PDA

View Full Version : Rub my Clock!

Wraithy
2007-08-23, 08:38 AM
Coming up in a few days is a silly session between campaigns. at first I was going to play a tree, but I became too complicated. the only rule about our characters is that they have to be animated objects.
I'm still unsure of what to play as, probably something melee based. the big question is what object to be, I think the party allready has a recliner, a wardrobe, and a grand piano. any suggestions?

nagora
2007-08-23, 08:40 AM
Coming up in a few days is a silly session between campaigns. at first I was going to play a tree, but I became too complicated. the only rule about our characters is that they have to be animated objects.
I'm still unsure of what to play as, probably something melee based. the big question is what object to be, I think the party allready has a recliner, a wardrobe, and a grand piano. any suggestions?

How about an upright piano that has a complex about the grand piano's fame as a concert performer?

Reminds me of the old "living room" dungeon.

Tormsskull
2007-08-23, 08:44 AM
Boy did I read that title wrong...

How about a teapot?

Fixer
2007-08-23, 08:48 AM
Be a rebel... BE A SPORK!!!!!

A SPORK ROGUE!!!!

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-23, 08:49 AM
Animated katana? With a god complex?

kamikasei
2007-08-23, 09:04 AM

As far as party balance it sounds like you're in need of arcane casting.

Or a credenza.

Actually, now you've got me itching to stat up an animated bookshelf wizard full of magical tomes. Circumstance bonuses to knowledge checks abound!

Melee... melee... a sword stand?

Avaris
2007-08-23, 09:26 AM
An axe that srikes fear into all the other pieces of furniture at some sort of primeval, woody level?

banjo1985
2007-08-23, 09:28 AM
Best. Thread Title. Ever.

Anyhow, how about an animated stuffed teddy bear? You could sit on the recliner, hide in the wardrobe and even play the piano! And having arms would be a good thing if you want to be melee based!

ZekeArgo
2007-08-23, 09:29 AM
As far as party balance it sounds like you're in need of arcane casting.

Or a credenza.

Actually, now you've got me itching to stat up an animated bookshelf wizard full of magical tomes. Circumstance bonuses to knowledge checks abound!

Melee... melee... a sword stand?

No, if you need to go into melee then you've got to be an Armored Armoire

Wraith
2007-08-23, 09:33 AM
Personally, I'd go for a Cuckoo Clock's Cuckoo:

*rolls initiative*
DM: "Okay Cuckoo Clock Cuckoo, you go first."
CCC: *Shoots out* "Cuckoo-SPLAT!"
Enemy: "OH GOD, MY EYE! HE TOOK MY EYE!!!"

Then claim you're hidden and/or armoured inside the casing, and therefore immune to damage.

Trust me, that would NEVER get old :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-23, 09:34 AM
No, if you need to go into melee then you've got to be an Armored Armoire
Or an Armoire of Invincibility.

Sir Giacomo
2007-08-23, 10:48 AM
I guess a party of animated objects should have creatures as items.

DM: OK, you overcame the deadly rust monster.
P1 (playing a grappling hook): Phewey, that was close, lost almost half my abilities. Quick. What treasure has it got?
DM: Well...it looks like a wizard who has not run out of spells for the day.
P2 (the cart): Awww. I already got three of those - and you can only use so many charm persons when most of your enemies are animated. Perhaps you?
P3 (a stick): yes, that's OK, I'm a bit low on ranged creatures. My monk's flurries are not really that great. I'll take the wizard, the others get the dust the monster had accumlated- maybe we can use that for healing our metal parts later?...etc.

- Giacomo

Wraithy
2007-08-23, 11:12 AM
I might go for barbarian, how do I work out the rage?
(there is something that constructs use instead of con modifier, you can see it if you look at an animated object's hit point calculation)

BRC
2007-08-23, 11:18 AM
I Say you go couch/bed

Jothki
2007-08-23, 01:18 PM
If you want something specifically built for combat, how about a stuffed ram's head?

Redblade
2007-08-23, 01:28 PM
Play a hat stand. Or a slipper tree. Or what ever has the most 'limbs'.

Or play a coffee table with a glass top. You can stand on your hind legs and throw people though your window.

Or maybe an animated suit of armor. That was literally built for combat.

jjpickar
2007-08-23, 01:36 PM
Play as a grandfatherly grandfather clock who whacks the younger whippersnappers with his pendulum.

kamikasei
2007-08-23, 01:36 PM
I might go for barbarian, how do I work out the rage?
(there is something that constructs use instead of con modifier, you can see it if you look at an animated object's hit point calculation)

Constructs get bonus hit points based on their size. Look under the information on the Construct type. It's not a general-purpose replacement for the Con modifier.

