modules, and how to avoid the pitfall.

I have no idea how it works professionally to get published, if that's what you mean, but the above should help with both writing something that Pathfinder would publish and writing a module folk could use.

---

In some more specific senses, make sure that the module works well for a variety of party compositions. I wouldn't worry too much about an optimized tier 1 party steamrolling everything; rather, check that if an 'average' party were engaged, would all have time to shine and things to enjoy? On the other hand, don't make a party member required. Sure, have traps, but don't make it death or near-crippling if there's nobody good at spotting traps.

Also, follow the rule of three, that is, if you want a plot hook to get the players' attention, have at least three ways it can be discovered. Less likely that players feel railroaded, while also less likely DMs get frustrated trying to use the module.

Lastly (but similarly), I think most modules have a mix of 'railroad' plot that's generally accepted, since players are sitting down to play a module. There's a certain assumption that the party is there for a particular reason. This can be easy if you are doing Pathfinder Society where, in-universe, the PCs are members of the Pathfinder Society, as that justifies their being there. ...I'm tired and having trouble putting this into words, but I guess be cautious of making just one way things can succeed (too railroady) verses trying to capture all caveats and potentialities (since it's a module and some assumptions are acceptable.)

jqavins
2018-01-05, 04:31 PM
JeenLeen's sounds like very good advice. My response above it was based on the assumption that you are looking for plot ideas and the like.

Another good piece of general advice is don't make the plot depend on the characters making a certain mistake. I was a player in a V&V module once where the team was supposed to be protecting a VIP who was giving a speech. We heard gunshots outside the auditorium and agreed that it was probably a diversion, so just two out of the five of us went to check it out. It was a diversion, but involved a real threat to bystanders. The real attack came while the main team was short handed. And we won the fights on both fronts, saving everybody.

But the thing is, the module's author stated in the GM's notes that any hero worth his cape would immediately rush outside when the shots were heard, and the VIP was supposed to be kidnapped. Since we hadn't behaved in a sufficiently hero-like manner, we were to be penalized experience points. (Our GM decided that was nonsense and awarded experience appropriately.)

Don't do dumb stuff like that. If you need a given event to go a given way, don't assume that the PCs will screw up, don't arbitrarily deprive them of saves or options, etc. If the villain really has to succeed, then make sure the villain has a legitimately fool proof plan. And if the PCs foil it anyhow, accept defeat gracefully. (The villain doesn't have to be gracefull about it, just the author.)

elanfanboy
2018-01-06, 12:21 AM
Okay, perhaps i wasn't very clear with my first post, but i was a bit rushed writing it, sorry. what i am specifically looking for is a little help on the dungeon design (in this sense, i mean making it look professional looking, but considering i don't yet know what I'm gonna stock the dungeon with, or what levels they would be, i need a little help in the other aspect as well), and some general elements of the dungeon, i will give the background of the module as asked for.

The module occurs in the future of the campaign i am currently running, as i didn't feel like writing an adventure for my current campaign, but i digress; the quest centers on rumors of the king of the old kingdom, as the historians know it as, due to the name of the kingdom was erased from history, and the sword of the king from that kingdom, who had his kingdom taken y the kingdom of Crestfull after the Great War. the sword. known as Eradicator is rumored to have been hidden in the ruins of the royal mausoleum by the king's adviser, Timeous.

The background is slightly cheesy, but i hope to make it a bit cleaner after i know more about whats in the dungeon itself, or at least a bit deeper.

