PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew action economy to prior to 5e

MrWesson22
2018-01-05, 02:09 PM
Has anyone else played 5e the old school way with action economy? Meaning an action becomes a standard action. You can substitute your standard action for an additional move or bonus action, and you can substitute your move action for an additional bonus action? How did it work? Did your players like the flexibility?

Vaz
2018-01-05, 02:55 PM
When was the Move Action > Bonus Action a thing?

And you already can give up your "Standard" Action for a "Move Action"; all characters, regardless of build, can Dash, which doubles their speed. Several players have enjoyed that I allow Bonus Actions to be done as an Action, however, but it's not something that is often used.

MrWesson22
2018-01-05, 03:01 PM
I know it was in 4e. I think it was in 3e as well, but it's been so long I can't remember.

OldTrees1
2018-01-05, 04:13 PM
I know it was in 4e. I think it was in 3e as well, but it's been so long I can't remember.

In 4E there was Move -> Minor. But Bonus Action does not behave as a Minor Action.
In 3E there was no Move -> Swift but there were cases of abilities that granted Swift -> specific Move or Standard.
In many ways (action cost, weight, availability, etc) 5E Bonus Actions parallel 3E Swift Actions more than 4E Minor Actions.