Wraithy
2007-08-23, 01:41 PM
the DM has just said that we have to be furniture, so sadly weapons are off the menu, but clocks, pianos, hat stands, and many other things are still on.
thanks people who've posted

Quincunx
2007-08-23, 01:55 PM
"Credenzas like you have ruined your own lands, you won't ruin mine!"
"And it doesn't match the throw pillows!"

Alternately, be a charging-attack end table that lunges at people's shins.

DrummingDM
2007-08-23, 02:20 PM
Go with a regular old table chair. You've been seperated from your siblings (the other chairs in your set) and your mother (the table), and you desperately want to reconnect with them. You see the recliner in the group as a cousin, treat it as so, always getting buddy-buddy with him. Maybe you miss the comfort of being pushed under a table so much that you will frequently slide under the piano when it's not paying attention, leading to frequent awkward moments when the piano catches you.

goat
2007-08-23, 02:22 PM
A dressing gown.

Blue, with stripes.

DraPrime
2007-08-23, 02:23 PM
Boy did I read that title wrong...

You're not the only one.

I recommend a sharp piece of glass.

Enemy: Hey, who broke some glassin in my roo- OH MY GOD THE GLASS IS STABBING MY EYES OUT!

rollfrenzy
2007-08-23, 02:29 PM
RUB YOUR WHA?.... oh Clock, yeah, uh I knew that, I wasn't about to report anyhting.

An EMO oriental rug whose tired of always getting walked all over?

A knick-knack Shelf with Multiple Personality disorder, Basically each little animal shaped knick-knack figurine has it's own personality and takes control at various and random times.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-08-23, 02:37 PM
Sandwich. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=8570529&postcount=31) That's what you need.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-23, 03:02 PM
portable ram.

p.s. generic pc is already a sandwich.

BRC
2007-08-23, 03:04 PM
Sandwich. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=8570529&postcount=31) That's what you need.
I once defeated an encounter entierly through the use of a sandwhich.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-23, 03:05 PM
Animate wand with one charge left.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-08-23, 03:28 PM
Try... a statue. Like the ever popular fountain head of the little boy peeing.

Or for a less humanoid object... a menorah. Like playing Lumiere on crack. Can't go wrong with 6 attacks a round. :smallamused:

Wolf_Shade
2007-08-23, 03:32 PM
the DM has just said that we have to be furniture, so sadly weapons are off the menu, but clocks, pianos, hat stands, and many other things are still on.
thanks people who've posted

Be an animated rug. Convince the DM you should get the "swallow whole" ability and improved grapple with crushing damage.

Fhaolan
2007-08-23, 04:07 PM
Furniture? Try one of those fancy full-length oval mirrors on the wheeled stands. :)

DraPrime
2007-08-23, 06:45 PM
Hmm, furniture? A set of drawers. When an enemy gets close just have some of the drawers move out quickly and wack them. You'll hear "OW MY KNEES!!!" in no time.

Orak
2007-08-23, 07:57 PM
Play a Hide-a-bed. Anyone who has had to move one of those can attest to their ferocity. The matress springs out and attack when you are the least prepared.

Oooo...a hide-a-bed barbarian. When he goes into a rage his mattress unfolds and he increases a size category cause he is spread out now! And those painful mattress springs can cause extra damage.

Wraithy
2007-08-24, 11:54 AM
I've decided to play a throne (large animated object) in the shape of a giant hand. this also means that I could probably wield a light weapon meant for monsters with hands the size of me without penalty, but what size category would that be? It also means that I would have to sheath the weapon before moving (perhaps I could hop along slowly and make balance checks).
I still have no idea what class to play though
we allready have:
a large cupboard hulking hurler
a medium wardrobe warlock
and a large four poster bed (probably fighter)

Generic PC
2007-08-24, 12:03 PM

portable ram.

p.s. generic pc is already a sandwich.

He is right. Check out the Avatar. I called it... course, im not in this campaign...

So, As a Throne? get a Gargantuan Dagger. Just say that it works. it would do 2d6...

Wraithy
2007-08-24, 12:17 PM
nice. if I get a class with martial wrapon prificiency I'll make it a kukri or a short sword though, I'm getting the feat from the monster manual "awesome blow", because of the name. I would go for fighter but I'm not sure if there are more appropriate classes, and considering our four poster bed is probably going to be a fighter (maybe a cleric) I don't want to risk two of the same class in the party.