PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Size Changing and the Surroundings

FluffyTheAlien
2018-01-05, 03:57 PM
Hey, guys, I have been scouring the lands for information on how changing size (i.e. Enlarge Person) affects your surroundings (specifically adjacent moveable items).

For example, let's say my Draconic Sorcerer wants to use Form of the Dragon III to change into a Huge Green Dragon and he has a barrel to his left, an ally behind, and enemies to his right and in front. A medium creature takes up a single 5 ft. square, whereas a huge creature takes up 15 ft. What happens to the objects/creatures adjacent to my medium character when he becomes huge? Do they simply get pushed out of the way? Do I make a Strength, Reposition, or perhaps a Bull Rush check on each of the affected objects/creatures? What if there is a wall or drop-off between me and the item(s) in question?

My example relates specifically to Pathfinder, but I am interested to see how this is handled in other systems as well.

Falontani
2018-01-05, 04:36 PM
I would think it would be a lot like the breaking rules from 3.5 if you were shackled when you grew.

zergling.exe
2018-01-05, 06:36 PM
If you are two size categories larger than those creatures/objects (such as them all being medium size), then they would share your space, rather than be moved. If anything is large size or bigger, you would need to make a strength check to break, or move those, and if you fail you don't grow larger than the space you can occupy.

Necroticplague
2018-01-05, 08:48 PM
For the creatures, remember you can share space with creatures two size categories smaller than you. So those aren’t problem. For the the obstacles, that’s one of the scenarios where the squeezing rules comes up.

Khedrac
2018-01-06, 04:13 AM
Also remember that the rules state:
If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.

So, should you try to expend into a large dragon where there isn't room, the spell will just fail.

Gruftzwerg
2018-01-06, 09:02 AM
All about movement (part 6) (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040713a) from the 3.5 rules of the game archive could be of help.

There you find rules for bigger & smaller creature in the same space (you need 3 size category difference not 2!).

Further the Squeezing rule could be temporary applied to the big creature and maybe even the smaller creature (depends on wether or not the smaller creature needs to squeeze to).

Imho that should be enough to cover the situation.