So essentially, i am looking for some collaboration in designing the module, and yes, i will give full recognition to the individuals as a part of the module, it will also be put up on this thread for public use, but only for those who manage to find this thread, otherwise I'll probably have it for sale on some website.

elanfanboy
2018-01-06, 11:35 AM
well of course i wouldn't assume they fail, after all isn't it better to assume they don't? i mean, if they fail they likely die, and therefore can't move on in the dungeon anyways.

one more thing, i don't yet have a level cap, but i'm gonna say i want this to be either 9th or 10th level, and i still don't know what i want the boss to be, so I'm gonna scroll through the bestiary, though i fell like i'm gonna want some type of NPC with class abilities, also, there is a rival party they are against, these are meant to do nothing other than provide a nuisance, after all, the PCs aren't the only adventurers for hire available.

jqavins
2018-01-06, 04:37 PM
I'll be mulling this over in the hours to come, but there is one obvious thought that I think is pretty good: the final opponent is the old king himself, as a revenent, ghost, or some such undead. He sees the party as nothing but grave robbers, which they pretty much are. (Adventurers are actually grave robbers nearly as often as they are murder hobos, if not more so.) So on meeting him they must decide whether to fight him and "recover" the sword, or give it up despite the potential reward and what they've already gone through.

elanfanboy
2018-01-09, 06:38 AM
I like that idea, i wuld just need to figure out what type of undead would work best and reskin it. though making him a lich and having the sword as the phylactery would be interesting, especially if they didn't realize it.

jqavins
2018-01-09, 03:58 PM
Here's one I pulled on my players once, suitable for a tomb expedition: there is dust on things all over the place. In one key room, the dust includes an inhalation poison.
"I blow the dust off the book and see if I can read it."
"Make a fort save."

elanfanboy
2018-01-10, 10:52 AM
That one's great, and it could be explained by some type of spore that settled. that would prove enjoyable to watch as well.:smallamused:

elanfanboy
2018-01-16, 01:29 PM
ok, So Im gonna make the king a ghost, due to his kingdom being taken over after he lost the war, and according to the pathfinder ghost rules, it would make perfect sense as to him getting angry at the PCs for trying to steal his weapon.

JeenLeen
2018-01-19, 01:39 PM
That one's great, and it could be explained by some type of spore that settled. that would prove enjoyable to watch as well.:smallamused:

Since you haven't yet decided on what to stock the dungeon with, using various fungoid monsters could work. Also works for traps. You could also throw in some vengeful spirits of dead guardsmen.
A hidden (but not incredibly well-hidden) door leading to a small storage room could contain some historical information for the party, perhaps mentioning how the enemy poisoned their food shipment with spores, that the guards who housed up with the king swore to protect him for all time. Gives hints to justify the enemies' presence.
Also, with enemies like that, your dungeon looks realistic without you having to worry about a habitable ecosystem. You could throw in a couple random monsters that moved in mainly to feed on the fungus, to vary it up.

This is also more fair to be the players, giving them a hint to be suspicious for poisons like quoted above.

elanfanboy
2018-01-21, 08:06 PM
Wow. I probably would've never thought of that, I'm glad that there are people who I can discuss such things with. :smallsmile:

jqavins
2018-01-22, 11:03 AM
Wow. I probably would've never thought of that, I'm glad that there are people who I can discuss such things with. :smallsmile:
So, do we get credit when the module is published? :smallwink: (Yes, I mean every word of my sig, but...)

elanfanboy
2018-01-26, 03:21 PM
Well of course I will give credit, right next to my name in the authors section, though that would require the actual name, so probably best not to release that over the forums, otherwise I will just give a special thanks to the ideas supplied by this thread.

elanfanboy
2018-02-02, 06:20 PM
Can someone get me some good cover art for this? My google-Fu sucks. :smallfrown:
Especially when you want an uncopyrighted image.

jqavins
2018-02-02, 09:04 PM
I have a feeling that finding an image that is 1) just right for your module, (B) in the public domain, and <iii> unfamiliar to most people is a job that even the great masters of Google Fu would struggle with. I think your chance of success is better asking for someone to create the cover art. Post here in Homebrew Design, in the Arts and Crafts forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?27-Arts-and-Crafts), and/or on other forum sites and I bet you'll get someone easily. (One of the first threads over on Arts and Crafts is this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549830-Drakken-Drawings-Bespoke-Illustrations), just for example.)

elanfanboy
2018-02-03, 11:44 PM
Thanks m8, you are very helpful!